Anyone remember the Piggly Wiggly off Valley Mills?

7,182 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Fat Daddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SSadler said:

CTbruin said:

70s. Not sure exact date
I went to work at the "First Baptist Church of Woodway, Waco" in Fall 1972 and by then the schools were all called 'Midway' but the residential (I can't remember any commercial) area was still "Woodway."

for the record: when I went to that position "Hewitt was a small bedroom community 5-8 miles away "out in the country". No commercial there as well.

I started Baylor in the summer of 1973.... and didn't even know there was a First - Woodway!

We moved to Woodway (off of Poage) in 2000... and even at that time Poage seemed like a long, long way from Richland Mall.
Chipoople
Either of these look familiar?

PartyBear
Which PW is that in the top picture?
Green&GoldStandard
CTbruin said:

HunterBear said:

My family would shop at the PW on Valley Mills across from Baylor Stadium in the 60's. Across the parking area from it was a hobby shop (model kits, etc.), Pirelo's Barber Shop (which sponsored the little league baseball team I played on) and a cleaners.

That's where we shopped in early 60s. It was closest to Midway.

Closer than the one in Robinson???
CTbruin
Yep

To get to Robinson, you had to go to the circle and take Hwy 77. It was the pre loop 340 days.
Green&GoldStandard
CTbruin said:

Yep

To get to Robinson, you had to go to the circle and take Hwy 77. It was the pre loop 340 days.

Gotcha
lrwells50
redfish961 said:

I remember those when I was a little kid visiting my grandparents in San Antonio.

I'm assuming they got bought out or went under. When did they disappear?
There's still a Piggly Wiggly in Clarksville, TX.
Scratchy Bear
Chipoople said:

Either of these look familiar?

Even then, HEB was proving it was the alpha of the grocery store chains by taking out a 1/4 page ad on a page devoted to Piggly Wiggly stories.
Green&GoldStandard
lrwells50 said:

redfish961 said:

I remember those when I was a little kid visiting my grandparents in San Antonio.

I'm assuming they got bought out or went under. When did they disappear?
There's still a Piggly Wiggly in Clarksville, TX.

Take the last night to Clarksville. Don't monkey around.

Yogi
SSadler said:

CTbruin said:

HunterBear said:

My family would shop at the PW on Valley Mills across from Baylor Stadium in the 60's. Across the parking area from it was a hobby shop (model kits, etc.), Pirelo's Barber Shop (which sponsored the little league baseball team I played on) and a cleaners.

When "Midway" was what the small community between Waco and McGregor was called. There was no "Woodway" then. CT, when did the citizens adopt "Woodway" as the encorporated name?

I don't think there was a name for Woodway, prior.

"Midway" probably indicated the midway point between South Bosque and Hewitt, whose school districts joined to form the "Midway" school district.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
Pronto Tonto said:

Did you hear the rumor that Piggly Wiggly and HEB are going to merge?

New store will be called The Wiggly Butt.
Well, damn, thank goodness HEB called off that merger with Tom Thumb, then...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
PartyBear
Yogi said:

SSadler said:

CTbruin said:

HunterBear said:

When "Midway" was what the small community between Waco and McGregor was called. There was no "Woodway" then. CT, when did the citizens adopt "Woodway" as the encorporated name?

I don't think there was a name for Woodway, prior.

"Midway" probably indicated the midway point between South Bosque and Hewitt, whose school districts joined to form the "Midway" school district.

I believe this what the Midway ISD name originated from. It had to do with at that time the rural community of Woodway and rural town of Hewitt sharing a school district.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Midway came about when they built Lake Waco and part of Speegleville was left underwater. It was called Midway because it was halfway between Hewitt and South Bosque. The town Woodway was created as people left the Waco ISD to escape anticipated desegregation. The name was a combination of Midway and Woodland West. The border of Midway ISD and Waco ISD is generally Bosque Blvd. but there are a few blocks of WISD on the Midway side of Bosque. I think this goes back to using Sanger before Bosque extended past SH 6 to end at Estates in Woodway.

https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/south-bosque-tx

I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
PartyBear
I think after consolidation lines were re drawn and Midway took over a chunk of the WISD territory you are speaking of. I'm speaking particularly of the area on the old WISD side of Bosque as you get close to Estates.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
No its three or four blocks . I remember there was a Westwood Community church there. I thibk it used to a Baptist church. Fairway Rd.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.