Old Chilis

8,909 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sampi82
ursamajor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody know what's going up where they demolished the old Chili's at VM and Bosque?
Coyote Bear
Slim Chickens
Eleven-League Grant
Anybody know whether the new owner had to pay for the building they just demolished, or whether instead the old owner ate it and just priced it for the land?

I hadn't been in the old Chili's in a while, but it was certainly not a bad-looking building.
ursamajor
I've never heard of Slim Chickens. That seems to be a tough corner. Where does Slim Chickens fall on the scale of Popeyes/Canes/CFA/BWW?
BUwolverine2012
ursamajor said:

I've never heard of Slim Chickens. That seems to be a tough corner. Where does Slim Chickens fall on the scale of Popeyes/Canes/CFA/BWW?

its ok. not as good as Canes imo. similar fast casual style to Cane's though. its a chain from Fayetteville.
Be present in all things and thankful for all things.
geewago
Just how many ways can you serve chicken ??
4th and Inches
geewago said:

Just how many ways can you serve chicken ??
not many yet canes, chick fila, and bushes are always busy

After looking at menu, they look like a blend of chick fila and wing stop...
1outawayBear
Wasn't it an Italian place after chili's?
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

More like Eye-talian.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Bexar Pitts
ursamajor said:

That was a great corner in the 60's as the home of Dan's Dairy Queen..Teens hung out on the huge parking lot and both solved and created many world problems. :-) I believe Frankenburger Gulf service station was also there a little closer to Valley Mills Drive.
whitetrash
1outawayBear said:

It was, but about 6-8 weeks after opening it scored something like a 70 on a health inspection. Didn't last long past that.

ursamajor
That spot seems like it could be something special again, but I'm not sure Slim Chickens is the answer. Though it may not take much to pass its neighbors Dickeys and Summer Palace.
Bexar Pitts
ursamajor said:

That spot seems like it could be something special again, but I'm not sure Slim Chickens is the answer. Though it may not take much to pass its neighbors Dickeys and Summer Palace.
If my memory serves me correctly, there was an issue years ago with EPA allowing a restaurant to go in that location due to soil samples taken that indicated there was leakage from the underground gasoline tanks from the old Gulf station there. Much remediation had to be done to pass EPA inspection. Finally did..and I'm like you in believing that location could be something special again.
Old300Bear
Always thought Baris should have moved in there. Great parking.
Fred Barber
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

If my memory serves me correctly, there was an issue years ago with EPA allowing a restaurant to go in that location due to soil samples taken that indicated there was leakage from the underground gasoline tanks from the old Gulf station there. Much remediation had to be done to pass EPA inspection. Finally did..and I'm like you in believing that location could be something special again.
Your memory is very good. Back when J.T. McCord's was the 'cool' place in Waco, Chili's bought that lot and there was great anticipation.

But, 'stuff' happens, and it took forever. Apparently, those old underground fuel tanks from the previous owner had been leaky and in addition to having them removed, they had to haul out a bunch of the 'hazardous' dirt and replace it before they started construction. I never knew 'who' had the pleasure of paying for that.

Of course, these days a Phase I and II environment site assessment would catch all that ahead of the deal. Maybe it did then. I just don't know.

McCords's was a casualty of Chili's success, though. I kind of miss that place. It's seems like they gave you a gallon of ranch dressing with practically everything you ordered. I used to joke that they kept it in the back in 55-gallon drums.
Bexar Pitts
Eleven-League Grant said:

Quote:

Your memory is very good. Back when J.T. McCord's was the 'cool' place in Waco, Chili's bought that lot and there was great anticipation.

But, 'stuff' happens, and it took forever. Apparently, those old underground fuel tanks from the previous owner had been leaky and in addition to having them removed, they had to haul out a bunch of the 'hazardous' dirt and replace it before they started construction. I never knew 'who' had the pleasure of paying for that.

Of course, these days a Phase I and II environment site assessment would catch all that ahead of the deal. Maybe it did then. I just don't know.

McCords's was a casualty of Chili's success, though. I kind of miss that place. It's seems like they gave you a gallon of ranch dressing with practically everything you ordered. I used to joke that they kept it in the back in 55-gallon drums.

I really liked J.T.'s also..I seem to remember a small waiting/bar area that had great Happy Hour drink specials...and cute waitresses too!
Grimm
Eleven-League Grant said:

It's seems like they gave you a gallon of ranch dressing with practically everything you ordered. I used to joke that they kept it in the back in 55-gallon drums.

My sister in law said Jason's deli had 10 gallon totes of ranch so that doesn't sound too far off.... I had high hopes for the Italian place, but I never got to go there. Haven't been to Baris in like 8 years because of parking. I thought they were stupid for not buying out the johnny carinos across the street...
Yogi
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BaylorHistory
I'll give Slim Chickens a shot, but I'm really interested to see Hawk's when it opens on 35. I love me some Nashville Hot Chicken and it looks like whomever is behind it has some $$$ invested in it based on the location, remodel, and the fact that it's already on the state interstate exit sign (btw how do restaurants end up on there?).

https://www.hawkshotchicken.com/
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
BaylorHistory
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

More like Eye-talian.
Yeah it was too much food which always a bad sign that they're trying to cover up a bad recipe.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
T-REX
Didnt know chillis closed. Where in Waco is chillis now?
1outawayBear
T-REX said:

Across from 'Baylor' HEB

Rip ghetto heb
T-REX
1outawayBear said:

T-REX said:

Across from 'Baylor' HEB

Rip ghetto heb
gotcha. When i come to town it is only for sporting events so i dont spend much time exploring. Thanks.
hill02
Hawks is owned by a former Baylor football player. I have sampled their chicken and it is excellent.

Can't wait for it to open up!
PartyBear
I have never heard of Hawks. Regarding Slim's Chicken, looks good but that is not a great location any longer unless you live in that part of Waco. It seems the future for restaurants in Waco, particularly chains, is along 35, or 340 near the intersection of 35 or possibly 84 from 340 westward.
T-REX
PartyBear said:

I have never heard of Hawks. Regarding Slim's Chicken, looks good but that is not a great location any longer unless you live in that part of Waco. It seems the future for restaurants in Waco, particularly chains, is along 35, or 340 near the intersection of 35 or possibly 84 from 340 westward.
agreed. Takes too long to drive down Valley Mills when so many other options are closer
1outawayBear
PartyBear said:

That's bc hawks only location is Waco and isn't open yet
PartyBear
Yes I realize that it isn't built yet. I still had not heard of it. I have heard of and eaten at a lot of places that are not in Waco. You are saying Hawks doesn't exist anywhere else it is a new local place?
1outawayBear
PartyBear said:

Yes I realize that it isn't built yet. I still had not heard of it. I have heard of and eaten at a lot of places that are not in Waco. You are saying Hawks doesn't exist anywhere else it is a new local place?

Yes.

That's what surprised me.

Putting a lot of money into that location but it looks great and I hope it works!! Looks good on their website

https://www.hawkshotchicken.com/
PartyBear
I'm confused the website for Hawks looks like you can order already online. But it is t finished yet?

It does look good though.
PTGHUNTER

It has the order online buttons but they don't actually do anything yet.

Bearicade
Hawks serves beer/wine/seltzer so that's a plus!
Steve Sadler
Anybody remember the "GrungeHEB" at the corner of Speight and 12th?

Anybody remember the old entrance to the GrungeHEB (before the students named it that) that faced Speight?

CT, Stranger or forza might.
1outawayBear
SSadler1 said:

Anybody remember the "GrungeHEB" at the corner of Speight and 12th?

Anybody remember the old entrance to the GrungeHEB (before the students named it that) that faced Speight?

CT, Stranger or forza might.

It was called the ghettoheb while I was at Baylor but it's now that massive apartment building
WacoCat
In the 80s, it had an aisle of all generics. Everything was in white cans, including beer. It was around $1.29 for a six-pack. You could also buy a full hog's head which was great for hazing. I cashed a lot of $10 checks there for Thursday nights at George's.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.