Waco weather

5,708 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by historian
forza orsi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not one to clutter up things with weather forecasts, but HOLY SMOKES! It's going to be 0 degrees with 18 MPH winds? In Waco? And a "high" of 14? A week ago it was in the 70s.

BaylorHistory
Hopefully we'll get a bit of melt today, but we didn't reach anywhere near our projected high yesterday.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
whitetrash
Coldest day in Waco in my lifetime was 12/23/89, when it dropped to -4. On Christmas Day 2 days later the high was 71.
gobears20
Staff
Bexar Pitts
The big old heavy dome of Arctic air is rollin' south like honey...and nothin' between here and North Dakota to stop it but a few barbed wire fences! Bear up nobly!
Nguyen One Soon
Bexar Pitts said:

The big old heavy dome of Arctic air is rollin' south like honey...and nothin' between here and North Dakota to stop it but a few barbed wire fences! Bear up nobly!
Spent three years in the Oklahoma Panhandle growing up. Heard nothing but a few barbed wire fences to stop the northers fairly often. Then they would usually add that someone left the gates open.
Bexar Pitts
Nguyen One Soon said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Spent three years in the Oklahoma Panhandle growing up. Heard nothing but a few barbed wire fences to stop the northers fairly often. Then they would usually add that someone left the gates open.
Yep..Said about every mornin' around the breakfast/coffee table when this type weather happens...Just a given down here! Stay warm.amigo...take care of any pets you might have...
4th and Inches
As cold as I can remember and probably the longest stretch of winter weather. 4-7 days of snow/sleet and 3-4 day period where temp stays below freezing is rare in central texas
Bexar Pitts
As a kid, I remember old timers telling me about this outbreak..and that parts of the Gulf had ice near the shoreline. https://www.weather.gov/bmx/climate_feb_1899_arctic_outbreak
Robert Wilson
Bexar Pitts said:

As a kid, I remember old timers telling me about this outbreak..and that parts of the Gulf had ice near the shoreline. https://www.weather.gov/bmx/climate_feb_1899_arctic_outbreak
That's fascinating. I'd love to see ice on the gulf.
Bexar Pitts
Robert Wilson said:

Bexar Pitts said:

That's fascinating. I'd love to see ice on the gulf.
Found this a minute ago. https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/news/climate-history-great-arctic-outbreak-february-1899#:~:text=On%20February%2017%2C%20ice%20was,Garden%20Island%20Bays%20in%20Louisiana.
gobears20
Staff
redfish961
Let me guess...No toilet paper to be found.
gobears20
Staff
Yep and no firewood lol

Now they are saying -1 on Monday

gobears20
Staff

We ready
Bexar Pitts
gobears20 said:

We ready
Wow. Would be a nice place for a guard rail.
4th and Inches
gobears20 said:

Why is that cop pushing them into the ditch?

Seriously, hope everyone stays safe out there or better, dont go out there!

We ready
trey3216
4th and Inches said:

gobears20 said:

Why is that cop pushing them into the ditch?

Seriously, hope everyone stays safe out there or better, dont go out there!

We ready

Pushing them into the ditch because there's no dog present to shoot.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
SSadler
Hi y'all.

I been gone gettin' me a brand now laptop (after my 10 year old one was dying for the past week)

Just in time for the cold weather hunker-down.

Streets in Waco as of 3 pm Saturday were dry and clear. Only the crazies were having trouble driving.

But, looks like the LadyBears vs. XYWhorns at the Ferrell Center tomorrow (Sunday) pm may have a quite sparse crowd.

Illinois Bear
Earlier today we were heading south on I-35 about 17 miles north of Hillsboro and we hit a several mile stretch of straight up ice covered lanes - all lanes. Quite a few cars in ditches and I watched in my rear view a semi behind us jackknife across all lanes. Scary sh*t.....and I grew up in the Midwest.
4th and Inches
I was headed out to work but wife said no... too many facebook posts from emergency response groups saying to stay home
Bearicade
Back in the 80's I believe there was a 17 day stretch where temps never got above freezing. I was young, so may be misremembering.
Bearicade

Bexar Pitts
Bearicade said:

Well..on the positive side..could be God's way of a "lockdown" to slow the Covid spread! :-)
Big12Bear
Bearicade said:

Back in the 80's I believe there was a 17 day stretch where temps never got above freezing. I was young, so may be misremembering.
Good memory. 1983.
whitetrash
Big12Bear said:

Bearicade said:

Good memory. 1983.

Christmas break 1983. Dozens of water main breaks all over town. Lake Waco got ice near the shore but I never got out there to see it.
gobears20
Staff
Right now

SSadler
so as of 'dark-30' out near the Lake we had no snow other than a few dusting flakes.

Is the big stuff just delayed or did most of the snow slide north of us?
trey3216
SSadler said:

so as of 'dark-30' out near the Lake we had no snow other than a few dusting flakes.

Is the big stuff just delayed or did most of the snow slide north of us?
look to our southwest on the radar
Shakesbear
7 degrees now in Kerrville, but wind chill is only about -10. Snow is blanketing a thick layer of ice. Been in the 20's or lower since last Thursday. The morning may bring a Dr. Zivago landscape
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
BellCountyBear
Keep yo asses off the road! Car insurance rates are gonna skyrocket.
Nguyen One Soon
BellCountyBear said:

I figured that 133 vehicle pileup in Fort Worth had already taken care of that.
historian
Plus a 50+ car accident in Austin.

Most Texans (outside the Panhandle) don't know how to drive in this weather.
trey3216
BellCountyBear said:

Insurance rates are gonna skyrocket anyway, because most people have bundled policies and there are gonna be hundreds of thousands of pipe damage claims with these power outages.
Robert Wilson
I thought we would have power outages.

I did not think it would be this bad.

I declare this a **** sandwich.

May be a **** lasagna by the time it is over.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.