Waco, Texas as seen from the air in 1955.

2,360 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bexar Pitts
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
Grumpy
Most striking to me, other than the green spaces just outside of town, is - of course - no interstate splitting the middle of the city.
Yogi
Also, notice that the square and Katy Park (now Magnolia Coffee) are still in existence 2 years after the tornado.

They weren't demolished until urban renewal in the 1960's.

Speaking of - look how beautiful the Waco ISD tower was originally when it was the Professional Building.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
forza orsi
Yogi said:

Also, notice that the square and Katy Park (now Magnolia Coffee) are still in existence 2 years after the tornado.

Speaking of - look how beautiful the Waco ISD tower was originally when it was the Professional Building.

Katy Park was rebuilt immediately after the tornado, so the park in photo is essentially brand new and the team was playing there again. The minor league team didn't leave until after the 1956 season..
Bexar Pitts
forza orsi said:

Yogi said:

Katy Park was rebuilt immediately after the tornado, so the park in photo is essentially brand new and the team was playing there again. The minor league team didn't leave until after the 1956 season..
Grand old Katy Park hosted many events after the minor leagues left. I remember watching the Waco High Tigers play ball there, along with the Baylor Bears in the early 60's. There was a traveling softball exhibition team ( 4 players!) that traveled the world called 'The King and his Court" that I saw in Katy Park.They were similar to basketball's Harlem Globetrotters. The fabulous pitcher ( The King) was Eddie Feigner, who was one of the greatest fast pitch artists that ever played the game. He literally could strike batters out from 2nd base. He only needed 3 other players on his team...the only reason that he even needed them was just in case the bases were loaded when they were at bat..he needed a fourth batter! What great memories from that golden time in history..I can still smell the popcorn and hear the vendors hawking peanuts in the stands!
STxBear81
I remember him and his crew cut
Griz
Glenn Moore played for him for awhile back in the day.
Bexar Pitts
BornAgain said:

Copy that on the crew cut! He was a Marine...He once did a charity exhibition against MLB stars, and struck out something like 7 in a row ...I'm talking about Mays, McCovey, Clemente, Killebrew, etc.
forza orsi
Bexar Pitts said:

BornAgain said:

Copy that on the crew cut! He was a Marine...He once did a charity exhibition against MLB stars, and struck out something like 7 in a row ...I'm talking about Mays, McCovey, Clemente, Killebrew, etc.

And then there were the 930 no-hitters and 238 perfect games. Seems like he had staying power. :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Feigner
Bexar Pitts
forza orsi said:

Bexar Pitts said:

BornAgain said:

And then there were the 930 no-hitters and 238 perfect games. Seems like he had staying power. :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Feigner
Came across that wiki article today..Every time I read it, I discovered another brow raising accomplishment. An amazingly talented man to say the least!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.