The Heart of Texas Coliseum

3,147 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SSadler
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
https://wacotexashistoryinpictures.com/2021/04/11/the-heart-of-texas-coliseum/?fbclid=IwAR0JT3sLpqpaLByLAc4j6TIwG_rOEn9Res8G89q2ShP9oeHO1QNvo00jfUY
MrGolfguy
THE HOT COLLIE Home of the Baylor Bears - Where Legends Played
Vinnie Johnson, Terry Teagle, Micheal Williams, Darryl Middleton, Darrell Hardy, Larry Gatewood, William Chatmon
SSadler
For those of you not local to Waco area, the recent complete renovation and expansion as a premier livestock show venue is quite impressive. No longer an eyesore.

MrGolfguy
Eyesore? Never! I love that place
SSadler
Oh, I loved it. Game nights on Monday. Frat meeting at 6 pm; bats outta Hades drives to HOT; endline seating; Vinnie, et al.

Good times.
Fat Daddy
SSadler said:

Oh, I loved it. Game nights on Monday. Frat meeting at 6 pm; bats outta Hades drives to HOT; endline seating; Vinnie, et al.

Good times.

Sometimes depended on how front of the room went... how many step forwards and step backs!!!
SSadler
Now Fat Daddy, you KNOW Senior Leadership (aka VP) was in tune to game night tip times! At least as long as the VP was a BBall fan!
Yogi
The coliseum is such a unique venue.

I just wish they would reseat the place. The SWC is long gone, and I still think it is funny how they never finished originally installing all the seating 68 years after it opened.

I think if they reseat the place, it's not a bad small venue. The concourses could use a little more space, but for what McLennan County uses it for, it is fine.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BaylorHistory
I really miss the Waco Wizards.
WacoKelly83
Anybody remember the 1982 game with the Ag's? It got paused at halftime when a Baylor band member ran into a transformer pole and knocked out the lights

Do any of you remember Shelby Metcalf's classic line about the lighting in the HOT? It slips away from me but I remember it was snarky and hilarious. Especially since the Ag's were upset that night.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/02/04/Southwest-Conference-Roundup/6717381646800/
Shippou
BaylorHistory said:

I really miss the Waco Wizards.
Same, when they folded I got a lot of pucks and sticks because my dad was friend's with one of the equipment guys. I wish I still had them but I think they're in the attic at my parent's, and I'm not going up there to look(too spooky).
blueskymesa
WacoKelly83 said:

Anybody remember the 1982 game with the Ag's? It got paused at halftime when a Baylor band member ran into a transformer pole and knocked out the lights

Do any of you remember Shelby Metcalf's classic line about the lighting in the HOT? It slips away from me but I remember it was snarky and hilarious. Especially since the Ag's were upset that night.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/02/04/Southwest-Conference-Roundup/6717381646800/
Yep, I remember that night. I had a big test the next day which I had planned to finish studying for after the game. So glad I stayed to root them on to victory over the Ags. Not sure how I did on test the next day, but hey I did graduate.
Moondoggie
My father taught music at both Baylor and MCC and always played in the HOT rodeo pep band before they, sadly, switched to recorded music. I would sit in the balcony with him while he played. Talk about Heaven for a young boy.

It was also a fallout shelter, I remember. Love that place but the reminder of possible nuclear attack was always kind of a killjoy in retrospect.

Hated the name change with extraco bought it. It's like buying the 99 year old elite and changing the name to magnolia table. Leave Waco history alone, dang it.
SSadler
Yogi said:

The coliseum is such a unique venue.

I just wish they would reseat the place. The SWC is long gone, and I still think it is funny how they never finished originally installing all the seating 68 years after it opened.

I think if they reseat the place, it's not a bad small venue. The concourses could use a little more space, but for what McLennan County uses it for, it is fine.
Yogi, If it's the north endzone you're referring to did that not have to be moveable seating in order to reset for rodeo chutes/pens? I don't' remember any other parts of the HOT NOT being permanently seated.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.