Oak Lodge Motor Inn

7,092 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ABC BEAR
BaylorGuy314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ABC BEAR said:

If this place ever does come down, Waco's 'invisible people' could become Dallas 'invisible people' in an afternoon. Think: Charted Buses.
sipembeers
https://wacotrib.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/demolition-of-oak-lodge-motor-inn-for-condos-retail-in-waco-gets-1-3-million/article_a8e36b2a-ca35-11eb-a518-23bee50f16d0.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Oak lodge to be torn down and replaced with lofts and retail space. The developer won't start demo until all residents their have a place to live.
Showtime
Wow. I figured someone had to be hunting on this deal but didn't know it'd be this soon. This will be great for downtown.
ABC BEAR
Bexar Pitts said:

ABC BEAR said:

If this place ever does come down, Waco's 'invisible people' could become Dallas 'invisible people' in an afternoon. Think: Charted Buses.
I think that's a trick play that the People's Republic of Austin runs ever now and then.

In a city where I previously lived several cops told me that police departments from other cities bought bus tickets for their homeless and sent them 'up North'. When I was a kid the vagrants were loaded onto boxcars and told not to get off until they reached the city. We lived near the tracks so I got to know the hierarchy of 'men of the road':

Hobo's are people who travel and work to earn their keep on either odd jobs or migrant labor;

Tramps travel but they won't work;

Bums neither travel or work.

Unfortunately the three terms are synonymous in most people's vocabularies.
beerman
Visited with the new owner tonight. City has awarded some TIF and they have big plans.
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

The hotel is on the local tax rolls appraised at about $590,000, and Mitchell and Kramaric plan to buy it for $2 million
Sounds like the owner got his price, and then some.

It's quite a market right now with money raining from the sky it seems.

Note to self: Price it high. You can always come down.
jbbear
BearlyHeardFrom said:

ABC BEAR said:

I think they would like the more temperate climate and bountiful government assistance of California.
I would pitch in to deliver them on Pelosi's front lawn.
Old300Bear
?resize=1200%2C709

The replacement.
Fred Barber
Bexar Pitts
Old300Bear said:

?resize=1200%2C709

The replacement.
I notice in the artist's rendering that people are gathered in the front...Wonder if it's just a different crowd doin' the same things? :-)
CorsicanaBear

Quote:

Wonder if it's just a different crowd doin' the same things? :-)
Bombay Sapphire Martinis and Macallan 21 year neat instead of Ripple and Thunderbird. Is that different or the same?
Illigitimus non carborundum
Bexar Pitts
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Wonder if it's just a different crowd doin' the same things? :-)
Bombay Sapphire Martinis and Macallan 21 year neat instead of Ripple and Thunderbird. Is that different or the same?
I think you and I both know the answer to that one. :-)
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Of course, its better to have money and it truly, truly sucks not to have any.

But,

"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul."

Illigitimus non carborundum
Bexar Pitts
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Of course, its better to have money and it truly, truly sucks not to have any.

But,

"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul."

Regardless of our position in the "social strata", we are all simply "human beinz."..
Eleven-League Grant
With the large sums of money now being invested in our downtown area to court and support tourism, upscale living and entertainment, let's do hope our locally-elected officials are very mindful of what is happening 100 miles to our south when the single-minded pursuit of political progressiveness meets the very harsh reality of the law of unintended consequences.

I know many now who avoid the downtown Austin area with a vengeance, particularly after dark. Conversely, notice how San Antonio actively seems to protect their Riverwalk area. It would be a shame if the downtown revitalization that we've been wanting for decades were sidetracked by elected officials' desiring to follow the California model of governance, and failing to be proactive to confront issues as they arise, as I'm sure they will.

So far, so good. But, let's not take our eyes off the road.
BylrFan
Eleven-League Grant said:

With the large sums of money now being invested in our downtown area to court and support tourism, upscale living and entertainment, let's do hope our locally-elected officials are very mindful of what is happening 100 miles to our south when the single-minded pursuit of political progressiveness meets the very harsh reality of the law of unintended consequences.

I know many now who avoid the downtown Austin area with a vengeance, particularly after dark. Conversely, notice how San Antonio actively seems to protect their Riverwalk area. It would be a shame if the downtown revitalization that we've been wanting for decades were sidetracked by elected officials' desiring to follow the California model of governance, and failing to be proactive to confront issues as they arise, as I'm sure they will.

San Antonio is doing great. Austin is a total nightmare. Especially with the mass shooting recently.
Marlin3030
My parents moved here in '97, that place was an eye sore then. I'm surprised it lasted this long.
ABC BEAR
BylrFan said:

Eleven-League Grant said:

San Antonio is doing great. Austin is a total nightmare. Especially with the mass shooting recently.
The Californiazation of Austin is in full stride. Their reputation is still out in front of their reality, but reality will catch up eventually.

I have a friend who grew up in San Antonio in the 1940's and he described the Riverwalk as the most dangerous place in Texas. It was a trash filled drainage ditch and a haven for gangs back then. It took a lot of vision and political determination to make it the area it is today.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.