Waco Airport - A Fixer Upper

16,641 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cowboycwr
Robert Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Weston Rogers said:

Robert Wilson said:

Weston Rogers said:

Old300Bear said:

Waco, Temple, and Kileen-Fort Hood should go together and build a regional airport at Moody. The three combined would probably have enough boardings to warrant decent service to Dallas and Houston from more than one carrier.
Won't happen but it should.
If I had to drive from China Spring to Moody for basically the same service I get now at Waco Regional I would just drive to DFW/Austin for direct flights to wherever my final destination is.
It would not be the same service. That's the point. Many people (myself included) quit flying out of Waco because the service sucks. Waco, Temple, and Killeen never should've been competing with each other. If you combined those into one regional airport around Moody you would have had decent air service. Now, you can't get decent service without driving to Dallas or Austin, and that will probably always be the case.

I have flown probably 20 times already this year for business, 95% of those flights originate and end through Waco... Haven't had one issue.
That's good to hear. I used to fly out of Waco all the time. I got left in the DFW terminal about 5 times and swore off it forever. Insanely frustrating.
beerman
Weston Rogers said:

Robert Wilson said:

Weston Rogers said:

Old300Bear said:

Waco, Temple, and Kileen-Fort Hood should go together and build a regional airport at Moody. The three combined would probably have enough boardings to warrant decent service to Dallas and Houston from more than one carrier.
If I had to drive from China Spring to Moody for basically the same service I get now at Waco Regional I would just drive to DFW/Austin for direct flights to wherever my final destination is.
It would not be the same service. That's the point. Many people (myself included) quit flying out of Waco because the service sucks. Waco, Temple, and Killeen never should've been competing with each other. If you combined those into one regional airport around Moody you would have had decent air service. Now, you can't get decent service without driving to Dallas or Austin, and that will probably always be the case.

I have flown probably 20 times already this year for business, 95% of those flights originate and end through Waco... Haven't had one issue.

I flew 80 segments in 2019, pre-Covid. I had 1 cancellation out of Waco to Dallas (weather) and had one flight Dallas to Waco that didn't touch in Waco until 4am (again, weather), but otherwise it was smooth sailing.

Avoid the last flight out of dfw when possible and praise God when it makes.
Weston Rogers
beerman said:

Weston Rogers said:

Robert Wilson said:

Weston Rogers said:

Old300Bear said:

I flew 80 segments in 2019, pre-Covid. I had 1 cancellation out of Waco to Dallas (weather) and had one flight Dallas to Waco that didn't touch in Waco until 4am (again, weather), but otherwise it was smooth sailing.

Avoid the last flight out of dfw when possible and praise God when it makes.

Yeah I'm currently at 60 segments this year and my rule is fly out anytime you want from Waco to DFW and make sure I'm on the mid afternoon/late afternoon flight back from DFW. I've flown back on the 9pm flight a handful of times and thankfully never been stuck.

Only bad experience was weather related and caused my mid afternoon flight to get cancelled which put me on the 9pm flight to Waco, that would've had me at DFW for 7ish hours waiting. Rented a car and drove home.
beardoc
I have learned not to book the last American flight from DFW to LBB. There are plane/pilot/weather/ issues way too frequently. Southwest seems to have to problem nor does United.
FirmBear24
Waco is trying to secure a second carrier. Houston and Chicago are the two most likely destinations.
CammoTX
whitetrash said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Trans Texas/TI was big time compared to Rio Airways. I flew them a number of times in the late 70's early 80's. They operated a route from Waco to DFW using De Havilland Twin Otters. That could be a bumpy ride during warm weather. The pilot copilot gave the passenger safety briefing by turning around in his seat and yelling while we were in the runup area. The entrance to the cockpit only had a curtain that was usually open during flight. On one trip a ZTA pledge (knew the sorority because she was carrying one of those giant, cloth covered, lace edged pledge books), barfed all over the cabin.

So Rio to Dallas to connect with Delta to Atlanta to connect with either Eastern or Piedmont depending on who had a flight at the time required into the old Greensboro, NC airport. The old Hartsfield terminal was a hot mess and connecting from Delta to Eastern (the two biggest airlines there) was always a 2 mile slog. Piedmont was flying those old 737-100 and -200's. All of the planes had names that ended in Pacemaker, like Catawba Pacemaker.

At GBO of old they rolled up steps to the planes for emplaning and deplaning and passengers walked across the ramp to the terminal, no jetway.

Luckily my mom had let me borrow her Delta Flying Colonel card so I could go hang out in the club lounge for the 2 hours it took her to drive to DFW to pick me up so I could get home in time to pack the car and head to Houston the next morning for my internship.

Username does not check out
beardoc
CorsicanaBear said:

Trans Texas/TI was big time compared to Rio Airways. I flew them a number of times in the late 70's early 80's. They operated a route from Waco to DFW using De Havilland Twin Otters. That could be a bumpy ride during warm weather. The pilot copilot gave the passenger safety briefing by turning around in his seat and yelling while we were in the runup area. The entrance to the cockpit only had a curtain that was usually open during flight. On one trip a ZTA pledge (knew the sorority because she was carrying one of those giant, cloth covered, lace edged pledge books), barfed all over the cabin.

So Rio to Dallas to connect with Delta to Atlanta to connect with either Eastern or Piedmont depending on who had a flight at the time required into the old Greensboro, NC airport. The old Hartsfield terminal was a hot mess and connecting from Delta to Eastern (the two biggest airlines there) was always a 2 mile slog. Piedmont was flying those old 737-100 and -200's. All of the planes had names that ended in Pacemaker, like Catawba Pacemaker.

At GBO of old they rolled up steps to the planes for emplaning and deplaning and passengers walked across the ramp to the terminal, no jetway.
This.

The first time I ever flew commercial was on Rio from Waco to Dallas. They threw luggage in the nose cone as well. Then boarded a TTA flight to LBB and thought it was spectacular in comparison.
SSadler
Trans Texas/TI was big time compared to Rio Airways. I flew them a number of times in the late 70's early 80's. They operated a route from Waco to DFW using De Havilland Twin Otters. That could be a bumpy ride during warm weather. The pilot copilot gave the passenger safety briefing by turning around in his seat and yelling while we were in the runup area.

I remember the old AmericanAirline affiliate12-seaters (???) being pretty bumpy as well. (I'm not schooled in airplane lingo for what models). I just remember the AA affiliate planes would bump, and swoon, and rise and fall for the 35-40 minute flight to Dallas.

An experience not for the weak of stomach on windy days.
Yogi
Old300Bear said:

We came close about 30 years ago and then Killeen had Killeen-Fort Hood built, which has 6 gates and a longer runway than Waco. K-FH even attracts business from Wilco and the north Austin area.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
ABC BEAR
whitetrash said:

CorsicanaBear said:

You want Rio stories? Here you go.

I graduated from BU on a Friday, left with my family on Saturday for a 2 week postgraduation trip to Japan/Hong Kong/Thailand, got back into Waco at midnight on a Sunday night, then had a redeye Rio flight the next morning to connect with Delta to Chicago for training for a summer internship with Arthur Andersen. AA had bought my round trip ticket from Waco to Chicago in early May, but the training was the first week of June. No problems making all connections getting home from Bangkok to Seattle to DFW to Waco to DFW to Chicago.

Flew back into DFW at 6 the following Saturday, walked down to the Rio gate to catch my 7pm flight back home. No flight listed on the board. Quizzically ask the gate agent where the 7pm flight to Waco was. Only at that time was I informed that Rio had changed its schedule effective June 1 and discontinued its Saturday night flight into Waco.

Luckily my mom had let me borrow her Delta Flying Colonel card so I could go hang out in the club lounge for the 2 hours it took her to drive to DFW to pick me up so I could get home in time to pack the car and head to Houston the next morning for my internship.
A Delta Flying Colonel Card? That's racist.
BU99
The reputation in town for lack of service/cancelled flights out of Waco is largely a myth. I've worked for companies in California and now SLC the past nine years. For the first eight years I flew out of Waco on average twice a month. The past year its up to 3 to 4 times a month. In those nine I've had two delays that made me miss a flight out of DFW but was able to catch a later one. I've had two cancellations back to Waco and I simply got a car and drove back (rental once and uber another time). Both of the latter issues were when I booked the late (10 pm) flight back to Waco. I do that all the time so I can come back after a work day. I have had way more issues in other cities than Waco, mostly Dallas. Now I'll knock on wood so I don't jinx myself.

Also, I only fly out of Waco because I hate the drive to DFW. I can park at the terminal for free and get there 30 minutes before my flight with plenty of time. Security is a breeze and no crowds. Next best thing to flying private.

Yogi
Damn. My postgraduate trip was to Underwood's Cafeteria...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Stranger
I've flown Trans Texas Airlines

TTA
Tree Top Airlines
aka
Try To Arrive
I'm a Bearbacker
BaylorHistory
FirmBear24 said:

Waco is trying to secure a second carrier. Houston and Chicago are the two most likely destinations.
Direct to Chicago would be great. I'd probably try to catch it 2 or 3 times a year.
NOVA Bear
If they get non stop to DC I'm getting season tickets for everything!
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Have you been talking to the shoeshine guy at the airport (sadly put out of business by covid)? He was always talking about second carriers under consideration. ACT to IAH could make sense for United. ACT to HOU might even make make sense for Southwest, but probably not. I don't see a way that ACT to either Chicago airport makes sense. What would be driving that demand.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Robert Wilson
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Have you been talking to the shoeshine guy at the airport (sadly put out of business by covid)? He was always talking about second carriers under consideration. ACT to IAH could make sense for United. ACT to HOU might even make make sense for Southwest, but probably not. I don't see a way that ACT to either Chicago airport makes sense. What would be driving that demand.
It was better when we had service to IAH and DFW. The competition helped. When it went DFW only the service got worse.
Nguyen One Soon
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Robert Pearson was NOT put out of business by Covid. He was put out of business by airport management. Stories about this in the Trib. He died recently, twice. Also stories about that in the Trib.
FirmBear24
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Actually, I was at a presentation by airport management the day the renderings of the remodel were released. It's far from certain, but there is a concerted effort from what our group was told.
CorsicanaBear

Quote:

Robert Pearson was NOT put out of business by Covid. He was put out of business by airport management.
I stand corrected.
Bear Doc
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

BylrFan
Bear Doc said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

can add BSR as well.
baylrballa
BylrFan said:

Bear Doc said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

can add BSR as well.
big surfing population in chicago.
BylrFan
Chicago is united's hub so it makes sense. International travel beyond that would be welcomed and i'd start flying out of ACT instead of AUS.
FirmBear24
BylrFan said:

Chicago is united's hub so it makes sense. International travel beyond that would be welcomed and i'd start flying out of ACT instead of AUS.

Bingo.
CorsicanaBear
Chicago is United's HQ and certainly ORD is a major hub for them. But IAH is United's biggest hub and likely better for managing C & J demand. IAH is a big international hub for United too.
BaylorHistory
Plus 1,000 miles is much more expensive than 200 miles. I'd stil love to see it though.
Tenacious D
That would be great for us up here in Chicago
Wichitabear
beardoc said:

CorsicanaBear said:

This.

The first time I ever flew commercial was on Rio from Waco to Dallas. They threw luggage in the nose cone as well. Then boarded a TTA flight to LBB and thought it was spectacular in comparison.
I so remember those days. Lolololo Nothing like seeing your luggage and pilot all together
Wichitabear
Wichitabear said:

beardoc said:

CorsicanaBear said:

This.

I so remember those days. Lolololo Nothing like seeing your luggage and pilot all together
I always flew to Dallas to Amarillo then drove home to Borger. The flight back to Waco was when trouble began. I usually didn't get my luggage until the next day. Never failed. Drive back to the airport and pick up your stuff
BCL79
Back in the day, I thought it crazy to spend $$$ to update ACT when city fathers could have talked to TSTI about making the former AFB a really accessible Waco airport. But no. Then Killeen put in real jet service and little ACT started to choke.
Seems I heard that even with all the demand for air travel at Killeen, even they are having trouble keeping jet service?
Coke Bear
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Someone correct me, but I didn't think that ACT was rated for 737 traffic, i.e. Southwest?
CorsicanaBear
Runway 1/19 has a TODA of 7107 feet and an LDA of 6605. Looks to me like a number of 737 models could operate out of ACT but it would depend on loading, wet/dry runway etc.

I believe I have seen 737 charters into and out of ACT for incoming football teams and for BU teams. I could be wrong though. Maybe what I am seeing is Embraer E Jets. But the E Jets only seat up to about 125 which seems small for a football team by the time you get team, coaches, trainers, administrators and big money donors on board.

Bear Doc
I have been on several 737 charters with Baylor basketball teams in the past out of ACT. Also have been on MD-80s out of Waco as well.
Nguyen One Soon
CorsicanaBear said:

Runway 1/19 has a TODA of 7107 feet and an LDA of 6605. Looks to me like a number of 737 models could operate out of ACT but it would depend on loading, wet/dry runway etc.

I believe I have seen 737 charters into and out of ACT for incoming football teams and for BU teams. I could be wrong though. Maybe what I am seeing is Embraer E Jets. But the E Jets only seat up to about 125 which seems small for a football team by the time you get team, coaches, trainers, administrators and big money donors on board.

Worked at and around the airport several years. Saw 737 charters there fairly often , including team planes and others, especially during the Bush administration.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.