LaSalle Ave you're next

3,019 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BaylorHistory
Old300Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw a video on KWTX that outlined plans to seriously upgrade LaSalle. Can't find the video.
Fred Barber
Old300Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Found the article, hope the video copies

Waco: La Salle Corridor District gets attention


By Rissa Shaw
Updated: Jun. 9, 2021 at 9:02 PM CDT
WACO, Texas (KWTX) - A 'revival' is in the works for a part of Waco which used to be the epicenter of activity.

City of Waco officials want to re-energize La Salle Avenue, the primary thoroughfare through town before I-35 was built.

"We believe in the revitalization of La Salle, we believe in being a great community partner, and we believe that this is necessary for our city to move forward and to advance and to grow in an equitable manner," said District 2 councilman Hector Sabido.

On Wednesday night, the city held a community meeting to introduce a vision for the La Salle District Corridor that utilizes the overlay district's new zoning standards to make it have a more "unified" and "on-brand" feel that's more aesthetically pleasing and pedestrian friendly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Officials said they wanted more than Magnolia to be the draw to Waco.

During the meeting, planners discussed current and future efforts to build on the area's history to make it a destination retail and entertainment district.

"We have an opportunity to really set a standard for what the next level, the next generation of the La Salle Avenue Corridor will look like," said District 1 councilwoman Andrea Barefield.

The images shown during the meeting were conceptual, planners explained, saying they're seeking more community input before making anything final.

Copyright 2021 KWTX. All rights reserved.

Fred Barber
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, that's been part of the plan for a while. Finally starting to happen
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
sipembeers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Route 77 food park is a cool spot. All local beer at the bar and 4-5 local food trucks. Just the start of la salle growth.
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Having "grown up" in South Waco during the 50's, I'm happy to see LaSalle get some love from the City. Back then, the street was a bit of a redneck riviera, with plenty of beer joints and places to grab a meal. At night, you could hear the 18 wheelers singing their songs as the truckers went through the gears. As a lot of folks slept with open windows back then, old South Waco was full of sounds (and smells!) that were indigenous to the area! Hope it all pans out for Waco..
BaylorHistory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good to see Showtime getting a road it deserves.
BellCountyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am excited to see this happening! Ironically, parts of Valley Mills Dr. need the same attention.
OsoCoreyell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
City Councilmen/women love to talk redevelopmentand generally know (*&(& about how it works. People think if you prop up a bunch of new stuff, everyone will just go there and have fun. It is so much more organic than that. And to be truly successful, it has to primarily draw from the neighborhoods it is in. That means a healthy dose of Baylor students and Alumni for LaSalle.

Every once in a while you get a bluebird like Magnolia that can just greenfield because it is so unique and demand is so high. But that is exceedingly rare. You always have to ask, "What do the community and visitors really want?" and then build to that.
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
OsoCoreyell said:

City Councilmen/women love to talk redevelopmentand generally know (*&(& about how it works. People think if you prop up a bunch of new stuff, everyone will just go there and have fun. It is so much more organic than that. And to be truly successful, it has to primarily draw from the neighborhoods it is in. That means a healthy dose of Baylor students and Alumni for LaSalle.

Every once in a while you get a bluebird like Magnolia that can just greenfield because it is so unique and demand is so high. But that is exceedingly rare. You always have to ask, "What do the community and visitors really want?" and then build to that.


Yep. Which is why the new stadium on UP where CR sits will stir more development there. Elm, where our studio sits is moving, but will skyrocket once the stadium turns dirt, IMO.
baylor1984
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hope they open the Dairy Queen back up at Second and LaSalle. Lots of special memories at that place.
CorsicanaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hadn't been to that DQ in a few years, but the decor and the paint on the walls was the same as when I graduated in 1981.
Illigitimus non carborundum
BealBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will they incorporate Showtime Club into their plans?
Showtime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorHistory said:

Good to see Showtime getting a road it deserves.
Tell me about it.
OsoCoreyell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Ethridge said:

OsoCoreyell said:

City Councilmen/women love to talk redevelopmentand generally know (*&(& about how it works. People think if you prop up a bunch of new stuff, everyone will just go there and have fun. It is so much more organic than that. And to be truly successful, it has to primarily draw from the neighborhoods it is in. That means a healthy dose of Baylor students and Alumni for LaSalle.

Every once in a while you get a bluebird like Magnolia that can just greenfield because it is so unique and demand is so high. But that is exceedingly rare. You always have to ask, "What do the community and visitors really want?" and then build to that.


Yep. Which is why the new stadium on UP where CR sits will stir more development there. Elm, where our studio sits is moving, but will skyrocket once the stadium turns dirt, IMO.
Elm is a good example of it happening organically. Demand was starting to build there with some early entrants - like Lula Jane's. Then McLane came along and gave some proximity numbers. Then speculative buyers started developing housing. Then Sic'Em and others (Revival). With that kind of "cred" built a little slowly, there's a great basis for a longer trend. The key is, it wasn't really led by the City. It was led by the market, and the City facilitated and supported. Success!

I hope that's what happens on LaSalle. Improve the street. More cops. Realize that one of the prime factors for that location will be proximity to Baylor. Kind of like Rice Village down in Houston.
ABC BEAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is the draw or potential draw which would make people divert to LaSalle? Replicating services offered elsewhere in town will only shift the $$ from one area to another unless there is a central theme or entity which has the ability to draw its own clientele.

Retro chic themed corridor? Live entertainment district? Family centered attractions? Healthcare or business park?Let's decide what we want to be before designing overlays.
Ivy_Twin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hear the first big developer is bringing back Tusa's grocery in a megamart supercenter fashion!


No but seriously, raze Showtime Club and start over. I'm glad La Salle will get some much needed love.
dougl999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sue's 2.0
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
dougl999 said:

Sue's 2.0
Eleven-League Grant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BealBear said:

Will they incorporate Showtime Club into their plans?
You bet. They'll probably throw in some extra TIF money to boot!
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CorsicanaBear said:

Hadn't been to that DQ in a few years, but the decor and the paint on the walls was the same as when I graduated in 1981.


The original owner (from Gatesville) died several years ago. It was handed off to the kids (who found the ownership documents stuffed in the top corner of a closet) and sold that location back to corporate who closed it down.

By 'kids', I mean people in their 70's. I am kind of related to one of the kids by marriage.

Bear Doc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eleven-League Grant said:

BealBear said:

Will they incorporate Showtime Club into their plans?
You bet. They'll probably throw in some extra TIF money to boot!
But it will all be in dirty, wet singles...
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Bear Doc said:

Eleven-League Grant said:

BealBear said:

Will they incorporate Showtime Club into their plans?
You bet. They'll probably throw in some extra TIF money to boot!
But it will all be in dirty, wet singles...
WASingles?
Bear Doc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Ethridge said:

Bear Doc said:

Eleven-League Grant said:

BealBear said:

Will they incorporate Showtime Club into their plans?
You bet. They'll probably throw in some extra TIF money to boot!
But it will all be in dirty, wet singles...
WASingles?
baylor1984
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Edmond Bear said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Hadn't been to that DQ in a few years, but the decor and the paint on the walls was the same as when I graduated in 1981.


The original owner (from Gatesville) died several years ago. It was handed off to the kids (who found the ownership documents stuffed in the top corner of a closet) and sold that location back to corporate who closed it down.

By 'kids', I mean people in their 70's. I am kind of related to one of the kids by marriage.


That DQ is where me and my wife went every Friday night in the first year of our marriage in 83 as it was the only thing/or place we could afford. They had a special that was 2 Hunger Busters for 5.00 and they gave you a token for .50 cents that you could choose to spend on an ice cream sundae which we would split. After that year when I graduated in August of 84 both me and my wife swore we wouldn't eat at a DQ again and we didn't for about 25 years. We lived at Oak Village Apts. which was at 5th and LaSalle and would walk down to that DQ every Friday night for our big night out. Those were the days.
Media Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
baylor1984 said:

Hope they open the Dairy Queen back up at Second and LaSalle. Lots of special memories at that place.
That place sustained me nutritionally the summer of my graduation. That and a Kim's burger once a week. The occasional 2-for-$1 hot dogs from 7-Eleven. Dollar pizza from Ghetto HEB. Doritos. And Diet Coke ...

Glad I don't eat now the way I did then. At that point, I was running 4.5 miles about 5x a week, so I could burn it off fairly readily. Not so much these days ...
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Once Sue's 2 was closed the street went quickly downhill. I think El Charro is still open but havent been there in years. Showtime is wild at night but the afternoons are relaxing.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Once Sue's 2 was closed the street went quickly downhill. I think El Charro is still open but havent been there in years. Showtime is wild at night but the afternoons are relaxing.
You're talkin' my book, amigo...but in much younger days! Many great memories, and some not so great, from LaSalle...Man, did we have fun back then...P.S...You have to understand that our "entertainment venues" were a little more limited in the prehistoric years. :-)
hodedofome
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ABC BEAR said:

What is the draw or potential draw which would make people divert to LaSalle? Replicating services offered elsewhere in town will only shift the $$ from one area to another unless there is a central theme or entity which has the ability to draw its own clientele.

Retro chic themed corridor? Live entertainment district? Family centered attractions? Healthcare or business park?Let's decide what we want to be before designing overlays.


Phil Bennett will be doing live shows weekly from El Charro, since El Chico shut down.
ABC BEAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hodedofome said:

ABC BEAR said:

What is the draw or potential draw which would make people divert to LaSalle? Replicating services offered elsewhere in town will only shift the $$ from one area to another unless there is a central theme or entity which has the ability to draw its own clientele.

Retro chic themed corridor? Live entertainment district? Family centered attractions? Healthcare or business park?Let's decide what we want to be before designing overlays.


Phil Bennett will be doing live shows weekly from El Charro, since El Chico shut down.

That should rival the traffic flow generated by Oakwood Cemetery.
BCL79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Geez, my LaSalle memories were of the murder capital of Waco .... BUT, I survived my twoish trips to the mighty Showtime. Two Minnies was a classier crowd.
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
BCL79 said:

Geez, my LaSalle memories were of the murder capital of Waco .... BUT, I survived my twoish trips to the mighty Showtime. Two Minnies was a classier crowd.
Murder capital of Waco?

You thinking the area back behind Oakwood? I was playing in a softball game back in '93-94 and had to hit the ground and lay in the outfield for 15-20 minutes until someone was apprehended for shooting into a house.
BaylorHistory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yall realize the Mutualista off La Salle is the entertainment capital of Waco right? If something happened to it then South Waco would burn.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.