Waco Breweries

1,697 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by trey3216
CizzLark
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Haven't been back to Waco in a while, and I'm getting a chance to this weekend.

Seeing that there a few breweries around town now. Any one in particular you'd recommend? Any one maybe more kid friendly than others or is that rather frowned upon?
sipembeers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think they are all kid friendly.

Route 77 food park has all of the local beers on tap. Out door play area and 5 food trucks. If you don't want to drive all over town of course.
loanbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brotherwell off Elm street would be good. Their Act of Faith is one of my favorite beers to drink. They have a pretty nice outdoor area where the kids can run around.
baylrballa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
beerwise: waco ale > brotherwell > balcones > bare arms > southern roots - but they all have their strong points.

haven't actually been to brotherwell but out of the others only southern roots really has room for kids to move around. atmosphere at all of them are good for kids.

I'd also suggest route 77 or slowrise slice house which each will have several options on tap.
sipembeers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
baylrballa said:

beerwise: waco ale > brotherwell > balcones > bare arms > southern roots - but they all have their strong points.

haven't actually been to brotherwell but out of the others only southern roots really has room for kids to move around. atmosphere at all of them are good for kids.

I'd also suggest route 77 or slowrise slice house which each will have several options on tap.


Good call in slow rise.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Of all of them Balcones is the least kid friendly, I think Brotherwell is the most given the outdoor beer garden especially if they have a food truck on-site. Revival Eastside is up the street and they have a good collection of local taps.
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Of all of them Balcones is the least kid friendly, I think Brotherwell is the most given the outdoor beer garden especially if they have a food truck on-site. Revival Eastside is up the street and they have a good collection of local taps.


Agreed and it is right behind our studio
BearCPA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is Bare Arms the same after the change in ownership? I was a huge fan of Creekside but didn't make it back after we moved to Belton several years ago.
Bear Apologist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Slow Rise is good if you're in that area, The Dancing Bear Pub near campus is my favorite place to go for beer.
Also, agree that Waco Ale, Brotherwell, and Balcones are the best.
FirmBear24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco Ale has the best brew by far. Small kid area there but kids are welcome. Saw a few on Friday at lunch and have taken mine.

Agree with Slow Rise being a great option too.
RightRevBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My roommate from Baylor and I did a microbrewery crawl in Waco about a month ago. Neither one of us are big IPA fans, so if you like nasty hippie beer you might rate them differently. We did flights at each location.

My favorite two were Bare Arms and Waco Ale. Brotherwell was ok, but beware they do not have air conditioning in their building. Whenever I asked about Southern Roots people would talk about how good their food is. I do have to say I was not impressed by their beer.

We did a distillery tour at Balcones and tasted four of their whiskeys instead of their beer.

I was back in Waco last week for work. I went to Crickets. They had several of the local beers there. It was good to go back to a place that ruined my finances as a student.
Sampi82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RightRevBear said:

My roommate from Baylor and I did a microbrewery crawl in Waco about a month ago. Neither one of us are big IPA fans, so if you like nasty hippie beer you might rate them differently. We did flights at each location.

My favorite two were Bare Arms and Waco Ale. Brotherwell was ok, but beware they do not have air conditioning in their building. Whenever I asked about Southern Roots people would talk about how good their food is. I do have to say I was not impressed by their beer.

We did a distillery tour at Balcones and tasted four of their whiskeys instead of their beer.

I was back in Waco last week for work. I went to Crickets. They had several of the local beers there. It was good to go back to a place that ruined my finances as a student.


I know the owner of Bare Arms. He was open for a select few when he was supposed to be closed during the China virus partial shutdown. I happened to be one of those while in town during that time. We were having a "business meeting" about future plans in the event any gestopo turned up. Bare Arms is one of my regular stops when in town and I plan on visiting the others this fall.
“Wherever you go, there you are.”
CorsicanaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not a fan of Southern Roots, West of Czech is the only one I've liked at all. Bare Arms Vienna Lager I like, others I tasted, not so much. Have not had anything from Waco Ale so cannot comment.

At Brotherwell however, I am a fan of both the Act of Faith Tripel (favorite local beer) and the Bridge Street Wit (my pool beer).

IPA's, Porters, and Stouts I generally do not like, although time and circumstances my find me drinking an IPA that does not taste like chewing on a Christmas Tree.
Illigitimus non carborundum
BearlyHeardFrom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have they broken ground on the Czech brewery that is supposed to be part of some big-ass building downtown?
FirmBear24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearlyHeardFrom said:

Have they broken ground on the Czech brewery that is supposed to be part of some big-ass building downtown?


Yes. Took a tour of the hotel/brewery/restaurant/bakery known as Pivovar in the spring. The boutique hotel has a beer spa anc everything is coming from Europe.

Last I heard, It is expected to open later this summer. Wouldn't be surprised if it is delayed.
BearlyHeardFrom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice. Thank you for the update.
FirmBear24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearlyHeardFrom said:

Nice. Thank you for the update.


You're welcome. I be should clarify that Pivovar is only three stories (maybe four? Can't remember) and in an old train depot across from Magnolia's expansion (old Katy Park). The big building you are referring to by the same Czech owned is still being discussed.

This same Czech owner and developer, Mitchell Construction, are the team that just bought the Oak Lodge Motor Inn and will redevelop the site.
RightRevBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CorsicanaBear said:

IPA's, Porters, and Stouts I generally do not like, although time and circumstances my find me drinking an IPA that does not taste like chewing on a Christmas Tree.

I love your Christmas tree analogy. I think that when brewing IPA's the brewers try to make it taste as much like a bottle of Pine Sol as possible.
baylrballa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
the number of juicy/citrus IPAs dwarfs the number of highly bitter west coast ipas these days.
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
baylrballa said:

the number of juicy/citrus IPAs dwarfs the number of highly bitter west coast ipas these days.
This is a fact
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Sampi82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
baylrballa said:

the number of juicy/citrus IPAs dwarfs the number of highly bitter west coast ipas these days.


Never been a fan of IPAs but I was at 3Nations for their 6 year anniversary last Sat - John let me in early and treated me to one of his juicy/citrus IPAs. I prefer lager but the juicy/citrus IPA was growing on me.
“Wherever you go, there you are.”
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sampi82 said:

baylrballa said:

the number of juicy/citrus IPAs dwarfs the number of highly bitter west coast ipas these days.


Never been a fan of IPAs but I was at 3Nations for their 6 year anniversary last Sat - John let me in early and treated me to one of his juicy/citrus IPAs. I prefer lager but the juicy/citrus IPA was growing on me.


The Hop Burst Hazy IPA at Waco Ale is delicious. One of my go-to's. Great citrus flavor and is also more of a session IPA with a 5.7ABV
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
CorsicanaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
People's tastes vary and it's good that they do.

For me, I'm not that interested in beers that taste like fruit (cherries, citrus, whatever and certainly not fruited or honeyed beer), or chocolate or coffee. I prefer beer that tastes like, I don't know, beer.

There are many that have lamented the Reinheitsgebot saying it destroyed a rich history of fruited beers, honeyed beers and meads, and all manner of fermented beerish products that people enjoyed back through antiquity. I am not one of those people.
Illigitimus non carborundum
baylrballa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FirmBear24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trey3216 said:

Sampi82 said:

baylrballa said:

the number of juicy/citrus IPAs dwarfs the number of highly bitter west coast ipas these days.


Never been a fan of IPAs but I was at 3Nations for their 6 year anniversary last Sat - John let me in early and treated me to one of his juicy/citrus IPAs. I prefer lager but the juicy/citrus IPA was growing on me.


The Hop Burst Hazy IPA at Waco Ale is delicious. One of my go-to's. Great citrus flavor and is also more of a session IPA with a 5.7ABV


Good call, Trey. Waco Ale has a great lager right now for those of you that don't like IPAs. Stouts are very good there too.

Of the places mentioned, Waco Ale and Southern Roots serve food. Southern Roots is pizza and apps. Waco Ale is more of a full menu. Highly recommend the fish and chips, Nashville Hot Chicken, and Hog Heaven with sidewinder fries. Brunch is solid as well.

Disclaimer: the owner and bar manager at Waco Ale are both friends of mine from Midway and they are also Baylor Bear alums. I try not to biased because their stuff is great, but I think I should disclose that.
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FirmBear24 said:

trey3216 said:

Sampi82 said:

baylrballa said:

the number of juicy/citrus IPAs dwarfs the number of highly bitter west coast ipas these days.


Never been a fan of IPAs but I was at 3Nations for their 6 year anniversary last Sat - John let me in early and treated me to one of his juicy/citrus IPAs. I prefer lager but the juicy/citrus IPA was growing on me.


The Hop Burst Hazy IPA at Waco Ale is delicious. One of my go-to's. Great citrus flavor and is also more of a session IPA with a 5.7ABV


Good call, Trey. Waco Ale has a great lager right now for those of you that don't like IPAs. Stouts are very good there too.

Of the places mentioned, Waco Ale and Southern Roots serve food. Southern Roots is pizza and apps. Waco Ale is more of a full menu. Highly recommend the fish and chips, Nashville Hot Chicken, and Hog Heaven with sidewinder fries. Brunch is solid as well.

Disclaimer: the owner and bar manager at Waco Ale are both friends of mine from Midway and they are also Baylor Bear alums. I try not to biased because their stuff is great, but I think I should disclose that.
They've got really good wings as well.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.