Death, taxes and???

3,709 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by william
Oldgrizzly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IH-35 Construction in Waco should be added to the other two sure things, death and taxes. I graduated from Baylor in the mid seventies and since then I really don't remember a time when we didn't have some form of construction on IH35.
Nguyen One Soon
Oldgrizzly said:

IH-35 Construction in Waco should be added to the other two sure things, death and taxes. I graduated from Baylor in the mid seventies and since then I really don't remember a time when we didn't have some form of construction on IH35.

About 1992 there was an article published in Austin that the sun could burn out in a billion years. Someone replied that meant they'd have to finish 183 by candlelight. IH-35 is about the same
ABC BEAR
Oldgrizzly said:

Aggie engineering grads under those hardhats.
4th and Inches
Traffic planning for road building has come a long way us older folks can remember when they just closed a road and rebuilt it or maybe got 1 lane if you are lucky.

35 has continually had 2 lanes each direction thru waco since they started this project and the service roads were mostly done first. Way better planning, but still use slow and outdated building techniques.
CammoTX
Oldgrizzly said:

Respectfully, the Gulf Freeway says "hold my beer"
Moondoggie
. and if/when an infrastructure bill passes, you know that will even up the amount of construction.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

I have been told that since portions of it opened in 1948 as US 75, the Gulf Freeway has been under constant construction.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Brian Ethridge
Staff
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

I have been told that since portions of it opened in 1948 as US 75, the Gulf Freeway has been under constant construction.
and will be when we're all gone.
trey3216
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Central Expressway concurs
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
lrwells50
Brian Ethridge said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

and will be when we're all gone.
They opened I35 to Dallas in 1972 (I think) just before I graduated from Baylor.

We go to Waco from NE Texas, and usually take 30 to 635 to 45, and get off at Corsicana. Lots less traffic, and not much longer, if any.
BaylorHistory
Texas goes from a current population of 29 million today to 40 million by 2040 which is larger than California currently is and 2040 is only 19 years away (scary thought). We better be building like mad now.
PartyBear
I bet Texas hits that mark at least a few years earlier than 2040.

Incidentally Texas is now about the size California was in the early 90s.
Redbrickbear
BaylorHistory said:

Texas goes from a current population of 29 million today to 40 million by 2040 which is larger than California currently is and 2040 is only 19 years away (scary thought). We better be building like mad now.
Texas will turn blue very soon...remember California used to be so conservative that it elected Reagan twice.

As Native Texans are replaced by emigrants and immigrants it will naturally become a state filled with more liberal voters.

Once in power you can expect Californization 2.0

Liberal policies then lead to stagnation, high taxes, crime, and then eventually people start to leave.

California lost population last year for the first time in recorded history: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/californias-population-fell-time-history-77558322
BaylorHistory
Redbrickbear said:

BaylorHistory said:

As Native Texans are replaced by emigrants and immigrants it will naturally become a state filled with more liberal voters.

I, for one, will take traveling through the liberal white man Amarillo and Lubbock as horrible as they are over a Comancheria where I worry about being disemboweled .
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Texas will turn blue very soon
If it does it will be driven by white, suburban women.

I know lots of working class Hispanic guys who use anglicized first names, don't speak a lick of Spanish and are very conservative.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Robert Wilson
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Texas will turn blue very soon
If it does it will be driven by white, suburban women.

I know lots of working class Hispanic guys who use anglicized first names, don't speak a lick of Spanish and are very conservative.
Agree.

I wonder if these white suburban women have seen Biden's tax proposal.

Do they have any idea how much of the money earned by their parents and their current families that he is proposing to take? That is going to make it real..

But, hey, no one is offending them on Twitter, I guess?
PartyBear
On this topic tracking the size of Texas with California's growth and size is interesting. Texas is now the size California was right before it went seemingly irreversibly blue state wide and in most local areas. Interestingly in the 1988 presidential election, California's last presidential election as a reliably red state at the Presidential level, Bush defeated Dukakis there by about the same margin Trump beat Biden here in 20.
Redbrickbear
PartyBear said:

On this topic tracking the size of Texas with California's growth and size is interesting. Texas is now the size California was right before it went seemingly irreversibly blue state wide and in most local areas. Interestingly in the 1988 presidential election, California's last presidential election as a reliably red state at the Presidential level, Bush defeated Dukakis there by about the same margin Trump beat Biden here in 20.
Yep, Texas will be as blue as California within 20 years...probably much sooner.

The same effect that happened in California, Virginia, and Georgia is happening in Texas.

But the GOP rich donor base got the opportunity to make a lot of money while they replaced their own voters through mass immigration from the 3rd world...and mass migration of the rest of the USA.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/12/02/the-decline-and-fall-of-californias-republican-party/

GOP even now only has a 7 seat majority in the Senate and 21 seat majority in the House...and in the 2018 U.S. Senate race Cruz (GOP) barely won by 2% of the vote.

If you want to see what real party power and control looks like then look at Democratic control of the New York and California legislature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Legislature

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Legislature

Massive majorities for the liberal party.

In the 2018 Senate race in NY Kristen Gillibrand (Dem) beat her republican rival 67.00% to 33.0% in the election.

LIB,MR BEARS
BaylorHistory said:

and finding places for new/larger water reservoirs.
Yogi
Redbrickbear said:

PartyBear said:

Yep, Texas will be as blue as California within 20 years...probably much sooner.

The same effect that happened in California, Virginia, and Georgia is happening in Texas.

But the GOP rich donor base got the opportunity to make a lot of money while they replaced their own voters through mass immigration from the 3rd world...and mass migration of the rest of the USA.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/12/02/the-decline-and-fall-of-californias-republican-party/

GOP even now only has a 7 seat majority in the Senate and 21 seat majority in the House...and in the 2018 U.S. Senate race Cruz (GOP) barely won by 2% of the vote.

If you want to see what real party power and control looks like then look at Democratic control of the New York and California legislature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Legislature

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Legislature

Massive majorities for the liberal party.

In the 2018 Senate race in NY Kristen Gillibrand (Dem) beat her republican rival 67.00% to 33.0% in the election.

Agreed.

I see us a modern autocratic ;leftist "democracy" (meaning we get what looks like a vote on leftist politicians and ideas/.

I wouldn't be getting too comfortable with my retirement or real property if I were you guys.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
william
... and taxes.

- KKM

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1977.tb03267.x
Fetterman2024
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.