Best Restaurant: Outdoor Patio

3,534 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Robert Wilson
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's hear it. What's the best outdoor patio experience in Waco?

T-REX
Edmond Bear said:

Let's hear it. What's the best outdoor patio experience in Waco?

Picnic tables at Scruffs
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
CorsicanaBear
135 Prime, without question.

The wife says Di Campli's outdoor space is nice, I've not eaten there.

The choices are really limited. This is compounded by the fact that there are only approximately 4 days a year when it is comfortable to eat outside.
1outawayBear
Despite the service, it used to be manny's and before that it was lake steak. Hopefully the people putting in a pizza place make that back deck enjoyable again.
Weston Rogers
I like the patio at 1424, Hecho, DiCampli's, and 135... However I also believe there's only about 2 months a year where outdoor dining makes sense in Central Texas which is March and November(February and October can sometimes be added).
Boernebear
Outdoor areas seem to work much better in bars than restaurants in Waco - some great ones are Z's at the Curry, the Backyard, Dichotomy (rooftop), Freight Bar, One Day, Brotherwell, etc. Having a cold drink is important for hot days!

But a couple restaurants that I haven't seen mentioned yet would be Milo and Franklin Ave Mac House that have patios to enjoy good food on.
CorsicanaBear
Have not been to Z but want to go. Back Yard is hampered by the lack of quality drinks I found last time I went (when you're pouring vodka out of plastic "bottles" all is not well). Have not been to Freight. Been several times to eat outside at Milo, but you need to go after sunset because the cover does not protect from the evening sun. Also a scenic view of Franklin Avenue, the Oaks Motor Loge (due to change shortly I understand) and rumbling traffic is not so pleasant. Went one time to One Day Bar. The patio there is a nice and they had a Guess Family food truck there, but its treated like the smoking area. I don't want to be around smokers, even outside.

Dichotomy upstairs is a nice place for a drink if you can get seat. 1424 Patio has a lot of potential to be an atmospheric place. That restaurant is so bad I wouldn't spend somebody else's money there. Brotherwell's is my local brewer of choice, but outdoor picnic tables without shade are not my thing.

Outside patios should do at least one of three things as a raison d'tre : provide a scenic view, permit people watching or provide a sheltered enclave. They should do that in addition to being a good dining/drinking experience.
Bear Doc
I love DiCampli's but their patio is not just filled with ambiance. It is surrounded by a pretty busy parking lot which is surrounded by two major thoroughfares.

I agree with Z's but their food selection is minimal.

135 does it right with shade and they built tall walls to protect you from the parking lot noise.
Boernebear
I haven't been to 135 yet, but did make it to DiCampli's for the first time this past weekend and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't rate the patio highly but the restaurant has great food and drinks and a good atmosphere too.
fadskier
I don't get eating outside in Texas. Hot as HeLL....now when we go to Colorado or Montana...definately!
Yogi
Walk On's actually has a really nice patio overlooking the "lake" at Legends Crossing.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
T-REX
fadskier said:

I don't get eating outside in Texas. Hot as HeLL....now when we go to Colorado or Montana...definately!
We like to bring our dog with us sometimes which makes patios a great option. He doesn't eat human food but just hanging out on a patio with my son is really fun. Even whe. It is hot
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
forza orsi
Bear Doc said:

I love DiCampli's but their patio is not just filled with ambiance. It is surrounded by a pretty busy parking lot which is surrounded by two major thoroughfares.

I agree with Z's but their food selection is minimal.

135 does it right with shade and they built tall walls to protect you from the parking lot noise.

135 is the best outdoor patio by far. I love Di Campli's as a restaurant and we eat usually eat outdoors, but the atmosphere is nowhere near as good for the outdoor seating at 135 Prime.
Robert Wilson
Weston Rogers said:

I like the patio at 1424, Hecho, DiCampli's, and 135... However I also believe there's only about 2 months a year where outdoor dining makes sense in Central Texas which is March and November(February and October can sometimes be added).
Come on now. December and January have a lot of good days. April has its moments. Even May on a stretch (eg. this year). Late September if you get really lucky. Buck up, little camper.

Great thread.

Agree with your mention of 1424. Nice outdoor area. Also for downscale Shorty's Pizza - complete with draft beer and yard games.
BaylorHistory
I'd argue there is good outdoor eating weather a third of the year at least. With a couple fans or heaters that moves to nearly 90% of the year. Joe T Garcia's has proved it can work just fine.
southtexasbear
I always enjoy sitting on the patio/deck at The Minnow on Lake Waco. Cold Drinks & decent food. Great view. sometimes live music is a plus.
beerman
Buzzard Billy's deck/patio is great......of course you have 1-35 bridge in background but we still like it.....dog friendly too.

Edmond Bear
beerman said:

Buzzard Billy's deck/patio is great......of course you have 1-35 bridge in background but we still like it.....dog friendly too.

Is it really loud on their deck from I-35 traffic?
Weston Rogers
Robert Wilson said:

Weston Rogers said:

Come on now. December and January have a lot of good days. April has its moments. Even May on a stretch (eg. this year). Late September if you get really lucky. Buck up, little camper.

Great thread.

Agree with your mention of 1424. Nice outdoor area. Also for downscale Shorty's Pizza - complete with draft beer and yard games.
Buck up little camper? Um okay grandpa
BrazosBear
1outawayBear said:

Despite the service, it used to be manny's and before that it was lake steak. Hopefully the people putting in a pizza place make that back deck enjoyable again.

Slow Rise has a quality outdoor area at their other location so I would expect them to do a good job with that deck. It would be hard not to do a good job with that deck.
1outawayBear
BrazosBear said:

1outawayBear said:

Slow Rise has a quality outdoor area at their other location so I would expect them to do a good job with that deck. It would be hard not to do a good job with that deck.

I have seen it, but all three times we have eaten there, we were not fans of the pizza at all so we did not stay long. Hoping they provide a nice place to drink cold beer on the water
jbbear
Baylor Club has a pretty good view.
Robert Wilson
jbbear said:

Baylor Club has a pretty good view.
Fair point
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.