Ever eaten at Hawaiian Bros?

4,845 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by trey3216
southtexasbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like they're taking over the old taco cabana spot near campus. I miss those late night frozen margaritas…

"The City of Waco has issued an interior demolition permit for a new Hawaiian Bros. Island Grill location at 825 S 6th St, Waco, TX 76706. The Hawaiian Bros. chain currently has restaurants in Kansas, New York, Missouri, Illinois, and Texas. The restaurants specialize in traditional Hawaiian "plate lunches" which consist of meat, two scoops of white rice, and one scoop of macaroni salad. The spot where the new restaurant will soon open was formerly occupied by a Taco Cabana."
SSadler
For you Wacoans, where do you find good sweet and sour dishes?
Sampi82
I haven't eaten at one yet but I live 7 miles south of Denton and there is a location there. Has good ratings so I may give it a try this week.

https://hawaiianbros.com/menu/

All of our menu items are gluten free, excluding our macaroni salad and the chow mein noodles on our Pacific Island Salad.
“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
Grimm
L&L Hawaiian is over by the Dr.Pepper museum. Their chicken is friggin delicious.
BylrFan
this is exciting news !!
Bear Doc
In the year of our Lord 2021, Waco Texas will have 2 Hawaiian restaurants and still not one casual place that does non-fried seafood well. What a time.
PartyBear
I remember the Elite when it reopened around 86 had a dish called Hawaiian Chicken. It was delicious.

The owners of Chuy's have a restaurant called Hula Hut in Austin that is a polynesian version of a Chuy's. I have never been but I have heard it is very good. They have not gone chain with that concept though. I think without going full blown chain that concept would work in Waco as at least a second location.
PartyBear
Bear Doc said:

In the year of our Lord 2021, Waco Texas will have 2 Hawaiian restaurants and still not one casual place that does non-fried seafood well. What a time.
For some reason this just reminded me of at one time there was a place on the other end of the warehouse from Ninfa's called Franklins in the late 90s that was a very good seafood place. I think it took the place of Burgers and Blues that was orginally put in there in the mid 90s.
BUbearinARK
Bear Doc said:

Whatever Apu asks for, Apu gets.
Illinois Bear
PartyBear said:

Bear Doc said:

For some reason this just reminded me of at one time there was a place on the other end of the warehouse from Ninfa's called Franklins in the late 90s that was a very good seafood place. I think it took the place of Burgers and Blues that was orginally put in there in the mid 90s.

Never ate at Franklins but we did frequent quite regularly late night the upstairs bar Schooners. I also remember that same location transitioning to a bbq / burgers type restaurant around '04.
STxBear81
i hope they add another starch and carb to the plate
Yogi
PartyBear said:

Bear Doc said:

Yep.

I still like Buzzard Billy's and The Catch. They both serve grilled and blackened seafood.

Buzzard's does a really good grilled swordfish when it is in season.

As for non-cajun? Dude, Waco has a Red Lobster! Ha ha

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
cowboycwr
Illinois Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Bear Doc said:

Never ate at Franklins but we did frequent quite regularly late night the upstairs bar Schooners. I also remember that same location transitioning to a bbq / burgers type restaurant around '04.
Was this the place that then became Spice Village? I remember a BBQ place there that was good but never busy, had tvs everywhere for sports. Just ahead of its time for the location.
PartyBear
You are thinking about the same space. Spice Village has been there though since the 1996 opening of the converted warehouse. Maybe it has expanded into that space now though. I believe the BBQ place was called Slo Pokes if I recall correctly. It was there until 08 or 09 I think.
cowboycwr
SLO pokes was the name. I thought spice was just upstairs or a small part and they expanded to include the space that was slo pokes after it closed. But I could be remembering wrong.
PartyBear
You may be right. I haven't been inside that part of the warehouse in at least 10 years. There was a yogurt shop taking up some of that space on that corner of the warehouse about 10 years ago. Visiting that was the last time I had gone inside that area.
BaylorHistory
Hawaiian Bros sells Dole Soft Serve which is badass.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
4th and Inches
Yogi said:

PartyBear said:

Bear Doc said:

Yep.

I still like Buzzard Billy's and The Catch. They both serve grilled and blackened seafood.

Buzzard's does a really good grilled swordfish when it is in season.

As for non-cajun? Dude, Waco has a Red Lobster! Ha ha

El Siete Mares on Dutton back in the day was great seafood.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
No Longer Gold
cowboycwr said:

SLO pokes was the name. I thought spice was just upstairs or a small part and they expanded to include the space that was slo pokes after it closed. But I could be remembering wrong.

Before that it was BB's (burgers and blues). BB King played there on opening night.

Upstairs was schooners. The best "nice" college bar Waco ever had.
T-REX
cowboycwr said:

Illinois Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Bear Doc said:

Was this the place that then became Spice Village? I remember a BBQ place there that was good but never busy, had tvs everywhere for sports. Just ahead of its time for the location.
that bbq place was not there very long if i recall Ate there back when i was in jr high i think with my dad and we hated it. it was new york style bbq if i recall so it was dead in the water from the start. That would have been around 2006 or 07 maybe?
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
T-REX
Swart Dra said:

cowboycwr said:

Before that it was BB's (burgers and blues). BB King played there on opening night.

did they allow babies?
Baylor MBA 2023
No Longer Gold
T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

cowboycwr said:

did they allow babies?

Hopefully not at the concert, it probably started around 10:00 or so. The babies should be in bed by then.
T-REX
Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

cowboycwr said:

did they allow babies?

Hopefully not at the concert, it probably started around 10:00 or so. The babies should be in bed by then.
yea, they are probably exhausted from the football game earlier in the day
Baylor MBA 2023
No Longer Gold
T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

cowboycwr said:

did they allow babies?

Of course they would be, if they were there.

Babies shouldn't be at the games for that very reason.

They would be better served to be sleeping or in a more serene environment until the age of 4 or so.

After age 4, or when the parents think they can handle it, bring on the indoctrination of BU football.

Better for them, better for the parents, better for the fans that sit around them.

Just make sure they take off their hats for the anthem and prayer, and lift up their claw for every Sic'em.
T-REX
Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

cowboycwr said:

did they allow babies?

They would be better served to be sleeping and in a more serene environment until the age of 4 or so.

After age 4, or when the parents think they can handle it, bring on the indoctrination of BU football.

Better for them, better for the parents, better for the fans that sit around them.

Just make sure they take off their hats for the anthem and prayer, and lift up their claw for every Sic'em.
did you have to get a permit in order to become the gate keeper of who comes to games or do they give the title out in cereal boxes?

Also what section do you sit in so I can put about 5 into my wife tonight & have them nice and ready to be at the 2022 games
Baylor MBA 2023
No Longer Gold
T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

cowboycwr said:

did they allow babies?

They would be better served to be sleeping and in a more serene environment until the age of 4 or so.

did you have to get a permit in order to become the gate keeper of who comes to games or do they give the title out in cereal boxes?

Also what section do you sit in so I can put about 5 into my wife tonight & have them nice and ready to be at the 2022 games

There is no permit necessary to be a parent, and no instruction book on how to parent, however, there is an unspoken decorum of JOY that can direct us all on how to parent and how to teach our kids how to grow up that we hope they take with them all the way through life.

The O of the JOY mission is the most ignored in this day and age.
T-REX
Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

cowboycwr said:

did they allow babies?

There is no permit necessary to be a parent, and no instruction book on how to parent, however, there is an unspoken decorum of JOY that can direct us all on how to parent and how to teach our kids how to grow up that we hope they take with them all the way through life.

my kids will be bringing JOY to everybody in my section when I bring them to games from birth till they leave the nest.
Baylor MBA 2023
No Longer Gold
T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

cowboycwr said:

did they allow babies?

my kids will be bringing JOY to everybody in my section when I bring them to games from birth till they leave the nest.

That sounds like a Y statement.

There is no way you could know that.

I'll submit to you the last word on the subject, sounds like Y ou need that word for Y ourself.
T-REX
Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

cowboycwr said:

did they allow babies?

That sounds like a Y statement.

There is no way you could know that.

I'll submit to you the last word on the subject, sounds like Y ou need that word for Y ourself.

telling other people not to bring their kids to games because you hate babies is pretty selfish which is a big ol Y.

I will bring my future kids as soon as they pop out. And if somebody near me doesn't like it then they can go sit somewhere else. It's a game, not a library
Baylor MBA 2023
No Longer Gold
T-REX said:

I wIll brIng mY future kIds as soon as theY pop out. And If somebodY near ME doesn't lIke It then theY can go sIt somewhere else.
T-REX
Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

I wIll brIng mY future kIds as soon as theY pop out. And If somebodY near ME doesn't lIke It then theY can go sIt somewhere else.

I will always put my interests first.
Baylor MBA 2023
BUbearinARK
This thread has really turned into apu.
No Longer Gold
T-REX said:

Swart Dra said:

T-REX said:

I will always put my interests first.
trey3216
Swart Dra said:

cowboycwr said:

There was nothing "nice" about Schooners. Lol.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.