Camping Near Waco

2,762 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Beardown1919
Chitownbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Going to take the family camping this month. Any ideas of nice wood camping (tenting not RVs) areas within an hour or so from Waco?
Chitownbear
Meant to say "nice wooded areas," not "nice wood."
LOL.
BaylorHistory
Chitownbear said:

Meant to say "nice wooded areas," not "nice wood."
LOL.

Dinosaur Valley and Colorado Bend are the best closeish ones to me.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
BaylorGuy314
Lofers Bend West is my default when I take my girls (10,6). It's by the Lake Whitney dam so super convenient to get to, it pretty, and has decent facilities. However, we usually go up on a Friday late, spend Saturday there, and come back early Sunday. That's not long enough for them to need much entertainment.

If I was looking for more to see/do then I'd def do Dinosaur Valley.
Liteitup
Not a camper but Meridian State Park looked nice when we rode through it. Might check on Mother Neff as well.
cowboycwr
If you are just looking for places to camp (set up a tent) and not a state park try the site hipcamp.

It is basically airbnb or vrbo for camping.

The concept is the same- private property that you can rent to camp on for a night, weekend, week.

I have used it a few times to find nice places on people's ranches essentially that they have set aside a part of the land for camping to bring in extra income. The neat thing is you can find some really off the path places to stay out in the middle of nowhere. Last time I used it we stayed at a place west of Llano (closest little town was Castell).
Chitownbear
Thanks for all the recommendations and the heads up regarding Hipcamp. There are some very intriguing options on that site that would provide more privacy than the state parks. I think I'll give it a try.
El Oso
Camping at Lake Whitney this Friday and Saturday.
OsoCoreyell
Mother Neff!
FeralBear
Waco1947
Chitownbear said:

Going to take the family camping this month. Any ideas of nice wood camping (tenting not RVs) areas within an hour or so from Waco?
Waco Lake
Waco1947
Wade
Meridian state park is 50 minutes, and dinosaur valley state park is 1hr 20 minutes. These are the best clear water sources close to Waco that I have found. Also have some hiking and nice views.
Garmon Randolph #55 - JACK
Tackles:
Alfonzo Allen #12 - S
Tackles:
Dawson Pendergrass
joseywales
Meridan st park by far the most beautiful spot.
Booboo Bear
OsoCoreyell said:

Mother Neff!
Good day trip, but last time i went, the campgrounds by the river were closed. There's some RV/camper spots in the meadow, though.
BaylorOkie
Thanks for the heads up on hipcamp.
Beardown1919
Fort Parker outside of Groesbeck is solid.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.