Canoe / Camping to Waco

2,638 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Brian Ethridge
Bear2021
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone done a significant canoeing / kayaking and overnight camping trip to Waco / McLane?

Within the last year or so I've gotten much more into the outdoors and was looking at taking a few days on the week of a home game at some point in the future to do a Wednesday-Friday trip into Waco, recover, and go to a Saturday game.

I'm no expert, but the friend I've done trips with was an Eagle Scout and knows his stuff pretty well. I've done white water kayaking (which obviously the Brazos would not entail) before so I at least have that and hiking / camping experience.

I feel like I've read of others doing trips as far as Lake Whitney area - Waco over a couple of days, but I can't seem to find where I've read those in the past. Any suggestions for resources or personal experiences?

Maybe I'm wrong on remembering that being doable, but thought I'd check here.
Grimm
It's like 35+ river miles and super slow... If Whitney is generating you can ride the pulse, but the low flow is really low. After the confluence with Aquilla Creek it basically becomes Lake Brazos and you will be doing a lot of slow paddling and I don't know if there are any good sandbars to camp on. Most people do the stretch from Whitney to 2114 as there is a TPWD leased takeout point there. Look out for airboats.
Grimm
http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/brazos6.html
Is probably the site you saw before.
Robert Wilson
Grimm said:

Most people do the stretch from Whitney to 2114 as there is a TPWD leased takeout point there. Look out for airboats.
I've done this stretch many times. It's gorgeous, and there is some outstanding fishing. Really a hidden gem. That said ... man it can be tough. If there hasn't been much release and there is a south wind in your face, it is a lot of work. I usually put in one end or the other and just do part of it and fish really hard. Or fish a bit south of 2114 (but don't get caught down there when they do release from the dam if you're parked upriver - then you're screwed).

I've also done some selected stretches in between targeted to fish certain areas. Again, pretty and some great fishing. But slow. As Grim said, it gets muddy and broad/deep after Aquilla Creek hits the Brazos. Above that, it's a hill country river - clear, gorgeous, runs and pools. Going all the way to Waco would be a loooong paddle no matter how you slice it.
Jack
Thx for information
Hutch
My brother in law went to Baylor in the 80's - had to fraternity brothers canoe from Waco to College Station. They got drunk, passed out and crashed somewhere in the middle of the night. Before the world of cell phones - so took them both getting back to Waco before they knew the other was alive.
SteamedHams
I have kayaked from the Whitney dam to Cameron Park on a couple of occasions. The first time they were letting out a ton of water, and it was 30+ miles of essentially a giant lazy river ride, and it was absolutely awesome. It was first clear day after 2-3 days of major rain, and I went with a couple of buddies and more fun could not have been had.

That said, on another trip, same circumstances following rain, we checked all the gauges, called into the Whitney folks and got assurances that they'd be releasing, and they did for only about 90 minutes. And the next 25 miles that followed back down to Waco, over the course of about 15-16 hours, was the most grueling experience of my life. Into the wind, having to portage several times over sandbars, not having adequate nav lights for the darkness we thought we'd have no business seeing, dodging fan boats that run the Brazos at night (also with no nav lights and leaving SERIOUS wakes) and hearing the sounds of angry beavers smacking their tails on the water when you get close in the pitch blackness and it sounds like you're taking on Confederate cannon fire from the Merrimack.

So...all that to say, can be pretty hit or miss.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Consider picking up Goodbye to a River by John Graves. It details his canoeing on the Brazos in the 50's through the area the dams were built. It gave me a new appreciation of the mile or so of river we kayak by our house.
Robert Wilson
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Consider picking up Goodbye to a River by John Graves. It details his canoeing on the Brazos in the 50's through the area the dams were built. It gave me a new appreciation of the mile or so of river we kayak by our house.

Outstanding book.

His others - hardscrabble and from a limestone ledge are also both good.
Bearly Interested
Are there any good places to put in kayaks between Whitney and Waco but somewhere in the middle so you have a good long day of paddling?

Thank you, in advance!
SteamedHams

Quote:

Are there any good places to put in kayaks between Whitney and Waco but somewhere in the middle so you have a good long day of paddling?

Thank you, in advance!

I've put in here before, called ahead and confirmed that they were ok with me

https://www.brazosriverrvpark.com/
Bearly Interested
SteamedHams said:

Quote:

Thank you, in advance!

I've put in here before, called ahead and confirmed that they were ok with me

https://www.brazosriverrvpark.com/
Thank you!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Still wanting to do this as well.

Group trip?
BerenstainBear
If a group could be organized to do something leading into a home football weekend next year, then I'd be highly interested.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BerenstainBear said:

If a group could be organized to do something leading into a home football weekend next year, then I'd be highly interested.

Would bake them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.