Anyone worried about Matthew Mayer?

11,521 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by McCavebear
JP1037
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Am I alone to be worried about Matthew Mayer? He is playing hard on defense but looks lost and unconfident on the offensive. We need that guy. What is going on with him? Wondering if he is better as a role player and not a key player.

Don't know.. hoping he can figure it out for our sake and his. Lots of time left in the season. I think our coaching staff will help him find the way.
MrGolfguy
Last game against Villanova he appeared hectic and nervous, like he was trying too hard to make something happen. Just needs to relax because he's got the skill & ability to play a significant role on the team.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
ScottS
No
CTbruin
No
Hotsauce
No.
BearFan33
No. He doesn't look much different to me. Maybe he is pressing a bit but his shot will start dropping sooner or later. I'm the meantime he's contributing in other ways.
Johnny Bear
MrGolfguy said:

Last game against Villanova he appeared hectic and nervous, like he was trying to hard to make something happen. Just needs to relax because he's got the skill & ability to play a significant role on the team.

I thought that as well - he may've been a bit too keyed up for that game. He's improved dramatically on the defensive end where early in his career he was often a liability. On the offensive end so far he has been inconsistent, alternating between at times looking fantastic and at times not looking much different from freshman Mayer playing out of control and jacking up unwise shots. It's obviously still early in the season and hopefully the offensive consistency will improve. His talent and skill set are unquestioned and even with his inconsistencies at times on the offensive end, he's still a valuable starter.
CTbruin
Think about this.

Of our 8 rotation players, 7 are capable of double digits any game. That is a real plus. Villanova had 2 and we shut them down Sunday. Ball game. All shooters have hot and cold streaks. Matthew is in a cold streak now.

But..his second half defense performance was incredible. It was a plus having him on the floor.

Flagler was having offensive struggles, but starting come out of it Sunday.

IMO, Matthew is showing real leadership on and off the court. The shots will start falling.
bear2be2
CTbruin said:

Think about this.

Of our 8 rotation players, 7 are capable of double digits any game. That is a real plus. Villanova had 2 and we shut them down Sunday. Ball game. All shooters have hot and cold streaks. Matthew is in a cold streak now.

But..his second half defense performance was incredible. It was a plus having him on the floor.

Flagler was having offensive struggles, but starting come out of it Sunday.

IMO, Matthew is showing real leadership on and off the court. The shots will start falling.
Imagine how good this team will be once Mayer and Flagler start shooting well. Those are two of the four most talented offensive players on this team and neither has even approached what he's capable of during this 9-0 start. It's pretty scary to think what we're going to do to teams once we're clicking on all cylinders offensively.
Bear8084
Not worried at all.
hodedofome
I'm more worried about him cutting his hair than his performance on the court.
parch
Even despite his size Mayer feasted last year on slips into the wing and hitting lightly contested corner kick-outs when Teague/Butler/Mitchell sucked in the defense. It seems like he's still adjusting to his role a defensive focal point. I think Flagler is somewhat in the same boat.

As a returner I think most of us (and maybe Drew as well) assumed Mayer would have to take more of central role in the offense. The good news is that Akinjo as a ball-handler looks like Pierre Jackson 2.0, and Sochan and Kendall Brown are developing extremely rapidly as slashers. I think this will allow Mayer to go back to more of a secondary kick-out dribble/drive option instead of being asked to be a multi-role wing. He doesn't seem at all comfortable in that role.
chorne68
Shooters go in and out of slumps. He will come out...hopefully at the right time.
Married A Horn
Lol - I dont think that's going to happen!
EvilTroyAndAbed
hodedofome said:

I'm more worried about him cutting his hair than his performance on the court.

That John Deere haircut is horrendous. God bless him.
Married A Horn
Come on! It wouldnt be him if he cut it! Lol
texillian
I think during the broadcast, it was mentioned that he gets pretty nervous before big games.

Shooting the ball can definitely be effected by nerves. My guess is that over time, with exposure to more big games, he's going to kick that. However, I'm also guessing starting the game vs coming in off the bench makes a difference as well.

Certainly didn't show it in the 3 he made to open the game.
Big_Pumpin
texillian said:

I think during the broadcast, it was mentioned that he gets pretty nervous before big games.

Shooting the ball can definitely be effected by nerves. My guess is that over time, with exposure to more big games, he's going to kick that. However, I'm also guessing starting the game vs coming in off the bench makes a difference as well.

Certainly didn't show it in the 3 he made to open the game.

Just about to mention this. I was a bit surprised at that considering he's a senior and we just won a national championship.

I love that his defense has improved so much. I'm not worried about Matt if this team is going to defend like they did Saturday.

I do wonder if he should post up more with his skill set
Stefano DiMera
No. Not worried one bit.

Team sport...he's contributing in multiple areas.

If this was a HORSE competition.. maybe.
Timbear
So far this year, Mayer is not good on Offense. In fact he may be the least effective Offensive player that's in the rotation. We've had 9 games, so it may not be a slump. He's great on D and rebounding. The hype around him this year is not helping his O game.
ABC BEAR
There were 26-35 NBA scouts in the stands for the 'Nova game. That may partially explain our overall shooting (38%) and 3PT (28%) woes for the game. Nervousness shows up more on offense than defense.
Adriacus Peratuun
Mayer is playing a different position offensively and is now consistently being guarded by smaller players [thus utilizing his size] rather than bigger players [where he utilized his quickness]. Will take a while to adjust.

The Teague role in the offense is unique……usage is so sporadic and dependent on what the D does. Not an easy role to pick up.
CTbruin
ABC BEAR said:

There were 26-35 NBA scouts in the stands for the 'Nova game. That may partially explain our overall shooting (38%) and 3PT (28%) woes for the game. Nervousness shows up more on offense than defense.

And we playing a very good defensive team
pwactwac
He is clearly in a little bit of an offensive funk. But with that said, did anyone else watch on Sunday when he came back out at half for warmups? Not exaggerating, he literally drilled 9 tres in a row. He looked tremendous. He is doing his thing, and I have no doubt he will turn the corner again.

100% needing to get rid of the current haircut though…
Married A Horn
Next thing y'all be sayin is Anthony Davis needs to trim his brow(s).
Robert Wilson
Nah

He's streaky

He will find it

He's doing a lot of other things

And we don't even really need him to score
ScottS
He'll probably score 20 vs Oregon this weekend.
vanillabryce
No, but also hell nah.
tomiathon
Yes and no. He is (unfortunately) doing exactly as I expected him to do on offense, but (fortunately) much better than I expected him to do on defense.
Alf
Not really, many of his shots were in and out. Just off a hair. He'll turn it around. I do get nervous with his dribbling, he shouldn't be dribbling more than 4 or 5 times.
Chuckroast
JP1037 said:

Am I alone to be worried about Matthew Mayer? He is playing hard on defense but looks lost and unconfident on the offensive. We need that guy. What is going on with him? Wondering if he is better as a role player and not a key player.

Don't know.. hoping he can figure it out for our sake and his. Lots of time left in the season. I think our coaching staff will help him find the way.
Not worried about him. I think our offense just needs to work on chemistry a little. Last year's team made the extra pass, and Butler and Mitchell were also phenomenal dribble penetrators that opened up the outside.

We did get some open 3 pt. looks against Villanova that we just simply missed, but it also seems people are trying to create their own shot more than making the extra pass. I don't think our dribble penetration is quite as good this year, and while we have 2-3 excellent 3 pt shooters (Meyer is one), we had even more great shooters last year. It seemed like we almost always got a good shot off last year by really working the ball around. I think our plan of attack this year is still a work in process.
Jokerman
ScottS said:

He'll probably score 20 vs Oregon this weekend.
Absolutely. You know he's got a 25-spot coming in a big game.
If you've watched him (or Baylor basketball, for that matter) for 3 years, you ain't got no reason to fret...
Robert Wilson
Agree. Our offense hasn't found its identity yet. We are relying a little more on Akinjo to penetrate to make something happen in the half court. I think as these guys get used to each other we'll start seeing more/better passing. O is going to take longer to gel. But it will. And with the way our D is playing it has time. We will also get to score a lot in transition the way we are getting stops.
Chuckroast
Robert Wilson said:

Agree. Our offense hasn't found its identity yet. We are relying a little more on Akinjo to penetrate to make something happen in the half court. I think as these guys get used to each other we'll start seeing more/better passing. O is going to take longer to gel. But it will. And with the way our D is playing it has time. We will also get to score a lot in transition the way we are getting stops.
Can you imagine what the score could have been against Villanova if we had hit some of the wide open 3's we missed? It would likely have also opened up the passing lanes and dribble penetration even more.

I think it's a good sign that we were able to get a bunch of wide open looks against a good team like Villanova. We should continue to be able to do that if we can do it against Villanova, and open shots should usually fall at a better rate with the level of shooters we have. It's a credit to our defense that Villanova got very few open or easy looks.
Crawfoso1973
No one has mentioned in this thread, but there is a huge difference in his role this year, starting vs.coming off the bench his first 3 years here.

Coming off the bench, he could be a loose cannon and attack defenses without a conscience.

As a starter on a team this talented, he now has to know when to attack and when to differ to other great offensive players. I have wondered if it would be best for both the team and for Matt to come off the bench again.

As many have mentioned, the offense as a whole is taking a minute to gel, Matt in particular to gel with the starting unit. When that inevitably happens, we will be scary good.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.