Anyone worried about Matthew Mayer?

11,583 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by McCavebear
Robert Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's why I left the premium board. It made me hate Baylor people. But I like the Baylor people I know in real life. So I figured I'd just leave the premium board. Easier.
RegentCoverup
Robert Wilson said:

That's why I left the premium board. It made me hate Baylor people. But I like the Baylor people I know in real life. So I figured I'd just leave the premium board. Easier.
If you ever get lonely for the Premium side, I can DM you about investment opportunities.

Having lived in Vegas, I'm qualified.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Media Bear
MrGolfguy said:

Last game against Villanova he appeared hectic and nervous, like he was trying too hard to make something happen. Just needs to relax because he's got the skill & ability to play a significant role on the team.
Pretty much everyone on the court looked that way most of the game given the way both teams were playing defense. A bit of an overreact IMO ...

In other words:

Hee-hee, hee. Hee-hee, hee. Woo! -- Michael Jackson
A buppa-ba-ba, buppa-buppa-ba. -- Paula Abdul
Say yah-yah-yah. -- John Mellencamp
Ooh-ooh wee-oo ooh-ooh-ooh. -- Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones
De do-do-do. De da-da-da. Is all I want to say to you. -- Sting (Gordon Sumner)/The Police
Ramidi ma-ma ba-di-ma, ramidi ma-ma ba-din-doe. -- David Draiman/Disturbed
C-c-c-c-come on. -- George Michael
People on streets, ee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da -- Freddie Mercury
setshot
I have been a little disappointed in Mayer at the offensive end this season, but it is likely to improve and I expect him to come on strong once we are into the conference schedule. He is a fine shooter from the arc and has an effective shot both in the paint and along the baseline, as we have seen. He also gets to the rim and finishes well. He has improved his discipline with the ball and has few turnovers. His rebounding has been in evidence to this point and his overall game shows to good effect.

I do not mean to imply that he is now a finished product at either end of the floor, but his defense this year is a more disciplined one than in the past. He moves his feet and recovers well, blocks shots with verticality, and while he still reaches every now and then, he has been an asset to the team defense that we now employ. I see real maturity now in that part of his game, and that makes me think that he will get a better flow to his offensive game than we have seen to date.

Commentators and analysts, Fraschilla among them, have consistently argued that Mayer is a legitimate NBA prospect, and I have not seen anything yet that would argue otherwise. The question about his maturity and composure was always there, of course, but I doubt that the scouts at the Villanova game missed the recovery and block on Gillespie that clearly rattled him and took him out of his rhythm. That was a big time play and a clear indication that Mayer's combination of speed and size, combined with an impressive skill set, cannot but help to attract favorable attention. His demeanor this year is that of a mature, veteran athlete who can take coaching and accept a reduced role on a team deep in competent reserves.

I am not sure where Matt will be at the season's end, but I have watched quite a few G-League games over the years and he is already better than many of the players I see there and in the summer league. I think that he will find his way into the NBA when his playing days at Baylor are done, but it may take him awhile to continue to learn his craft. What I see from him now is someone capable of doing that.
Bruin92
I was nervous about him going into the season. It is a much different role to be considered "the guy" than being more of a complimentary player like he was last year. Sure, he could take over a game last year and did (WVA)...but he also knew that when he was off..he had Butler, Teague and Mitchell to fall back on.

Matt is going to have to get used to and comfortable with being in a spotlight role. When you are counted on...you can't play with reckless abandon at all times. Matt could do that last year and get away with it. If it worked, Drew let him role with it. When it wasn't working...Drew would pull him.

He is still getting a feel for what his role is this season....he may not find that groove until later on in the year.

Mitch Henessey
Timbear said:

Mitch is from the Group think personal attack Board where different opinions are not allowed. Notice that Premium members, like Mitch, always attack others instead of giving a reasonable viewpoint on the topic. Scoring wise, Mayer is struggling this year, and without his history at Baylor, might not be starting. He certainly has the talent to be a force on O.
What the hell are you even talking about? Do you see a "P" by my name? I've never been a premium member here. I gave my rationale in my first post on this thread. You have the reading comprehension of a 6-year old.
BearnMI
No way...forget it.

Just keep on doing those blind side shot blocks like last Sunday. The opponents will be watching for MM rather than shooting.

He will deliver.
OldDominionBear
Some guys are better being the first off the bench. Jamal Crawford made generational wealth doing just that and also made more than a lot of NBA starters. Maybe Mayer is better when he's the 6th man instead of starting. After Oregon we have a few games to see if that's the case.
If scouts end up think of that as the kids of death to his pro career then they'll be in for a surprise when he makes a team and tears it up as the 6th man.
Crawfoso1973
OldDominionBear said:

Some guys are better being the first off the bench. Jamal Crawford made generational wealth doing just that and also made more than a lot of NBA starters. Maybe Mayer is better when he's the 6th man instead of starting. After Oregon we have a few games to see if that's the case.
If scouts end up think of that as the kids of death to his pro career then they'll be in for a surprise when he makes a team and tears it up as the 6th man.
I agree with this, have posted numerous times.
Timbear
Hey, Mitch, sorry I disparaged your name by accusing you of being a Premium member. I was confused because often you post like it. Sic'em Bears.
Mitch Henessey
Timbear said:

Hey, Mitch, sorry I disparaged your name by accusing you of being a Premium member. I was confused because often you post like it. Sic'em Bears.
Hey Tim, no worries. I'm sorry I took you off ignore. I thought you had decided to actually start posting things that are worthwhile. My mistake.
OldDominionBear
I feel like we've had another player like that recently but I can't remember who. Was it TJ Maston?
Louise Romano
I am somewhat new to BU sports, but not the sport of bball here in Italy. Mayer would be a star in our Europa League so he has a place playing pro ball somewhere.

I agree with setshot on almost all counts, but like many of you it now drives you even crazier to see him still making plays the same as his 1st year. You don't expect that from him by now so when it happens you immediately revert back to "well, that's the old Mayer." So far I think Drew still has to live with a little wild Matthew bc he hasn't changed from that guy on many possessions.

On D, he still has a problem going for the oldest move in the book, the pump fake and either blow by or step over jump shot. He is showing signs of a better defender overall and he has to at 6'10" or whatever he is. He ought to be able to alter shots or make guys give up the shot. I would say he is maybe 30% better this year at that but that is not enough. I fully expect by the end of Feb he will be 100% improved on the D side with BU's coaches.

On O is where the mystery is. What is he thinking on his 3 balls? He will nail a couple and then disappear. The best way for him to be better is to take guys down on the low post and shoot the fall away J or use his length to get a bank shot in motion. Once he sees the ball go in on shorter shots that will open up his outside game bc if you are defending him you will have to respect his ability to drive past you and voila a shoulders square straight up 3 ball will appear.

If all of this does not show up consistently by end of Feb then he will not be a 1st or 2nd round NBA draft. If it all comes together he is a lottery pick no doubt.
Crawfoso1973
I love Mayer but he has not shot whatsover at being a lottery pick.
Louise Romano
Crawfoso1973 said:

I love Mayer but he has not shot whatsover at being a lottery pick.
I know, but I said "if it all comes together" which admittedly will take 100% improvement in making his shot.
vanillabryce
Getting him the ball in the low post is a great idea when they put a guard on him.

College basketball is kinda notorious for not taking advantage of mismatches. CSD should draw up a few to get him the ball on the block.

I've also called for him to get the ball on the elbow, the Mavs did that with Dirk. He could shoot over smaller guys and drive past bigs. Mayer has that ability.
OldDominionBear
Honestly, how many times does Mayer actually use his size and try to get the ball in the post. I'm not trying to shoot down your reply but I'm genuinely curious.

It feels like maybe one or two times every other game. It's a damn shame too cause he's 6'9 and athletic af but doesn't like having the ball unless he's outside of the arc.
If he showed a good post up game his stock wouldn't be nosediving like it currently is. Threes and baseline dunks can only get you si far in the eyes of scouts.

Maybe if he goes 2nd round/UDFA and is put on a G-League team they can work him to the bone to start using his size down low plus he'd have more time to focus on getting better both on the court and getting muscle in the weight room after this year.

He could also go the Euro route for a year or two and then try to make the jump back to the US. Idk much about the play style at some of these top clubs in Israel, Turkey, and Spain but I'm sure they'd try to get him to use his size more instead of trying to beat guys off the dribble from behind the arc.
Euro League money isn't bad either if he chooses to stay. Tweety and Lace have made good money and a number of other former Bears are over there now too.
BleacherBum95
Robert Wilson said:

OldDominionBear
I agree for the most part Set. He definitely seems to be pushing and it's not helping him. Like I said in a post above he might be better as the 6th man since it will let him settle down and maybe not push as much to make something happen. It feels like this year being labeled as the top veteran on the squad might be a bit too much of a title for him to bear at the moment.

No doubt in my mind he'll tear it up either in the G-League or overseas and a NBA team will get him. Not e light time by NCAA rules to have him both learning to be more comfortable getting the ball in the high block and using his size and gaining the muscle needed to become better that type of bully ball.
vanillabryce
OldDominionBear said:

Honestly, how many times does Mayer actually use his size and try to get the ball in the post. I'm not trying to shoot down your reply but I'm genuinely curious.

It feels like maybe one or two times every other game. It's a damn shame too cause he's 6'9 and athletic af but doesn't like having the ball unless he's outside of the arc.
If he showed a good post up game his stock wouldn't be nosediving like it currently is. Threes and baseline dunks can only get you si far in the eyes of scouts.

Maybe if he goes 2nd round/UDFA and is put on a G-League team they can work him to the bone to start using his size down low plus he'd have more time to focus on getting better both on the court and getting muscle in the weight room after this year.

He could also go the Euro route for a year or two and then try to make the jump back to the US. Idk much about the play style at some of these top clubs in Israel, Turkey, and Spain but I'm sure they'd try to get him to use his size more instead of trying to beat guys off the dribble from behind the arc.
Euro League money isn't bad either if he chooses to stay. Tweety and Lace have made good money and a number of other former Bears are over there now too.

I see him back down smaller players but it's typically at the elbow or free throw line extended. No one is saying he should be Olajuwon, but if they can get a 6'4 guard on him they should exploit it.

Threes and dunks is what the NBA is all about.
OldDominionBear
vanillabryce said:

I see him back down smaller players but it's typically at the elbow or free throw line extended. No one is saying he should be Olajuwon, but if they can get a 6'4 guard on him they should exploit it.

LOL that's very true about the 3s and dunks but Russ, the F/G hybrids, and even Luka sometimes have no issue getting the ball at the high block and posting up. If Mayer learned that he'd be unstoppable.
Imagine him getting it high block in the triple threat position. The D knows he can beat guys off the dribble, is a decent passer, and a shooter. He could make millions just playing like that with an occasional 3 or baseline dunk. Him with the ability to consistently hit midrange shots off the triple threat would be a monster. An absolute monster.
vanillabryce
OldDominionBear said:

vanillabryce said:

LOL that's very true about the 3s and dunks but Russ, the F/G hybrids, and even Luka sometimes have no issue getting the ball at the high block and posting up. If Mayer learned that he'd be unstoppable.
Imagine him getting it high block in the triple threat position. The D knows he can beat guys off the dribble, is a decent passer, and a shooter. He could make millions just playing like that with an occasional 3 or baseline dunk. Him with the ability to consistently hit midrange shots off the triple threat would be a monster. An absolute monster.

Agree on that. I think he should be able to recognize the mismatch and go there, but the staff has to emphasize that to him - and maybe they do - I don't know.
Just a Bear in Frog World
He has yet to establish himself as the go to guy. He doesn't have to be though on this team with the talent around him. He lacks consistency and it is hurting his draft stock.

Does Baylor run specific sets for him?
Louise Romano
As well as backing down his man in the low post he also needs to flash into the lane. I have yet to see him receive a pass like Macio did last year and use his fade away shot making ability. Macio was incredible in the natty doing that. Truth is Mayer has so many capable facets to his game, but he is not using them. Some of that could be Drew is not drawing it up, but if he is going to be the go to guy then he must. Leave the 3 balls to Cryer, Akinjo and Flagler.

He could be much more useful in the paint IMO and that could open up wide open jumpers on a kick out. I don't know, but I hate to see a player of Mayers caliber NOT use his skills to his potential. He really is of all players on this team the biggest mystery.
Oso del lago
He might not be 100% he was a step slow last night and that usually isn't him. He will find it, i know it
historian
Pure speculation: maybe Mayer is holding back for conference play or the tournament. Or maybe the coaches are holding him back a bit or even a little of both.
OldDominionBear
historian said:

Pure speculation: maybe Mayer is holding back for conference play or the tournament. Or maybe the coaches are holding him back a bit or even a little of both.

I won't say it's impossible but it's really risky cause they are asking a guy who they've been throttling down for three months to get back to playing at 100%. I could see that doing more harm than good
OldDominionBear
I think he's lost a bit of confidence in his play causing him to be half a step slower. Since this is Mayer we're talking about him maybe losing confidence is actually a bit of a big deal.
OldDominionBear
Maybe he still doesn't know his actual role on this team is. If anything this team looks like it has more clear cut roles. Akinjo is getting the ball when he's on the court, Flagler is finding spots for open threes, Cryer is just being amazing, and the KB is good at bringing the ball up as a big (though Mayer has better handles).

He doesn't really have a niche he's carved out for himself on this team when last year it was clear he was the 6th man and energy bringer.
lookin4awin
historian said:

No
vanillabryce
100% there's a 0% chance
historian
OldDominionBear said:

historian said:

I won't say it's impossible but it's really risky cause they are asking a guy who they've been throttling down for three months to get back to playing at 100%. I could see that doing more harm than good

Good point
SSadler
texillian said:

I think during the broadcast, it was mentioned that he gets pretty nervous before big games.

Shooting the ball can definitely be effected by nerves. My guess is that over time, with exposure to more big games, he's going to kick that. However, I'm also guessing starting the game vs coming in off the bench makes a difference as well.

Certainly didn't show it in the 3 he made to open the game.
He's a Senior. Should be ready to go from the opening tip with his best game.. He is what he has always been--an offnesive (and recently defensive ++ ability}--but who plays a hully gully game. Always has; always will unless the D league coaches can do something Drew hasn't. And I douibt the D league coaches will be as patient as Drew has been. NBA talent? Sure NBA readiness? No, and in my mind too inconsistent to be even close.

Hope I'm wrong.
CTbruin
So many experts

I enjoy watching Mayer play and will miss him next year

His shot may not be falling, but he busts his butt every time on the floor
BUCANDOIT82
SSadler said:

texillian said:

I think during the broadcast, it was mentioned that he gets pretty nervous before big games.

Shooting the ball can definitely be effected by nerves. My guess is that over time, with exposure to more big games, he's going to kick that. However, I'm also guessing starting the game vs coming in off the bench makes a difference as well.

Certainly didn't show it in the 3 he made to open the game.
He's a Senior. Should be ready to go from the opening tip with his best game.. He is what he has always been--an offnesive (and recently defensive ++ ability}--but who plays a hully gully game. Always has; always will unless the D league coaches can do something Drew hasn't. And I douibt the D league coaches will be as patient as Drew has been. NBA talent? Sure NBA readiness? No, and in my mind too inconsistent to be even close.

Hope I'm wrong.
I have really good news for you. Your wrong.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.