Drew Timme Undrafted

4,998 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Mitch Blood Green
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
boognish_bear
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

It's really a shame that there's no place in the NBA for these three -- all of whom are outstanding basketball players.

The good news for them is they'll make a lot of money and have successful careers playing professionally overseas.

The NBA has really become a very boring game. It's all ISO and dish to open 3-point shooters or pick-and-roll/pick-and-pop. The skill level is very impressive. But the style isn't particularly interesting to watch.
Bakersdozen
I hate the NBA. Even though it is a form of basketball it isn't for me. I don't criticize anyone else, like both of my sons, who like it. I love college sports (football and basketball) way more. Just my opinion.
Bear51
Amen Bakersdozen!!
Fre3dombear
Bakersdozen said:

I hate the NBA. Even though it is a form of basketball it isn't for me. I don't criticize anyone else, like both of my sons, who like it. I love college sports (football and basketball) way more. Just my opinion.

NBA has sucked for a long long time.
LIB,MR BEARS
College Hoops > NBA

College Football > NFL (I'll get some disagreement here)

Mitch Blood Green
Not getting drafted doesn't mean you won't play. NBA has become global. I think that hurts college fans.

I've read about Wimby. Never saw him play. Then I learned they have a 6'8" guard on the same team. And a third player. All first round.

2 rounds in the draft. It's a tough nut.
bear2be2
Mitch Blood Green said:

Not getting drafted doesn't mean you won't play. NBA has become global. I think that hurts college fans.

I've read about Wimby. Never saw him play. Then I learned they have a 6'8" guard on the same team. And a third player. All first round.

It's not a matter of competition for big men. It's that there's no market for them. There's no place in the NBA for a back-to-the basket post scorer, and that's an indictment on the brand of play IMO.
Crawfoso1973
Mitch Blood Green said:

Not really hurting college fans or college hoops. Look at our own Baylor team, our coaches are well ahead of the curve as per usual. Thre are few traditional post players playing anywhere and we don't recruit them. Our offense is guard-oriented. We recruit pick and roll bigs who set high screens and do nothing else offensively. We won a natty with Flo and Vital in the starting lineup and EJ off the bench.
vanillabryce
I'm not sure that going undrafted isn't beneficial for them. Fred Van Vleet and Austin Reaves got to choose where they might be a better fit.

Timme had four years to develop a three point shot but really never did it. I know a few UK fans who aren't upset Tshiebwe is gone - not saying they're right.
bear2be2
vanillabryce said:

I'm not sure that going undrafted isn't beneficial for them. Fred Van Vleet and Austin Reaves got to choose where they might be a better fit.

Timme had four years to develop a three point shot but really never did it. I know a few UK fans who aren't upset Tshiebwe is gone - not saying they're right.
My point is that a post player shouldn't have to develop a 3-point shot to have a place in high level basketball. The NBA is a boring game as a result. Every team is two stars and a bunch of catch-and-shoot wallflowers.
boognish_bear
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

It's going to be crazy when Zach Edey goes late in the second round or undrafted next year. It's just a bad time to be a skilled big man. The league has no use for you.
EvilTroyAndAbed
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

It's going to be crazy when Zach Edey goes late in the second round or undrafted next year. It's just a bad time to be a skilled big man. The league has no use for you.

Unless your name is Nikola Jokic
bear2be2
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

Unless your name is Nikola Jokic
Or Joel Embiid. But those are both freak hybrid guys who fit the modern NBA game really well. If you're a traditional big, you're screwed.
BUCANDOIT82
All 3 of these guys are too small to play Center in the NBA unless they can hit the 3 and drive to the basket, which they can't. If they were 7'1" tall they could have a back to the basket game.
CorsicanaBear
Drew Timme = too soft.

BBWCBear
Bakersdozen said:

Ditto! I wouldn't walk across the street with free tickets for any professional sport. College is my weak spot.
LIB,MR BEARS
BBWCBear said:

Bakersdozen said:

Ditto! I wouldn't walk across the street with free tickets for any professional sport. College is my weak spot.
BaylorDan, is that you.
Mitch Blood Green
BBWCBear said:

Bakersdozen said:

To each his own.

NBA playoffs have been very entertaining. Denver was fun to watch take down western giants and Miami? 8 to championship game! Fantastic.

MLB with a pitch clock, larger bags and no shifts? Great ideas.

NFL? Had a great year, too. My disappointment this year is our Bears.
Method Man
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

It's really a shame that there's no place in the NBA for these three -- all of whom are outstanding basketball players.

The good news for them is they'll make a lot of money and have successful careers playing professionally overseas.

The NBA has really become a very boring game. It's all ISO and dish to open 3-point shooters or pick-and-roll/pick-and-pop. The skill level is very impressive. But the style isn't particularly interesting to watch.
I wish we could go back to the old days so there was a place for these "outstanding" players.....
If they were good enough to play in the NBA then they would have been drafted.

In the past these players would have been considered stiffs. Back in the day there were plenty of outstanding college players whose games just didnt relate to the next level of the NBA.
bear2be2
Method Man said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

I wish we could go back to the old days so there was a place for these "outstanding" players.....

In the past these players would have been considered stiffs. Back in the day there were plenty of outstanding college players whose games just didnt relate to the next level of the NBA.
None of these three guys are "stiffs" at all. They just don't fit into an NBA that is way too enamored with and reliant on the 3-point shot. The NBA product largely sucks as a result.

Every lineup has one ball handler and either four guys hanging out on the 3-point line or three with a pick-and-roll big. It's a **** version of a great game.
Frank Galvin
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

Yet-

Embid, Jokic and Antetokounmpo are the three leading candiates for MVP.
bear2be2
Frank Galvin said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

Yet-

Embid, Jokic and Antetokounmpo are the thrre leading candiates for MVP.
Giannis is a 7-foot wing player and the other two are freaks of nature.

7-footers who can run the offense from the high post and/or shoot 35 percent from 3-point range should be in the MVP discussion. But that shouldn't be a requirement for a 7-footer to get drafted.

There are hall of famers who would be fighting for a second-round pick in the modern NBA, which is just stupid.
Method Man
bear2be2 said:

Method Man said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

None of these three guys are "stiffs" at all. They just don't fit into an NBA that is way too enamored with and reliant on the 3-point shot. The NBA product largely sucks as a result.

Every lineup has one ball handler and either four guys hanging out on the 3-point line or three with a pick-and-roll big. It's a **** version of a great game.
Why would these guys not be stiffs? Because you said so?

If they were good enough to play in the NBA then they would have been drafted. There is nothing "new" about this.
20- or 30 years ago their were plenty of tremendous college players who lacked the skill, athleticism and talent to make it in the NBA.

Most of those guys (Especially Timme) are usually great college players because they are bigger and stronger than 95% of their competition. The issue comes when the NBA is made up almost entirely of that 5%.

The NBA product does not suck.......... unless you don't like watching the highest skilled basketball players in the entire world.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Mitch Blood Green said:

Wemby already has his first groupie! Apparently a little blonde M I L F from Louisiana vacationing in Vegas tried to grab him from behind before his security guys pushed her away.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
bear2be2
Method Man said:

bear2be2 said:

Method Man said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

If they were good enough to play in the NBA then they would have been drafted. There is nothing "new" about this.
20- or 30 years ago their were plenty of tremendous college players who lacked the skill, athleticism and talent to make it in the NBA.

Most of those guys (Especially Timme) are usually great college players because they are bigger and stronger than 95% of their competition. The issue comes when the NBA is made up almost entirely of that 5%.

The NBA product does not suck.......... unless you don't like watching the highest skilled basketball players in the entire world.
They didn't get drafted because the NBA no longer values their skill set. That doesn't make them stiffs.

Guys like Patrick Ewing, Shaq and Tim Duncan would have no place in the modern NBA. That's doesn't make them worse players. It's just the current state of the game/style of play, and it sucks.

If you're not a ball-handler, they want you on the 3-point line waiting to chuck up a catch-and-shoot 3. And there's no place whatsoever for a traditional five because they'd rather have a long, athletic rim runner than someone who can score with his back to the basket. It's the least entertaining product the NBA has ever put on the floor.
Fre3dombear
bear2be2 said:

Method Man said:

bear2be2 said:

Method Man said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

They didn't get drafted because the NBA no longer values their skill set. That doesn't make them stiffs.

Guys like Patrick Ewing, Shaq and Tim Duncan would have no place in the modern NBA. That's doesn't make them worse players. It's just the current state of the game/style of play, and it sucks.

If you're not a ball-handler, they want you on the 3-point line waiting to chuck up a catch-and-shoot 3. And there's no place whatsoever for a traditional five because they'd rather have a long, athletic rim runner than someone who can score with his back to the basket. It's the least entertaining product the NBA has ever put on the floor.

I don't disagree. Hadnt watched in Years
BBWCBear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Wemby already has his first groupie! Apparently a little blonde M I L F from Louisiana vacationing in Vegas tried to grab him from behind before his security guys pushed her away.
In the clip I saw, I believe Jeremy Sochan (purple hair) was a couple of guys behind Wemby as they continued on walking.
bear2be2
If you want to know what's wrong with the modern NBA, the Victor Wembanyama hype is a pretty good place to start. Same with Chet Holmgren last year.

Guys like Kofi Cockburn and Oscar Tshiebwe would emasculate the Charmin soft preying mantises that pass for post players on a lot of these teams. But the league has decided it wants its 7-footers weighing 180 pounds and chucking 3s instead of playing and scoring on the block.
Crawfoso1973
Not to enter this pissing match, but Chet and Wemby aren't trying to pass as post players. They are not soft just because they have a certain body type. They are also incredibly skilled at their size which to me equates to entertainment. But to each his own.
bear2be2
Crawfoso1973 said:

Not to enter this pissing match, but Chet and Wemby aren't trying to pass as post players. They are not soft just because they have a certain body type. They are also incredibly skilled at their size which to me equates to entertainment. But to each his own.
They're the five in most lineups they're in. And they are absolutely soft, finesse players. Guys like Cockburn and Tshiebwe would steal their lunch money. They'd get pushed right under the basket and scored on with ease.

That said, I'm not against those players. They're definitely uniquely skilled. But when they're the only kind of 7-footer that has any hope of getting drafted in the first round, the sport has a problem IMO.

Tim Duncan is a vastly superior basketball player to either of those guys, and he'd be lucky to get drafted in the second round in the modern NBA. That's a joke.
Mitch Henessey
The modern NBA is the most efficient way to play under the current rules. It's not like there's been some collusion against traditional post players. It's just not as efficient of a way to score.

There are people paid millions of dollars to figure this out. Complaining about it is big-time "old man yells at cloud" energy.
bear2be2
Mitch Henessey said:

The modern NBA is the most efficient way to play under the current rules. It's not like there's been some collusion against traditional post players. It's just not as efficient of a way to score.

There are people paid millions of dollars to figure this out. Complaining about it is big-time "old man yells at cloud" energy.
And yet, the team that just won the title has the best, most efficient post scorer in the entire NBA.

Analytics are great, but they have limitations. And there are a minimum of 20 teams in the NBA currently relying way too heavily on the 3-point shot. If that style of play were so efficient, we wouldn't have 10 godawful teams in the league every year and 10 others that are thoroughly mediocre playing that way.

I'm not going to listen to the Detroit Pistons or San Antonio Spurs tell me that traditional post play is outdated while winning 17 and 22 games. Nor do I want to hear from the 10 teams that are hovering around .500 all year about how great their style of play is.

I've seen enough elite NBA teams over the past 30 years to know there is more than one way to build a championship roster. This current philosophy and the steadfast defense by those who champion it is the definition of hubris.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.