Scott Drew forever

1,512 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by GoodOleBaylorLine
BearlyBeloved
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Happily, it's not the time of year when rumors abound about basketball coaches playing musical chairs.

But reflecting on last night's win, the new Foster Pavilion, and how blessed Baylor is to have Coach Scott Drew, I thought I'd pose the question:

Is there ANY job ANYWHERE that could possibly entice CSD to go elsewhere??

I doubt that there is, but I'd like to hear people sound off about it.

guadalupeoso
I do not foresee Scott Drew going anywhere. At this point, there would almost be no point. He is able to recruit at Baylor at an elite level, has top notch facilities, has proven that national championships can be won here, and coaches a top tier team in the best conference in the country. Also, we are willing to pay him whatever he wants. So there isn't really any factors that somebody could throw out there that he doesn't have working for him at Baylor, other than perhaps tradition - which is something he is creating at Baylor.

HOWEVER, I have heard that Kentucky fans would be interested in Scott Drew if they ever actually pulled the trigger on getting rid of Cal. I don't think Scott Drew would be interested in Kentucky, but I do think it is 1 of maybe 3 or 4 jobs that would at least give him pause to think. Again, to reiterate or those with low reading comprehensions skills, I DO NOT THINK SCOTT DREW WILL LEAVE BAYLOR FOR KENTUCKY. But it's 1 of the few places that might have some allure, if they were to come calling.
BearlyBeloved
Thanks for your analysis. There are a few (very few) places that would cause any coach to reflect (but perhaps only briefly) before automatically rejecting an invite.

And there may be some amounts of money that would be so gargantuan that they would tempt anyone. But probably nobody has enough money to tempt CSD. Not even the multi-zillionaire Jimbo Fisher!
bear2be2
I think Scott Drew is a Baylor lifer at this point. As long as we do our part and give him the support he's earned, he'll continue to build on his Hall of Fame resume and cement his legacy as a Baylor and college basketball coaching legend.

We're so extremely fortunate to have kept Scott Drew for as long as we have. But I think there are a lot of factors that make Drew and Baylor the perfect marriage. When you have that, it's best not to mess with it.
TXBEAR_bf
I thought when the Iu job was available that it would possibly be of interest. If he didn't budge for that job then I can't see Kentucky either. He is Baylor basketball at this point and setting the record for all coaches moving forward. With any other blue blood he kind of can't win. With all the NIL, transfer portal dynamics it is harder to build a consistent power house program. In addition he is following some greats. He is a great fit for Baylor. He can keep setting records here and be a top 10 coach all time.
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
BUAL
Baylor lifer but IU, PU or Notre Dame if offered at the right time has been my only worry. Much like Kim and LSU. I think unlikely but concerning. Maybe AZ if all his family was out there and health of parents. Don't see him enjoying NBA. Sure want him to stay.
TXBEAR_bf
I U was already an option.

I may be naive, but just can't see the NBA for Drew.
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
DallasBear9902
I think Drew is a lifer, but I thought the same of KM (ducks). Drew is, of course, very different from Mulk in style and personality and I don't see the same issue rising there.

I think Drew leaves only if he perceives a better opportunity to win WHILE being true his authentic self. Maybe, if you twist your neck, you could see it at certain Bible Belt state flagship schools if Baylor gets left behind in the world of big time college athletics. But the church/state issues would be lurking in the background. I think the Big 10 is out for that reason and same for much of the ACC. Kentucky could fit the bill.

I don't believe this happens in any way, but a crazy thought experiment is if Baylor does get left behind big time college athletics and he's looking for a school that will embrace and completely be supportive of a culture of JOY, then the one school it could POSSIBLY be is in South Bend. It would put him an hour away from home. It would be slightly awkward with the Catholic identity of the school and recruiting could get tricky, but he wouldn't have to worry about any church/state issues. This is like a 1 in 100,000 scenario, but it's the only scenario I see.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I sure hope not.

However, if he does the game threads have a few guys that know more about the game than CSD but I am not sure 3,700,000 would be enough to lure them from their day jobs.
CTbruin
Considering the new house he is building, he is going nowhere.
BearlyBeloved
CTbruin said:

Considering the new house he is building, he is going nowhere.
Scary thoughts:

Foster Pavilion is so loud that Drew's hearing is damaged, and he's forced to leave for someplace quiet.

OR the camera angle never gets fixed and he leaves out of frustration.

I'm just letting the negative side of my imagination run wild.

GoodOleBaylorLine
All I could see is he wants a new challenge at some point, and that would be the NBA, But I also don't think he wants to be an NBA coach.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.