Man, is Houston loses to aggie

1,740 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Aliceinbubbleland
Fre3dombear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow
Quinton
Fre3dombear said:

Wow

Not with this FT shooting. They're more athletic but they're a playground team. A&M is choking
bear2be2
Houston is answering its offensive critics tonight. Forty-three points in a half is pretty damn good for any team, but especially one known for its defense.
Aliceinbubbleland
Cannot get use to seeing Cryer playing at UH. He is having a good game but just seems unreal.
ImABearToo
Aggie's have female cheerleaders? No milkmen?
IvanBear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Cannot get use to seeing Cryer playing at UH. He is having a good game but just seems unreal.

We look foolish paying JaKobe over him.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

He wouldn't have been the same player for us.

Our fans need to stop looking at transfers and assuming keeping them would have allowed them to reach the same potential they did with their second schools.

I've seen it with with Dain Dainja, who could barely fit into a jersey before he left Waco, and now Cryer, who was one of the worst defenders Scott Drew has ever coached.

Those two needed hard-nosed coaches who would hold them accountable in a way that was never going to happen in Waco.

That's not an indictment on Drew, who has a ton of transfer success stories of his own. It's just an acknowledgement that all players thrive under different types of leadership.

If Cryer had stayed, he'd have been the exact same player for us that he was in 2022 and 2023. There's value in that player, but he needed to get to Houston and play under Kelvin Sampson to become the defensive player that he has. That would have never happened in Waco under Drew -- just as Dainja likely wouldn't have committed himself to fitness and discipline without Underwood's influence.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Our fans need to stop looking at transfers and assuming keeping them would have allowed them to reach the same potential they did with their second schools.

I've seen it with with Dain Dainja, who could barely fit into a jersey before he left Waco, and now Cryer, who was one of the worst defenders Scott Drew has ever coached.

Those two needed hard-nosed coaches who would hold them accountable in a way that was never going to happen in Waco.

That's not an indictment on Drew, who has a ton of transfer success stories of his own. It's just an acknowledgement that all players thrive under different types of leadership.

If Cryer had stayed, he'd have been the exact same player for us that he was in 2022 and 2023. There's value in that player, but he needed to get to Houston and play under Kelvin Sampson to become the defensive player that he has. That would have never happened in Waco under Drew -- just as Dainja likely wouldn't have committed himself to fitness and discipline without Underwood.

For one cryer last year and the year before was clearly a better player than Jakobe this year.

Two, he would have taken a step defensively for certain, maybe not what he's doing at Houston (although I think he's not that much better defensively there). Cryer never looked half as lost in man defense as Walter did.

Three, his attitude would have been better as well because Drew wouldn't be trying to recruit over arguably the best 3 point shooter in our history.

It's not like you pick him up and he's the exact same but cryer really isn't much different for Houston than he was for us.

This isn't like djina who wanted to be paid to sit around at eat and clearly had a bad attitude. Illinois is a group of mercenaries, always has been.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

If Cryer had stayed, he'd have been the exact same player for us that he was in 2022 and 2023. There's value in that player, but he needed to get to Houston and play under Kelvin Sampson to become the defensive player that he has. That would have never happened in Waco under Drew -- just as Dainja likely wouldn't have committed himself to fitness and discipline without Underwood.

For one cryer last year and the year before was clearly a better player than Jakobe this year.

Two, he would have taken a step defensively for certain, maybe not what he's doing at Houston (although I think he's not that much better defensively there). Cryer never looked half as lost in man defense as Walter did.

Three, his attitude would have been better as well because Drew wouldn't be trying to recruit over arguably the best 3 point shooter in our history.

It's not like you pick him up and he's the exact same but cryer really isn't much different for Houston than he was for us.

This isn't like djina who wanted to be paid to sit around at eat and clearly had a bad attitude. Illinois is a group of mercenaries, always has been.

Cryer was a good offensive player. He gave back every point he scored on the other end.

If Cryer was the difference-maker you suggest, he would have made that difference for us.

We were virtually the same team this year we were last year. We traded one flawed player for another.

Props to LJ for unlocking more of his potential in Houston. We've had several who thrived more under Drew's more laid back influence and did the same for us.
Fre3dombear
Ruh roh
True Grit
Are we at a record for fouls or free throws?
GoodOleBaylorLine
UH is probably going to have its entire starting line up foul out by the end of this OT

Kelvin Sampson hard nose D bites him in the ass again
Fre3dombear
Officials gifting one to the aggies?
ImABearToo
UH down to their Austin Sacks?
Fre3dombear
Aggy top player 5/25 lol

Almost Walter like when I was putting good vibes out that he was gonna explode and then he let me down. I was sad
Fre3dombear
ImABearToo said:

UH down to their Austin Sacks?

Yep
whitetrash
Coog hi survives against a team that really didn't belong in the tourney in the first place.
GoodOleBaylorLine
whitetrash said:

Coog hi survives against a team that really didn't belong in the tourney in the first place.

There is that
bear2be2
whitetrash said:

I hate A&M, but they earned their way in with a strong SEC tournament performance. No one with 20 wins -- seven in QUAD 1 -- is getting left out of the tournament.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

I hate A&M, but they earned their way in with a strong SEC tournament performance. No one with 20 wins -- seven in QUAD 1 -- is getting left out of the tournament.

That's fine but they should have been a first four team. Not a 9 seed.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

That's fine but they should have been a first four team. Not a 9 seed.
That's only the difference of one seed. And all the teams in the first four had their own warts. I'd have had a problem if A&M had gotten a seven. But their tournament performance made the committee look pretty smart.
GoodOleBaylorLine
bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

OU and Seton both had 20 wins, played in a better conference and Seton had far better wins than A&M (UConn and Marquette). A&M was picked because they are the one of the largest state school in the country,
bear2be2
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

OU and Seton both had 20 wins, played in a better conference and Seton had far better wins than A&M (UConn and Marquette). A&M was picked because they are the one of the largest state school in the country,
Seton Hall was 5-8 in QUAD 1 games and Oklahoma was 4-12.

Neither had the depth of wins A&M (7-7) did. And Oklahoma, which played an embarrassing noncon schedule, wasn't even lose.
IvanBear
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

score board I'd argue SEC looks like a better conference than the big 12 at this point. Our best team struggled mightily against the middling aggies. We have the same number if sweet sixteen teams.
GoodOleBaylorLine
Giving scoreboard to a conference that lost 3 games to double digits seeds seems interesting
EvilTroyAndAbed
IvanBear said:

GoodOleBaylorLine said:

bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

score board I'd argue SEC looks like a better conference than the big 12 at this point. Our best team struggled mightily against the middling aggies. We have the same number if sweet sixteen teams.
You don't judge a conference on a one-game scenario. That's called a small sample size. People who do that are lazy. Florida Atlantic was not one of the four best teams in basketball last year. But they had a great run. The tournament is the tournament. It rarely gives us the best overall team or best conference. Sometimes it does, but most times not.
Johnny Bear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IvanBear said:

GoodOleBaylorLine said:

bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

You don't judge a conference on a one-game scenario. That's called a small sample size. People who do that are lazy. Florida Atlantic was not one of the four best teams in basketball last year. But they had a great run. The tournament is the tournament. It rarely gives us the best overall team or best conference. Sometimes it does, but most times not.

The aggys this season were a case of a team that was arguably the most "Jekyll & Hyde" team in America for most of the season that caught fire at the end and was by far playing its best bball at exactly the right time of season. I'm not a UH fan by any stretch but beating the aggys at a time when they were clearly on a run of playing great was more of an accomplishment than just beating a "midlin' SEC team".
Aliceinbubbleland
I think this year we qualify for Jekyle and Hyde.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.