Cal to Arkansas

2,552 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by whitetrash
OurOurs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There were a few posters here mocking Arkansas' attempts to lure a big-time coach. It looks like U of A proved them wrong.

Also, ESPN put out an article about how it went down. What interests me most about this article (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39898367/what-means-kentucky-john-calipari-moving-arkansas-new-head-coach-whos-next) are the last two sentences:

"Baylor's Scott Drew is probably the most realistic target, and he just turned down Louisville. Whether Kentucky can hire -- or at least try to hire -- Drew will likely be determined by the buyout in Drew's new deal."

I don't like how often Drew is getting mentioned in these shake-ups. Drew is Baylor. It would be extremely unfortunate to see him leave any way other than retirement. Hopefully, we lock him down and keep giving him what he needs to continue his incredible tenure with BU.

Is it just his success that is getting him continuously mentioned in these job searches, or do we have anything to be genuinely worried about?
sicem2471
OurOurs said:

There were a few posters here mocking Arkansas' attempts to lure a big-time coach. It looks like U of A proved them wrong.

Also, ESPN put out an article about how it went down. What interests me most about this article (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39898367/what-means-kentucky-john-calipari-moving-arkansas-new-head-coach-whos-next) are the last two sentences:

"Baylor's Scott Drew is probably the most realistic target, and he just turned down Louisville. Whether Kentucky can hire -- or at least try to hire -- Drew will likely be determined by the buyout in Drew's new deal."

I don't like how often Drew is getting mentioned in these shake-ups. Drew is Baylor. It would be extremely unfortunate to see him leave any way other than retirement. Hopefully, we lock him down and keep giving him what he needs to continue his incredible tenure with BU.

Is it just his success that is getting him continuously mentioned in these job searches, or do we have anything to be genuinely worried about?
Drew hasn't seriously considered an offer in many many years. They just assume he wants to leave because we are a "small school" and they think his salary and buyout are smaller than they are because we are a private school and don't need to disclose it.
IvanBear
Louisville was always a delusional school who thinks they're a blue blood level school that clearly isn't. The fact they ever thought they were competitive for Drew is hilarious and deserving of scorn, multiple schools with far less basketball history made higher profile hires than them this off season.

Kentucky and UNC are really the two jobs I could ever see Drew leaving for I don't think he would just based on religion and state schools don't mix well, but they are the two jobs he would have such a level of power he could probably get away with whatever he wants, (as long as he keeps winning).

Having said that I don't think Drew makes sense at at state school, but it's hard to deny Rhodes runs an incompetent (NIL etc) and toxic (chases off good coaches for lesser ones) athletic department, and our BOD seems to actively spite winning sports programs. I hope there's nothing going on behind the scenes that is keeping Drew's name in the mix for jobs. Instead it's hopefully just envy.

Impressive splash hire for Arkansas, I think it's a bad one (I say this coming from a Arkansas family), but hey they threw their weight around and got a bigger name than they initially went for.

Stefano DiMera
All this tumult because SMU fired Rob Lanier ..lol
boykin_spaniel
When you're a non traditional championship team and a job opens up that is perceived as having more history and money then your title winning coach will get mentioned and maybe even pursued.

Drew turned down Indiana (his home state) and appeared to not even give Louisville a sniff. Kentucky is different. It's a blank check job with some of the deepest history. That said it's a total pressure cooker like Texas football.

Drew has a job for life at Baylor. He can miss a tourney and his job status is safe. Fans might grumble but it's only fan talk. Optimistic we keep Drew and if we do I'd expect Kentucky to pursue Dan Hurley and other massive names.
Stefano DiMera
I predict Nate Oates or Sean Miller.

I wouldn't count out a dark horse. Former UK legend Mark Pope.
Bearsalwayswin
I was thinking about that once I head the news drop
Fre3dombear
Stefano DiMera said:

Don't see many team captains average 7 points and 20 minutes but that's Mark Pope his senior year. Don't know much more about him. Too old for me to have seen him. Maybe more to that story. Seems rather pedestrian for a captain.
Stefano DiMera
Fre3dombear said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Don't see many team captains average 7 points and 20 minutes but that's Mark Pope his senior year. Don't know much more about him. Too old for me to have seen him. Maybe more to that story. Seems rather pedestrian for a captain.

Now you're making me feel old

Nine players from that team whose nickname was 'The Untouchables ' played in the NBA including 4 who were drafted including Pope .

Widely regarded as one of the 3-4 greatest teams of all time if not the greatest.
Fre3dombear
Stefano DiMera said:

Fre3dombear said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Nine players from that team whose nickname was 'The Untouchables ' played in the NBA including 4 who were drafted including Pope .

Widely regarded as one of the 3-4 greatest teams of all time if not the greatest.

Cool but his stats as captain as a cursory glance seem odd for him to be a "legend" but I likely never saw him play
DallasBear9902
Stefano DiMera said:

Fre3dombear said:

Stefano DiMera said:

One of the most consequential teams in NCAA history. If that group doesn't make it look so easy does Pitino leave after the '97 season? The recruits that signed to play with UK after '96 team help the team get back to the finals in '97 and then let Tubby Smith waltz into a national title in '98.

If '96 doesn't look so dominant and Pitino isn't convinced the Celtics were getting Tim Duncan, Pitino is absolutely primed at Kentucky to go on a ten year run of dominance. Nobody was close to what Pitino was cooking. It was John Wooden/UCLA level of dominance that Pitino would have unleashed.
Mitch Henessey

[Lee Corso voice] "Not so fast, my friend."
PartyBear
That really makes no sense. It isn't like Arkansas is forcing him to be the HC there. He chose to seek the job and accept it. The way he could have stayed at UK was to not do those things. That tweet sounds like BS.
Mitch Henessey
I'm not saying it's true, but the guy quoted in the tweet runs one of the largest, most tied-in Kentucky paid message boards. Take it for what you paid for it, which is nothing.
Johnny Bear
Mitch Henessey said:

So now I'm confused. While I get it that this is just a tweet from some supposedly "connected" dude, it is true that there has not to my knowledge even been an announcement yet about a press conference announcing Cal as the new Arky HC. Is he or is he not officially the new HC there (at least at this point)??
IvanBear
Johnny Bear said:

Mitch Henessey said:

So now I'm confused. While I get it that this is just a tweet from some supposedly "connected" dude, it is true that there has not to my knowledge even been an announcement yet about a press conference announcing Cal as the new Arky HC. Is he or is he not officially the new HC there (at least at this point)??
From a reliable Arkansas source, I'm hearing Arkansas Board of Directors has to approve the contract and they are meeting this afternoon, so we won't hear anything until that occurs.
PartyBear
It is already official UK and Calipari have announced it within the past hour.
historian
Is there any certainty in the figures cited for Drew's buyout? I would expect it to be comparable to the other top coaches in the country & he is clearly one of the top 5-10 by any metric. We should probably make it higher ($10-20 million or mire would be great), just to make sure he stays in place and to end all this speculation every time an opening appears somewhere.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
vanillabryce
Calipari probably believes all his Bs
whitetrash
boognish_bear said:

Next year it will be the same number of years since Arky won as between Arky's title and Loyola of Chicago's title.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.