The greatest Baylor men's basketball players of all time

2,338 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by TWD 1974
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some surprises here:

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-baylor-bears-basketball-players/ranker-ncaa-basketball

I will say these things are always somewhat subjective but I think it is mostly agreeable.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
IvanBear
This was fun! A few guys are getting over weighted by their NBA careers. Not sure what Manu is doing that high on this list, although he did have 1 good year for us.
Crawfoso1973
IvanBear said:

This was fun! A few guys are getting over weighted by their NBA careers. Not sure what Manu is doing that high on this list, although he did have 1 good year for us.
And a few by their coaching careers. Grant McCasland somehow ended up on the list? LOL.
whitetrash
Crawfoso1973 said:

IvanBear said:

And a few by their coaching careers. Grant McCasland somehow ended up on the list? LOL.
By that reasoning, they should have included David Sibley for his political career.

But Julio Gallardo? AKA "the Mexican Bricklayer"?
Johnny Bear
whitetrash said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

IvanBear said:

By that reasoning, they should have included David Sibley for his political career.

But Julio Gallardo? AKA "the Mexican Bricklayer"?

Regardless of his political career or anything else he did after his BU playing years, David Sibley belongs on that list ahead of several of the guys that made it.
Bleed Green
No Audre "Open from the Parking Lot" Branch? Tragic that some of those names are there without him. Unless this is most famous Baylor players. He was better than at least 10 of those guys.
whitetrash
Bleed Green said:

No Audre "Open from the Parking Lot" Branch? Tragic that some of those names are there without him. Unless this is most famous Baylor players. He was better than at least 10 of those guys.
Was he the one who had a lengthy career with the Harlem Globetrotters? I remember we had one player who did.
Big12Bear
Yeah Branch was a Globetrotter.

In sad news, Branch had posted recently about fellow BU legend Willie Sublett: "Servant well done" Rest up Willie Sublett. Great teammate, friend and brother.
Crawfoso1973
Big12Bear said:

In sad news, Branch had posted recently about fellow BU legend Willie Sublett: "Servant well done" Rest up Willie Sublett. Great teammate, friend and brother.
Sublett was a straight baller. So talented.
whitetrash
Crawfoso1973 said:

Big12Bear said:

Sublett was a straight baller. So talented.
But also had a tendency to foul out in single digit minutes.
OkieBear12
No Kevin Rogers? Biggest unsung hero in Baylor bball as he was the start of the increase in recruiting prowess and rise of the program. Probably would be a no brainer top 25 or top 30 had he played on some of the more skilled teams.
Crawfoso1973
Yes I remember him generally being very undisciplined overall in his game. But he had incredible physical ability.
BluesBear
Butler and Mitchell were great players but I don't see them as my #1 and #2.....

Hard to pass up Vinny, Wesley and Skinner. all went on to have stellar NBA careers....

They need to remove John Lucas. He left Baylor - unless it was for the NBA, we shouldn't count guys who transferred out.
parch
I think NBA impact is (or should be) irrelevant in a list of best Baylor players of all time. It should be their relative team impact on the court for Baylor during their stay. Acy and Prince in particular are higher than they should be IMO, and guaranteed that's because of NBA rep.

And in that case, here's my top 10:

1. Jared Butler
2. Vinnie Johnson
3. Davion Mitchell
4. David Wesley
5. LaceDarius Dunn
6. Tweety Carter
7. Macio Teague
8. Terry Teagle
9. Brian Skinner
10. Mark Vital
pwactwac
I guess I am being an 80's homer, but any Top 10 list that doesn't include Michael Williams isn't complete…
Mitch Blood Green
Michael Tate!
IvanBear
BluesBear said:

Bluter and Mitchell were great players but I don't see them as my #1 and #2.....

Hard to pass up Vinny, Wesley and Skinner. all went on to have stellar NBA careers....

They need to remove John Lucas. He left Baylor - unless it was for the NBA, we shouldn't count guys who transferred out.

Not sure how you don't have Mitchell as the best point guard we've ever had. That dude was so dominate and it was vastly overlooked because Jared Butler had the ability flash and drop 30.

Mitchell is the first guy I'm taking on any roster I build out of all time Baylor players.
Reverend
It's a different era, and I'm an old timer, but Vinnie was the most dominant player for Baylor I ever saw. Also, Teagle should be higher.
GoodOleBaylorLine
Never saw him play, but Don Heathington led Baylor to three SWC championships and two final fours.

I know it was a different era, but he had to have something going.
TenBears
Reverend said:

It's a different era, and I'm an old timer, but Vinnie was the most dominant player for Baylor I ever saw. Also, Teagle should be higher.

Totally agree on Teagle. He was spectacular. Rest of the list seems spot on, except for Michael Williams omission. My fading memory recalls him as the only bright spot between Teagle and Drew's era.
setshot
Michael Williams would have been a star in any era. I liked Butler a lot, but Vinnie Johnson was consistently spectacular. Brian Skinner was arguably the best big man ever to wear our colors. GoodOleBaylorLine has it right: Don Heathington set the Bears on a great run in the aftermath of World War II. He was a veteran, mature in every way, and his teammate, Jackie Robinson, was not only an All American on that NCAA Championship Final team, but a few months later represented the USA on the gold medal Olympic basketball team. Somehow that does not get him on the list.

Darrel Hardy was an outstanding player for the Bears in the Sixties. He could dominate at both ends of the floor.
I think that he should be higher on that list.

Once more I have to beat the drums for the best player I saw at Baylor in the Fifties, and quite possibly in the Sixties, Jerry Mallett. He was 6'6" tall and possessed a great wingspan and the best wrists and hands I have ever seen. His rebound record is the one that Rico Gathers broke, but Mallett was also one of the great shooters in Baylor history and was an outstanding passer and defender. He was equally gifted in baseball. One scout said his arm was equal to that of Rocky Colavito, who was considered to have the finest throw from the outfield in the major leagues.
toughbear
Jackie Robinson All American
historian
What years did he play for Baylor?
GruntTuff
Someone who should get some consideration is William Chatmon. He played on the 69-70 and 70-71 teams that were pretty darned good, finishing second to TCU. He was a 6' 6" forward who played bigger than his size, and averaged about 22 points and 13 rebounds on some good Bill Menefee teams playing in the smoky and dusty and cold HOT Coliseum. The 70-71 team had Chatmon, Tom Stanton, Tom Friedman, Roy Thomas, Jerry Hopkins with six guys averaging more than 9.5 points per game in an era with no three point line.

Chatmon had a strange shot. The ball seemed to roll off of the right side of his hand....but he shot more than 50% from the field.

He was a very good player.
BluesBear
IvanBear said:

BluesBear said:

Bluter and Mitchell were great players but I don't see them as my #1 and #2.....

Not sure how you don't have Mitchell as the best point guard we've ever had. That dude was so dominate and it was vastly overlooked because Jared Butler had the ability flash and drop 30.

Mitchell is the first guy I'm taking on any roster I build out of all time Baylor players.
You seriously aren't suggesting your First player taken to build out your Baylor All-Time roster is DM.....

His career average. stats over 94 games was 9.0 points a game, 2.1 assists. less than 70% from the free throw line.... He was a great Defender but he also had good players around him as well....

That's a stretch....
Crawfoso1973
The ranking is for all-time greatest BAYLOR players. Throw the stats out the window with Davion and the rest of our natty team. They played at the highest level on the highest stage. Natty trumps all other factors especially what happened to their careers when they went on to the NBA. Teague, Davion, Butler, and Vital all belong in the top 7 or 8 BAYLOR players of all time.
historian
And Flagler shouldn't be far behind.

"Splash"
TWD 1974
historian said:

Some surprises here:

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-baylor-bears-basketball-players/ranker-ncaa-basketball

I will say these things are always somewhat subjective but I think it is mostly agreeable.
Not a lot of surprises to the list. Couple of old names I would nominate--
William Chatman was the key player on the best team from the Menefee era. Only 6-5, but could make the left side bank shot on anyone.
Red Owens was the star player on the first Baylor team to play for the National Championship. He played a few years in the NBA.

Some of the guys on the list did not finish their college career at Baylor. Just my opinion, don't think they belong on our all time list--with the exception of Matt Mayer who managed to win a NC while here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.