Coach Carroll Dawson dies at age 86

1,163 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by EatMoreSalmon
Osodecentx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Former Houston Rockets assistant coach and general manager Carroll Dawson has died at age 86, the team announced Monday.
The cause of his death was not disclosed.
Dawson, known as "CD," spent nearly three decades with the Rockets from 1980 to 2007, starting as an assistant coach under Del Harris and working with Bill Fitch, Don Chaney and Rudy Tomjanovich before transitioning to the front office in 1996. He remains the lone figure in franchise history to have served as an assistant during each of their four NBA Finals runs, most notably during the back-to-back championships in 1994 and 1995.
GoodOleBaylorLine
Played and coached at Baylor as well, for those that don't know
setshot
Dawson arrived in Waco as a junior college transfer, an undersized interior player. He was clever and played within his strengths, certainly an example of one of the fine basketball players that sort of gets lost when Baylor players of quality are discussed here. Carroll played with a guard named David Pierce, another junior college transfer, in his case from California. Pierce had one of the prettiest jump shots I have ever seen, so the two of them played the inside/outside game about as effectively as anyone in that era.

I did not know him well, but I enjoyed what little I knew of him. I recall Dave Campbell telling me that Kim Mulkey asked Dawson about his experience with Hakeem the Dream and what advice he could give her about how to use her new recruit, Britney Griner. According to Dave, Dawson replied simply, "Surround her with shooters." That was an obvious strategy, but not one that Kim followed, unfortunately-- at least in my view.

Carroll had a great sense of humor. I recall his comment to a Baylor group about his stepdaughter, who was a brilliant student. They had something in common, he said. Neither had ever made a "B."

Carroll may not have been on the Dean's list in his time at Baylor, but anyone who knew him could testify that he was steeped in the wisdom of his life's endeavor, and had a deep loyalty to those he worked for and worked with. He was an excellent representative of Baylor, though he would not have claimed to be.
RBW 67
I won two free tickets to a Rockets game back in the late 1980's because I knew of Dawson's Baylor background. While driving home and listening to a Houston sports radio station they offered two tickets to the first caller who could name the person in the Rockets organization who had played and coached at Baylor. I was arriving home when the question was asked so i ran in the house to the phone while my wife and young son looked on thinking something horrible had happened. I called in time to receive the nosebleed tickets, one with an obstructed view of one of the baskets in the Summit. My approximately 10 year old son and I enjoyed the experience..
John Galt

GruntTuff
Thank you so much for posting the program for Coach Dawson's funeral service. He lived an incredible life, and I was pleased to see that Tommy Bowman, Scott Drew and others with Baylor connections attended and spoke at the service.

In my Baylor years (1967-71) as an undergraduate and then three more in law school, I enjoyed watching the Bears who were led by coaches Menefee and Dawson. That's all they had.....two coaches. Dawson worked with the varsity and coached the freshman team.

They had ZERO in the way of facilities but produced good competitive teams.
EatMoreSalmon
Wow. Bradley Welch on the organ apparently for the service. Organist for the Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas. He also got his bachelors degree from Baylor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.