2018 and 2019 Rosters

6,649 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NoBSU
Grizz Air
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since weve had a lot of roster turnover, including some new incoming transfers, can someone give me the skinny on what the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 rosters will look like? Your expectation for playing time, player impact, how good/bad we will be at each position, etc? Thanks!
Osodecentx
I'd be happy to see next year's scholarship players listed.
Grizz Air
Osodecentx said:

Since no one had answered, here's my best stab at it. 10 (?) scholarship players:

Schollies:
Tristan Clark, F, soph
Tyson Jolly, G, soph
Mario Kegler, G, junior, transfer
Jake Lindsey, G, senior
King McClure, G, senior
Mark Vital, F, soph
Devonte Bandoo, G, soph(?), transfer
Matthew Mayer, F, frosh
Flo Thamba, C, frosh
Darius Allen, G, frosh

Non-schollies
Jonathan Davis, F, senior
Freddie Gillespie, F, senior

We will likely be one of the smallest/shortest teams in all of college bball, bringing us back to the Aaron Bruce/Henry Dugat/Curtis Jerrells days, which, of course, has its advantages and disadvantages. One of the biggest advantages is when you can play 8 guards you can run the other team up and down the court all day and hopefully tire out the other team's slow big men. But you gotta score. "In guards we trust."

Anybody have any input on what the lineup/minutes distribution may look like?

With the slight decline in recruiting (esp big men), one has to wonder if our football scandal had anything to do with steering some recruits away. Mayer is a heck of a player though and he will definitely be worth his weight in gold. Green and gold, that is.
EasyE
Grizz Air said:

Osodecentx said:

Since no one had answered, here's my best stab at it. 10 (?) scholarship players:

Schollies:
Tristan Clark, F, soph
Tyson Jolly, G, soph
Jake Lindsey, G, senior
King McClure, G, senior
Mark Vital, F, soph
Matthew Mayer, F, frosh
Flo Thamba, C, frosh
Darius Allen, G, frosh

Non-schollies

We will likely be one of the smallest/shortest teams in all of college bball, bringing us back to the Aaron Bruce/Henry Dugat/Curtis Jerrells days, which, of course, has its advantages and disadvantages. One of the biggest advantages is when you can play 8 guards you can run the other team up and down the court all day and hopefully tire out the other team's slow big men. But you gotta score. "In guards we trust."

With the slight decline in recruiting (esp big men), one has to wonder if our football scandal had anything to do with steering some recruits away. Mayer is a heck of a player though and he will definitely be worth his weight in gold. Green and gold, that is.

Jolly transferred.
Darius Allen is juco, I think with 3 years of eligibility.
fubar
Didn't Tyson Jolly transfer to a juco?
NoBSU
Tristan Clark, PF, soph
Mario Kegler, WG, junior, transfer
Jake Lindsey, PG, senior
King McClure, G, senior
Mark Vital, SF, soph
Devonte Bandoo, SG, juco transfer
Matthew Mayer, SF, frosh
Flo Thamba, C, frosh
Darius Allen, SG, juco, two to play

Mitchell, sits, transfer two to play
Teague, sits, transfer three to play

Non-schollies
Moffat

?Mason, PG, grad transfer one to play
????, ???, sits?, transfer, ? to play
Osodecentx
Thanks for the lists
Grizz Air
So I'm guesing starting lineup may be McClure, Lindsey, Clark, Vital, and possibly one of the transfer guards? Are we gonna go with 3 guards a la the early Scott Drew/Aaron Bruce days? Either way it would be a short lineup, height wise. Itd be nice to see Mayer or Thamba be Big 12 ready as true freshmen.
NoBSU
Grizz Air said:

So I'm guesing starting lineup may be McClure, Lindsey, Clark, Vital, and possibly one of the transfer guards? Are we gonna go with 3 guards a la the early Scott Drew/Aaron Bruce days? Either way it would be a short lineup, height wise. Itd be nice to see Mayer or Thamba be Big 12 ready as true freshmen.
I don't care who starts. I do care who gets the most playing time. We are in trouble if more than two of your four mentioned are in our top five four minutes.
Grizz Air
Wait, i just saw kegler is a 6'7" elite guard. Perhaps he will start and get significant minutes.
Grizz Air
NoBSU said:

Grizz Air said:

I don't care who atarts. I do care who gets the most playing time. We are in trouble if more than two of your four mentioned are in our top five four minutes.

So who do you hope gets the most minutes and why?
NoBSU
Grizz Air said:

Wait, i just saw kegler is a 6'7" elite guard. Perhaps he will start and get significant minutes.
yes. And if we are going 4 out as Ashley says, then we should see the transfer guards as you mentioned including Mason starting.
NoBSU
Grizz Air said:

NoBSU said:

Grizz Air said:

I don't care who atarts. I do care who gets the most playing time. We are in trouble if more than two of your four mentioned are in our top five four minutes.

I love Vital but in a 4 out he needs an outside shot.

I am a combo guy. Not meaning combo guards but rather substitution patterns as to who is playing together. We have to have some shooters on the court to make a perimeter focused offense work. I looked at a few shot charts from Kegler while at Miss State. Handful of threes and right at the rim were his main spots. A few midrange.

Mason can hit threes.

What I am mainly saying is that it is hard to have Jake and Vital on the court together in a four out. Add a cold McClure to that list. Minutes are up for grabs IMO to guards that can hit outside shots.
Schmidty
Starters:
Mason sr.
Mcclure sr.
Kegler so.
Vital so.
Clark so.

Bench:
Lindsey sr.
Bandoo jr.
Allen so.
Gillepsie jr.
Thamba fr.

Top 5 in minutes most likely:
Kegler
Mason
Clark
Vital
Lindsey
NoBSU
Schmidty said:

Starters:
Mason sr.
Mcclure sr.
Kegler so.
Vital so.
Clark so.

Bench:
Lindsey sr.
Bandoo jr.
Allen so.
Gillepsie jr.
Thamba fr.

Kegler
Mason
Clark
Vital
Lindsey
That's 5th or 6th in conference unless two of your top 5 minute players grow a consistent three point shot this summer.
Grizz Air
Also, for the record, Gillespie is now a scholarship player.
BaylorOkie
NoBSU said:

Grizz Air said:

NoBSU said:

Grizz Air said:

I love Vital but in a 4 out he needs an outside shot.

I am a combo guy. Not meaning combo guards but rather substitution patterns as to who is playing together. We have to have some shooters on the court to make a perimeter focused offense work. I looked at a few shot charts from Kegler while at Miss State. Handful of threes and right at the rim were his main spots. A few midrange.

Mason can hit threes.

What I am mainly saying is that it is hard to have Jake and Vital on the court together in a four out. Add a cold McClure to that list. Minutes are up for grabs IMO to guards that can hit outside shots.
The bolded text can't be overstated. The soft non-con games will be critical to get some rotations figured out, but like it so often does, it will likely take 1/4 of the conference schedule, too. Our team needs to have as many shot makers as possible next year. Developing three strong shooters to pair with Clark could then allow Vital to come in and do the things we all love for him to do. But his shooting weaknesses have to be hidden.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
late to the party but just to clean up some classification issues, this is an up to date roster for 2018-19 of scholarship players.

https://sicem365.com/baylor-basketball/roster/2018

Seniors

Jake Lindsey
King McClure
Makai Mason

Juniors

Freddie Gillespie
Devonte Bandoo
Darius Allen

Sophomores

Mario Kegler
Mark Vital
Tristan Clark

Freshmen

Matthew Mayer
Flo Thamba

Transfers (sitting out)

Davion Mitchell (RS Freshman)
Mario Teague (RS Sophomore)

Redshirts meaning Mitchell will be a sophomore next year when he plays (19-20) and Teague will be a junior (19-20).
Schmidty
NoBSU said:

Schmidty said:

Starters:
Mason sr.
Mcclure sr.
Kegler so.
Vital so.
Clark so.

Bench:
Lindsey sr.
Bandoo jr.
Allen so.
Gillepsie jr.
Thamba fr.

Kegler
Mason
Clark
Vital
Lindsey
That's 5th or 6th in conference unless two of your top 5 minute players grow a consistent three point shot this summer.
Mason and Kegler are both solid shooters. Bandoo should help a lot when it comes to shooting, and hopefully King takes a step forward
NoBSU
Schmidty said:

NoBSU said:

Schmidty said:

Starters:
Mason sr.
Mcclure sr.
Kegler so.
Vital so.
Clark so.

Bench:
Lindsey sr.
Bandoo jr.
Allen so.
Gillepsie jr.
Thamba fr.

Kegler
Mason
Clark
Vital
Lindsey
Mason and Kegler are both solid shooters. Bandoo should help a lot when it comes to shooting, and hopefully King takes a step forward

Hopefully both King and Vital take a step forward with shooting this summer. Otherwise, it should affect their PT in the offensive change.
Schmidty
NoBSU said:

Schmidty said:

NoBSU said:

Schmidty said:

Starters:
Mason sr.
Mcclure sr.
Kegler so.
Vital so.
Clark so.

Bench:
Lindsey sr.
Bandoo jr.
Allen so.
Gillepsie jr.
Thamba fr.

Kegler
Mason
Clark
Vital
Lindsey

Hopefully both King and Vital take a step forward with shooting this summer. Otherwise, it should affect their PT in the offensive change.
I don't know if Vital will ever be a plus shooter, but if he could be average it would be great. I think his energy alone will get him plenty of minutes
RealLarryDon
We better be incredibly accurate shooting the ball and incredibly efficient because that is a roster that will get out rebounded by every team in the Big 12.
NoBSU
RealLarryDon said:

We better be incredibly accurate shooting the ball and incredibly efficient because that is a roster that will get out rebounded by every team in the Big 12.
High effort and a knack for the ball will help some but yes there isn't much bulk to move people in the paint.

That was my point about the need for shooters and limiting the time of those who can't shoot. If players spread on the perimeter, teams now would slack off Vital and Jake (maybe even King). Clog driving lanes, be in better position for rebounds, double, etc. Drew can come up with short term ways to hide our flaws but the good Big 12 coaches will figure those out quickly. We have the summer to work to make them defend us honest.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
RealLarryDon said:

why do say that? Kegler, Clark and Vital are all good rebounders. Lindsey as well.
rudylaw
Schmidty said:

NoBSU said:

Schmidty said:

Starters:
Mason sr.
Mcclure sr.
Kegler so.
Vital so.
Clark so.

Bench:
Lindsey sr.
Bandoo jr.
Allen so.
Gillepsie jr.
Thamba fr.

Kegler
Mason
Clark
Vital
Lindsey
hopefully King takes a step forward
Fool me three times...
NoBSU
Ashley Hodge said:

RealLarryDon said:

why do say that? Kegler, Clark and Vital are all good rebounders. Lindsey as well.
Effort and nose for the ball get you so far. Bigger guards help and four out should produce longer rebounds.

But I agree with Larry Don on the defensive rebounding side. No, I don't want to talk wing span with you LOL. Not enough muscle. Don't you think we will need to make it up with steals/forced turnovers?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
NoBSU said:

Ashley Hodge said:

RealLarryDon said:

Effort and nose for the ball get you so far. Bigger guards help and four out should produce longer rebounds.

But I agree with Larry Don on the defensive rebounding side. No, I don't want to talk wing span with you LOL. Not enough muscle. Don't you think we will need to make it up with steals/forced turnovers?
our defensive rebounding has never been good even when we had Rico Gathers and were #1 in the nation in offensive rebounding efficiency.

Scott Drew teams have made remarkable strides on the defensive end (usually because teams shoot a low percentage from the field against us and we don't send teams to the foul line). But I really don't understand why even if we play zone, we can't be good at either defensive rebounding or creating havoc with deflections/steals. We seem to suck at both most years.

I think if we get good at one of those two areas, we will take the next step defensively.

From an offensive rebounding standpoint... death, taxes and Scott Drew teams are going to be terrific on the offensive glass.

KenPom efficiency numbers since 2010:

2010: #21
2011: 37
2012: 16
2013: 110 (aberration)
2014: 3
2015: 1
2016: 4
2017: 3
2018: 9

I think with Mark Vital, Tristan Clark and Mario Kegler that trend will continue on the offensive end. I have my concerns about defensive rebounding but at least Clark has the body to block out guys like Azubuike and Konate.

I've seen the strength numbers. The two guys I would worry about on the rebounding end are Makai Mason and Matthew Mayer. I think everyone else will be fine.
Mitch Blood Green
Grizz Air said:

Osodecentx said:

Schollies:
Tristan Clark, F, soph
Tyson Jolly, G, soph
Jake Lindsey, G, senior
King McClure, G, senior
Mark Vital, F, soph
Matthew Mayer, F, frosh
Flo Thamba, C, frosh
Darius Allen, G, frosh

Non-schollies

I read Lindsey is not on scholarship next year. Have it up for the team.
Grizz Air
tommie said:

Grizz Air said:

Osodecentx said:

Schollies:
Tristan Clark, F, soph
Tyson Jolly, G, soph
Jake Lindsey, G, senior
King McClure, G, senior
Mark Vital, F, soph
Matthew Mayer, F, frosh
Flo Thamba, C, frosh
Darius Allen, G, frosh

Non-schollies

I read Lindsey is not on scholarship next year. Have it up for the team.

If so, that's really cool.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Jake was willing to give up his scholarship to make Baylor better. He wanted Freddie to be on scholarship. Hardest worker on the team and deserved it. Freddie had some options to be on ship elsewhere.

And Baylor was trying to get Ikey Obiagu as well. The 7 footer at Florida St who was transferring. Ikey ended up at Seton Hall so the need for an extra scholarship disappeared and Jake is on scholarship.

But it certainly gives you a glimpse into the character and unselfish leadership that Jake has. He's going to be taking seminary classes when he graduates in August. Great unselfish leader in the mold of Ish Wainright.
HoustonBear15
Obim Okeke has made the full switch from football to basketball and will be on the roster again as a guard.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
HoustonBear15 said:

Obim Okeke has made the full switch from football to basketball and will be on the roster again as a guard.
walk on though. Jackson Moffatt also a walk on.
Grizz Air
Okay, so, I am probably wrong on a few guys but...

Schollies:
Tristan Clark, F, soph
Mario Kegler, G/F, junior, transfer
King McClure, G, senior
Mark Vital, G/mostly F, soph
Devonte Bandoo, G, junior, transfer
Matthew Mayer, F, frosh
Flo Thamba, C, frosh
Darius Allen, G, frosh
MaCio Teague, G, junior
Freddie Gillespie, F, junior
Jared Butler, G, frosh???
Makai Mason, G, senior

Non-schollies
Obim Okeke, G, soph
Jackson Moffat, G/F, frosh
Davion Mitchell, G, soph

I am bummed we are missing Lindsey. What will our guard situation be? Its my understanding that Makai Mason will likely start at PG?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Jake is on walk on status. Davion Mitchell is definitely on scholarship. May be the best player on campus. Top 3-4 for sure.

Makai Mason and Jared Butler will play the point this year. MaCio Teague and Davion Mitchell sit this year and ready to roll next year.
Cove Dawg
Appears as though this is going to be a very long year. No combination of those personnel are top half of Big 12 talent. Come on Lady Bears!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.