2018 and 2019 Rosters

6,650 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NoBSU
NoBSU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cove Dawg said:

Appears as though this is going to be a very long year. No combination of those personnel are top half of Big 12 talent. Come on Lady Bears!
Actually Kegler, Mason, and Clark are. Vital is a very good player but not for a perimeter focus. I looked up a half dozen of Kegler ' s games and he hits threes but makes a lot by the rim. So I disagree that one player won't rise up this fall and show they developed to where our top 5 are top of Big 12. The question to me is back-ups at point and C/PF. We are very solid at the 3 & 4. Very good at PG if mason is heslthy. I am not ready to say Clark is a 5 for all game all weeks unless he put down a ton of Wheaties in the off-season. So I count him as a 4 like Kevin Rogers was a 4 that often moved to 5.

Believe what you want but I will wait to see what the juco SGs look like before throwing in the towel.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
NoBSU said:

Cove Dawg said:

Appears as though this is going to be a very long year. No combination of those personnel are top half of Big 12 talent. Come on Lady Bears!
Actually Kegler, Mason, and Clark are. Vital is a very good player but not for a perimeter focus. I looked up a half dozen of Kegler ' s games and he hits threes but makes a lot by the rim. So I disagree that one player won't rise up this fall and show they developed to where our top 5 are top of Big 12. The question to me is back-ups at point and C/PF. We are very solid at the 3 & 4. Very good at PG if mason is heslthy. I am not ready to say Clark is a 5 for all game all weeks unless he put down a ton of Wheaties in the off-season. So I count him as a 4 like Kevin Rogers was a 4 that often moved to 5.

Believe what you want but I will wait to see what the juco SGs look like before throwing in the towel.
I had an interview up with Tweety Carter. He was optimistic about this team. Said their work ethic reminded him of the 2010 team. He's in Waco so he has spent a lot of time around them.

I think we will be better than last year. A lot more versatility. But a lot hinges on Mason.
willyric
vital is gonna make another nice jump.
I expect him to earn honorable mention or possibly even better this year.

8 and 7 to go along with a couple of ast and steal and half a game. Hoping he has put in dirty work on his form from the shoelaces up.
NoBSU
willyric said:

vital is gonna make another nice jump.
I expect him to earn honorable mention or possibly even better this year.

8 and 7 to go along with a couple of ast and steal and half a game. Hoping he has put in dirty work on his form from the shoelaces up.

I won't rule it out. Players have all the things needed to develop especially at Baylor. Don't they have 24/7 access to the practice facility? You have tons of staff. Video equipment to track your form. Plenty of examples of guys that put the hundreds and even thousands of shots in a days or week to improve.

Heck just watch a couple of Teddy Dupay youtubes, get your reps in, and start charting your shots in a notebook. Good indoor gym access is so key.

Acy added a midrange shot and does well from three now. It can happen.
bularry
I'm pretty optimistic about this years team, but agree we need Mason and Kegler to both be really good
NoBSU
bularry said:

I'm pretty optimistic about this years team, but agree we need Mason and Kegler to both be really good
We are loaded at the SF. Clark is a Forward playing center but he and his backup are closer to Mason's size. That's small for us. Thamba is young.

Thin at PG and that is anchored by a graduate transfer who hasn't played for two years due to injury.

Those are big questions on our roster and I haven't even touched on our deep roster at SG but unknown in production.

Again we are solid to elite at forward.
bularry
I think backcourt is a question mark, but I like Masons game. Hope King is a bit more consistent. We really need to reduce turnovers
NoBSU
I liked Mason's game three years ago too. Combo guards as back-ups who are also new to the program. Unknown quantities at the 2. Great options at the W/SF except if we are going back to four out, perimeter offense. Probably going smaller at the 4 as our natural PF is playing C. I don't think we are moving back to a perimeter focus unless Vital improved his shooting. So same game plan just playing smaller.

Maybe we are going to spread the floor and attack constantly off the dribble. We can't hold the ball.

I am fine with GGGFF but we have to get out more in transition offense and apply more full court pressure D. We play more man D now so that is good. You can cover a spot on the court with 80% of the teams. We will be covering two maybe three. It isn't a horrible thing to expect a down year. The roster looks great for 2019-20 especially if we develop Thamba.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Need Mason, Kegler and Clark healthy. Those are the 3 potential difference makers. Early returns on Butler are glowing. He's going to help a lot. Landry Shamet type player. King has to have a big year- 10 to 12 ppg.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Cove Dawg said:

Way to give up before the season even starts! Need more like you on our side.
NoBSU
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Cove Dawg said:

Way to give up before the season even starts! Need more like you on our side.
Personally, I am setting expectations low for this team and I hope other fans do as well. Lots of things have to gel in order for this team to be top half of Big 12. The main reason is that we are going to have to tweak our style of play for the proposed starting five. Then key first off the bench may not have the skills that we need.
setshot
NoBS, I cannot disagree with your assessment at this conjectural point. We both love BU basketball and hope for the best. Ashley is pretty hard-headed in his overview of the team, and he has more often than not been proven right. I am awaiting his comprehensive preseason survey with considerable interest. In the meantime, I am sitting next to you on this.

In mid-to-late October I expect to see the Bears workout and scrimmage. At that time I hope that my ignorance will be diluted a bit and I can take on the mantle of ill-considered punditry. My concern, and I suspect that it is the primary focus of the apprehensions on this board, is that the front line, both in quality and in quantity, is questionable, and the questions raised by that suspicion are the ones I hope to allay sometime in October.

College basketball is usually dominated by guard and wing play, and Baylor is well fortified there, especially for the future. If we could secure the commitment of at least one, preferably two, interior players of quality, our prospects would be very bright, indeed. Our current perimeter strength is encouraging, but some of it is not yet proven, so holding off a bit on gilded optimism would be wise.

But this is a transition year, and questions must be addressed. I will let you know what my eyes tell me, NoBS. But you are better off listening to Ashley, Larry Gatewood, and other guests who weigh in here, as they will likely know more about this squad than those of us who are casual observers. The games in November will likely tell us most of what we need to know about our prospects.
NoBSU
setshot said:

NoBS, I cannot disagree with your assessment at this conjectural point. We both love BU basketball and hope for the best. Ashley is pretty hard-headed in his overview of the team, and he has more often than not been proven right. I am awaiting his comprehensive preseason survey with considerable interest. In the meantime, I am sitting next to you on this.

In mid-to-late October I expect to see the Bears workout and scrimmage. At that time I hope that my ignorance will be diluted a bit and I can take on the mantle of ill-considered punditry. My concern, and I suspect that it is the primary focus of the apprehensions on this board, is that the front line, both in quality and in quantity, is questionable, and the questions raised by that suspicion are the ones I hope to allay sometime in October.

College basketball is usually dominated by guard and wing play, and Baylor is well fortified there, especially for the future. If we could secure the commitment of at least one, preferably two, interior players of quality, our prospects would be very bright, indeed. Our current perimeter strength is encouraging, but some of it is not yet proven, so holding off a bit on gilded optimism would be wise.

But this is a transition year, and questions must be addressed. I will let you know what my eyes tell me, NoBS. But you are better off listening to Ashley, Larry Gatewood, and other guests who weigh in here, as they will likely know more about this squad than those of us who are casual observers. The games in November will likely tell us most of what we need to know about our prospects.
Ashley's heart is in the right place....

I would prefer to play Clark at the 4, so we need a back to the basket/rim protector 5 to step up. Maybe one does.

I love Vital. He is my kind of player. But we need an outside shot from his spot to make our "patches" work.

We need a SG to emerge.

It is a lot of holes even if Mason is healthy the whole season. The great news is that if we settle the Center question, then we look scary good next year.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.