Big 12 mollifying the Midwestern schools with Kansas City

7,238 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Banned BarleyMcDougal
Banned BarleyMcDougal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This has got to stop. Can't believe they extended through '24. Most Texans can't make a midweek game in freakin' Missouri. And I don't wanna go to KC anyway. That city is a dump with a high crime rate. Tired of caving to these northern dopes. I'd gladly move around the Big 12 football championship to do the same for basketball. I'd rather give Dallas or OKC the revenue anyway.

Go ahead and just pin this up top until '22 when those front office idiots extend the contract again.
Aliceinbubbleland
KC ain't no dump. The only reason it is there is because fans in Texas don't give a dump about basketball, sadly.
Remember when the Hogs were in the conference? They had 10 times the fans at the championship games in Dallas as any other team from Texas not named UT. Then they only outnumbered the UT fans about 6-1.

Banned BarleyMcDougal
Aliceinbubbleland said:

KC ain't no dump. The only reason it is there is because fans in Texas don't give a dump about basketball, sadly.
Remember when the Hogs were in the conference? They had 10 times the fans at the championship games in Dallas as any other team from Texas not named UT. Then they only outnumbered the UT fans about 6-1.
GREAT! THEY TRAVEL! FANTASTIC!

And KC is a turdhole. You're outta your freaking mind if you think anything else. The area around the arena is nice. That city sucks.
Stefano DiMera
McDougall...are you on a no fly list? Cause you're the complainingist grouchy ass mofo on these here boards.
StatMan
The Big XII Conference wants to make $ in it's MBB Tournament, and history shows Kansas City draws more fans than either Dallas or Oklahoma City. Like it or not, Kansas City is where the Big XII MBB Tournament will be played now and in the future.
vanillabryce
We play our tourney in a state that has zero B12 teams.

Banned BarleyMcDougal
Stefano DiMera said:

McDougall...are you on a no fly list? Cause you're the complainingist grouchy ass mofo on these here boards.
I don't like seeing Baylor get screwed over and I don't like Baylor turning the other cheek in regard to business. There's so little pushback from the school. UT runs the conference because of money and cheats in a variety of ways. The conference lets OU cheat in a variety of ways. The conference lets KU cheat in a variety of ways. The conference takes the money owed to us and gives it to these other cheating schools.

I get that it's sports. I get that it's a dirty business. But if our fanbase/alumni/leadership doesn't develop a "mad as hell and not taking it anymore approach", it's never going to end.

I absolutely love pointing out this hypocrisy in college sports, particularly in our own conference. I wish more people would be on my side in doing this. I wish Waco/Baylor had a little shadow league like OU/UT that dug up dirt on other schools. Fight fire with fire, etc.

So yeah. I guess I'm a lil pissed about all of this.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
StatMan said:

The Big XII Conference wants to make $ in it's MBB Tournament, and history shows Kansas City draws more fans than either Dallas or Oklahoma City. Like it or not, Kansas City is where the Big XII MBB Tournament will be played now and in the future.
The amount of money the tournament makes is pittance compared to tv contracts. It's been well-acknowledged that the only reason it's in KC is to appease the northern schools once they agreed that the Big 12 fball championship would be played in Dallas in perpetuity.
Jack Hilton
And yet outdraws the OKC & Dallas venues when the conference held the tourneys there. Given Baylors embarrassing home attendance, you should understand how badly a half full arena looks.
Jack Hilton
And yet outdraws the OKC & Dallas venues when the conference held the tourneys there. Given Baylor's embarrassing home attendance, you should understand how badly a half full arena looks.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Jack Hilton said:

And yet outdraws the OKC & Dallas venues when the conference held the tourneys there. Given Baylors embarrassing home attendance, you should understand how badly a half full arena looks.
Pft...because there's more to do in Texas than your BF Egypt of a state? It outdraws because you people have nothing else to do and you live relatively close. I mean, not too difficult to take a day off from distributing the manure 'round the farm...Jed.

But yeah, let's give all of our revenue to Kansas City, MO. Brilliant tactic that I'd expect from the midwestern schools who rank up there with Montana State in USNWR. What is Iowa St? Do y'all even crack the 200s?
Jack Hilton
Well, ISU is one of just three Big 12 schools in the prestigious AAU. Incidentally, the digital computer was invented at ISU. So yeah, good academics and great attendance for athletics. ISU & KU and to a lesser extent KSU make sure the Big 12 tourney is a full house. Just reality
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Jack Hilton said:

Well, ISU is one of just three Big 12 schools in the prestigious AAU. Incidentally, the digital computer was invented at ISU. So yeah, good academics and great attendance for athletics. ISU & KU and to a lesser extent KSU make sure the Big 12 tourney is a full house. Just reality
Yeah, so is KU...along with other powerhouse names in academia like University of Buffalo, UC Santa Barbara and..ooohhhh Stony Brook. I mean Nebraska was accepted and then kicked out. It literally means nothing other than you've carved out a research niche in splicing the genes of different corn varieties.

Prestigious is a relative term.
Stefano DiMera
You do realize everyone cheats.. including us..your rant about Danny Manning and his bottom feeder team is proof enough.
Stefano DiMera
You do realize everyone cheats.. including us..your rant about Danny Manning and his bottom feeder team is proof enough.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Stefano DiMera said:

Everyone might cheat. But we actually get punished while other programs skate. That's sort of my issue..with all that.

You get that right?
Jack Hilton
The Big 12 holds it's tourney in KC for the same reason both UT and Baylor are proposing new, radically smaller arenas: college basketball fans are scarce in Texas and Oklahoma. Your own AD accepts that reality. Why else would he believe a right sized gym for Baylor is smaller than even Northern Iowa's or Drake's?
Texasjeremy
The line that always gets used is that KC draws so much better than anywhere else (at least thats the bill of goods they sell the Big 12). Keep in mind its hard to judge considering it hasn't been anywhere else in a decade (and hasn't been in Texas since 2006), your basically comparing present day tournaments in Kansas City to tournaments in other places that were 10-15 years ago). Kansas City is just like most places, it depends on the year, I don't think any other location has really been given a fair chance (same can be said for the baseball tournament)

AVERAGE BIG 12 TOURNAMENT ATTENDANCE
19,100 - Kansas City (2000)
19,070 - Kansas City (1997)
18,999 - Kansas City (2014)
18,993 - Kansas City (2015)
18,987 - Kansas City (2016)
18,979 - Kansas City (2012)
18,961 - Kansas City (2017)
18,915 - Kansas City (2011)
18,900 - Kansas City (2010)
18,879 - Oklahoma City (2007)
18,876 - Kansas City (2008)
18,268 - Kansas City (2005)
18,238 - Dallas (2006)
18,137 - Kansas City (2013)
17,850 - Kansas City (2018)
17,767 - Kansas City (1999)
17,602 - Dallas (2004)
17,457 - Kansas City (2002)
15,800 - Dallas (2003)
15,769 - Oklahoma City (2009)
15,250 - Kansas City (2001)
14,867 - Kansas City (1998)
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Jack Hilton said:

The Big 12 holds it's tourney in KC for the same reason both UT and Baylor are proposing new, radically smaller arenas: college basketball fans are scarce in Texas and Oklahoma. Your own AD accepts that reality. Why else would he believe a right sized gym for Baylor is smaller than even Northern Iowa's or Drake's?
Attendance is down everywhere in college athletics. It's just prudent planning. Baylor has a smaller fanbase than anyone but TCU. Cameron Indoor has less seats than the Ferrell Center and that's practically the Mecca of college basketball. Why haven't they added?

As to the KC argument, wrong. It's been mentioned elsewhere many times that it was the Big 12's way of pacifying the "basketball" schools from attempting to move the football championship around. Jeremy just supplied you with all the data you need.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Texasjeremy said:

The line that always gets used is that KC draws so much better than anywhere else (at least thats the bill of goods they sell the Big 12). Keep in mind its hard to judge considering it hasn't been anywhere else in a decade (and hasn't been in Texas since 2006), your basically comparing present day tournaments in Kansas City to tournaments in other places that were 10-15 years ago). Kansas City is just like most places, it depends on the year, I don't think any other location has really been given a fair chance (same can be said for the baseball tournament)

AVERAGE BIG 12 TOURNAMENT ATTENDANCE
19,100 - Kansas City (2000)
19,070 - Kansas City (1997)
18,999 - Kansas City (2014)
18,993 - Kansas City (2015)
18,987 - Kansas City (2016)
18,979 - Kansas City (2012)
18,961 - Kansas City (2017)
18,915 - Kansas City (2011)
18,900 - Kansas City (2010)
18,879 - Oklahoma City (2007)
18,876 - Kansas City (2008)
18,268 - Kansas City (2005)
18,238 - Dallas (2006)
18,137 - Kansas City (2013)
17,850 - Kansas City (2018)
17,767 - Kansas City (1999)
17,602 - Dallas (2004)
17,457 - Kansas City (2002)
15,800 - Dallas (2003)
15,769 - Oklahoma City (2009)
15,250 - Kansas City (2001)
14,867 - Kansas City (1998)
Thanks. Statistics can be quite illuminating.
BaylorHistory
They make-up for it by having the football championship in Arlington every year now. Seems like a good solution to me.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Banned BarleyMcDougal
BaylorHistory said:

They make-up for it by having the football championship in Arlington every year now. Seems like a good solution to me.
Not really. Everybody plays in the Big 12 Tourney. It's not the Big East or ACC when it comes to the gate, but the idea that it shouldn't rotate to appease 3 or 4 schools is nuts. There simply isn't a good solution for football either. Arrowhead? Houston...but that's in Texas. I think Big 12 reps mentioned New Orleans, but they couldn't come to a full agreement. However, Dallas and OKC are viable locations for a basketball tournament.
possible12
vanillabryce said:

pretty sure several good leagues do that. and several bad leagues.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
possible12 said:

vanillabryce said:

Name three.
whitetrash
BarleyMcDougal said:

possible12 said:

vanillabryce said:

Name three.

Here's two:
Pac12 in Las Vegas NV right now
B1G in Washington DC in 2016 and NYC in 2018.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
whitetrash said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

possible12 said:

vanillabryce said:

Name three.

Here's two:
Pac12 in Las Vegas NV right now
B1G in Washington DC in 2016 and NYC in 2018.
Cool. Do they rotate locations? Also, is Nevada the home to a former Pac 12 member that jumped ship?
RiskyBizz Bear
With Maryland and Rutgers now in B1G, DC and NYC make (a little) sense.
whitetrash
FWIW, nobody south of I-70 is left in the tournament.
BaylorOkie
Jack Hilton said:

Strange that we didn't have to read your know-it-all posts on 1/8 or 2/19.
Jack Hilton
Don't know why that would be strange as there wasn't any whining then about the Big 12 tourney location which is what this thread is about.
Baylor3216
BarleyMcDougal said:

This has got to stop. Can't believe they extended through '24. Most Texans can't make a midweek game in freakin' Missouri. And I don't wanna go to KC anyway. That city is a dump with a high crime rate. Tired of caving to these northern dopes. I'd gladly move around the Big 12 football championship to do the same for basketball. I'd rather give Dallas or OKC the revenue anyway.

Go ahead and just pin this up top until '22 when those front office idiots extend the contract again.

If there's a big 12 tournament post 2024 anywhere we'll be lucky
Media Bear
Jack Hilton said:

I hear that the city of Ames has some damned good water too ...
Jack Hilton
Media Bear said:

Jack Hilton said:

I hear that the city of Ames has some damned good water too ...
Ridiculous song, but meanwhile KC rightly remains the home of the Big 12 tourney and Baylor continues to plan it's mid-major sized gym. Congrats on one thing though, after spending millions of dollars Baylor will have the smallest arena in the P5.
Texasjeremy
AVERAGE PER GAME ATTENDANCE FOR THE BIG 12 BASEBALL TOURNAMENT

10,728 - Arlington (2002)
10,283 - Oklahoma City (1998)
9,949 - Oklahoma City (1999)
9,664 - Arlington (2004)
9,034 - Oklahoma City (2000)
8,081 - Oklahoma City (2001)
6,540 - Oklahoma City (2007)
6,256 - Oklahoma City (2008)
5,810 - Oklahoma City (2006)
5,775 - Oklahoma City (2003)
5,578 - Oklahoma City (2009)
5,317 - Oklahoma City (2005)
5,252 - Oklahoma City (2010)
5,158 - Oklahoma City (1997)
4,987 - Oklahoma City (2014)
4,923 - Oklahoma City (2017)
4,848 - Oklahoma City (2018)
4,435 - Tulsa (2015)
4,397 - Oklahoma City (2016)
4,374 - Oklahoma City (2012)
4,373 - Oklahoma City (2013)
4,219 - Oklahoma City (2011)
BaylorOkie
Jack Hilton said:

Don't know why that would be strange

Stop being obtuse, troll.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.