Baylor's Scott Drew Was Bothered by Coaching Criticism So He Did Something About It

5,023 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
https://watchstadium.com/news/baylors-scott-drew-was-bothered-by-coaching-criticism-so-he-did-something-about-it-11-26-2019/

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. Scott Drew heard the whispers. Sometimes it would originate from fans, but more often it would be writers and TV pundits. It hurt the most, though, from his peers, spoken by those in the coaching industry, especially when they were going head-to-head against Baylor in recruiting battles.
He can't coach.
There aren't three words that hit someone in the coaching profession harder.
"I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me," Drew said. "We're all human."
Maybe it was because he wasn't doing enough with the highly-rated guys he plucked in successive years: Perry Jones (2010), Quincy Miller (2011), and Isaiah Austin (2012). Austin finished third in the country coming out of high school, Miller fifth and Jones was eighth in the consensus rankings.
Or maybe it was because they were envious he was at Baylor, beating them for heralded players.
"If you don't have good recruits, you can't recruit," Drew said. "If you have good recruits and don't win enough, you can't coach."
"If you're doing well, there's always going to be noise," added his brother, former Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew. "He was such an elite recruiter than it overshadowed his coaching. He brought in such extreme talent to Baylor, so they couldn't question that. They just went down the checklist and eventually got down to coaching."
But those days are long gone.
Now Drew has put Baylor in select company as one of just six Power Five programs in the country to win at least 18 games in each of the last 12 seasons.
Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Michigan State and Baylor.
Five Hall of Famers and Scott Drew.
This is a guy who has taken Baylor from the absolute graveyard after one of the worst scandals in the history of college sports, stemming from Carlton Dotson's murder of teammate Patrick Dennehy. There were severe sanctions: Baylor wasn't even allowed to play non-conference games Drew's third season in Waco.
Drew led Baylor to the NCAA tourney in his fifth season back in 2007-08, advancing to the Elite Eight in both 2010 and '12. But despite signing elite recruits in Jones and Austin, Drew was unable to get Baylor to the tournament in either player's freshman season 2011 and '13, respectively earning NIT bids each year.
That's when he chatter began.
"Of course it affected me," Drew said. "We all want to be praised and not criticized."
The coaching community no longer sticks its nose up at Drew. Coaches don't accuse him of cheating nowadays after he beats them for a player (the NCAA came in for a year and didn't find anything). Drew has earned universal respect from fans, the media and also from the coaching fraternity for what he's done in Waco.
Baylor has the second-best winning percentage among Big 12 teams over the past decade behind only Kansas. Since 2012, Drew is 2-1 against Kentucky's John Calipari, 2-1 against Oregon's Dana Altman and won his lone matchups against Arizona's Sean Miller and Michigan State's Tom Izzo.
"Scott's teams have been very consistent and difficult to prepare for," Kansas coach Bill Self told me. "It's one of our game's best coaching jobs to do what he did, and take it from where it was when he inherited it to where it's now been for years."
Eight NCAA tournaments in the last dozen years, and the 2019-20 team just might be his best overall group. The Bears just reeled off three victories in Myrtle Beach this past week, including a resume win over a Villanova program that has won two national titles in the last four years. They did it with forward Tristan Clark, Baylor's best player a year ago at this time, limited to 20 minutes per game while he still recovers from a knee injury.
"They are really good," 'Nova coach Jay Wright said after the loss. "It wasn't that we were bad; they were and are just really good."
This team is different. It's built on tough, physical and athletic guards like Jared Butler, MaCio Teague and Davion Mitchell, who can get to the basket and also make shots from the perimeter. Drew no longer plays zone defense as has been the case for the last five or six seasons because he has guys who can defend at a high level.
"That was the difference in the game," Wright said. "They guarded down the stretch."
No one on the current team cracked the top 50 coming out of high school, and most weren't ranked at all. In fact, Drew hasn't nabbed a top-50 player since Austin landed in Waco back in 2012. In that same span, John Calipari has brought in 34 players that were ranked in the top 50.
Drew had been long regarded as a recruiter who couldn't coach, and that was used against him in the industry. That's changed now, especially after watching Baylor develop anonymous guys like Taurean Prince and Royce O'Neal into NBA players.
"In recruiting, everybody's going to use whatever they can to get a player," Drew said.
And that's when it hurt the most.
"You know when you care?" said Wright, who received his share of criticism prior to winning his first national title. "When you have to fight it in recruiting. That's when it really matters."
"Scott's a really good coach, but we all heard it and we read it," he added. "But ask anyone in the Big 12 if he can coach and they'll tell you how good of a coach he is."
Drew doesn't worry about the critics as much anymore. He'll turn 50 next year and is in his 17th season as the head coach in Waco. The noise has settled down and virtually no one questions whether he can coach these days.
But there's still one item missing from his resume: a Final Four appearance.
"I'm more focused on what it would do for our program and what it would mean to our past and present players," Drew said. "On a big picture, it would help take Baylor to the next level perception-wise."
And it would also provide further validation that Scott Drew can coach.
historian
I was just getting ready to post this gem and noticed you beat me to it--again!

Thanks for posting.
RegentCoverup
Scott is a hell of a good guy.

He went above and beyond to celebrate the birthday of a kid in his summer camp that had lost his father. That's called class. Anyone that wants to trash him needs to make sure they say it without me in the room.. ive got no problem confronting someone that wants to question Drew, he has earned my respect.

And by the way, What happened to John Rohde? Guessing he couldn't handle it.

Most coaches don't even attend their camps. Much less attempt to work with kids in that age bracket.
vanillabryce
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Scott is a hell of a good guy.

He went above and beyond to celebrate the birthday of a kid in his summer camp that had lost his father. That's called class. Anyone that wants to trash him needs to make sure they say it without me in the room.. ive got no problem confronting someone that wants to question Drew, he has earned my respect.

And by the way, What happened to John Rohde? Guessing he couldn't handle it.

Most coaches don't even attend their camps. Much less attempt to influence their lives,

John Rhode is an arrogant *****. He's now selling real estate. Well, I don't know if he's actually selling any.
Oldbear83
Everything about Scott Drew is top quality.

He's smart, hard-working, honest and humble. I sincerely believe it was an act of God that he came to Baylor, a blessing we did not deserve but sorely needed and gratefully appreciate.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
historian
"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you, do all to the glory of God."

I Corinthians 10:31
DanaDane
Who is John Rohde?
Oldbear83
DanaDane said:

Who is John Rohde?
Exactly.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BearTruth
Most of it originates from Bozos on this site. Also, for the love of God... can some of you geniuses keep your "sky is falling" comments to yourself until the end of games? 90% of the time, the guys right the ship but some of you are ******ing & wanting to fired Drew & burn down the program in the first half! the negativity gets really old. NOT just basketball critique and fan discussions.... thats not what I'm talking about. It's the knee jerk hysteria
RegentCoverup
Oldbear83 said:

DanaDane said:

Who is John Rohde?
Exactly.
Rohde wrote an article where he suggested Drew used note cards, because he didn't know how to coach.

John Wooden built an entire coaching and instruction manual summarized into 3x5 note cards. They included drills, details, and coaching tips that helped Wooden's UCLA teams became the premier NCAA team. Worth noting that both Drew and Wooden were raised in Indiana.

It would be kind to call it a cheap shot, I asked John if he'd like to repeat his statement for others, and he got lippy.

RegentCoverup
BearTruth said:

Most of it originates from Bozos on this site. Also, for the love of God... can some of you geniuses keep your "sky is falling" comments to yourself until the end of games? 90% of the time, the guys right the ship but some of you are ******ing & wanting to fired Drew & burn down the program in the first half! the negativity gets really old. NOT just basketball critique and fan discussions.... thats not what I'm talking about. It's the knee jerk hysteria

Rick Barnes was the source of some of it. And he was confronted about it as well. (Not by me)
GruntTuff
When they decide to retire, or sooner, both Mulkey and Drew need statutes. They both deserve it.
vanillabryce
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Oldbear83 said:

DanaDane said:

Who is John Rohde?
Exactly.
Rohde wrote an article where he suggested Drew used note cards, because he didn't know how to coach.

John Wooden built an entire coaching and instruction manual summarized into 3x5 note cards. They included drills, details, and coaching tips that helped Wooden's UCLA teams became the premier NCAA team. Worth noting that both Drew and Wooden were raised in Indiana.

It would be kind to call it a cheap shot, I asked John if he'd like to repeat his statement for others, and he got lippy.

Rohde was great for newspaper... not so great for radio since he couldn't talk that well with Bill Self's dick in his mouth
BearTruth
GruntTuff said:

When they decide to retire, or sooner, both Mulkey and Drew need statutes. They both deserve it.
Agree lets not hire the RG3 sculptor tho
TenBears
We have the best lineup of coaches in the country. Mulkey/Drew/Rhule. Once in a lifetime group.
historian
Not to mention Mulkey, Rodriguez & McGuyre.
MrGolfguy
Not to mention Moore, McGraw, Boland, & Jobson
historian
The list goes on.
RegentCoverup
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

BearTruth said:

Rick Barnes was the source of some of it. And he was confronted about it as well. (Not by me)
All in all, he is by far not the worst sportswriter. But I read that article and lost it. Emailed him, called him. Called his editor. It was an affront to the game. I don't care if people hate our coaches, but no excuse for a lack of research.

Aliceinbubbleland
When I get frustrated with Drew I don't understand why most of you who follow basketball a lot closer then I do get so bent out of shape. Every season is the same.

Pack the house and lose the biggest ones at home. Make a huge rush at the end of the season going into the Conference Championship tourney which we always lose. Those are facts.

Do I want him fired. Hell no. Do I wish he'd stop playing with projects and just recruit the hell outta non-projects. Yeah.

historian
Last year we had wins over Texas Tech, who played in the Finals, and we swept Iowa State in the regular season. A few years ago I had a chance to see the Jayhawks at the Ferrell Center for the first time and we won that one. We don't always lose the big home games. I've been to too many in which Baylor did win.
vanillabryce
Aliceinbubbleland said:

When I get frustrated with Drew I don't understand why most of you who follow basketball a lot closer then I do get so bent out of shape. Every season is the same.

Pack the house and lose the biggest ones at home. Make a huge rush at the end of the season going into the Conference Championship tourney which we always lose. Those are facts.

Do I want him fired. Hell no. Do I wish he'd stop playing with projects and just recruit the hell outta non-projects. Yeah.

What's a project? Acy? Prince? O'Neale? 3 star, 2 star, and a no star? All three playing in the NBA.

Deuce Bello was top 50, and turns out he really couldn't walk and chew gum.

I'm good with CSD's recruiting.

One of six programs with 18 plus wins in the last 12 years. Best B12 winning percentage outside of KU in the last decade. Those are facts.
boognish_bear
RegentCoverup
Bossi needs to attend more college games. Few teams are packing their gyms.
historian
I was at the Butler game last night and it was by no means full but there was a decent sized crowd for a weeknight with Finals pending. It's difficult for students to make it to games with the days and times some of them are scheduled. Just look at when the Arizona game was played.

Although one would think the citizens of Waco would support the team in larger numbers--especially WBB with multiple national titles and local kids playing on the team.
boognish_bear
On TV it looked and sounded like a great crowd on a finals night
historian
It was a good crowd but there were plenty of empty seats in the areas you don't see on TV. And we were loud, yelling for our team.
xiledinok
Rhode was a OU fan. I remember getting that toilet rag delivered.
Now, they will not cover that Boren raped 6 interns.
Also, the fact that Ou is the first school ever in the CFP to have both their President and Vice President accused of rape. Gay sex. OSU is the flagship Oklahoma State school.

Historian, how many fans?
Baylorbears111
historian said:

I was at the Butler game last night and it was by no means full but there was a decent sized crowd for a weeknight with Finals pending. It's difficult for students to make it to games with the days and times some of them are scheduled. Just look at when the Arizona game was played.

Although one would think the citizens of Waco would support the team in larger numbers--especially WBB with multiple national titles and local kids playing on the team.

Never bought the finals argument. I was dying for a study break by the time the game rolled around when I was in school. I think it is more just that the football team is doing excellently and basketball doesn't usually enter our student body consciousness until conference play.
historian
There are lots of reasons why people do not show. Baylor is a small school, it's finals week, the holiday are coming up, kids go out on dates who want to see a movie, etc., etc. It would be wonderful if every game was a sellout but that does not happen often.

Another factor to consider: Baylor is doing very well in multiple sports. It is impossible for anyone to support them all. For example, I have MBB season tickets but cannot go to all games. I missed Arizona because I was in Arlington watching the football team play in the Big 12 title game. People make choices and do what they can based upon their interest.

We had a good sized crowd last night, it just wasn't packed. At least there were not too many Butler fans, based upon their noise.
xiledinok
It's always been the same type crowds. I can remember Kansas selling out with Paul Pierce. I can also remember 500 fans in the stands. This was decades ago.
Chamberman
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Few teams in Texas and other states in the south where football is king regularly pack their arenas. You go to the midwest and the east, basketball arenas are packed every night they play.

It's not a Baylor thing it's a Texas thing.
RegentCoverup
Chamberman said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Few teams in Texas and other states in the south where football is king regularly pack their arenas. You go to the midwest and the east, basketball arenas are packed every night they play.

It's not a Baylor thing it's a Texas thing.
I would only say in the NE or DC area where it's cold and I think a lot of people just want to go to an event of ANY kind.

Let's face it, the weather is great in Texas right now, going to a gym isn't a great sell unless it's just dark.

But basketball numbers in the Big12 have never been what you'd call strong, it breaks even, the NBA franchises are about the same.
Aliceinbubbleland
Baylor does not have a fanatical fan base. We are probably average when compared to other schools in P5 conferences.

We have a lot of fanatical fans, just not thousands and thousands of them like you have at larger state universities with t shirt fans following.

Winning consistently will bring out the fans regardless of the sport. We have yet to win consistently in basketball. It's streaky.
historian
For those interested in the size of the Baylor crowd for the Butler game, here is a tweet with a short video of the student section which briefly pans to show more:

As you can see, there are lots of people on the lower levels but the upper levels are largely empty. I'd say it was pretty much like that for the full circle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.