New Commit - Dale Bonner - D2 Transfer

6,514 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BUCANDOIT82
DanaDane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IowaBear
Interesting, I'm assuming walk on? He can clearly score the rock and shoots at good clip
BUCANDOIT82
Probably means Butler has already told Drew is heading to the NBA and doesn't expect to return.
DanaDane
DanaDane
CTbruin
The highlights are very impressive.
DanaDane
DanaDane
DanaDane
DanaDane
Chamberman
I'll accept Drew & Co's evalation of Bonner and say "Sic 'em Dale!!!"
DanaDane
Appears to be a pretty darn good shooter both from the field and FT line.
Crawfoso1973
BUCANDOIT82 said:

Probably means Butler has already told Drew is heading to the NBA and doesn't expect to return.
That was a foregone conclusion, but also this might be insurance in case Mayer stays in the draft or someone else transfers. But can't assume he's just a depth piece either, Drew aways finds diamonds in the rough he might come in and take the Flagler role from last year.
DanaDane
Kid obviously transferred here because he has a dream of the NBA or pro ball in general. Although the immediate eligibility waiver is open, he may have already talked with the coaches and after looking at the successes of Freddie, Teague, Mitchell and Flagler relaizes that a redshirt year fits into that plan if it gives him a better chance of achieving his dream. Or, he might become a valuable role player on next year's team. You just never know in these situations.
BUCANDOIT82
Crawfoso1973 said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

That was a foregone conclusion, but also this might be insurance in case Mayer stays in the draft or someone else transfers. But can't assume he's just a depth piece either, Drew aways finds diamonds in the rough he might come in and take the Flagler role from last year.
This commits 12 scholarships to players not named Butler or Mayer. I expect Butler to announce next week after he graduates.
Crawfoso1973
DanaDane said:

Kid obviously transferred here because he has a dream of the NBA or pro ball in general. Although the immediate eligibility waiver is open, he may have already talked with the coaches and after looking at the successes of Freddie, Teague, Mitchell and Flagler relaizes that a redshirt year fits into that plan if it gives him a better chance of achieving his dream. Or might become a valuable role player on next year's team. You just never know in these situations.
He already redshirted his freshman year, I doubt he would want to again? But you never know.
DanaDane
Thanks. Didn't know that! Then hopefully he'll prove to be a Brady Heslip 3-point guy off the bench!
DanaDane
So we have:

Guards
Akinjo
Flagler
Cryer
Love
Bonner

Forwards
Mayer
Brown
Sochan
Turner

Center
Flo
JTT
Dainja (could be forward)
Loveday (could be forward)

IowaBear said:

Interesting, I'm assuming walk on? He can clearly score the rock and shoots at good clip
Definitely not a walk on. He averaged 21ppg, about 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 2.5 steals, and shot 43% from 3 last year as a sophomore. Similar numbers as a freshman.

He's a scholarship player who will fight for a starting role. Think Derrick White when he transferred from D2 to Colorado, except Bonner has 2 more years of eligibility.

He's a scholarship/rotation player and he completely deserves it. These are the kinds of pickups I love. I'm just not a fan of the 5-star one-and-done types. It doesn't work at Baylor. They have a system in place that's most efficient when guys are experienced and committed long term.

It's nice getting one 5-star recruit, but I honestly hope it's not a trend. I'd much rather be known for grabbing top young mid-major, low-major and D2 players instead.
IowaBear
He's not going to start..... are you joking? Yes his numbers are GREAT. They're also against D2 players. He's got a ton of competition to get any minutes let alone start
IowaBear said:

He's not going to start..... are you joking? Yes his numbers are GREAT. They're also against D2 players. He's got a ton of competition to get any minutes let alone start
You don't think these numbers are good enough to contend for a starting job? Even at a D2 school?

IowaBear
No I don't, not when you have Akinjo, Cryer, Flagler as your 3 primary guards and a very very talented Love. Will he play at least early on? Heck yes. But he's not starting, not playing big minutes take it to the bank.
Crawfoso1973
IowaBear said:

I think he could contend for the Flagler role off the bench from last season, or the Bandoo role from the year previous.
Crawfoso1973
IowaBear said:

No I don't, not when you have Akinjo, Cryer, Flagler as your 3 primary guards and a very very talented Love. Will he play at least early on? Heck yes. But he's not starting, not playing big minutes take it to the bank.
How can you take it to the bank? Have you seen him play? I doubt Drew would have wasted a scholarship spot on him if he thought him unworthy of competing for minutes.
IowaBear
Where did I say he don't get minutes? But you're either delusional or uneducated if you think he's playing over those 3. And I have my doubts he will play over Love. Doesn't mean he won't play and have a role.
IowaBear said:

Those weren't Bonner's numbers.

Those were Derrick White's numbers. At the D2 level. Before he transferred to Colorado, was named All-Pac 12, and was drafted in the first round by the Spurs where he's currently the team's starting SG making 17mil per year.

Bonner's numbers were actually slightly more impressive.

Crawfoso1973
IowaBear said:

Where did I say he don't get minutes? But you're either delusional or uneducated if you think he's playing over those 3. And I have my doubts he will play over Love. Doesn't mean he won't play and have a role.
You said "not playing big minutes take it to the bank."

Nowhere did I say he will be "playing over" those 3. But there is opportunity to earn a role. We played 4 guards last year so there is opportunity to compete for minutes. Not sure how you are so certain he won't be able to compete for minutes without having seen him play. I will trust Drew's ability to recruit transfers who know how to play and fit our system.
IowaBear
I'm certain because will be better in other areas next year. Will be able to play multiple bigs together at times/multiple forwards at times. Yes will still go 4 guards deep but when Mayer returns and he will it'll be hard for him to find minutes.
BearFan33
Great numbers. They must have watched a lot of film on him. Fits the system and culture of joy.
IowaBear said:

You said he'd struggle to get any minutes at all. Go re-read what you wrote. You also assumed that he was a walk-on which is laughable considering his output as a freshman and sophomore.

Did you think a D3 player like Freddie Gillispie would end up being a BETTER option than Tristan Clark, and now playing in the NBA putting up solid numbers for the Raptors? It's not like Flagler had tough competition either. Look at Brady Heslip's time at BC. The dude was a benchwarmer.

Who knows how Bonner will develop, but he sure as hell will get playing time immediately and with that 3-point percentage, he's easily in the discussion for a starting role.
Crawfoso1973
IowaBear said:

I'm certain because will be better in other areas next year. Will be able to play multiple bigs together at times/multiple forwards at times. Yes will still go 4 guards deep but when Mayer returns and he will it'll be hard for him to find minutes.
I don't disagree, it is a new team and in certain ways deeper and more talented than the team that just won it all. Will be a challenge for the coaching staff to find roles and help the team find new chemistry. Fewer entrenched roles so the competition will be wide open and I think Bonner enhances the level of competition. Drew likes an 8 man rotation by conference time which will be a challenge for this group.
IowaBear
Are we not allowed to our opinions? No one thought Freddie would do anything especially his first year. Anyone saying otherwise is a damm liar. I don't think he will play much at all next year. If he does I'll eat my crow. We're Not exactly lacking when it comes to talented guards already on the roster. Next years team won't need to be as reliant on guard play as years past. That's also working against him. It's not that laughable to think a D2 player is going to be walk on.
Crawfoso1973
IowaBear said:

Are we not allowed to our opinions? No one thought Freddie would do anything especially his first year. Anyone saying otherwise is a damm liar. I don't think he will play much at all next year. If he does I'll eat my crow. We're Not exactly lacking when it comes to talented guards already on the roster. Next years team won't need to be as reliant on guard play as years past. That's also working against him. It's not that laughable to think a D2 player is going to be walk on.
Not sure how being "reliant on guard play" is a bad thing. It won us a trophy.
IowaBear
Where did I say that was bad? Again putting words into my mouth. I simply said we WONT be as reliant on guard play this year. Why you ask? Guys like KB/JTT/Dain etc. will have guys who can score inside we haven't had that in years past. How you came to that conclusion from my post I'll never know
Crawfoso1973
IowaBear said:

Where did I say that was bad? Again putting words into my mouth. I simply said we WONT be as reliant on guard play this year. Why you ask? Guys like KB/JTT/Dain etc. will have guys who can score inside we haven't had that in years past. How you came to that conclusion from my post I'll never know
I view Kentall Brown more as a guard TBH. Dain is a good but you can't assume he will get minutes any more than Bonner or the other guards. Way premature to assume we won't be a guard-oriented team like the team that just won it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.