Story Poster
Photo by Chris Jones-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Women's Basketball

Podcast: Nicki Collen Discusses Incoming Transfers, Recruits, Roster

April 30, 2022

Ashley Hodge catches up with Head Women's Basketball Coach Nicki Collen on the latest additions to the Baylor family and how this upcoming roster is taking shape as she prepares to chase championships in 2022-23.  

In this podcast, we discuss the 12 expected scholarship players on the upcoming roster (except for Dre’Una Edwards because she has not officially signed yet so Nicki can’t comment on her).  Nicki talks about what we might be looking for with one more potential addition.  

Guards

Sarah Andrews (JR) 5-6; 11 ppg; 5 asst; 39% 3pt
Ja'Mee Asberry (SR) 5-5; 10 ppg; 36% 3pt
Jaden Owens (SR) 5-8; 2 ppg
Jana Van Gytenbeek (JR) 5-7- Stanford transfer; 2 ppg; 38% 3pt

Wings
Dre'Una Edwards (SR) 6-2- Kentucky transfer; 17 ppg; 8 reb; 35% 3pt
Darianna Littlepage Buggs (FR) 6-1; McDonald's All-American; #17 recruit
Ysabella Fontleroy (FR) 6-1; #41 recruit
Catarina Ferreira (JR) 6-1; 10 ppg; 6 reb; 35% 3pt
Aijha Blackwell (SR) 6-0; Mizzou transfer; 15 ppg; 13 reb

Kyla Abraham (FR) 6-4; #62 recruit
Kendra Gillespie (SO) 6-2; 2 ppg; 1 reb

Discussion from...

Podcast: Nicki Collen Discusses Incoming Transfers, Recruits, Roster

6,942 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by baylor1984
GarlandBear84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is full of info for our fans.
blueeyedbear
GarlandBear84 said:

This is full of info for our fans.
I just love how open and honest she is !!! Very IMPRESSIVE interview
MrGolfguy
W
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
slimecap

TALKING BASKETBALL

WOW!! So much information that I jotted 2 pages of notes.
Ashley, I enjoyed the depth of exploration on every player.
Worth. every. minute. !!
Thanking both you and CNC for taking time from your weekend to create this interview.
Sic 'em
BleedGreen&Gold
How do you not know how to pronounce these players names? That is disrespectful to go on air without knowing how to pronounce a player's name.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
BleedGreen&Gold said:

How do you not know how to pronounce these players names? That is disrespectful to go on air without knowing how to pronounce a player's name.
you are a man of a lot of grievances aren't you? I can tell by your posting history. Sorry it didn't meet your standard.
blueeyedbear
Ashley Hodge said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

you are a man of a lot of grievances aren't you? I can tell by your posting history. Sorry it didn't meet your standard.
Ignore - Its much ado about nothing - it was a wonderful interview - CNC was comfortable in talking and that is your main job - provide a conducive, relaxed environment and let the interviewee talk - questions were great lead ins and comment on the Baylor men's recruit was appropriate context. Great job getting some background stories out of CNC. WELL DONE !! Looking forward to your next interview with CNC about recruiting Dre'Una Edwards.
BleedGreen&Gold
Ashley Hodge said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

Is feedback not allowed on this forum? I enjoyed the interview but come on man you didn't know how to pronounce a major transfer's name before a planned interview in which you knew you were going to ask the coach about her and then even one of our own current players you didn't know how to pronounce her name either -- in the SAME interview. That is fair game, sir. This coverage of WBB is great and I am happy you and this organization provide this -- but learn how to pronounce the women's names -- they deserve that.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
BleedGreen&Gold said:

Ashley Hodge said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

Is feedback not allowed on this forum? I enjoyed the interview but come on man you didn't know how to pronounce a major transfer's name before a planned interview in which you knew you were going to ask the coach about her and then even one of our own current players you didn't know how to pronounce her name either -- in the SAME interview. That is fair game, sir. This coverage of WBB is great and I am happy you and this organization provide this -- but learn how to pronounce the women's names -- they deserve that.
I'm just busting your chops. Yes, feedback is allowed and welcomed but seems strange that instead of saying for example, "thanks for the interview and giving women's basketball more attention, but please learn how to pronounce the names correctly, they deserve that."

Instead, you come with a combative tone. I'm much more interested in women's basketball personally under Nicki Collen than I ever was before. Collen is a great person with an abundance mindset. And she plays an exciting brand of basketball and I love basketball. And they give us access that Mulkey never did. If you were a fan of the men's program, you were an enemy to Kim.

I had never heard Aijha's name pronounced before. I knew how to pronounce Ja'Mee's name. It was just a deal where I was thinking about a question while having the name in front of me and fumbled it a little.

I welcome criticism but focusing on two mispronounciations of names instead of the content of the podcast (which was awesome thanks to Coach Collen) just seems like a weird hill to die on but to each is own.

WacoKelly83
As long as Coach doesn't mispronounce their names, I think we're good. If anyone else does I'm not too concerned about it. Unless it's the radio crew. That's usually the first place fans learn the proper pronunciations.
airforcebear
Some folks are too young to remember Dizzy Dean and Yogi Berra! wonderful mispronunciations!
baylor1984
Love CNC. Really hope she has a long and successful career here at Baylor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.