Big 12 happenings

1,134,157 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mimi25408 said:

mimi25408, Thanks for posting. An interesting journey for Esmery Martinez.
Mississippi State > Texas > ?
LIB,MR BEARS
I hope Mr Nooner finds a place that offers a short, 7 month lease:
"
Welcome to the Forty Acres, Terry Nooner!

Coach Nooner brings with him extensive experience in women's college basketball and will work with the Texas post players.

hookem.at/TerryNooner"

edit( sorry. i've No idea how to post a twitter link)
slimecap

Shutdown starts on Monday. Phones are on for the weekend.
slimecap

2021 RECRUITING

"Paige Bradley announced on Twitter on Saturday that she has committed to Texas. Bradley is rated by Prospects Nation as the 58th-best player in the nation and the 16th-best guard in the Class of 2021. The 5-10 Bradley averaged 8.9 points and 7.3 rebounds and 1.9 steals per game as a sophomore to help Bishop Lynch win the TAPPS 6A state championship. "

- Greg Riddle, Dallas Morning News, 10 Aug 2019
slimecap

JHASMIN PLAYER
Assistant Coach

blueeyedbear
slimecap said:

2021 RECRUITING

"Paige Bradley announced on Twitter on Saturday that she has committed to Texas. Bradley is rated by Prospects Nation as the 58th-best player in the nation and the 16th-best guard in the Class of 2021. The 5-10 Bradley averaged 8.9 points and 7.3 rebounds and 1.9 steals per game as a sophomore to help Bishop Lynch win the TAPPS 6A state championship. "

- Greg Riddle, Dallas Morning News, 10 Aug 2019
Going from Bishop Lynch to UT - OMG is she in for an eye opener !!
Dcheetah
Her Mom and Dad played for UT. She is a legacy.
slimecap

2021 RECRUITING
Jasmine "Jazz" Shavers

slimecap

PARTIAL 2019-20 NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE
Update

Nov 10 @ Drake
Nov 18 Princeton
Nov 22 @ North Dakota State
Dec 05 @ Alabama BIG 12 / SEC Challenge
Dec 22 UNorthern Iowa
xxx xx Iowa Site TBA
slimecap

2022 RECRUITING
Alexia Mobley

slimecap

Update

Nov 29 Monmouth or Purdue Fort Wayne or USan Diego USD Thanksgiving Tournament
Nov 30 Monmouth or Purdue Fort Wayne or USan Diego USD Thanksgiving Tournament
Dec 04 Ole Miss BIG 12 / SEC Challenge
Dec 29 UTSA
slimecap

HEAD COACH JEFF MITTIE

In his first 5 seasons at K-State
.. 100 wins
.. 5 postseason appearances, including 3 NCAA Tournaments
.. 13 All-Big 12 selections

Overall
.. Begins his 28th season in 2019-20
.. Surpassed the 550-win mark during the 2018-19 season
.. Owns a career mark of 554-301 (.648)

- K-State WBB website, 16 Aug 2019
slimecap

2022 RECRUITING
Myka Perry

Florda_mike
I'm beginning to view Iowa State as a top 10-25 team in future but not strong enough, yet, to attract the top national players Baylor will

They will certainly challenge the entitled UT gals, especially if snooty Aston stays, for 2nd in conference
blueeyedbear
Florda_mike said:

I'm beginning to view Iowa State as a top 10-25 team in future but not strong enough, yet, to attract the top national players Baylor will

They will certainly challenge the entitled UT gals, especially if snooty Aston stays, for 2nd in conference
Bill Finley is making a strong comeback now that those frivolous lawsuits have been dismissed and he seems to have the pep in his step back now.
Its good for the Big 12 for Iowa State to start making deep runs in the tournament instead of the one and done the past several years.
I am conflicted however - I would love to see Iowa State replace UT in the leader board - but if Iowa State replaces UT as second to BU that may cause the powers to make a change for HC and get a real coach in there.
I am glad for Bill - Class act - he has always respected BU players and stops several players in the handshake line to say something complementary to them.
slimecap

2020 RECRUITING
Jayla Kelly

August 3, 2019

slimecap

HARDSHIP WAIVER APPROVED
August 14, 2019

"Guard Lashann Higgs will be eligible to compete for the Longhorns in the 2019-20 season. The Big 12 Conference has officially approved a hardship waiver for Higgs, who tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in her left knee in Texas' November 23, 2018 game vs. Quinnipiac.

Higgs, a senior who has played in 107 career games for the Longhorns and has scored 1,019 career points, saw action in only four games in 2018-19 before suffering a season-ending injury.

Head coach Karen Aston quote
"We are obviously thrilled to welcome Lashann back for a final year at Texas. She is a special player and an even better young woman who has benefited in so many ways from being at Texas for an additional year. I know she is going to be very motivated to help our team be successful and accomplish her own personal goals at the same time."

- Texas WBB website
slimecap

Update

Nov 22 Northwestern State
Nov 29 v Monmouth or Purdue Fort Wayne or USan Diego USD Thanksgiving Tourney
Nov 30 v Monmouth or Purdue Fort Wayne or USan Diego
Dec 04 Ole Miss BIG 12 / SEC Challenge
Dec 17 Prairie View A&M
Dec 29 UTSA
arzdfd
slimecap said:

TEXAS TECH

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DF58IdqUIAEdGbz.jpg:large

Lady Raiders fill two spots with Swoopes & Balcomb

July 5, 2017

"Texas Tech finished 14-17 last season and associate head coach Matt Corkery and assistant coach Ray Caldwell have since departed.

The Tech women's basketball program, trying to right itself from four consecutive losing seasons, announced a couple of splashy hires Wednesday.

Tech coach Candi Whitaker named Hall of Fame player Sheryl Swoopes director of player development, bringing home the icon who led the Lady Raiders to the 1993 NCAA championship. A few hours later, Tech announced the hiring of Melanie Balcomb as associate head coach.

Whitaker described herself as thrilled to welcome back Swoopes to the program.

"She brings a wealth of experience playing at the highest level," Whitaker said, "and will be an outstanding resource for our student-athletes. Sheryl's passion for our program and for impacting young players will be extremely beneficial for our continued growth. She is a fantastic addition to our staff."

Swoopes is expected to help develop each player personally, academically and athletically. She also will work with Texas Tech's academic services, sports performance and sports medicine departments along with assisting the coaching staff in breaking down video and preparation of game strategy. Her job description, according to Tech, also includes assisting the Red Raider Club, the Marsha Sharp Learning Center and athletic director Kirby Hocutt in community outreach while serving as an analyst for televised games.

"I couldn't be more excited about joining Texas Tech and the Lady Raider program," Swoopes said in Tech's announcement. "I am very grateful to coach Whitaker for giving me this opportunity and I am looking forward to working with the players and staff. My role as director of player development gives me an opportunity to do what I love and help the players develop both on and off the court."

Swoopes, who had her No. 22 jersey retired on Feb. 19, 1994, has been inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame and the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame over the past two years.

Swoopes, 46, was head coach at Loyola of Chicago for three seasons before being fired in July 2016 amid allegations of player mistreatment and many players leaving. In June 2016, Swoopes released a statement calling the allegations "reckless reports" and "false attacks."

In the statement, she said, "There is nothing in my behavior, past nor present, as a coach or professional that reflects anything other than structure, encouragement and respect for others."

As a senior, Swoopes guided the Lady Raiders to the Southwest Conference regular season and tournament championships and the NCAA championship. After averaging 28.1 points, which ranked second nationally, she was named the Naismith college player of the year and the WBCA player of the year.auto clicker

As a Texas Tech athlete, Swoopes set 30 women's basketball records, including four Final Four records, three NCAA tournament records, four NCAA championship game records and eight Texas Tech school records counting the single-game school record for points (53), which still stands.

Swoopes was one of the first players to sign a WNBA contract and became a three-time WNBA MVP, two-time scoring champion, four-time WNBA champion, three-time defensive player of the year and six-time all-Star. She also was a three-time Olympic gold medalist with Team USA.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEAn983UIAAvCvw.jpg:large

Balcomb is 473-253 with 15 NCAA Tournament appearances in 23 seasons as head coach at Ashland (1993-95), Xavier (1995-2002) and Vanderbilt (2002-16). She spent last season as director of coaching offensive analytics at South Carolina, which won the national championship. word unscrambler

"We are very fortunate to add Melanie to our coaching staff," Whitaker said in a prepared statement that Tech released. "Melanie's longstanding success as a Division I head coach makes her an invaluable asset to our program. She knows how to win at the highest level. Melanie is a proven recruiter and will benefit our team in all facets."

Balcomb went 135-78 in seven seasons at Xavier, making an NCAA Tournament round of eight appearance in 2001. She's the winningest coach at Vanderbilt, going 310-149 in 14 seasons. Her Vandy teams made the NCAA Tournament 12 years in a row from 2003-14, reaching the round of 16 four times.

She has a reputation for sound offense after her Vanderbilt teams finished in the top 50 nationally in field-goal percentage every season, including four times among the top four.

"I'm excited to get back on the court and help Texas Tech keep moving the needle forward in a positive way," Balcomb said in Tech's announcement. "The opportunity to work with great people at a program with historical success made it an easy decision." jumble solver

Balcomb played collegiately at Trenton State (now the College of New Jersey) and served as an assistant at Niagara (1985-89), Ohio (1989-90) and Providence (1990-93)."

- Carlos Silva Jr. & Don Williams, Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

This is a great opportunity for both West Virginia and Pitt to renew a fantastic women's basketball rivalry. I want to thank Pitt Athletic Director Heather Lyke, Coach McConnell-Serio and coach Mike Carey for renewing this exciting rivalry. We look forward to hosting the Panthers here at the WVU Coliseum this December.
slimecap
Florda_mike said:

I'm beginning to view Iowa State as a top 10-25 team

BILL FENNELLY
25th Season

slimecap
mimi25408 said:

2019 RECRUITING
Mississippi State > Texas > West Virginia

#49 HoopGurlz overall player & #8 post
#25 All-Star Girls Report overall
#16 Collegiate Girls Basketball Report position

"A 6-2 forward from Hato Mayor Del Ray in the Dominican Republic, Martinez comes to Morgantown after a standout prep career at national powerhouse Hamilton Heights Christian Academy in Chattanooga TN. Under the direction of coach Keisha Hunt, Martinez averaged 18.3 points, 14.3 rebounds and 5.9 blocks per game during her career with the Hawks. She helped the program finish as the runner-up at the 2018 Geico High School Nationals Tournament, earning all-tournament team honors for her performance. In 2017, Martinez was named the MVP of the girls' camp of Basketball Without Borders Americas.

"We are thrilled that Esmery has decided to join our program," WVU head coach Mike Carey said. "Her unique skill set allows her to score the basketball in a number of ways. Offensively she is skilled and can stretch the defense with her ability to shoot the basketball. Her length, size and foot speed will really help us on the defensive end of the floor. She plays the game with extreme passion and plays very hard, and I love that about her. She will have a great career here."

Martinez brings a wealth of international experience as well. She has represented the Dominion Republic as a member of the junior national team and averaged 8.8 points and 5.3 rebounds at the 2018 FIBA Caribbean Women's Championship."

- WVU WBB website, 20 Aug 2019

Link from Forum poster DFW Bill information on Martinez's high school teammates
8:30a, 8/8/19
blueeyedbear
slimecap said:

mimi25408 said:

2019 RECRUITING
Mississippi State > Texas > West Virginia

#49 HoopGurlz overall player & #8 post
#25 All-Star Girls Report overall
#16 Collegiate Girls Basketball Report position

"A 6-2 forward from Hato Mayor Del Ray in the Dominican Republic, Martinez comes to Morgantown after a standout prep career at national powerhouse Hamilton Heights Christian Academy in Chattanooga TN. Under the direction of coach Keisha Hunt, Martinez averaged 18.3 points, 14.3 rebounds and 5.9 blocks per game during her career with the Hawks. She helped the program finish as the runner-up at the 2018 Geico High School Nationals Tournament, earning all-tournament team honors for her performance. In 2017, Martinez was named the MVP of the girls' camp of Basketball Without Borders Americas.

"We are thrilled that Esmery has decided to join our program," WVU head coach Mike Carey said. "Her unique skill set allows her to score the basketball in a number of ways. Offensively she is skilled and can stretch the defense with her ability to shoot the basketball. Her length, size and foot speed will really help us on the defensive end of the floor. She plays the game with extreme passion and plays very hard, and I love that about her. She will have a great career here."

Martinez brings a wealth of international experience as well. She has represented the Dominion Republic as a member of the junior national team and averaged 8.8 points and 5.3 rebounds at the 2018 FIBA Caribbean Women's Championship."

- WVU WBB website, 20 Aug 2019

Link from Forum poster DFW Bill information on Martinez's high school teammates
8:30a, 8/8/19

I bet KA hair is on fire - Martinez committed to UT and then there was a terse announcement from UT saying she was not coming - I do not know what happened or who spoke truth to her but she decommitted and now West Virginia signs her. WT is putting some pieces together for a pretty good team
Pale Rider
That's great.
Florda_mike
WV over UT?

Let's be quite on it but sure seems UT Women's BB is in downward spiral
Eball
Before we sleep on UT...they got a good one in Celeste Taylor...they also picked up two from down under a big at 6' 4'' and a guard that shoots the three...they will be good next year...also with the transfer rule you really count anyone out.
blueeyedbear
Eball said:

Before we sleep on UT...they got a good one in Celeste Taylor...they also picked up to from down under a big at 6' 4'' and a guard that shoots the three...they will be good next year...also with the transfer rule you really count anyone out.
Agreed with EBall about current UT squad. Taylor is a good one but Prince leaving was a big blow however getting Higgs back was very good news for them and the 2 Ausies are good gets and that's why I asked a few days ago why did we lose out on the two Ausies that signed with UT ?? We have had 3 from down under over the years that had positive experiences here at BU - where are you Kristi Wallace ???
bearbone11
blueeyedbear said:

Eball said:

Before we sleep on UT...they got a good one in Celeste Taylor...they also picked up to from down under a big at 6' 4'' and a guard that shoots the three...they will be good next year...also with the transfer rule you really count anyone out.
Agreed with EBall about current UT squad. Taylor is a good one but Prince leaving was a big blow however getting Higgs back was very good news for them and the 2 Ausies are good gets and that's why I asked a few days ago why did we lose out on the two Ausies that signed with UT ?? We have had 3 from down under over the years that had positive experiences here at BU - where are you Kristi Wallace ???

I think the simplest explanation for the lack of Aussie recruits is that we are recruiting so well domestically. Since we seem to have had our pick of top 25 recruits over the last 4 years or so, there isn't much reason to be looking 10,000 miles away unless there is a specific situation that looks favorable. Was there ever any interest on our part for the Aussies that ended up at Texas?
R11
HoustonBear15
Eball said:

The same thing has been said about Texas every year. They get top recruits or snag some good transfers and then people think that'll instantly make the team better. Joyner Holmes was supposed to be a good one too. So was Charli Collier. So was Chasity Patterson. You get my point. Karen Aston tries to reload every season and it always turns out the same way.
Eball
HoustonBear15 said:

Eball said:

The same thing has been said about Texas every year. They get top recruits or snag some good transfers and then people think that'll instantly make the team better. Joyner Holmes was supposed to be a good one too. So was Charli Collier. So was Chasity Patterson. You get my point. Karen Aston tries to reload every season and it always turns out the same way.
I just think they will continue to be good enough to finish second in conference and win a couple of games in the tourney. I think a lot believe they will fall into a pit (where they belong) but they will still be a pretty decent team.

They have enough talent to give us a run for our money especially in Austin.
Eball
bearbone11 said:

blueeyedbear said:

Eball said:

I think the simplest explanation for the lack of Aussie recruits is that we are recruiting so well domestically. Since we seem to have had our pick of top 25 recruits over the last 4 years or so, there isn't much reason to be looking 10,000 miles away unless there is a specific situation that looks favorable. Was there ever any interest on our part for the Aussies that ended up at Texas?
I think you are probably right on recruiting...we are commanding looks from some of the very best kids and it changing to some degree our need to take a flyer on a bit of an unknown...We will still take talented kids but if you can land a top fifty player who is the 4th best PG coming out but you also in on the top three it maybe that you just don't sign that one as you sure you getting someone ranked higher. Of course we all know four years later we may regret not taking the one as things change but hopefully you understand what I am saying. KWAl was awesome and a great find and fit...but it is harder to know for sure how kids will fit if they come from so far away and maybe did not play the level of competition American players face. No doubt if there is a foreign player everyone wants then Coach Kim will be in on them.
blueeyedbear
Eball said:

bearbone11 said:

blueeyedbear said:

Eball said:

I think you are probably right on recruiting...we are commanding looks from some of the very best kids and it changing to some degree our need to take a flyer on a bit of an unknown...We will still take talented kids but if you can land a top fifty player who is the 4th best PG coming out but you also in on the top three it maybe that you just don't sign that one as you sure you getting someone ranked higher. Of course we all know four years later we may regret not taking the one as things change but hopefully you understand what I am saying. KWAl was awesome and a great find and fit...but it is harder to know for sure how kids will fit if they come from so far away and maybe did not play the level of competition American players face. No doubt if there is a foreign player everyone wants then Coach Kim will be in on them.
Good point - I am just saying the Ausies both men and women's have been giving our all star teams all they want the last several years so they are not exactly unknown - but home for these kids is Far FAR away
Dcheetah
Having LaShan Higgs Available will help alot too. she is very good.
Eball
blueeyedbear said:

Eball said:

bearbone11 said:

blueeyedbear said:

Eball said:

Good point - I am just saying the Ausies both men and women's have been giving our all star teams all they want the last several years so they are not exactly unknown - but home for these kids is Far FAR away
Again I think the two Aussies for UT will be good...it is really hard to know what we are doing on recruiting trail as Kim plays it so close to the vest. If a player does not let it out then we just never find out it seems. I suspect when you look at recruiting classes in last several years and with the Championship we won it is likely we are attracting attention from some kids who a re very good but perhaps out of State and unlikly for a lot of reasons not to think of us..say they west coast kids or East coast kids with offers from UNCONN, Stanford, ND and other traditional powers in their comfort zone...now those kids are considering us...

Unless someone has inside info on the two Aussies going to UT we will likely never know if we considered them or they considered us. I feel certain the must have been pretty good and good resumes to earn full rides from UT but who knows whether they were fall backs for Karen or her first choices.
Florda_mike
HoustonBear15 said:

Eball said:

Boom
HoustonBear15
Eball said:

HoustonBear15 said:

Eball said:

I just think they will continue to be good enough to finish second in conference and win a couple of games in the tourney. I think a lot believe they will fall into a pit (where they belong) but they will still be a pretty decent team.

They have enough talent to give us a run for our money especially in Austin.
Exactly. They will continue to do what they do every year with no improvement, just a pretty decent team. At what point do you want to be better than decent? Besides the great recruits and transfers, they will still be second. They will still mostly likely not make it past the sweet 16. That is my point- as long as Karen Aston is the coach, they will remain exactly where they are. No matter what roster they put together.
First Page Last Page
Page 51 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.