Big 12 happenings

1,133,891 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
BUatbirth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Smith has her NCAA Championship ring.
historian
That all might be true but I doubt any player--at any school--is going to think about it that way. However, I do recall Coach Mulkey stressing the importance of players finishing their education and getting their degrees.

I also recall seeing something about Kalani Brown's salary when she was drafted by the LA Sparks. It was pathetic--especially when one considers how expensive it is to live in LA (all of California, actually). She will be lucky to maintain even a modest lifestyle.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
fredbear
Smith needs a ring as the dominant player of the championship. Not riding Cox's coattails. I mean a ring she owns because she owned the game.
AirBear
I think Smith performed well for a young player in the championship game except for her 5 fouls in 17 minutes. She shot 7-9 from the field for 14 points. But I agree she was not the dominate player. But neither was Cox. Brown and Jackson were more dominating.
slimecap
Nov 27, 2020

Northwestern State @ Baylor Rescheduled for Dec 18
Kansas State 63 @ Newman University 59 Exhibition
West Virginia 83 vs Fresno State 62 @ South Point Thanksgiving Shootout Las Vegas NV
Lone Star
AP, one small flaw with the numbers you are throwing around are that you have named only several of the most elite WNBA players to play the game in the past 15 years. Those 6 figure numbers do not go to everyone both here and overseas. Same with endorsement money. You pride yourself with well gathered statistical information to support your case, I would expect you to gather that same data across the league to support your statement in an anticipated response.

Most of these gals that play in the WNBA to so to be at the highest level and any salary will be more then they were making in college (skip the cost of the education as it is not really comparable revenue to the individual). Many of them will make far less than the $130k average salary indicated in your post and for many of them, the WNBA is all they have at graduation and, is also a resume builder for them when their careers are over (some in less than a year unless they go overseas) to consider pursuing a career in coaching.

Adriacus Peratuun
SMH.....

will y'all believe an article from Business Insider?

Read entire article and pinned tweets. Top salaries over $500,000. Average salary is $130,000.

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-wnba-cba-improves-salaries-maternity-leave-marketing-travel-2020-1
Adriacus Peratuun
How about SI?

https://www.si.com/wnba/2020/01/14/wnba-cba-labor-salary-raise-players-association
fredbear
Most WNBA players have ZERO endorsements. Also, how was natty game going when Cox was in the game? How did it go when Cox left with injury? The answer to that tells you who was the dominant leader In the game.

AP is the king of Xs and Os, no doubt. But the logic of economics and value of finishing and education have left AP. Smith is smarter than to leave a big time college game in the national spotlight to rush into what she'll get anyway, WNBA Un televised basketball in a league that loses over ten million a year. And yes, college wbb loses money too, but it is not a commercial enterprise operating for profit. It is a nonprofessional endeavor for school pride.
Adriacus Peratuun
Or maybe you want to actually read the CBA?

Look at Exhibit 5 for Rookie Contract amounts. For those focused on "cost of living in LA" look at lodging reimbursement. Don't forget to look at the paragraph where 25% of the licensing and other revenues are shared with the players. Look at the performance [merit] bonuses. The rookie salaries plus "shared revenues" gets almost every player to six figures. And that doesn't include endorsements or signings. And it doesn't include overseas pay.

https://www.si.com/wnba/2020/01/14/wnba-cba-labor-salary-raise-players-association
Adriacus Peratuun
One last tidbit for those who failed to read it.....Smith has to be on track to graduate 2021 Summer 1 Session to be draft eligible [due to her birthdate]. She isn't giving up a Baylor degree to go pro early. Collier at UT is different situation. Note: Smith has 3 full Summer Semesters, is on 3 Fall Semesters, will be on 3 Spring Semesters. She very well may graduate in May.

I actually understand the finances very well. Most women who are able to play ten years professionally [WNBA and overseas] will earn more than 90% of y'all did your first 25 years out of college. And they will still be very young and ready for another career.

And the "most players don't get endorsements" is nonsense. They won't all get Ionescu's multimillion dollar Nike payday, but many will get a handful of local $5,000 to $20,000 annual deals. I know one "long time" reserve player [never started a game in WNBA but always makes a team] that has earned over $250,000 during her career simply by attending signings. You would be surprised how many players get $2,000 to $4,000 in places like Turkey or China to simply "show up at a business opening or similar event". That money adds up. And [to be fully honest] is often paid in cash [read into that tidbit what you will].
fredbear
AP paints much to bright a future. I posted an article about the dreary future of WNBA and there are lots of accountants who agree. Real numbers. 10 million in the red. Can't believe WNBA marketing hype from sports promoters. The hopeful numbers are only a dream in a money losing league. Name one BU player, even a graduate, who has forgone her final year on KM coached team for WNBA. None. Foolish decision to leave limelight even with degree in hand. Let's just hope Smith plays well enough that she has a decision to make. In the meantime we would all to well to listen to AP help us with analyzing this season. From the first game, I would say we do not look like even a top 10 team. Let's hope didi gets 100%, Queen gets out of the dog house, and someone learns a mid range jump shot and a three point game .

This time next year we will know if indeed Smith left a year early, becoming the very first at BU to do so. I wish her the best, but think she is too smart to give up big time bball for a failing league or playing in a Gym in Turkey.

The sad fact is that AP is not right. I wish the WNBA Was rocking and women were paid with parity compared to men. The guys make hundreds of millions while AP is boasting over low ball 6 figures. Sad that the WNBA has floundered from the first season onward. Let's watch the league and promote it into the black. And hope NS is player of the year with a second natty in her hand and a temptation to play in Russia for real cash.
fredbear
Here are the REAL numbers. You can see why guys are tempted at even one and done, but women stay in college bball

https://www.wsn.com/nba/nba-vs-wnba/
AirBear
fredbear said:

Most WNBA players have ZERO endorsements. Also, how was natty game going when Cox was in the game? How did it go when Cox left with injury? The answer to that tells you who was the dominant leader In the game.

AP is the king of Xs and Os, no doubt. But the logic of economics and value of finishing and education have left AP. Smith is smarter than to leave a big time college game in the national spotlight to rush into what she'll get anyway, WNBA Un televised basketball in a league that loses over ten million a year. And yes, college wbb loses money too, but it is not a commercial enterprise operating for profit. It is a nonprofessional endeavor for school pride.
No, the injury tells you that Notre Dame could shift their defense to basically double team Kalani and more. the focus on Kalani by Notre Dame is why Jackson only had one person to beat to go all the way to the bucket for the game winner.
LIB,MR BEARS
I think the WNBA will continue to be propped up by the NBA and by ESPN/ABC overpaying for broadcast rights. Both the league and the network have put a social justice stake in the ground and will not write-off the WNBA unless their own money dries up considerably. I think that is happening some but, it has a long way to go.
slimecap
Pale Rider
Wow.
Wichitabear
Pale Rider said:

Wow.
I am speechless.
historian
I hope this means SDSU WBB program is really good and not that Iowa State is that bad. Their MBB team was very good last season.

I like the fact that Baylor dominates the Big 12, but we need multiple teams in the conference to be competitive or our wins over them we have less value. Best if we beat ranked teams.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Dcheetah
Didn't SDSU play us down to the wire last.year? They are usually a very good outside shooting team.
Adriacus Peratuun
South Dakota St. is [for past few years] a perennial Top 25 program. They are a GREAT team to play to "learn about your team" on both O and D and prepare for certain top opponents.

On O they run a Spread the floor five out Motion O utilizing five shooters. They utilize a ton of personnel and ball movement and force teams to D the entire shot clock. It is a great lesson for facing UConn....very similar O.....slightly different dribble drive components but a great lesson nonetheless.

On D, they are similar to Stanford......Queens of the junk defense. They find your strengths and weakness and make adjustments to force you to beat them with your weak areas. They were the team that utilized that backside double in 100 different ways forcing our bigs to become distributors not shooters.

In the Championship season, you will recall that late in the season Richards became much more adept at the backside dive when her defender doubled Brown [from backside]. That play is one of two key responses to the backside double. The other is the pass to the backside shooter. Baylor figured out that Brown had trouble making the corner 3 pass so they had Landrum "slide and replace" out to the backside wing [a pass Brown could make]. Those two components became killer responses to backside doubles. South Dakota exposed that weakness, other teams used it, Baylor eventually fixed the problem.
slimecap
Nov 28, 2020

Iowa State 69 @ South Dakota State 76
Gonzaga vs Oklahoma @ Sioux Falls SD Cancelled
Central Arkansas 48 @ TCU 65
Houston Baptist 51 @ Texas Tech 68
West Virginia 62 vs LSU 42 @ South Point Thanksgiving Shootout Las Vegas NV
blueeyedbear
historian said:

I hope this means SDSU WBB program is really good and not that Iowa State is that bad. Their MBB team was very good last season.

I like the fact that Baylor dominates the Big 12, but we need multiple teams in the conference to be competitive or our wins over them we have less value. Best if we beat ranked teams.
SDSU has a solid recent history of success and plays hard for 4 quarters. I agree SDSU should have been ranked. They are well coached and will be a dangerous team for anyone this year as they tend to go streaky good at times from the outside. Its really going to be hard to measure just what SDSU win over Iowa State means as far as how good Iowa State is and you can throw it out the window when they play BU in Hilton
slimecap
Nov 29, 2020

Texas A&M Corpus Christi 43 @ Kansas 85
Southern 51 @ Kansas State 66
South Carolina vs Oklahoma Cancelled
Oral Roberts 54 @ Oklahoma State 73
North Texas 69 @ Texas 106
slimecap
SCHEDULE UPDATE

Due to a combination of a positive test and subsequent contact tracing within the Missouri Women's Basketball program, the decision has been made to cancel the Tigers' games against Morehead State (Dec. 2), TCU (Dec. 6) and at Texas Tech (Dec. 10). Mizzou will continue to adhere to the direction of the SEC'S Return to Activity and Medical Guidance Task Force as they attempt to return to play.

- Missouri WBB website, 30 Nov 2020
beardoc
St John's also cancelled their men's game at Tech. Apparently cited Lubbock as a hotspot for Covid and didn't want to go there.

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2020/11/30/texas-tech-basketball-ny-post-reports-st-johns-cancel-game-texas-tech/6468199002/
geewago
beardoc said:

St John's also cancelled their men's game at Tech. Apparently cited Lubbock as a hotspot for Covid and didn't want to go there.

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2020/11/30/texas-tech-basketball-ny-post-reports-st-johns-cancel-game-texas-tech/6468199002/
Wow, I thought some of the contact tracing stuff was rather absurd. But now if the media declares a town a "hot spot" teams are just backing out to keep from going there. At least Chicken Little could see what he was running from.
historian
It seems COVID has become an excuse for all kinds of teams who want to wimp out of playing certain opponents. See: Baylor's MBB program last week.
slimecap

slimecap
Kim Mulkey, Queen Egbo & DiDi Richards
Baylor Post-Game vs USouth Florida

historian
I'm so glad DiDi did not foul out.
slimecap

Conference Season Begins Today
Dec 2, 2020

Wichitabear
slimecap said:

Just as proud as ever!!!!
Wichitabear
historian said:

I'm so glad DiDi did not foul out.
according to Kim she didn't think DiDi deserved a technical.
slimecap

Dec 2, 2020
Iowa State 91 @ TCU 68

Iowa State Recap
https://cyclones.com/news/2020/12/2/womens-basketball-no-23-iowa-state-beats-tcu-in-big-12-opener-91-68.aspx

TCU Recap
https://gofrogs.com/news/2020/12/2/womens-basketball-frogs-drop-big-12-opener-to-no-23-cyclones.aspx
First Page Last Page
Page 87 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.