Big 12 happenings

1,134,372 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UPDATE
2022-23 Baylor Roster posted on website
13 players

https://baylorbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/2022-23
Lynnp550
slimecap said:

UPDATE
13 players

THANK YOU!
So, no Andrea?
Lynnp550
Lynnp550 said:

slimecap said:

UPDATE
13 players

THANK YOU!
So, no Andrea?
When I first clicked on your link it gave me 22-23. Now it gives me 21-22......
slimecap

Released July 6, 2022
slimecap
BIG 12 JULY RECRUITING

slimecap

TRANSFER OUT
July 7, 2022

Texas senior guard Aliyah Matharu has entered the transfer portal
.. Transferred from Mississippi State to Texas ahead of the 2021-22 season
.. Played in every game and led the Longhorns with 12.0 ppg

- Inside Texas writer Joe Cook
BU71
slimecap said:

TRANSFER OUT
July 7, 2022

I thought she was going to be an integral part of their team this year. Any idea what happened?
sicem45
That is a major loss for Texas (at least from a scoring perspective).

They struggled to score in general last year unless their D forced a bunch of turnovers but Matharu is a bucket getter. Not sure I understand that unless Texas is expected to land Gonzalez.
slimecap

TRANSFER OUT
Texas > James Madison University
July 8, 2022

Kobe King-Hawea
Guard/Forward JR 6-0 Point Cook, Australia

TEXAS
.. Appeared in 5 contests during an injury-shortened season
.. Avg 4 points & 10.6 minutes per game
JUCO
Sophomore Casper College
.. Ranked as #1 junior college prospect in the nation in Dan Olson's Collegiate Girls BB Report
.. Avg 15.5 points, 6.5 rebounds & shot 43.3% from 3-point range
Freshman Gillette College
.. NJCAA Div I First Team All-America honors - only freshman
.. Avg 20.0 points, 7.0 rebounds & 5.0 assists
slimecap

NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE
Cancun Challenge
Nov 24-26, 2022

Riviera Division
2 games apiece
6 teams: Central Michigan, North Carolina State, Northern Iowa,
Tulane, Vanderbilt & West Virginia

Mayan Division
3-game round-robin
4 teams: Florida State, Harvard, Oklahoma State & Purdue

TBA Schedules for both divisions

- WVU WBB website, 8 July 2022
slimecap

PREVIOUS ASSISTANT COACH
Larry Tidwell

New ULouisiana Monroe Chief of Staff
In his 46 years of coaching at the high school and collegiate levels, Larry Tidwell has been inducted into six Halls of Fame, most recently the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame this past May.

Tidwell, who will oversee international recruiting as well as cover the state of Texas, will wear many hats for the Warhawks. With his wealth of knowledge, he will be an asset in many areas but especially in junior college recruiting, scouting, special game situations, zone defense, fundraising, alumni and coaching outreach, development of young coaches and staff members, growing support in the community and implementing ideas for marketing and community service.

1992-98 Baylor Assistant Coach
His illustrious collegiate coaching career began in 1992 at Baylor where he spent six seasons. The Lady Bears had seven consecutive losing seasons and an RPI of 312 prior to Tidwell's arrival in Waco. As the first full time assistant in the history of the program, he helped guide the Lady Bears to a Women's National Invitation Tournament and by the fourth season the program cracked the Top 25 and played in the 1998 WNIT Finals. In the final two seasons with Tidwell, the Lady Bears won 35 games. Tidwell's recruiting efforts in Waco ranked two different classes in the Top 25.

- Excerpts from ULM WBB website, 5 July 2022
Dr. J
slimecap said:

TRANSFER OUT
July 7, 2022

One Word.......VIC.
LIB,MR BEARS
Dr. J said:

slimecap said:

TRANSFER OUT
July 7, 2022

One Word.......VIC.
apparently Vic rubs some folks the wrong way. Or, he is encouraging some to leave so he can bring in kids that fit his style better.
Wbbfan29
Transfer because Gonzolas transferred in
Bulldog
Dr. J said:

slimecap said:

TRANSFER OUT
July 7, 2022

One Word.......VIC.
Yeah…..VIC…. The coach that has made the Elite Eight in his first two years at Texas. Have you seen what he's brought in this year?
Wbbfan29
Doesn't matter if it's his first two years at Texas... He is a veteran coach ...it's expected ..he has been to the final four twice.
Bulldog
Wbbfan29 said:

Doesn't matter if it's his first two years at Texas... He is a veteran coach ...it's expected ..he has been to the final four twice.
Really? So no matter what the talent level an elite eight his first two years without his hand picked players is expected? Well, with the talent NC had last year, you would certainly think she should have done better than getting beat on her home floor in the 2nd round by a nobody. Texas played Stanford to within 9 points but really a lot closer than that or they would have been in Final Four. They picked up a lot of good players this year, so will be interesting…
Dr. J
Bulldog said:

Dr. J said:

slimecap said:

TRANSFER OUT
July 7, 2022

One Word.......VIC.
Yeah…..VIC…. The coach that has made the Elite Eight in his first two years at Texas. Have you seen what he's brought in this year?
While Gonzales is a good player in a non P5 conference, I find it interesting that you would recruit someone in (obviously you have to "promise" a player like Gonzales they are going to start) and allow your leading scorer to transfer out. I see it as a lateral shift, not a huge pick up, presuming Gonzales will score the same way she did at BYU. Only time will tell....
itsjuzme
Bulldog said:

Wbbfan29 said:

Really? So no matter what the talent level an elite eight his first two years without his hand picked players is expected? Well, with the talent NC had last year, you would certainly think she should have done better than getting beat on her home floor in the 2nd round by a nobody. Texas played Stanford to within 9 points but really a lot closer than that or they would have been in Final Four. They picked up a lot of good players this year, so will be interesting…
Anybody who discounts what that man at Texas has done in his first two seasons with a hodgepodge roster is delusional, and I have to really question their level of knowledge. Got to give the guy credit where it's due. The previous coach had their program on a steady decline her last two or three seasons.

The good thing is that Nikki has brought in some good transfers as well, and the battle between us, UT, and Iowa State for the conference title will remain intense. Throw OU, KSU, and Kansas in there and we've still got a really interesting conference. Looking forward to the season and can't wait to see what the Lady Bears look like with the new personnel especially Blackwell and Edwards.
Wbbfan29
Yes .. really. He is a seasoned coach that did great things at Mississippi state, as did mulkey at Baylor. But the whole he's only been at Texas for 2 season is back handed comment to a good coach. They have good players every year. At the same time that doesn't mean Baylor won't challenge them and vice versa.
Wbbfan29
I don't think nobody is discounting vic. People know what he has done at msu. There are some people that don't want to play for him so they left. Happened to every coach. I think people are sleeping on OU. They Bringing all of the starting back and Ana lanusa will play again.
Wbbfan29
I actually agree with this. I like Gonzalez and seen a lot of her highlights and watched a few games, I feel like matharu is the better overall player, but no taken away from Gonzalez. Interesting to see how when will play with in a conference with a little more competition.
slimecap

TRANSFER IN
July 11, 2022

"Shaylee Gonzales, the fourth-year sophomore and two-time West Coast Conference Player of the Year, announced her transfer commitment to Texas on Monday after her former BYU coach retired from the program.

The 5-foot-10 standout from Gilbert, Arizona, averaged 18.3 points, 5.9 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 2.3 steals per game en route to second-team All-American honors by The Athletic and Associated Press All-American honorable mention honors.

Gonzales, who ranks No. 10 all time in BYU history with 1,555 career points, led the Cougars in scoring en route to a historic season in Provo, winning a regular-season WCC title and finishing with a 26-4 record and top-15 Associated Press poll ranking."

- Excerpts from Sean Walker, KSL.com, 11 July 2022
=========================================

Nov 5, 2020
"After missing year for ACL injury, BYU's Shaylee Gonzales stronger than ever"
https://www.ksl.com/article/50043397/after-missing-year-for-acl-injury-byus-shaylee-gonzales-stronger-than-ever
Bulldog
They also picked up Sonya Morris, All Big East, from DePaul, 18 ppg and a Taylor Jones, 12 ppg from Oregon State. They will be much better than last year, even losing Matharu…
Dr. J
B12 is now becoming one of the Top 2 toughest WBB conferences in the country based on the last couple years performances in terms of teams getting into the NCAAs and how they have done. CKMs departure has actually strengthened the conference in some ways while her arrival at LSU has also served to strengthen their (SEC) conference.

Wishful thinking would have been to see how the team would have been last year had DeCosta and HSG not transferred out (unfortunately to oblivion). Certainly would have helped in the depth department.
BU71
Dr. J said:

B12 is now becoming one of the Top 2 toughest WBB conferences in the country based on the last couple years performances in terms of teams getting into the NCAAs and how they have done. CKMs departure has actually strengthened the conference in some ways while her arrival at LSU has also served to strengthen their (SEC) conference.

Wishful thinking would have been to see how the team would have been last year had DeCosta and HSG not transferred out (unfortunately to oblivion). Certainly would have helped in the depth department.
We know that DeCosta was dealing with some issues and has transferred twice, I think. I thought she would be an offensive phenom but I didn't know if her defense was up to the coach's standards or not. Not sure where she is now or how she is doing. I always thought HSG's issues were promoted by people claiming to speak for her. Whatever happened to cause CKM to release her was likely due to people not named HSG. I've seen some of her Auburn games and though she has played well I thought her ceiling was much higher, maybe it was the knee injury.
Adriacus Peratuun
Schaefer's dribble drive offense is about a decade out of date.

Try running that offense without outside shooting. Don't count Harmon among the shooters as she will be the initiator. Name one solid 3 point shooter on that roster other than Harmon.

The lane will be very clogged for UT next season.
Wbbfan29
Baylor got their hands on some good players as well. Looks like it might be the battle of the transfers. Would be interesteting to see what transfers play better with better competition.
itsjuzme
Wbbfan29 said:

Baylor got their hands on some good players as well. Looks like it might be the battle of the transfers. Would be interesteting to see what transfers play better with better competition.
Yes, it should be very interesting. I have no doubt Edwards and Blackwell can play in any conference. As far as the UT and ISU transfers go, I have to wait and see. It may come down to who can coach their players up the best. I gotta say again that guy has proven himself in that area whereas Nikki got us bounced out in the second round at home with two first round WNBA draft picks in the lineup . I like her... I like her a lot. But while I am very impressed with her ability to recruit the transfer portal, IMO the jury is still out regarding her level of coaching competency.
BU71
itsjuzme said:

Wbbfan29 said:

Yes, it should be very interesting. I have no doubt Edwards and Blackwell can play in any conference. As far as the UT and ISU transfers go, I have to wait and see. It may come down to who can coach their players up the best. I gotta say again that guy has proven himself in that area whereas Nikki got us bounced out in the second round at home with two first round WNBA draft picks in the lineup . I like her... I like her a lot. But while I am very impressed with her ability to recruit the transfer portal, IMO the jury is still out regarding her level of coaching competency.
I am looking forward to seeing what CNC does with a deeper, more flexible, and longer bench. In addition she has had a year to install her program with the returning players. As the season progresses I believe the freshmen and the transfers will offer CNC a much larger toolbox with a lot of capacity to implement her game plans. I am optimistic!
Brusinbear2001
Yeah the bench will be helpful. I went back and watch some of the Atlanta Dream games when she was coach of the year and if that is the system she wants to use here it can work very well with the players we are recruiting. I think she said in an interview the thing the team last year lacked was grit. I cannot think of a player on this team that has a low motor it will be an energetic season!!
slimecap

CAITLIN BICKLE

"She's headed to VEGAS!
Caitlin Bickle will be reppin' us well at the NBA's Student-Athlete Summit this week!"

- Baylor WBB twitter, 12 July 2022
slimecap

2024 RECRUITING
Me'Arah O'Neal

SirBearALot
I heard Shaquille O'Neal was having a house built in the Metroplex DFW area
slimecap
BU71 said:

slimecap said:

TRANSFER OUT
July 7, 2022

Texas senior guard Aliyah Matharu
has entered the transfer portal
I thought she was going to be an integral part of their team this year. Any idea what happened?

https://instagr.am/p/Cf-l8HntwFp
First Page Last Page
Page 130 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.