Big 12 happenings

1,133,954 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

slimecap

2018 TOURNAMENT

Monday - March 19

Oklahoma State 56 @ Mississippi State 71

"Victoria Vivians scored 23 points, Teaira McCowan added 21 points and 18 rebounds and Mississippi State earned a hard-fought 71-56 win over Oklahoma State in the second round of the women's NCAA Tournament on Monday night. Top-seeded Mississippi State (34-1) also got 17 points from Morgan William, who hit several crucial baskets throughout the game. McCowan scored 17 of her 21 points in the second half and shot 8 of 12 from the field.

Oklahoma State (21-11) was hurt when starting guard Loryn Goodwin picked up her fourth foul with 4:39 remaining in the 3rd quarter. She stayed in the game, but her defensive presence was limited and that was around the time that Mississippi State went on a 10-2 lead to open up a 51-43 advantage.
William made a jumper a few seconds before the third-quarter buzzer to give the Bulldogs their biggest lead in the game at 55-45 and they slowly pulled away.

Oklahoma State, the No. 9 seed, was led by Kaylee Jensen's 18 points. Goodwin added 14 points, nine rebounds and eight assists. Oklahoma State pushed to an early 20-12 lead late in the first quarter, but Mississippi State rallied and the rest of the first half was extremely close. The Bulldogs took a 35-34 advantage into halftime.

Big Picture
Oklahoma StateThe Cowgirls were in the game for most of three quarters, but couldn't match the Bulldogs down the stretch. Jensen and Goodwin were very good in their final college games, but it wasn't enough.

Mississippi State The Bulldogs won thanks to a gritty defensive effort in the second half and huge games from Vivians, McCowan and William."

- Oklahoma State WBB

Oklahoma State quotes
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/okstate.com/documents/2018/3/20/Oklahoma_State_Quotes_3_19.pdf

Mississippi State quotes
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/okstate.com/documents/2018/3/20/Mississippi_State_Quotes_3_20.pdf
slimecap

KANSAS STATE
TCU
WEST VIRGINIA

Current Bracket Link
https://www.womensnit.com/bracket.html
slimecap

Pale Rider
Great.
slimecap

PRE-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE

slimecap

slimecap

POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE

slimecap

POST-GAME
PRESS CONFERENCE

Final
UCLA 84 vs Texas 75

slimecap

slimecap

4th and Inches
She was shooting 80% at one point... had like 26 points at the time. She finished with 33 points.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
slimecap

Hairy Bear
Both TCU and WV advance to the final four in the WNIT. This experience should help TCU develop their young team.
Pale Rider
Hairy Bear said:

Both TCU and WV advance to the final four in the WNIT. This experience should help TCU develop their young team.

Very proud of both teams.
Are these games on TV?
slimecap

Hats off to Krista Pirtle for her in-depth article
about the strengths and struggles of the 2017-18 Baylor WBB season.

Link for 26 March 2018 article
http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/lady_bears_basketball/lady-bears-fight-to-the-finish-of---season/article_851492ce-6727-58aa-87f3-f08c2622828b.html

slimecap
Pale Rider said:

Hairy Bear said:

Both TCU and WV advance to the final four in the WNIT.
Very proud of both teams.
Are these games on TV?
Good morning Brother Pale Rider,
"A free live stream will be provided at WVUsports.com." - WVU WBB website

slimecap
Pale Rider said:

Hairy Bear said:

Both TCU and WV advance to the final four in the WNIT.
Are these games on TV?
Hi Brother Pale Rider,
Here is the 2nd game.

Pale Rider
Thanks sis. Not able to watch the live streaming. But thanks a bunch.
slimecap

whitetrash
slimecap said:

TCU loses to Indiana 71-58, so no BigXII in the finals.
slimecap

COACHING SEARCH

Raoul twitter reporting on a Raider Land article that states
Joe Foley (UALR) may be the leading candidate for the Texas Tech job.
whitetrash
slimecap said:

Raoul twitter reporting on a Raider Land article that states
Joe Foley (UALR) may be the leading candidate for the Texas Tech job.

Any relation to Matt?

slimecap

COACHING SEARCH

Pale Rider
That's tough on Tech. Hard times in Lubbock.
slimecap

COACHING SEARCH

InsiderExposure - JM @InsiderExposure
Hearing Cori Close name for Texas Tech. Someone sent me an article which supposedly confirms that, but it seems the article has been deleted.
8:28 PM - Mar 29, 2018 Columbus, OH

slimecap

FORMER PLAYER
Roshunda Johnson

Mississippi State's Roshunda Johnson (11) vs. Louisville's Asia Durr (25)
2018 NCAA Tournament Semi-Final game on March 30, 2018

2017-18 Redshirt Senior Mississippi State
2016-17 Redshirt Junior Mississippi State
2015-16 Junior
  • Sat out due to NCAA transfer rules following 2 years at Oklahoma State
2014-15 Sophomore Oklahoma State
2013-14 Freshman Oklahoma State

Johnson's Shot sends semi-final game into overtime
"If only you saw the look in Roshunda Johnson's eyes inside the Mississippi State huddle as the play was given, as she was told whether or not her and her fellow seniors' careers would end in the next 11.3 seconds would come down to her taking one shot.

She was 1-of-4 shooting on the day, hadn't made anything in 16 minutes and only a layup before that. She had just missed a makeable shot, just committed a costly turnover. Nobody in Nationwide Arena would have assumed this play was going to Roshunda Johnson. Yet, trailing Louisville 59-56 with seconds left in the Final Four, Vic Schaefer drew up the play for her. And sitting in her chair, surrounded by teammates, Johnson's eyes opened so wide. They seemed so dazed, each possible scenario running through them. Were they surprised or scared or just focused?

But they ran Schaefer's play. Blair Schaefer ran across the floor to distract two defenders. Johnson took off from the free throw line, making it around Teaira McCowan's perfect screen and to the three-point line near the bench. Johnson caught the pass, turned to her left and stopped for just a moment. She was open. She knew she was open.

"When my time came, I had to take it."

The ball went through, touching nothing but the net. As the bench jumped and roared and her teammates quickly celebrated, Johnson seemed the least excited. She did one minuscule fist-pump and immediately ran up to the baseline to defend as 5.7 seconds remained.

Mississippi State held Louisville off those last five seconds to send the game to overtime. The Bulldogs controlled that overtime from start to finish and won 73-63, sending them to the national championship for the second year in a row.

Was Johnson nervous or surprised in that moment?

"Shooters never give up on their shot," she said. "Even when I was missing, I wasn't going to stop shooting."

She didn't seem to feel like the hero in the locker room Friday. She downplayed each attempt to prop up those heroics. Her message seemed to be simply that a shooter takes a shot if it's there, so she took it.

But as Mississippi State went into overtime and sat in yet another one of those huddles, Johnson's eyes looked far different than they did with 11.3 seconds remaining. They looked so confident, so proud. They looked like the eyes of someone who saved her team's season.

"Let's face it," Vic Schaefer said. "It's the biggest shot of the night, of your career, the biggest stage you're ever gonna play on."

It was a play he said they've run multiple times. Sometimes it's for Johnson, sometimes for Blair Schaefer and sometimes for Morgan William. He knew Schaefer would be the focus, and he knew Johnson could finish in the moment.

Because at the end of the day, Johnson is the kind of person who could transfer from Oklahoma State and thrive at a new school. She is the mother who gave birth to a son, Malaki, in 2016 and didn't miss any time the next season. She called herself a nonchalant person.

"I've got a lot of confidence in Roshunda Johnson," Schaefer said.

And after the game, she hugged teammates and staffers. She answered repeated questions from reporters. She didn't even have time to talk to Malaki.

"I'm going to call him when I leave here," she said.

- Brody Miller, Clarion Ledger, 30 March 2018

November 15, 2012

"Roshunda Johnson remembers the conversation she had with Miranda Serna on Nov. 17, 2011.

"We're about to get on a plane," the Oklahoma State women's basketball assistant coach told Johnson, referring to herself and Cowgirl head coach Kurt Budke. "We'll be down there for your game, so be looking for us."

Serna and Budke never made it. The two coaches, along with program supporters Olin and Paula Branstetter, were killed in a plane crash a year ago Saturday while on that recruiting trip to Arkansas, where they were scheduled to scout Johnson and fellow area prep star, Tyler Scaife.

Johnson admits the aftermath of the tragedy was difficult emotionally. Yet she remained connected to the program, and on Wednesday signed her letter of intent to play for the Cowgirls.

"At first, I started off blaming myself," Johnson said. "It was just like, 'Aw, man. They were on their way to come see me, and then that accident happened.' I felt kind of bad. It was kind of hard for me. But I had to remember, at the end of the day, they were still watching you.'"

Johnson, a four-star point guard from Parkview High School in Little Rock, felt a bond with Budke and Serna early in the recruiting process. She'd often call the coaches before practice or games for a pep talk. They'd tell her to get the team pumped up, to keep a level head if things went wrong and to be a leader on the floor.

"We could just get to know each other better," she said. "I felt like they were part of the family."

And a trip to Stillwater in September sealed that she wanted to become an official part of the Cowgirl family. Her official visit to OSU included a steak dinner and plenty of quality time with current players. She spent time on the sideline during the Cowboys' football game against Texas. And during a meeting with coaches, she committed to the Cowgirls.

"When I came up there, it really felt like it was another home for me," Johnson said. "The team just made me feel welcome. Really, it was just all about the people."

Johnson, who is rated the No. 49 overall prospect in the nation by ESPN HoopGurlz, averaged 21 points, six rebounds eight assists and three steals per game as a junior and helped lead Parkview to the Class 6A state title. She describes herself as a hard worker and solid defender who has an ability to shoot the pullup jumper and 3-pointer.

"Getting a commitment from Roshunda, who is one of the top point guards in the country, is a huge plus for our program," Cowgirl coach Jim Littell said. "She is a true winner and does whatever it takes to win."

Johnson appears to be in line to eventually replace Tiffany Bias, who will be a senior next season. But Johnson said she's particularly excited to share the court with Bias, and learn under the Cowgirls' dynamic guard, because of their similar playing styles.

It's been almost a year since Budke and Serna were supposed to be in the stands evaluating Johnson. But Johnson is now looking forward to playing in the arena where Budke and Serna once coached, for the program she always felt linked to.

"I feel like my dreams are actually coming true," Johnson said. "For me to have an opportunity that most people don't have, it's a gift from God."

- Gina Mizell, The Oklahoman
Brian Ethridge
Staff
slimecap

setshot
Howard would be a huge loss for A&M and a terrific addition for any other team. Though undersized, she is one of the most prolific rebounders in collegiate basketball, just relentless, and is a fine defender. She gets a lot of her points on second or third chance opportunities that she creates. I am a huge fan of her game.
BuinmyBlood
setshot said:

Howard would be a huge loss for A&M and a terrific addition for any other team. Though undersized, she is one of the most prolific rebounders in collegiate basketball, just relentless, and is a fine defender. She gets a lot of her points on second or third chance opportunities that she creates. I am a huge fan of her game.
UConn has probably already been in contact with her as a mystery transfer.
slimecap

COACHING SEARCH

Marlene Stollings head coaching career
2014 - + Minnesota 82-47 overall record
2012-14 Virginia Commonwealth
2011-12 Winthrop

2017-18
24-9
Upset Green Bay in 1st round of 2018 NCAA tournament
Lost to Oregon in 2nd round
Green Bay was 1st victory for MN in tournament since 2009 NCAA tournament
whitetrash
slimecap said:

COACHING SEARCH

Marlene Stollings head coaching career
2014 - + Minnesota 82-47 overall record
2012-14 Virginia Commonwealth
2011-12 Winthrop

2017-18
24-9
Upset Green Bay in 1st round of 2018 NCAA tournament
Lost to Oregon in 2nd round
Green Bay was 1st victory for MN in tournament since 2009 NCAA tournament

Tech already has one ex-gopher coach In Their history. They dumpster dived and got Tubby Smith after UM canned him in 2013
slimecap

NEW COACH ANNOUNCED

Marlene Stollings Named Lady Raiders Head Coach

April 9, 2018

Texas Tech Director of Athletics Kirby Hocutt announced Monday the hiring of Marlene Stollings as the seventh head coach of Lady Raider Basketball.

"We're extremely excited to welcome Coach Stollings to the Texas Tech Athletic Family," Hocutt said. "As a head coach, she has experienced tremendous success and has a proven process to return our Lady Raider program back to great heights."

Stollings comes to Lubbock after four seasons at the University of Minnesota. Stollings guided the Gophers to a 67-47 (.588) record, three 20-win seasons and three postseason berths, including a second round NCAA appearance this season.

"I am very proud and honored to be named the head coach at Texas Tech and to be a part of the Big 12 Conference," Stollings said. "I want to thank President Lawrence Schovanec and Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt for this incredible opportunity.

"Texas Tech has a storied tradition of success and I am eager to return this program to national prominence. We will play a fun, up-tempo style of basketball that student-athletes will enjoy and the fans will find exciting to watch. This is a thrilling day for me and my family, and I cannot wait to coach and recruit 'Fearless Champions'."

A press conference to formally introduce Stollings is scheduled for Wednesday at 4 p.m. CT in the City Bank Room at the United Supermarkets Arena. Fans are welcome and encouraged to attend. Free parking is available in the north, south and west arena lots with seating available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Doors will open at 3:15 p.m. CT.

This season, Stollings' squad reached the NCAA Tournament for the second time in four years and the 10th time in program history. The team broke several school records including points (2,803), points per game (84.9), field goals made (997), and fewest turnovers (412) in a season. Also set a new school record for most 3-pointers made (297) and field goal attempts (2,304). The Gophers tied the school record with four wins over top-25 teams this year.

Last season, Stollings led the Golden Gophers to the second round of the NCAA Tournament where they lost to No. 2-seed Oregon. Minnesota marked its 10thappearances in the tournament and finished the season with a 24-9 record, its most wins and best winning percentage (.727) in 13 years.

In 2014-15, Stollings had one of the best seasons of any first-year head coach in Minnesota history. She led the Golden Gophers to a 23-10 record (11-7 Big Ten) and to their first NCAA Tournament appearance in six years. Big Ten Player of the Year Amanda Zahui B. was chosen second in the WNBA Draft, and fellow All-Big Ten selection Shae Kelley was picked 35th.

Minnesota went 20-12 (11-7 Big Ten) in 2015-16 and advanced to the second round of the WNIT. For the first time in seven years, the Golden Gophers turned in back-to-back winning conference records. Rachel Banham compiled a prolific senior season as the consensus Big Ten Player of the Year, a Wooden Award top-five finalist and the fourth pick in the WNBA Draft.

Prior to taking over the reins at Minnesota, Stollings was the head coach at VCU for two seasons. While there, she led the Rams to a 33-29 record. During the 2013-14 season, the team posted a 22-10 overall record and earned a berth in the 2014 WNIT. VCU's 22 wins were the third-most in program history and gave the Rams just their sixth 20-win season in school history.

Before VCU, Stollings led a one-year resurgence at Winthrop University in 2011-12, where the Eagles posted just their second winning season (18-13) in the last 26 years of the program. She was selected 2012 Big South Conference Coach of the Year in her first year as a collegiate head coach.

Stollings served as an assistant at Ole Miss from 2007-10 before being promoted to associate head coach in 2010-11. Her illustrious coaching career includes stops at Saint Louis (2005-07), Wright State (2003-04) and New Mexico State (2001-03).

Stollings began her collegiate coaching career at Jacksonville as an assistant coach (2000-01).

Prior to starting her coaching career, Stollings played one season professionally for Club ABB Baden in Switzerland. She was later invited to the WNBA's Utah Starzz training camp in 1999.

Stollings, who was inducted into the Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame in May 2015, began her collegiate playing career at Ohio State University. She was a two-time scholar athlete for the Buckeyes. Stollings then transferred to Ohio University where she earned first-team All-Mid-American Conference honors after finishing eighth in the nation and leading the league in scoring at 22.9 points per game her senior year.

A native of Beaver, Ohio, Stollings graduated in 1998 from Ohio University where she earned a bachelor's degree in business administration in marketing and a bachelor of science degree in sport industry.

- Texas Tech WBB website
whitetrash
slimecap said:

A native of Beaver, Ohio, Stollings graduated in 1998 from Ohio University
A gopher from Beaver?

She must have some huuuuuge incisors.
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.