Big 12 happenings

1,134,141 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

MEREDITH BURKHALL

August 1, 2018

"What was supposed to be a quiet few days off for senior forward Meredith Burkhall took a scary and life-altering turn. While No. 32 is on pace to be back on the court come November, the past two months have brought many physical challenges that have changed her life and perspective heading into the 2018-19 season.

Burkhall had just wrapped up the spring semester and returned to her Urbandale, Iowa home for a much-deserved break for the month of May. Just two days into the break she awoke to find herself unable to walk.

After her mother, Stephanie, rushed home, they went to a chiropractor believing she needed to be readjusted and that it was a back issue. It was clear rather quickly that wasn't the issue so her mother drove her straight to the emergency room.

"I could barely stand up, my leg felt like it was falling asleep randomly," Burkhall said of her leg when she arrived at the hospital.

Burkhall would go through hours of tests, and with doctors unable to find anything she was nearly sent home. The Burkhall's decided it was best to stay at the hospital to continue to look into what was causing her immobility. Finally, a late-night ultrasound at her parents' request revealed the issue.

"I got back to the room after the ultrasound and I could barely get back in the bed. There were three people in white coats running into my room saying that I had this massive blood clot and that they needed to treat it immediately because it was heading north towards my lungs and heart," Burkhall recalled.

Link for the entire article
https://cyclonesidebar.wordpress.com/2018/08/01/burkhall-bouncing-back-after-summer-health-scare/
Bone Squad
Scary. Reminds me of Jordan Davis.
slimecap

GULF COAST SHOWCASE

Nov 23-25, 2018

Updated clues for possible opponents versus the Longhorns.

The Gulf Coast Showcase is a 3-game championship tournament
that will break into 2 brackets for the first 2 games

First 2 games for Texas bracket
Possible opponents are Missouri, Michigan or Quinnipiac

3rd game is the Tournament Championship
Possible opponent is Ball State, Duke, Fordham or Washington

The brackets will officially be released in August.
slimecap

2018-19 NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE
UPDATE 9 Aug 2018

Nov 09 Niagara Preseason WNIT
Nov 11 Preseason WNIT
Nov 13-15 Preseason WNIT
Nov 18 Preseason WNIT championship game
Nov 28 @ USouth Dakota
Dec 02 Arkansas BIG 12 / SEC Challenge
Dec 05 @ Iowa
Dec 09 UNorth Dakota

2018 WNIT Iowa State Matchups
Round 1 Niagara
Round 2 Possible opponent if Iowa State wins Round 1
Northern Illinois or Yale
Semifinals Possible opponent if Iowa State wins Round 2
Auburn, New Mexico, Nicholls State or Texas State
Championship Possible opponent if Iowa State wins Semifinal
Delaware, Hartford, Marquette, Miami FL,
Montana State, Morgan State, Northern Iowa or Stephen F Austin

2018 Preseason WNIT field
ACC Miami America East Hartford Big 12 Iowa State Big East Marquette
Big Sky Montana State Colonial Delaware Ivy Yale MAAC Niagara
MAC Northern Illinois MEAC Morgan State MVC Northern Iowa MWC New Mexico
SEC Auburn Southland Nicholls State Southland Stephen F Austin Sun Belt Texas State
slimecap

2019 RECRUITING FINALIST

Rickea Jackson

slimecap

Released 8 Aug 2018

Nov 09 Jacksonville State
Nov 11 Univ Louisiana Monroe
Nov 17 Idaho
Nov 20 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Nov 24 Houston Baptist
Nov 28 Stephen F Austin
Dec 02 @ Florida Big 12/SEC Challenge
Dec 15 @ Nevada
Dec 18 Southern University
Dec 22 Texas Southern
Dec 29 Abilene Christian
slimecap

2018 SOUTH POINT THANKSGIVING SHOOTOUT
Update 8 August 2018

Nov 23 South Dakota State vs Baylor
Nov 23 Hartford vs Southern Illinois University
Nov 23 Arizona State vs Louisville
Nov 23 Buffalo vs Georgetown
Nov 24 Buffalo vs South Dakota State
Nov 24 Georgetown vs Baylor
Nov 24 Arizona State vs Southern Illinois University
Nov 24 Hartford vs Louisville
BiPolarBear
http://www.amestrib.com/sports/20180809/womens-basketball-another-joens-commits-to-iowa-state

IOWA STATE

Another Joens commits to Iowa State

The high school junior chooses to play alongside sister

Aubrey Joens, the younger sister of ISU freshman Ashley Joens, committed to Iowa State on Thursday.

The guard averaged 12.9 points per game and shot 36 percent from three as a sophomore for Iowa City High.

Most recently, she helped the All Iowa Attack win a Nike national championship in July, with fellow 2020 ISU commit Kylie Feuerbach.

Rounding out the class is Wisconsin native Lexi Donarski, also a guard.

Aubrey Joens will be the third Joens sister to play Division I basketball; her older sister, Courtney, is an Illinois junior. Aubrey and Ashley should have two years of overlap as ISU players.

In late July, at an Attack tournament, the youngest Joens indicated she would enjoy playing in college with Ashley. The two combined to average 43.6 points per game this year and led Iowa City High to a state championship appearance.

"We've always gotten along and know each other's game. We like playing together, so I think it would be fun," she told the Ames Tribune.
BiPolarBear
http://www.big12blognetwork.com/texas-longhorns/new-look-joyner-holmes-embracing-junior-year-at-texas/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

New-look Joyner Holmes embracing junior year at Texas

Staff / August 9, 2018

Joyner Holmes dribbled around a pair of defenders, pulled up for a 12-foot jumper, and nailed it.
And then she smiled.

Buckets and grins were in short supply for the Texas junior last season. She missed summer and fall camps and was suspended for the first 10 games of the year after committing a university violation.

The 6-3 forward has been on a mission to regain the form that helped her earn Big 12 Freshman of the Year honors two years ago. After Wednesday's two-hour practice at Cooley Pavilion the team's final workout of the summer she spoke about the upcoming season with passion and hope.

The Longhorns, who have welcomed a strong freshman class, completed six weeks of summer training by utilizing different lineups. Holmes will be part of an improved and deep group of front-court players when the season begins Nov. 8 with a home game against Duquesne.

"Having a full summer to work out is something I didn't have in my first two years here," she said. "It's meant a lot to me to have this summer. I've shaved a few pounds. We're all moving a little faster."

Working with Texas strength and conditioning coach Zack Zillner, Holmes said she lost 13 pounds since the end of last season. She followed that by gaining eight pounds of muscle.

Karen Aston said Holmes is on pace to becoming a major contributor again. After averaging 12.1 points and 8.2 rebounds a game as a freshman, she dropped to 6.8 points and six rebounds as a sophomore.

"Joyner had a hard time getting comfortable last year," the Longhorns coach said. "She was just thrown into conference play. You can't get around when someone doesn't get the reps. I've said many times there is a reason that we practice."

Despite the loss to 6-7 freshman center Sedona Prince, who broke her right leg while playing for the United States in the FIBA Americas Under-18 Championship last Friday in Mexico City, the Longhorns will have a strong front line.

Joining Holmes in the post are 6-4 senior Jatarie White, 6-3 senior Olamide Aborowa and 6-5 freshman Charli Collier.

The most notable newcomer is Collier, ranked as the No. 2 high school prospect in the country last year by ESPN. White joked that Collier has adjusted quickly because she "threw a few elbows" in Wednesday's practice.

Sug Sutton, who takes over for Brooke McCarty as the team's starting point guard, has been the most vocal player in camp, Aston said. She will be joined in the backcourt by shooting guard Lashann Higgs, who vowed to become a leader during her senior year.

The most improved players in burnt orange are sophomores Destiny Littleton and Chasity Patterson. Aston said the progress they have shown this summer is "miraculous."

Another newcomer who will make an impact is Danni Williams, who stunned onlookers when she made a 65-foot shot while warming up for practice. A graduate transfer from Texas A&M, the left-handed guard set a single-season Aggies record with 70 three-point baskets last year.

Aston was asked if she was reluctant to allow someone from A&M to play for Texas.
"She's from New Mexico, so I'm not considering her an Aggie."
Florda_mike
^^^ That Aggie quote by Aston is hilarious even though it's UT

slimecap

Released 9 Aug 2018

Nov 06 Duquesne
Nov 11 Mississippi Valley State
Nov 18 SMU
Nov 23 vs BYU @ SDSU Thanksgiving Classic San Diego CA
Nov 24 @ San Diego State SDSU Thanksgiving Classic San Diego CA
Nov 29 @ Ole Miss BIG 12 / SEC Challenge
Dec 02 Army
Dec 08 Montana State
Dec 16 Southern University
Dec 20 Sam Houston State
Dec 29 Alcorn State
slimecap

RECRUITING

The resume, the sell and the challenges
How K-State women's basketball seeks out the best

"A recruit's resume is like that of a job applicant. Multiple areas combine to create a package coaches can evaluate. These on-court candidates are judged mainly on performance, character and academics, two which can be judged accurately and consistently.

But that character part? That's tricky. To delve into that, coaches must refer to the references section, and that's where the difficulty comes.

Just like a job candidate, an athlete's best references will most assuredly praise them when college coaches call. Everyone is "the best." Everyone has a "terrific work ethic." Everyone is "coachable."

"Nobody wants to be the one to hurt a kid's opportunities," Kansas State women's basketball head coach Jeff Mittie said as he sat in his office in the Ice Family Basketball Center.

This is just one reason recruiting is so hit or miss. It can be tough to truly gauge a kid's character. Mittie, who chuckled as he explained this issue, said getting around it can take a bit of work.

Mittie might ask coaches "If she's a senior, why isn't she a captain?" in an attempt to find potential red flags. Or he and his staffers could seek opinions of other coaches in a league, those who coached against a recruit they may be pursuing.

Sometimes, if a kid has transferred, college coaches speak with the coach from the first school. But even then, they must be careful and cautious because that former coach could be bitter that a talented player departed.

Continue reading the article
http://themercury.com/k_state_sports/the-r-sum-the-sell-and-the-challenges-how-k/article_508dcd81-1056-5666-8858-8be552c1e009.html
BiPolarBear
http://www.amestrib.com/sports/20180809/womens-basketball-cyclones-depart-for-week-in-costa-rica

By Hayes Gardner Staff Writer hgardner@amestrib.com
Posted Aug 9, 2018 at 7:09 PMUpdated Aug 9, 2018 at 9:35 PM

Soon, Iowa State women's basketball will be living the pura vida.

For a week starting today, the Cyclones will be in Costa Rica, splitting time between San Jos, the capital and largest city, and Los Sueos, a beautiful coastal area which translates to "the dreams."

"You always tell student-athletes when you recruit them and talk about it, that these are the experiences that probably they'll remember more than games they won and things like that," ISU coach Bill Fennelly said Thursday.

Of course, they'll be playing basketball, too.

On Saturday, Sunday and Monday, ISU will play three exhibitions against the University of Ottawa, the Costa Rican National Team and then the University of Ottawa, again.

Going on an international trip does enable teams to practice 10 times and then get extra competitive court time, but Fennelly called that aspect of it "overrated."

He especially mentioned how four potential starters have not been even playing with the team. Both Bridget. Carleton and Ashley Joens have been out of the country competing for their respective national teams. Alexa Middleton is nursing a minor knee injury, and Meredith Burkhall had a serious health concern this summer.
Middleton and Burkhall will not play in Costa Rica, while Carleton and Joens are likely to play sparingly.
Instead, Fennelly thinks the trip will benefit the team from a cohesiveness standpoint.

"The biggest thing is the chemistry that they get," Fennelly said. "I mean, we play three games, but it's all the other stuff. They're gonna spend time together, get to know each other better. Because when you look at our roster, half of our roster is new to our team, so that part of it maybe gives you a four-, five-week jumpstart.

"What they'd normally go through in September, we're going through it now. You just hope you don't get tired of each other too soon."

For some Cyclones, such as Joens, traveling internationally is an entirely new experience. Her recent trip to Mexico was her first time out of the country.

But for others, such as Sweden native Adriana Camber, global travel is old hat. She can't name how many countries she's been to, but noted that it's "basically everywhere in Europe."

"I like to travel," she said. "I do that a lot."

Despite her full passport, she said she is unfamiliar with the Central American country.

(I know) nothing. I'm so excited. I know about the volcanoes, so I'm a little scared, but that's gonna be fun," she said, noting the Costa Rica's majestic but active volcanoes.

With so many players not practicing, Camber, a junior and returning starter, said she's started to step into a leadership role.

"We have some hurt players," Camber said. "None of the seniors are practicing right now. As a junior, that's kind of your role. Nia (Washington)'s been hurt, too, so I'm basically the oldest one."

In Costa Rica, the entire team will be united for the first time. After the three exhibitions, the team has plans to tour the capital city, visit an orphanage and zipline.

"It'll be a fun trip," Fennelly said. "It'll be a good way to end the summer and then come back and get excited and get ready to go to Jack Trice and watch some football."
geewago
slimecap said:

Released 8 Aug 2018

Nov 09 Jacksonville State
Nov 11 Univ Louisiana Monroe
Nov 17 Idaho
Nov 20 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Nov 24 Houston Baptist
Nov 28 Stephen F Austin
Dec 02 @ Florida Big 12/SEC Challenge
Dec 15 @ Nevada
Dec 18 Southern University
Dec 22 Texas Southern
Dec 29 Abilene Christian

Talk about some CUPCAKES
Florda_mike
Keep an eye on this new coach over next few years

That schedule has a purpose, long term imo
Wichitabear
I agree. She is in rebuild mode.
Florda_mike
Wichitabear said:

I agree. She is in rebuild mode.

Yep, when she has players on team that are only her recruits(4ish years) we will see

She just wants to beg borrow and steal wins now in order to recruit for future

Doesn't hurt to have teams like UT pushing Lady Bears, to get better, in conference
Wichitabear
Exactly. We gotta stay on our toes because I don't want to ever lose to TT!
slimecap

TIMELINE FOR NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE CONSTRUCTION

20 Apr 2017 Shimmy Gray-Miller hired as assistant coach
01 Jan 2018 Candi Whitaker fired as head coach
01 Jan 2018 Shimmy Gray-Miller named as interim head coach
09 Apr 2018 Marlene Stollings named head coach
08 Aug 2018 Non-conference schedule released

Non-conference schedules are often developed a year in advance of their release date.
It would be interesting to know:
.. which games were already negotiated prior to April 9, 2018
.. which games were possibly changed after April 9, 2018
Florda_mike
slimecap said:

SCHEDULING TIMELINE

20 Apr 2017 Shimmy Gray-Miller hired as assistant coach
01 Jan 2018 Candi Whitaker fired as head coach
01 Jan 2018 Shimmy Gray-Miller named as interim head coach

Non-conference schedules are often developed a year in advance of their release date.

So can you address the last 2 statements above?

Which games were changed?
slimecap
Florda_mike said:

slimecap said:

So can you address the last 2 statements above?
Which games were changed?
I do not know. That is why I wrote the phrase "It would be interesting to know".

In my WBB reading, I have not seen an article that addressed which of the 3 head coaches selected certain games. I have not even seen a casual sentence buried in an article such as "Coach Gray-Miller mentioned that Texas Tech will be playing College XYZ in non-conference next year".

A Texas Tech fan forum member has posted the non-conference schedule as a thread. At this point, the thread has no replies.
Link
https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Board/102953/Contents/Non-Conference-Schedule-Released-120509337/

Interesting to note Texas Tech did not schedule a neutral site MTE (Multi-Team Event). All but 2 games are home games. One of the 2 away games was scheduled by the BIG 12 conference, not the coach.
Florda_mike
Just a note .....

Only Big 12 teams to win NC is Tx A&M with 1 and Baylor with 2

Old SWC got 2 NCs with UT in 80s and the Tech with Sheryl Swoops around '93ish I think

Mulkey was a VERY loud and chatty pig tailed Louisiana Techster that won one in 80s too

Idk how much I'd care for Women's Basketball if not for Mulkey and Swoopes with an Honorable Mention for Suzie Snyder(sp?)

Suzie was great Trackster in Field(weight) events too
slimecap

KANSAS STATE
"Challenge of Creating a Non-Conference Schedule"

June 22, 2018

"Brian Ostermann always has a plan. As the point man for Kansas State's women's basketball non-conference schedule each season, Ostermann has to fit varying pieces together perfectly. No two are the same.

"The puzzle has to fit your team, but your puzzle also has to meet the goals you have for your program," Ostermann, K-State's associate head coach, said at a Catbacker Tour event in Wellington. "Every program is at different stages."

After the Wildcats made the WNIT during Ostermann's first season with the program in 2014-15, he sat down with head coach Jeff Mittie. The purpose: to ensure K-State avoided a similar fate going forward.

The WNIT - though the Wildcats made a run to the event's Round of 16 last season - is never the goal.

"Our strategy has been and will continue to be to put together a schedule that will allow us to get in the NCAA Tournament each and every year," Ostermann said. "We don't want the NCAA Tournament committee to come back and look at your RPI, or (say), 'Well, you didn't play any road games' or something like that."

The trickiest part of the scheduling Rubik's Cube is the inability to tell the future.

Ostermann "typically" schedules 18 months out. By the time K-State's fall semester starts, Ostermann said he'll already be done with the 2019-20 non-conference slate. So an opponent that looks solid on paper now might not be in fall 2019.

"You don't always know what other teams are going to be like," he said, before noting he'll still attempt to nail down the 2019-20 non-conference schedule as soon as possible. "That's my strategy: Let's get that done so I can focus on our team when the season gets here - and that's a tricky puzzle."

And looking to the coming season, Ostermann is pleased with the non-Big 12 foes he was able to find. It includes five games against foes that made it to the NCAA Tournament last season. One is a neutral-site contest against Arizona State in La Crosse Wisconsin. At the Cancun Challenge, K-State faces three NCAA Tournament teams Syracuse, DePaul and Princeton in as many days.

"Syracuse was in the Final Four a couple years ago," he said. "DePaul is averaging more than 25 wins a year the last decade or longer. Princeton is a great program."

In the Big 12/SEC Challenge, K-State is pitted against Vanderbilt on Dec. 2. Though the Commodores won only seven games last season, Ostermann said the Wildcats can't take them lightly.

"It's been a great women's basketball women's basketball program over the years," he said. "They're coming in here to Bramlage Coliseum, and I think that's a marquee game."

Ostermann is also eager for a pair of contests versus non-Power 5 opponents.

"We have Northern Iowa coming back again. They picked us off last year, so that'll be in the back of our minds," Ostermann said. "And we've got Arkansas-Little Rock. (Head) coach (Joe) Foley down there has been in the NCAA Tournament every year he's coached in his life."

Next season, Ostermann said, won't be easy. But he wouldn't have it any other way.

"It's going to be a great challenge," he said, "with some really good mid-majors alongside the Power 5 teams we're playing."

- Ryan Black, The Mercury

Link for Kansas State 2018-19 Non-Conference Schedule
12:32p, 6/11/18
slimecap

GULF COAST SHOWCASE

Nov 23-25, 2018

UPDATE 17 Aug 2018

Nov 23 Quinnipiac
Nov 24 Michigan or Missouri
Nov 25 Possible championship opponent is Ball State, Duke, Fordham or Washington

--------------------------------------------
Nov 23 Ball State vs Fordham
Nov 23 Duke vs Washington

The official brackets will be released in August.
slimecap

SEPTEMBER PRACTICE

"Baylor will gear up for the 2018-19 season with official practice beginning September 25."

- Baylor WBB website, 11 Aug 2018
Scottdye
Do we know when the first Exhibition game will be?
bowdedg
Scottdye said:

Do we know when the first Exhibition game will be?
First open practice is 9/25.

First exhibition game will be October 26th.
Wichitabear
slimecap

WNBA
Danielle Robinson

"Point guard Danielle Robinson underwent ankle surgery Monday and is out indefinitely. Robinson was injured in the second quarter of Thursday's game against Las Vegas. Originally diagnosed with a high ankle sprain, the ankle which had bothered her much of the season ultimately needed surgery.

With Robinson out indefinitely, the Lynx waived forward Endy Miyem, making room on the roster to sign a backup guard. The Lynx are expected to sign free agent guard Sydney Colson Tuesday.

The 5-8 Colson, 29, has appeared in 112 games with nine starts in four WNBA seasons. After helping lead Texas A&M to the 2011 title, Colson was taken by Connecticut with the 16th pick in that year's draft."

- Rana L. Cash, Star Tribune, 14 Aug 2018
slimecap

HEAD COACH
Mike Carey

10 August 2018

"Mike Carey was honored at his alma mater, Salem University, on Friday as the Tigers unveiled a new floor named in his honor at T. Edward Davis Gymnasium.

A native of nearby Clarksburg, West Virginia, Carey scored more than 2,000 points for the Tigers before graduating in 1980. He continues to rank near the top of Salem's career scoring leaders and is also a career free-throw percentage leader. He was the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference's (WVIAC) leading scorer in 1978, a member of the 1979 WVIAC All-Tournament team and the 1977 WVIAC Freshman of the Year.

Carey began his collegiate coaching career as an assistant at Salem in 1981, taking the reins of the men's program in 1988. His teams made two NAIA and seven NCA Division II postseason appearances and claimed five WVIAC Championships and three WVIAC Tournament Championships, suffering just one losing campaign during his tenure. The Tigers twice made the Elite Eight and earned a trip to the Final Four in 1997. Leading his team to a No. 1 national ranking in two seasons, Carey earned four WVIAC Coach of the Year awards to go with a pair of NCAA Division II East Region Coach of the Year accolades.

Capping his career at Salem with a 288-102 overall record, Carey was inducted into the Salem Hall of Fame in 1992."

- WVU WBB website
Bone Squad
I know that I'm...

...but I've been saying for years that we should have the Kim Mulkey Court at the Ferrell Center. Maybe they are saving it for the fabled new basketball arena.
Wichitabear
slimecap

RECRUITING
2019 Tiara Young

"Walker High basketball player Tiara Young has narrowed down her recruiting to six finalists: Houston, LSU, Miami, Ole Miss, TCU and Texas Tech.

"I looked at all the coaches and the rosters of the schools, trying to figure out where I would fit in the best and be able to make an impact," Young said. "My goal make visits and to sign in November before the season starts. I already have three visits set."

The 5-foot-9 Young will visit Houston on Sept. 7 and also has visits with TCU and LSU set for next month. She is in her first year at WHS. Young is a four-star prospect who led Shreveport's Evangel Christian to the Division I semifinals last March. Young averaged 27.2 points and 12 rebounds and was voted the Class 5A MVP."

- Robin Fambrough, Baton Rouge Advocate, 15 Aug 2018
slimecap

UPDATE 17 Aug 2018

Nov xx Western Kentucky Date is 2nd game of season for WKU
Nov 18 @ USF
Nov 22 UAB @ Junkanoo Jam/Junkanoo Division in Bimiini, Bahamas
Nov 22 Clemson vs Tennessee @ Junkanoo Jam/Junkanoo Division
Nov 23 Loser #1 vs Loser #2 @ Junkanoo Jam/Junkanoo Division
Nov 24 Winner #1 vs Winner #2 @ Junkanoo Jam/Junkanoo Division
Nov 28 @ New Mexico
Dec 02 @ Auburn BIG 12 / SEC Challenge
Dec 19 UConn
Dec 22 @ SMU
slimecap

RAEGAN PEBLEY

21 Half Court Zone Defense

First Page Last Page
Page 27 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.