Big 12 happenings

1,133,801 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

2018 MEDIA DAY

What part of your game did you work on this offseason that you're excited to show the fans this year?

BAY Kalani Brown I worked on more of an outside shot this year, hopefully I can show the fans more of a pick and pop look this year.

ISU Bridget Carleton Being a consistent outside shooter!

TEX Joyner Holmes In the offseason I worked mainly on my defense post and guarding outside, as well as my mid-range jumper along with the 3-ball as well.. Also using my voice more and talking to my team on and off the court.

TCU Amy Okonkwo Everything. I'm positionless, it's a surprise.

WVU Tynice Martin Since I've been hurt I've been working more on my ball handling skills and jumping ability. Can't wait to snatch rebounds this season.
slimecap

2019 RECRUITING ELIMINATION

slimecap

2018 MEDIA DAY

Since I think all of you are reading to the kids at the school today ...
what was your favorite book as a kid?

BAY Kalani Brown Green Eggs and Ham Dr. Seuss
TEX Joyner Holmes Junie B. Jones Barbara Park
TCU Amy Okonkwo Junie B. Jones Barbara Park
WVU Tynice Martin NO David David Shannon
slimecap

BIG 12 PRESEASON POLL HISTORY

Season Preseason Selection BIG 12 Champion

1996-97 Poll Not Conducted Kansas
1997-98 Texas Tech Texas Tech
1998-99 Kansas Texas Tech
1999-00 Iowa State Iowa State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma
2000-01 Iowa State Oklahoma
2001-02 Oklahoma Oklahoma
2002-03 Texas Tech Texas
2003-04 Texas Texas, Kansas State
2004-05 Texas Baylor
2005-06 Baylor Oklahoma
2006-07 Oklahoma Texas A&M, Oklahoma
2007-08 Texas A&M Kansas State
2008-09 Oklahoma Oklahoma
2009-10 Baylor Nebraska
2010-11 Baylor Baylor
2011-12 Baylor Baylor
2012-13 Baylor Baylor
2013-14 Oklahoma Baylor, West Virginia
2014-15 Texas Baylor
2015-16 Baylor Baylor
2016-17 Baylor Baylor
2017-18 Poll Not Conducted Baylor
2018-19 Baylor
slimecap

2020 VERBAL REOPENS RECRUITMENT

Oct 24, 2018

Oct 12, 2018

"San Antonio high school girls basketball star Deja Kelly has transferred to Duncanville High School from Johnson High School. Kelly is a four-star recruit and one of the top point guards in the country.

Kelly's mother, Theresa Nunn, told KSAT she moved her family to Duncanville after she accepted a job in the area. Duncanville has one of the top girls basketball teams in the country."

- R J Marquez, KSAT 12
slimecap

2019 RECRUITING ELIMINATION

6-2 F Rickea Jackson

"Where Jackson ends up at college is still a mystery, but she has narrowed her list to Mississippi State, Rutgers and South Carolina. Schools that were previously under consideration include Louisville, Tennessee, Ohio State and Texas."

- Walter Villa, espn, 25 Oct 2018
BaylorBearWBBFan
ESPNW #19 6'6 Kennedy Brown has committed to Oregon State. Chose the Beavers over UCLA, Oklahoma, and Oregon. Baylor was in her top 6 before being eliminated. This has to be the first time we lost two recruits to Oregon State (Taylor Jones being the other in 2019).
57Bear
BaylorBearWBBFan said:

ESPNW #19 6'6 Kennedy Brown has committed to Oregon State. Chose the Beavers over UCLA, Oklahoma, and Oregon. Baylor was in her top 6 before being eliminated. This has to be the first time we lost two recruits to Oregon State (Taylor Jones being the other in 2019).
Oregon state already had a commitment from post Taylor Jones from Dallas Christian.
ckilpatrick
Kind of surprising with all the bigs they have this year. They have two freshman this year who are 6'9 and I think 6'7
mimi25408
So Kennedy stated she drop Baylor because they wanted her to play with her back to the basket. I know that she had said before that she didnt want to play the post position. I believe said baylor would put her at the 4. She picked OSU because the coach said she would play the " 3 " position. Honestly I'm anxious to she her play as a 6'6 at the 3 guard. In my opinion she is good but I dont see her doing well at that position. To be a 3 you have to be able to guard a pure three perimeter player. It will be interesting to see if he keeps his promise to her.
Wichitabear
Wow
BaylorBearWBBFan
I looked at their roster and 6'9 and 6'7 freshman are apart if their 2018 class. Also have the 6'8" JUCO senior but she didn't impress when we played them last year. We reportedly showed interest in the 6'7" one (Patricia Morris) but she was extremely under the radar.
slimecap

TCU & TEXAS TECH RECRUITING ELIMINATION

2019 Tiara Young makes a verbal commit to LSU.

"She whittled her schools down to six finalists in August, with LSU, TCU, Miami, Houston, Texas Tech and Ole Miss making the list. LSU and TCU were her finalists"

- Rob DeArmond, livingstonparishnews.com, 27 Oct 2018
slimecap

"The Big 12 Conference announced that the Phillips 66 Women's Basketball Tournament will return to Kansas City from 2021-24 after reaching a new agreement.

Last season it was announced
the tournament would return to Kansas City for 2020 ...
but the new agreement extends the stay through 2024.

"I was thrilled to hear that the Big 12 tournament will return to Kansas City in 2020, head coach Bill Fennelly said. "I know this is exciting for our amazing fans as they will get to enjoy a week of Big 12 basketball that will feature both the men's and women's teams. I know KC will do a great job of putting on the premier postseason tournament in the country which will provide a great experience for the student-athletes and fans."

Municipal Auditorium has hosted the Phillips 66 Women's Championship each year that it has been played in Kansas City and will continue to do so through the term of the new agreement. Since the Big 12 women last played in Municipal Auditorium, it has undergone $5 million in renovations to include new video boards, LED scorer's table, sound system, lighting, electrical upgrades and lower level seating.

This season's Big 12 tournament will take place in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, before returning to Kansas City for the next five seasons."

- Iowa State WBB, 29 Oct 2018
slimecap

VIVIAN GRAY

slimecap

West Point cadets storm the court and carry head coach Maggie Dixon.
Army won the Patriot League conference tournament to earn the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

MAGGIE DIXON CLASSIC

TCU and Army have announced that their Dec. 2 women's basketball game at Ed & Rae Schollmaier Arena in Fort Worth has been designated the 13th annual Maggie Dixon Classic.

The Maggie Dixon Classic has been played annually since 2006 in honor of the late Maggie Dixon, sister of TCU men's head coach Jamie Dixon. Maggie died on April 6, 2006 of a heart arrhythmia, just weeks after leading Army West Point to its first NCAA Tournament.

"I'm very excited that TCU will host this year's Maggie Dixon Classic, which is the premier event in women's college basketball," Dixon said. "It's extra special for me and my family that the game will be against Army, where Maggie coached and where the first Classic was played. It's the perfect situation and I know TCU will make it a great event."

"It's an honor to be a part of anything that Maggie Dixon's name is associated with," TCU head coach Raegan Pebley said. "Maggie represented everything that is great about sport, and definitely women's basketball. Her infectious enthusiasm, commitment to the game and her servant-leadership are almost unparalleled. We are thankful for the opportunity to be involved with the Maggie Dixon Classic for the second year in a row."

The Classic began in 2006 when the inaugural event was played at Christl Arena on Army West Point's campus. Jamie's Pittsburgh men's team played in that first Classic, as did Maggie's Army women's team. The event has since been played exclusively between women's teams.

After the inaugural event at Christl Arena, the Maggie Dixon Classic was played at Madison Square Garden for nine straight seasons, through 2015. It was then played at St. John's Carnesecca Arena during the 2016-17 season when the Red Storm hosted DePaul, where Maggie was an assistant coach before becoming Army West Point's head coach.

TCU and Texas A&M took part in the event last season at Reed Arena in College Station, Texas, on Dec. 6, 2017. The Maggie Dixon Classic has produced the eventual national champion four times.

TCU and Army will tip off at 2 p.m. CT on Dec. 2 with the game being broadcast on HFTV on GoFrogs.com.

- TCU WBB website, 26 Oct 2018
Chibears2
I guess since TCU head coach Jamie Dixon is her brother, this makes sense. Glad to see it continued. I still remember seeing BG play in that first(?) classic in Madison Square Garden, my first ever trip to NY.
slimecap
slimecap
Tuesday, Nov 06

Duquesne @ TCU 12:00 PM CT
Coppin State @ West Virginia 6:00 PM CT
Nicholls @ Baylor 6:00 PM CT

slimecap
Tuesday, Nov 06

Duquesne 48 @ TCU 61
https://gofrogs.com/news/2018/11/6/womens-basketball-frogs-roll-past-duquesne-in-season-opener-61-48.aspx

Coppin State 37 @ West Virginia 78
https://wvusports.com/news/2018/11/6/womens-basketball-davenport-martin-lead-wvu-in-season-opener.aspx

Nicholls 39 @ Baylor 100
https://baylorbears.com/news/2018/11/6/womens-basketball-no-4-5-wbb-rolls-to-100-39-victory-in-season-opener.aspx?path=wbball
slimecap
Wednesday, Nov 07

UMKansas City @ Kansas 7:00 PM CT
slimecap
Wednesday, Nov 07

UMKansas City 55 @ Kansas 67

Link
https://kuathletics.com/news/2018/11/7/womens-basketball-kansas-opens-2018-19-with-victory-over-umkc.aspx
slimecap
Thursday, Nov 08

Saint Francis (PA) @ Baylor 7:00 PM CT
Duquesne @ Texas 7:00 PM CT

gone to Tickfaw
Sports is entertainment. Watching a top 5 premiere women's team play low tier competition is like watching the Mavericks play Dallas Baptist. Nothing can be gained from this type of ocs except failing to reach the final four six years in a row because Kalani and Lauren are never challenged in the paint until the elite 8. And we believe we are that good. Kim needs an acs with only p5 schools. She at least needs to run an offense that practices outside shooting in the game. See u at UCOnn n Texas. With my earplugs. The noise is deafening. Not from fans, but from the music. You may call me negative, but I know a few families who haven't renewed season tickets because of the ocs.
zt1014
So ASU, Stanford, UConn, and South Carolina isn't good enough?

All schools player lower tier schools. UConn has to have one of the toughest Non Conf because the conference is so weak.
gone to Tickfaw
@ ZT. are my season tickets good at South Carolina, Stanford & Arizona... Or do they include transport?
gone to Tickfaw
also... I've been a fan of WCBB since 1979, and saw Kim play four years at LA Tech. WCBB is still a sport that lacks a huge fan base. We need matchups. Competition. I do think that the top tier teams in the top 5, maybe top 8, should not schedule powder puffs. It merely adds scorn to the discussion. Believe me, I've been in many of them. All of the discussions on this board about how the team looks and how good someone is are futile when we play such competition.
zt1014
Well you gripe about the schedule but they have to have road games. You say we lose in in playoffs because they are untested. Well you get more points when they are on the road. True fans just support no matter what. If you want them to win it all, then this schedule will help them do that. Can't always have the best schedules for the fans. The fans want championships and they demand a good schedule. Sorry you weren't her first priority.
Bone Squad
My dear fellow Lady Bears fans, I love you all.

That said...

bowdedg
longtimebear
fujobear said:

Sports is entertainment. Watching a top 5 premiere women's team play low tier competition is like watching the Mavericks play Dallas Baptist. Nothing can be gained from this type of ocs except failing to reach the final four six years in a row because Kalani and Lauren are never challenged in the paint until the elite 8. And we believe we are that good. Kim needs an acs with only p5 schools. She at least needs to run an offense that practices outside shooting in the game. See u at UCOnn n Texas. With my earplugs. The noise is deafening. Not from fans, but from the music. You may call me negative, but I know a few families who haven't renewed season tickets because of the ocs.
Your absolutely right. At the Football games and the B-Ball games...the music is played so loud that my irritability meter goes off the charts. I know it's done for the kids, but hell, who do they think is paying the freight... US BLUE HAIRS...that's who!

Anymore, if I go at all, it's for very special games. I just can't stand the ear splitting music.
Florda_mike
fujobear said:

Stay tuned!!!

Next up Sunday is #23 Arizona St, later South Carolina, Stanford then UCONN

Admittedly past years non conference has been listless but not this season

slimecap
Thursday, Nov 08

Saint Francis (PA) 58 @ Baylor 116
https://baylorbears.com/news/2018/11/8/womens-basketball-brown-scores-23-no-4-baylor-women-rip-saint-francis-116-58.aspx?path=wbball

Duquesne 41 @ Texas 78
https://texassports.com/news/2018/11/8/no-11-8-womens-basketball-posts-season-opening-win-against-duquesne.aspx
bowdedg
longtimebear said:

fujobear said:

Your absolutely right. At the Football games and the B-Ball games...the music is played so loud that my irritability meter goes off the charts. I know it's done for the kids, but hell, who do they think is paying the freight... US BLUE HAIRS...that's who!

Anymore, if I go at all, it's for very special games. I just can't stand the ear splitting music.
Sorry to hear you will only be attending the "special games."

You need to understand the music from a different point of view. Although the blue hairs are paying the freight, you still need a TEAM. And as seen on this forum, most everyone expects nothing less than a stellar team and schedule. With that said, "their music" is what gets this team going. Ever notice that EVERY athlete listens to music prior to playing their sport? These girls can't warm up with headphones on, so the fans pay the price. The Ferrell Center has changed the volume and type of music when the girls are not on the court to accommodate fans. If most would stop griping about the music and pay attention, you will notice that the volume is much lower when the girls are in the locker room, which was changed last year.

These games are about this team. If we want a winning team, we need to cut them some slack with the music. We don't have to like it, but we need to support it. This team is going to play no matter how much freight the blue hairs pay.

Maybe you should just come a little later than your normal time, say...prior to the National Anthem.
Hairy Bear
This information is probably something many of you knew, but I did not or had forgotten. Larry Tidwell who coached WBB at Baylor during the Sonja Hogg period is now part of the Texas Tech WBB coaching staff. He was a terrific coach at Baylor, and the Baylor program suffered when he moved on to another school. If you are trying to revive a once great TTech WBB program, putting together a great coaching staff is a good thing to do. Erin Grant is also on their staff, probably would be a good recruiter.
First Page Last Page
Page 31 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.