Big 12 happenings

1,133,943 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
Chibears2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I support the women's team, the staff, everything about it. Even made coaching young women part of my life's work. And while the selection of the music played isn't what I would chose, I'm cool with it. I doubt my music would fire anyone up. That said, it would be nice to be able to carry on a conversation with the person sitting next to me during timeouts and before the game. And unless the players are already suffering hearing loss at a young age, I feel certain the volume could be lowered a bit and they could still feel pumped up by their music.

I don't really have much patience for people who have to complain about everything or about things that obviously can't or won't change, (and had to remind myself of that in my gripe thread on the media changes!) but creating a pleasant fan experience SHOULD be important to everyone who wants to see the women's program thrive, and if turning the pregame/stoppage volume down a few decibels increases that enjoyment, along with encouraging seat mates to develop relationships with one another (from experience, the relationships I build with other like minded fans is a huge factor in whether I invest money in season tickets), then I don't think it's out of line to mention that or request it. At that point, it's up to the powers that control those things to decide whether that fits their goals and to the fans to decide how they want to proceed if nothing changes.

I certainly wouldn't stop going; I currently wear my wireless headphones like earplugs, but I can't tell you how many times friends that I don't see often stop by to chat a sec or two and when they leave, I have no idea what they said because I couldn't make out their words over the music. I try to just smile and nod at the right time or look properly sympathetic as called for. Makes me sad. And I am not particularly hearing impaired....unless it suits my purpose, of course!
bowdedg
Pale Rider
Good for her. Got smart.
slimecap
bowdedg said:

Hi bowdedg,
Appreciate your post. I wonder if she is going to join HC Tina Thompson's team at UVirginia.
Hairy Bear
I like others have wondered why it is that Patterson was not getting significant minutes over the last two seasons. Her potential was top tier level, that is top 20 level. She seemed well grounded. I hope she finds a good fit.
slimecap
Friday, Nov 09

Niagara 35 @ Iowa State 95 Pre-Season WNIT
https://cyclones.com/news/2018/11/9/womens-basketball-cyclones-win-season-opener-over-niagara-95-35.aspx

Western Kentucky 83 @ Oklahoma 90
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211779893

Arkansas State 60 @ Oklahoma State 62
https://okstate.com/news/2018/11/9/womens-basketball-cowgirls-escape-with-62-60-win-in-opener.aspx

Jacksonville State 58 @ Texas Tech 71
https://texastech.com/news/2018/11/9/lady-raiders-secure-first-win-with-stollings.aspx
slimecap
Sunday, Nov 11

Mississippi Valley State @ TCU 12:00 PM CT
New Jersey Inst Tech @ West Virginia 1:00 PM CT
Northern Illinois @ Iowa State Pre-Season WNIT 2:00 PM CT
UC Riverside @ Oklahoma State 2:00 PM CT
ULM @ Texas Tech 2:00 PM CT
Arizona State vs Baylor Fort Defiance AZ 6:30 PM CT

slimecap
Sunday, Nov 11

Arizona State 59 vs Baylor 65 Fort Defiance AZ
https://baylorbears.com/news/2018/11/11/womens-basketball-no-4-wbb-tops-arizona-state-in-showdown-on-the-rez.aspx?path=wbball

Northern Illinois 60 @ Iowa State 70 Preseason WNIT
https://cyclones.com/news/2018/11/11/womens-basketball-isu-advances-in-preseason-wnit-defeats-niu-70-60.aspx

UC Riverside 51 @ Oklahoma State 76
https://okstate.com/news/2018/11/11/womens-basketball-cowgirls-roll-past-highlanders-76-51.aspx

Mississippi Valley State 47 @ TCU 96
https://gofrogs.com/news/2018/11/11/womens-basketball-moore-reaches-1-000-points-in-tcu-win.aspx

ULM 42 @ Texas Tech 86
https://texastech.com/news/2018/11/11/lady-raiders-trounce-ulm-86-42.aspx

New Jersey Inst Tech 50 @ West Virginia 95
https://wvusports.com/news/2018/11/11/womens-basketball-mountaineers-down-njit.aspx?path=wbball
bowdedg
slimecap said:

bowdedg said:

Hi bowdedg,
Appreciate your post. I wonder if she is going to join HC Tina Thompson's team at UVirginia.

Hey Slime,

I would think there would be a high possibility of Patterson joining Tina, however, not sure if she is looking to go out of state. Sure is a puzzling situation considering she was leaving at the end of the year and Texas talked her into staying.
slimecap

WEEK 1
Nov 12, 2018

"West Virginia's Naomi Davenport, Baylor's NaLyssa Smith and Oklahoma's Taylor Robertson picked up Big 12 weekly honors for their performances during the opening week of the women's basketball season.

Naomi Davenport G/F SR
West Virginia
Registered her first career triple-double and the first for a Mountaineer since 1987 with 13 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists in WVU's season-opening win over Coppin State to earn Player of the Week honors. She completed the week averaging 14.0 points, 13.0 rebounds and 6.0 assists for the Mountaineers.

NaLyssa Smith F FR
Baylor
Averaged a double-double with 15.7 points and 10 rebounds while shooting .636 from the field in Baylor's three victories to garner Co-Freshman of the Week. In the win over Arizona State, the freshman tallied 16 points and snatched 11 rebounds, while shooting 72.7 percent (8-of-11) from the field.

Taylor Robertson G FR
Oklahoma
Co-Freshman of the Week, Robertson set the OU single-game freshman record with eight three-pointers in her collegiate debut against Western Kentucky. The McPherson, Kansas, native connected on 57.1 percent (8-of-14) from behind the arc, while grabbing six rebounds in the victory."

- Big 12 WBB website
slimecap

Monday, Nov 12

Omaha 46 @ Kansas State 61
https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2018/11/12/womens-basketball-k-state-defense-locks-down-omaha-in-second-half.aspx

Texas 64 @ North Texas 54
UNorth Texas head coach Jalie Mitchell's Mean Green outscored mentor and former colleague head coach Karen Aston's No. 11/8 Longhorns for 2 quarters and pulled within 4 points with 5:35 to play.

https://texassports.com/news/2018/11/12/no-11-8-womens-basketball-wins-at-north-texas-64-54.aspx?path=wbball
geewago
I watched the Texas game. I saw talent but I didn't see it performing very well. It's too early to pass judgement, but NT gave them fits.
Pale Rider
geewago said:

I watched the Texas game. I saw talent but I didn't see it performing very well. It's too early to pass judgement, but NT gave them fits.
Music to the ears.
Florda_mike
Pale Rider said:

geewago said:

Music to the ears.
slimecap
Tuesday, Nov 13

Auburn 64 @ Iowa State 67 Pre-Season WNIT
https://cyclones.com/news/2018/11/13/womens-basketball-iowa-state-rallies-past-auburn-in-preseason-wnit-semifinal.aspx

Oral Roberts 58 @ Kansas 70
https://kuathletics.com/news/2018/11/13/womens-basketball-freshmen-lead-kansas-to-70-58-victory-over-oral-roberts.aspx
Pale Rider
3 point shooting by ISU. That'll do it every time. Great comeback.
4th and Inches
Big 12 looking good so far...
slimecap
Thursday, Nov 15

Southern 49 @ Baylor 94
https://baylorbears.com/news/2018/11/15/womens-basketball-no-4-5-wbb-rolls-past-southern-to-move-to-4-0.aspx?path=wbball

Northwestern State 56 @ Oklahoma 93
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211780849

Prairie View 50 @ Oklahoma State 70
https://okstate.com/news/2018/11/15/womens-basketball-cowgirls-charge-past-prairie-view-am.aspx

McNeese 40 @ Texas 96
https://texassports.com/news/2018/11/15/no-11-8-womens-basketball-rolls-past-mcneese-state-96-40.aspx?path=wbball

Bryant 48 @ West Virginia 94
https://wvusports.com/news/2018/11/15/womens-basketball-martin-defense-lead-wvu-past-bryant.aspx?path=wbball
slimecap
Friday, Nov 16

North Texas 42 @ Kansas State 60
https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2018/11/16/womens-basketball-strong-first-quarter-pushes-k-state-to-win-on-friday.aspx
Florda_mike
Is there anything to take from how K St played N Tx much stronger than UT?

UT perhaps isn't as good as their ranking or KSt is top 10ish team this season and conference will be tough?
geewago
Florda_mike said:

UT perhaps isn't as good as their ranking or KSt is top 10ish team this season and conference will be tough?
I doubt it. UT has a better team than they showed Monday night. It was a big game for NT. The Texas - Mississippi ST game will tell us more about where TX is. Just like the UConn game at Waco. We'll learn a lot from that game.
Florda_mike
geewago said:

Florda_mike said:

I doubt it. UT has a better team than they showed Monday night. It was a big game for NT. The Texas - Mississippi ST game will tell us more about where TX is. Just like the UConn game at Waco. We'll learn a lot from that game.

Yeah I didn't mean to make out like Baylor was waaaayyyy ahead of conference when I wrote that either

If Baylor can't find speed at PG it could make for a non typical Baylor women's BB season this year imo with struggles to win conference

We will know in next month or so

I trust Mulk at PG but if it doesn't exist this season ........
gone to Tickfaw
yes... UT has a great team of players, but the most overrated coach in the country...
and i'm not sure that moon isn't the fastest player in the nation
and that smith might be able to outrun them all
and that we'll be just fine...

i'm seeing
Brown
Cox
Smith
Jackson
Landrum

fun
Eball
fujobear said:

yes... UT has a great team of players, but the most overrated coach in the country...
and i'm not sure that moon isn't the fastest player in the nation
and that smith might be able to outrun them all
and that we'll be just fine...

i'm seeing
Brown
Cox
Smith
Jackson
Landrum

fun
I don't disagree that the 5 you just mentioned may be the 5 best players we could roll out on the floor from an offensive standpoint/overall standpoint today...but I think chemistry wise difficult to play Smith, Brown and Cox on floor at same time...they all three need to touch ball and have room to operate close to basket. Unless injury or something else I believe Smith is destined to be 1st off the bench for Cox or Brown....I think DiDi stays on floor as starter because of defense and willingness to do the dirty work and not have to look to score. Moon, Oliver, HSG will be your subs at Guard...Bickle, and Decosta will get some work at 3 and 4 and Queen will spell Brown at 5.
slimecap
geewago said:

Florda_mike said:

UT has a better team than they showed Monday night. It was a big game for NT.
"Aston expects a much tougher game when the Longhorns take on North Texas. Coach Jalie Mitchell was a Texas assistant before moving to UNT in 2015.

"If I know Jalie, she'll have her team jacked up and ready to play us, and they will be prepared," Aston said. "We're not in any position where we can take any team for granted."

- Rick Cantu, Austin American-Statesman, 11 Nov 2018
longtimebear
bowdedg said:

longtimebear said:

fujobear said:

Sports is entertainment. Watching a top 5 premiere women's team play low tier competition is like watching the Mavericks play Dallas Baptist. Nothing can be gained from this type of ocs except failing to reach the final four six years in a row because Kalani and Lauren are never challenged in the paint until the elite 8. And we believe we are that good. Kim needs an acs with only p5 schools. She at least needs to run an offense that practices outside shooting in the game. See u at UCOnn n Texas. With my earplugs. The noise is deafening. Not from fans, but from the music. You may call me negative, but I know a few families who haven't renewed season tickets because of the ocs.
Your absolutely right. At the Football games and the B-Ball games...the music is played so loud that my irritability meter goes off the charts. I know it's done for the kids, but hell, who do they think is paying the freight... US BLUE HAIRS...that's who!

Anymore, if I go at all, it's for very special games. I just can't stand the ear splitting music.
Sorry to hear you will only be attending the "special games."

You need to understand the music from a different point of view. Although the blue hairs are paying the freight, you still need a TEAM. And as seen on this forum, most everyone expects nothing less than a stellar team and schedule. With that said, "their music" is what gets this team going. Ever notice that EVERY athlete listens to music prior to playing their sport? These girls can't warm up with headphones on, so the fans pay the price. The Ferrell Center has changed the volume and type of music when the girls are not on the court to accommodate fans. If most would stop griping about the music and pay attention, you will notice that the volume is much lower when the girls are in the locker room, which was changed last year.

These games are about this team. If we want a winning team, we need to cut them some slack with the music. We don't have to like it, but we need to support it. This team is going to play no matter how much freight the blue hairs pay.

Maybe you should just come a little later than your normal time, say...prior to the National Anthem.
That's rich! What did the poor musically poor athletes do in the days before there was bull crap blasted from one end of an arena to the other. I wouldn't know about the turned down music cause it's just not what I want to hear. So, if this is what it takes today to get athlete to perform then...we have a problem. Don't you think?
slimecap
Chibears2 said:

And while the selection of the music played isn't what I would chose, I'm cool with it. I doubt my music would fire anyone up.

2018 MEDIA DAY

What is your go-to pump up song before a game?

BAY Kalani Brown It changes but its I Bet You Won't' - Mouse and Level
ISU Bridget Carleton Nice For What - Drake
TEX Joyner Holmes Dreams & Nightmares - Meek Mill.... Hands down
TCU Amy Okonkwo Anything partynextdoor or the weeknd
WVU Tynice Martin March Madness - Future will forever be one of my top go to pump up songs
gone to Tickfaw
i'm not a sports psychologist, but if the girls rely on music to get pumped up and they are comfortable in that atmosphere, what happens when they go to Vegas... or South Carolina .. or the NCAA's and that music isn't there... the safety blanket... the pacifier, the familiar is absent.

in first round games at Ferrell when the Lady Bears host the NCAA's, is that allowed?

Eball
I feel like I am in a Baptist business meeting watching Deacons and their wives argue over the color of carpet in the Church...
slimecap

2019 NLI EARLY SIGNING

West Virginia signs 5

Leilani Correa 5--10 G Manchester NJ Manchester Township
2019 ESPN HoopGurlz 4-star. #17 in her position. #62 overall.
2019 Prospects Nation 4-1/2-star. #37
2019 Collegiate Girls Basketball Report #8 amongst guards
.. Led Rutgers Prep to 3 straight South Jersey, Non-Public B titles
.. Transferred to Manchester Township to finish out her HS career
.. Played Philly Belles Burbridgeclub ball
.. 2017-18 All-USA New Jersey First Team
.. U.S.A. Basketball 3x3 U18 National Championship team
.. Chose WVU over Florida and Louisville
.. Major in criminal justice

Kirsten Deans 5-8 G Greensboro NC Connections Academy
2019 ESPN HoopGurlz 5-star. #11 in her position. #51 player overall.
2019 Prospects Nation 4-star.
2019 Collegiate Girls Basketball Report #10 combo guard. Top-50 player.
.. Played for Westridge Academy and Connections Academy
.. Played Lady Pheonix Elite club ball. Coach was Delaney Rudd, father of WVU junior Lucky Rudd.
.. 2017-18 Helped Westridge Academy to a runner-up finish at the USA Prep Championship
.. 2017-18 USA TODAY Sports Super 25 Expert Rankings #21 for Westridge Academy
.. Chose WVU over Clemson, Minnesota and East Carolina
.. Major in broadcast journalism.

Jada Wright 6-3 P Trinity Valley Community College Rich East HS - Chicago IL
2017 ESPN HoopGurlz 4-star #11 in her position. #84 overall.
.. 2017 McDonald's All-America team nominee
.. Committed to Rutgers out of high school
.. #1 JUCO center and #9 JUCO overall before an injury sidelined her in 2018-19

Arleighshya McElroy 5-8 shooting G Trinity Valley Community College Richardson East HS - Dallas TX
2016 ESPN HoopGurlz 4-star. #18 in her position. #62 overall.
.. 2014 District 9-5A MVP
.. 2015 District 10-6A MVP
.. TABC First Team All-State
.. USA TODAY All-State Selection
.. Committed to Texas A&M out of high school
.. 2017-18 Averaged 10.6 points per game for TVCC
.. #1 JUCO shooting guard position. #3 JUCO overall.
.. Major in athletic coaching education

Blessing Ejiofor 6-5 C Chipola College Paterson Eastside HS - Paterson NJ
2016 ESPN Hoop Gurlz 3-star
2016 Prospects Nation Top 100 overall
.. From Ebonyi, Nigeria
.. Committed to Vanderbilt out of high school
.. Played in 22 games as a Vanderbilt true freshman
.. Transferred to Chipola College in Marianna FL for the 2018-19 season

- Edited from West Virginia WBB website 16 Nov 2018 article

OP NOTE WVU senior Naomi Davenport attended Trinity Valley Community College.
Chibears2
Music seems to be pretty integral to the lives of young people today, not unlike all generations, perhaps, but the explosion of technology has made it far more accessible. Got a tour of Paul Foster Friday and as we were going in, the first four students we passed exiting the building had earbuds in their ears. I suppose they could have been listening to a lecture, but .....

Anyway, I think most events and venues play music pregame, and none, I'm pretty sure, will be playing The Carpenters or Barry Manilow, though maybe some Boston, Foreigner, Queen, or Joan Jett gets a little air time occasionally.
zt1014
Typically this is music they listen to with headphones on before pre game. This gets you hyped to go into pre-game warm ups.
gone to Tickfaw
that's why it's not "the church" and why I left along time ago
74Bear
Join the tip off club and stay in the Stone room until near tipoff. Great people in there
Eball
If you ever find the perfect Church don't join it because then it won't be....
First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.