Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Women's Basketball

Baylor Women's Basketball Dominates UTA 91-36

December 8, 2022

Notes on the Bears’ win over UTSA:

• The No. 19-ranked Baylor Bears downed the UT Arlington Lady Mavericks, 91-36, inside the Ferrell Center on Wednesday night.
  • The Bears moved to 20-3 all-time against UTA and remained undefeated at home in games against the Lady Mavs (14-0).
  • The 55-point margin of win was the largest by BU this season and the largest in the Nicki Collen era. It was the largest win by the program since recording a 93-point victory against McNeese on Dec. 19, 2020.
  • The victory marked the fifth time this season that the Bears have won by at least 25 points.
  • For the fourth time this season, Baylor recorded at least 40 points in the first half, holding UTA to just 16 at the break.
  • Wednesday’s game marked the first time that the Bears held their opponent to single digits in three quarters this year.
  • Baylor’s 14 steals were the most in a game since recording 15 in a win over Jackson State on March 21, 2021. Jaden Owens led the Bears in the category, matching a career high with four.
  • The Bears forced 28 turnovers by the Lady Mavs – the most in a game by an opponent since McNeese turned the ball over 38 times in 2020 – and it marked the fourth time this season BU forced its opponent to commit at least 20 turnovers.
  • Baylor’s 91 points were the second-most scored this year, behind the 92-point output against Saint Louis, and the fifth time the Bears reached 90 in a game in the Nicki Collen era.
  • For the fourth time this season, five Bears reached double figures, led by junior Sarah Andrews’ 20 points. The 20-piece marked the fourth time in her career that she has poured in at least that many. She led BU from behind the arc, going 4-for-6.
  • Junior transfer Jana Van Gytenbeek had a breakthrough performance off the bench, scoring a season-high 15 points – just three points shy of matching her career-best – while adding four assists and a pair of steals. She shot a perfect 6-for-6 from the floor and was 3-for-3 from range.
  • Freshman Darianna Littlepage-Buggs continued to be a threat on the boards, grabbing a team-best 10 while adding 11 points for her third double-double of the season. She has now reached double-figure rebounding and scoring in four games this year.
  • Fifth-year Caitlin Bickle dished out a team- and career-high seven assists in her sixth appearance this season. Baylor’s 28 on the night were the most since recording 30 against Kansas State on Feb. 9, 2022.
Discussion from...

Baylor Women's Basketball Dominates UTA 91-36

2,052 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by historian
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
W
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
BikerBear
This game was a blast to watch! Glad ESPN could get their stuff together for this broadcast. Two highlights for me…..I now have to learn how to spell Van Guytenbeek, and then there was Coach Haller's tie! Seriously, great performance by our women's team, both on defense and offense, against a team (UTA) that could have given us serious problems.
historian
The headline threw me off: the Lady Bears beat UT Arlington, not UT San Antonio (UTSA)!
Bone Squad
BikerBear said:

I now have to learn how to spell Van Guytenbeek
Very close. Jana Van Gytenbeek
https://baylorbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/jana-van-gytenbeek/11521
BikerBear
Bone Squad said:

BikerBear said:

I now have to learn how to spell Van Guytenbeek
Very close. Jana Van Gytenbeek
https://baylorbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/jana-van-gytenbeek/11521

Point well taken. I even looked it up and still couldn't get it right!
Bone Squad
Hey, we still get people misspelling "Collen," and there have always been infinite alternative spellings for Kristy Wallace, so you don't have to feel bad about missing an actually difficult one!
Lynnp550
It's been known as UTA ever since it became a university.
historian
Lynnp550 said:

It's been known as UTA ever since it became a university.

I know. I was commenting on the typo. Baylor has competed with UT San Antonio in football & other sports. I'm not sure if they include WBB.

I was picking nits.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.