Mark Morefield is doing well at CRU

4,906 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stefano DiMera
Tempus Edax Rerum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://cruathletics.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/mark-morefield/678
Mothballs
You aren't allowed to post this rubbish here. Morfield is no longer at Baylor so he is dead and forgotten to this site.
Bone Squad
Yes, a few of the fanatics will undoubtedly make a point to post on this thread just to make sure everyone else knows that they don't care about this subject.

Anyone know that backstory on what led to the switch over to women's basketball?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Congrats to Mark
Malbec
Morefield is dead to me!

/s naturally
Tempus Edax Rerum
He is a really good recruiter. He should get a shot at a big time program at some point.
geewago
Mothballs said:

You aren't allowed to post this rubbish here. Morfield is no longer at Baylor so he is dead and forgotten to this site.
Yeah I think this only applies to Art & Kim. Tang, Morefield, Rhule etc. -- say on, it's ok.
Iron Claw
So what would drive an assistant coach under Drew, with his pedigree, take a DIII women's job? The only tie I see is he coached a girls team for one year and is married to Bill Brock's daughter.

Was he forced out due to some recruiting violations?
Mothballs
geewago said:

Mothballs said:

Yeah I think this only applies to Art & Kim. Tang, Morefield, Rhule etc. -- say on, it's ok.

The BOR got what they wanted out of Kim and Art...new facilities/ playpens. Once Drew is gone they will hibernate for another 40 years.
Malbec
Iron Claw said:

So what would drive an assistant coach under Drew, with his pedigree, take a DIII women's job? The only tie I see is he coached a girls team for one year and is married to Bill Brock's daughter.

Was he forced out due to some recruiting violations?
Think about who hired him and then reconsider this question.
Space53
It looks like he was just terminated by Mary Hardin Baylor.
gobears20
Staff
Malbec
Statman doesn't even have to post in a thread to make it happen. Legend.
Tempus Edax Rerum
Wow! Anyone know what happened?
Stefano DiMera
Texas Basketball reported that, "according to sources", the termination of Morefield's position as head coach "could be the result of an incident that occurred during a team practice in November," in which a UMHB player sustained a season-ending injury when rolled upon by another player. Hogue's report stated: "Following the incident, a frustrated Morefield allegedly used an expletive when explaining to the team why the injury should not have occurred." True To The Cru has confirmed this report via its sources.
whitetrash
Stefano DiMera said:

Texas Basketball reported that, "according to sources", the termination of Morefield's position as head coach "could be the result of an incident that occurred during a team practice in November," in which a UMHB player sustained a season-ending injury when rolled upon by another player. Hogue's report stated: "Following the incident, a frustrated Morefield allegedly used an expletive when explaining to the team why the injury should not have occurred." True To The Cru has confirmed this report via its sources.
That ranks up there with the group of regents and preachers who forced Pat Neff into retirement for giving an honorary Baylor degree to President Truman, who was known to occasionally have the propensity to play poker, use coarse language and consume intoxicating liquors.
Bone Squad
I wonder if there is more of a backstory where there were other problems, and this was just the last straw. I'll grant that he was probably in the wrong for whatever it was he said, but that's got to be an emotional moment to see someone hurt like that, and I'd forgive more than a few mistakes under those circumstances.
Stefano DiMera
Yeah can't believe it would be for the garden variety expletive that rhymes with duck...there's one word you should never say so I hope it wasn't that.
Bone Squad
Yeah, hopefully he did not say "Nickleback."
EatMoreSalmon
Tempus Edax Rerum
Stefano DiMera said:

That's it?
BluesBear
My guess the initial reaction "expletive" is no big deal. Lot's of cussing going on the football field.....it's likely when he talked to the team,,,maybe something like " This stupid ***** did what I asked you all not to do, and now we have a hurt player"....
WacoFan

"My coaching intensity to build a consistent championship program did not align with the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. It was not my finest moment and out of character. My emotions got the best of me due to a player who had just torn her ACL moments prior in practice. I was hurting for that player because of the hard work she had put in to have a successful season. The next day before practice I apologized to the team for my out of character moment and explained why I was upset. This does not excuse my actions, and I apologize to everyone affected. I wish the team the best as they finish out the season. I hope to build another program in the near future. "

Malbec
Bone Squad
After watching it, I can still understand losing his temper under the circumstances. But I also think he probably lost the team in that moment, and it would be hard to keep him as the coach.
BearFan33
Bone Squad said:

After watching it, I can still understand losing his temper under the circumstances. But I also think he probably lost the team in that moment, and it would be hard to keep him as the coach.
The video is very damaging. I think the school had no choice. He is accepting responsibility and can bounce back. Get some anger management classes and he'll be back on the sidelines soon.

(I'm not condoning his behavior)
JertyBird
When did it take place?
Bone Squad
By Odin's beard, I think you're right! It actually hadn't occurred to me that this is not the 1960s, which when you think about it is kind of weird since I was only born in the 1980s. Good tip!
FFA0329
He is a grown man, these are 18-21 year old girls/young women. PLUS, it is Division 3. Every one of those young women are Paying $30,000(or whatever) to go there and play for him. Zero athletic scholarships!

I am glad coaches cannot abuse players any more. They never should have able to. I am also glad it is not the 1950's anymore.
mcleod66
Bone Squad said:

Because he said a cuss word????
BaylorGuy314
Ugly truth is that, had he been coaching men at a D1 school, he wouldn't have been fired. But, situations and circumstances matter. It was D3. Strike one. It was women's athletics. Strike 2. At a Christian university. Strike 3.

I don't know Mark well but he lives in our community and those that know him far better than me say this is out of character. Perhaps it wasn't and he was like this regularly with his team, in which case, he needs some help if he's going to stay in that line of work. Sometimes wake up calls like this can really change a person.

I hope he gets some help and another chance.
BaylorBears_254
Unpopular opinion, had he been coaching men, he would've never been fired.

Weak move, I've heard and seen worse lol

Bone Squad
I think that's most likely true, but I come down on thinking the difference is a fair one. The optics of a grown man screaming and cussing out a 20 year old woman are just not the same as doing it to a bunch of 6'5 muscle-bound dudes. One makes me cringe much harder than the other, and I suspect that is true for the vast majority of us.
Mothballs
FFA0329 said:

He is a grown man, these are 18-21 year old girls/young women. PLUS, it is Division 3. Every one of those young women are Paying $30,000(or whatever) to go there and play for him. Zero athletic scholarships!

I am glad coaches cannot abuse players any more. They never should have able to. I am also glad it is not the 1950's anymore.

Are we sure they are girls/women? This is 2023...has anyone asked them their preferred pronouns?
Stefano DiMera
Several players and ex players tweeted this is the norm..if so..he may need to seek help .

I agree with most.. my 7th grade coach cussed us out like that a couple times. But if this is a pattern he needs help .
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.