Caitlyn Clark offered $5 mil by Ice Cube to play a season in Big3

3,089 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by Jorkel
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IowaBear
You can't turn that down can you?!! 5 million for 1 season
boognish_bear
IowaBear said:

It says she can still play in the WNBA as well. Can't see any reason to turn that down. Seems like a win-win for her and the Big3 league.

I have never watched that league… But I would tune in to catch a game if she played just to see what happened.
Mitch Blood Green
IowaBear said:

She may have to. I believe it will conflict with the Olympics this year.
fredbear
Olympics pay zero
ScottS
That's some good coin
blackie
fredbear said:

Olympics pay zero
Actually I think they do pay some now and especially if you factor in endorsements specially related to the Olympics, but it depends on what you value. It could be argued that barring injuries she will have other opportunities for the Olympics. But she will also have many more seasons for professional pay.

She is going to be financially set regardless of what she does unless she pulls a real PR blunder, which is possible. If it were me, I would go with the Olympics. You just can't buy that perhaps once in a lifetime opportunity. If your sole focus is on money you are going to view that as a moronic statement. But everyone is not motivated by money. The one thing I might do, if it is available is buy an insurance policy that would at least partially compensate her if her career was to end prematurely because of injury.
Jayman1963
blackie said:

fredbear said:

Olympics pay zero
Actually I think they do pay some now and especially if you factor in endorsements specially related to the Olympics, but it depends on what you value. It could be argued that barring injuries she will have other opportunities for the Olympics. But she will also have many more seasons for professional pay.

She is going to be financially set regardless of what she does unless she pulls a real PR blunder, which is possible. If it were me, I would go with the Olympics. You just can't buy that perhaps once in a lifetime opportunity. If your sole focus is on money you are going to view that as a moronic statement. But everyone is not motivated by money. The one thing I might do, if it is available is buy an insurance policy that would at least partially compensate her if her career was to end prematurely because of injury.
Lloyd's of London provides this type of insurance coverage.
BearFan33
This is great for Women's BB.
mcleod66
boognish_bear said:

I HIGHLY doubt she could perform against men the way she performs against women and would be at risk to be injured by them, unintentionally of course. But a collision with a male professional basketball player would probably not end well for her). This was also an argument against Carli Lloyd as an NFL kicker. Talented in both cases, able to compete against grown men (and frankly, teenage boys in the case of the USWNT)-no way.
boognish_bear
mcleod66 said:

boognish_bear said:

I HIGHLY doubt she could perform against men the way she performs against women and would be at risk to be injured by them, unintentionally of course. But a collision with a male professional basketball player would probably not end well for her). This was also an argument against Carli Lloyd as an NFL kicker. Talented in both cases, able to compete against grown men (and frankly, teenage boys in the case of the USWNT)-no way.

I haven't seen much of Big3....but I think it's half court and they are all retired players I believe.

So it won't be quite the intensity of an NBA game....but I'm sure there could still be the potential for injury if she went in the paint.
Jorkel
boognish_bear said:

mcleod66 said:

boognish_bear said:

I haven't seen much of Big3....but I think it's half court and they are all retired players I believe.

So it won't be quite the intensity of an NBA game....but I'm sure there could still be the potential for injury if she went in the paint.

It's essentially old washed players, celebrity social media players, and maybe a big name here and there to add fun value. A glorified pick up game, but they have spots on the court that are worth more which is where Caitlyn would probably live.
GoodOleBaylorLine
BearFan33 said:

I am not so sure. Clark would get embarrassed.

This is reminiscent of Serena and Venus getting smoked at the Australian Open by a male player ranked around 200 in the world when they were both at the height of their careers
BearFan33
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

BearFan33 said:

This is reminiscent of Serana and Venus getting smoked at the Australian Open by a male player ranked around 200 in the world when they were both at the height of their careers
I didn't realize it was a mixed league. She could get smooshed....but IMO she should still take the money. Don't try to rebound and just rain threes.
GoodOleBaylorLine
She would be the only female player. That is the hook and why they would pay the $5 million

And it is mostly former NBA players that are just out the league. Rashard Lewis and Michael Beasley have played in the Big3 recently for example.
mcleod66
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

BearFan33 said:

This is reminiscent of Serena and Venus getting smoked at the Australian Open by a male player ranked around 200 in the world when they were both at the height of their careers

Yep
BearFan33
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

She would be the only female player. That is the hook and why they would pay the $5 million

And it is mostly former NBA players that are just out the league. Rashard Lewis and Michael Beasley have played in the Big3 recently for example.

She may not be able to get a shot off lol
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

BearFan33 said:

That's how I'd suspect it to go as well if entertainment and money were not involved. But I suspect to see them "arrange" an understanding with the other players to lay off her and give her some space. The whole point is to get new viewers, and nobody likes to see a girl they like get bullied (so to speak) by much bigger men.
boognish_bear
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
boognish_bear said:

LOL, explaining the relationship between revenue and viewership is not "mansplaining", but then after insulting their male readers, they go on to apparently "mansplain" it themselves in the next paragraphs. Inconsistency is the hallmark of woke writers.

Seems like a no brainer for Clark, only risk (which I think they mitigate somehow) is her getting stomped and embarrassed. But again I think the male players will not bully her and will half-@$$ it to give her a chance to shine.
BUatbirth
Clark should take the $$$. However, the men won't "take it easy on her". They will play her like they would play anyone. Why should it be any other way? This is a publicity play by Ice Cube to generate publicity (which it will) and boost viewership (will probably accomplish that also). So win/win.
boognish_bear
She better give Cube a call

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
cowboycwr
Good for her on the deal.

Although I feel like she will suffer the same fate as every high caliber female college player has gone through IMO.

They get to the WNBA and people stop paying attention because she is no longer connected to the University/college sports.
Fre3dombear
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

BearFan33 said:

Daring to speak this about a pregnant women almost got McEnroe canceled
Fre3dombear
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

boognish_bear said:

LOL, explaining the relationship between revenue and viewership is not "mansplaining", but then after insulting their male readers, they go on to apparently "mansplain" it themselves in the next paragraphs. Inconsistency is the hallmark of woke writers.

Seems like a no brainer for Clark, only risk (which I think they mitigate somehow) is her getting stomped and embarrassed. But again I think the male players will not bully her and will half-@$$ it to give her a chance to shine.

No. They womansplaimed it. It's mansplaining but better
Jorkel
She won't need to do the big 3 now with $28 mil over 8 years with Nike
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Jorkel said:

Yep, such a great deal for her.
bawitdaball

Jorkel said:

Anyone know the contingencies of the deal? I know these types of deals have a ton of fine print. Wonder what her guarantee is in the event of an injury etc.
boognish_bear
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
boognish_bear said:

Wow, not knowing jack about that league, that's an mpressive sounding offer, millions plus salary, ownership, etc.
Jorkel
bawitdaball said:

Jorkel said:

Anyone know the contingencies of the deal? I know these types of deals have a ton of fine print. Wonder what her guarantee is in the event of an injury etc.

I don't think it's guaranteed. However as long as the player is meeting the contractual obligations (maintaining performance, keeping a good image, etc) she's gonna get paid. She's got some big hitter endorsements too; Nike, Gatorade, State Farm, and relationship with Prada. Pretty amazing line up
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.