How Dijonai Carrington shut down Clark

3,052 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Cove Dawg
Tempus Edax Rerum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/wnba/news/caitlin-clark-debut-dijonai-carrington-stats-fever-sun/8ee05b47359e3c83248ddbf3
fredbear
Thanks for posting. Indeed, smothered and covered.
sizzles0
So game high 20 points is "shut down" now. K.
Cove Dawg
Big Caitlin fan but Carrington played her as well as anybody I've ever seen.
OsoCoreyell
Don't you take the under on that screen!
Bone Squad
We can argue the semantics of what is "shutting down" a player. But at the very least, you would have to say that 33.3% from the field and 10 turnovers is not a good offensive performance. Thus Carrington is deservedly credited for her defense.
fredbear
There is more than just points scored to determine offensive performance. Yes, she made 20 points, but it took way too many shots to get that number. Hit only 5 out of 15 shots on twos, hit only 4 of 11 threes. Only 3 assists with 10 turnovers. So yes she was smothered and covered. And i was pulling for the fever.
HoustonBear15
sizzles0 said:

So game high 20 points is "shut down" now. K.
Not many of those points came against Carrington. She held Clark to 2-10 shooting and forced 8 of her 10 turnovers. She indeed did shut down CC.

fredbear
Update

Next game against Liberty Clark scored only 9 points with only 1/7 from three point line. That is abysmal 14 percent! Many of.us said in previous threads that the world needed to give her time to adjust to the competition in wnba. But media hype and Nike would have none of it. She owned the game in college, the game not owns her. She will be a good player given time, but not sure she will ever own the sport again. Because of the BU players on Fever, I am pulling for her to be phenomenal, but the competition is way different in W. Lower expectations are a must.
Chibears2
Feel for her. While other rookies get time to adjust and grow, she gets headlines like"Clark underwhelms in debut." They've hyped her so much, that the story has to be either she's taken the league by storm or she's failed abysmally…look how the mighty have fallen". She has done what the league was hoping for, though, as venues have seen increased ticket sales for Fever games and some have even changed arenas to take advantage of the greater interest.
BU71
fredbear said:

Update

Next game against Liberty Clark scored only 9 points with only 1/7 from three point line. That is abysmal 14 percent! Many of.us said in previous threads that the world needed to give her time to adjust to the competition in wnba. But media hype and Nike would have none of it. She owned the game in college, the game not owns her. She will be a good player given time, but not sure she will ever own the sport again. Because of the BU players on Fever, I am pulling for her to be phenomenal, but the competition is way different in W. Lower expectations are a must.
Personally I never thought she would shine as bright at first as she did in college. In addition to upgrade in competition the hype put a big target on her, she will get everyone's best defensive efforts. In time she will become an all star level player or better but it will take time.
Cove Dawg
fredbear said:

Update

WTH, are you prognosticating the outcome of tomorrow's game? Pretty bold
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.