Story Poster
Photo by Baylor Athletics
Baylor Women's Basketball

Thoughts on Lady Bears vs. South Carolina

December 2, 2018

Here are some thoughts on the #4 Lady Bears win over #18 South Carolina on the road in the Big 12/SEC Challenge.

1. Lauren Cox at the 3 is going to give opposing teams fits
  2. The big lineup can also shoot the three and there will be few teams able to get out on Cox and Smith
  3. Great to DeCosta on the court and get experience 
  4. Juicy Landrum and Moon Ursin opened up the lane with three point shooting
  5. The freshmen still have some defense to learn, but they are impressive when in the flow on offense
  6. The point guard position didn’t hurt tonight with the press applied by USC
  7. The score may not reflect the blowout this was in the end
  8. South Carolina didn’t employ the “Hack-A-Shaq” but they were allowed to be physical inside
  9. Play got a little sloppy in the early 4th and Kim called a timeout to get the team’s attention and it worked
  10. 94 points is the most South Carolina has given up in the Dawn Staley era
Discussion from...

Thoughts on Lady Bears vs. South Carolina

5,222 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GoldenBear
WestTexSand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lady Bears make a strong statement on the road against a powerhouse program. This year's USC squad is unquestionably weaker than recent years, but hopefully they will toughen up and this will still look like a quality Baylor win in March...
There was lots to like in this performance and still plenty of growth edges for Kim to point out in the film room this week...
And perhaps Chloe will be exactly good enough at PG... maybe even real good...
3rdgenbear
Dominating performance by the Lady Bears tonight. They started off with Chloe hitting pull up jumpers, Juicy hitting threes, and 14 of the first 16 outside the paint. That kind of balanced offensive output makes it a lot tougher to commit to doubling up on Kalani and Lauren, and if you don't, they'll make you pay, as they did tonight. IMO, few teams in the country could have stayed with us tonight. As usual, CKM and coaching staff have them right where they need to be.
gone to Tickfaw
"few teams could have stayed up with us tonight..."

hmmm. did you watch Notre Dame vs UCONN. I'm afraid it's UCONN again.

You simply can't have a wasted offensive possession against them.

and who, on the Lady Bears, will guard Williams? Only Moon is athletic and quick enough
GrizBear
fujobear said:

"few teams could have stayed up with us tonight..."

hmmm. did you watch Notre Dame vs UCONN. I'm afraid it's UCONN again.

You simply can't have a wasted offensive possession against them.

and who, on the Lady Bears, will guard Williams? Only Moon is athletic and quick enough
"few teams" That means not very many.
Fortunately, most games are not played in fujobear's head.
zt1014
My thoughts on the game and team thus far.

1. We overall looked the best we have all season.
2. Kalani is playing like Kalani again. Still gotta work on making some of the easy ones she missed.
3. Kim must have confidence in DeCosta since she hadn't played since exhibition games.
4. Freshman are getting better and we are giving them valuable minutes.
5. Free throws were better.
6. 3pt shooting is looking good.
7. Chloe is getting better at PG.
8. I loved seeing the guards drive the lane
9. Defense continues to get better.
10. Guard's are learning they can't just rely on the post.

Player thoughts:

1. Keep giving DeCosta minutes so she will get back in the swing of things.
2. LC just does so many things.
3. Didi needs to start because she is dynamite on defense as long as he doesn't get into foul trouble. When she is in things happen with her.
4. Kalani keep working to get out your slump. Last night was a big break for you!
5. Nalyssa you played okay, but I could see your frustration on your face. Keep your head up because it will take time.
6. Moon continues to grow and prove her worth.

If they can play like this and shoot like this against Stanford they will win.
Chibears2
I DID watch the game. For three quarters, it was a relatively tight game. Then freshman Christyn Williams asserted herself and it was bye-bye ND. UConn is tough, no doubt, but now a little more is on film. Now a little more is known about Williams. There's a little more time for coaches to work on game plan. Not saying we beat UConn. Ladies will have to play their best game. And UConn is a tougher team by far than SC, so remains to be seen if we can play the same game as last night against the Huskies. But I agree that last night's performance was encouraging with respect to competing with Connecticut. Have to keep building off it...
GoldenBear
Chibears2 said:

I DID watch the game. For three quarters, it was a relatively tight game. Then freshman Christyn Williams asserted herself and it was bye-bye ND. UConn is tough, no doubt, but now a little more is on film. Now a little more is known about Williams. There's a little more time for coaches to work on game plan. Not saying we beat UConn. Ladies will have to play their best game. And UConn is a tougher team by far than SC, so remains to be seen if we can play the same game as last night against the Huskies. But I agree that last night's performance was encouraging with respect to competing with Connecticut. Have to keep building off it...
We have enough time for the Lady Bears to continue their upward progression. After the finals break, we have other games in which to take the needed development steps before we take on and defeat UConn. We can put DiDi on Williams and shut her down, that is, providing Richards doesn't reach, grab and moves her feet playing solid positional defense..
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.