UIL orders Duncanville to investigate possible recruiting of Junior, Deja Kelley

5,902 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Ethridge
DFW Bill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This morning, the Texas UIL ordered the Duncanville ISD to investigate the possible recruiting of highly ranked 5'8" Guard, Deja Kelley.

Kelley played summer ball in 2018 on an elite level team with Sarah Andrews and Hannah Gusters, both of Irving MacArthur.

As a 7th grader Deja Kelley gave a verbal to Texas, she withdrew that last year.

Is this more of the Gusters story? Stay tuned.
WacoKelly83
Isn't she the player who decommitted from UT recently?
DFW Bill
Yes
DFW Bill
There is no news as to who Kelley may be looking at school wise, at the current time.
bowdedg
https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/high-school/hs-basketball/uil-orders-internal-investigation-at-duncanville/287-dd6259d5-ee0e-4347-a5ae-50ab5170b3ad
EasyE
It would be interesting to know what is going on behind the scenes. Seems like possibly a bit of a payback for the Gusters situation. I wonder if someone from Gusters' camp or from MacArthur was a whistle blower.
baylor1984
EasyE said:

It would be interesting to know what is going on behind the scenes. Seems like possibly a bit of a payback for the Gusters situation. I wonder if someone from Gusters' camp or from MacArthur was a whistle blower.
Cathy resigned tonight. Gusters was the whistleblower. Sarah and Hannah to BU.
EasyE
baylor1984 said:

EasyE said:

That might change the recruiting scene for BU at a prime location, and open the doors that seemed to be welded shut and colored burnt orange.
baylor1984
Yes it could.
longtimebear
EasyE said:

baylor1984 said:

EasyE said:

That might change the recruiting scene for BU at a prime location, and open the doors that seemed to be welded shut and colored burnt orange.
I apologize EasyE and 1984, Could one of you translate your above conversation. I don't follow too good.
WacoKelly83
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2019/02/13/duncanville-girls-basketball-coach-cathy-self-morgan-resigns-after-eight-state-titles-amid-investigation-possible-recruiting-violations

Sheridane Gusters, the mother of former Duncanville star Hannah Gusters, told The Dallas Morning News that she has evidence that Self-Morgan was recruiting players to Duncanville. She said she has copies of text messages between Self-Morgan and local trainer/AAU coach Earl Rooks that her attorney sent to the District 6-6A executive committee and that were then sent by the DEC to the UIL for her daughter's eligibility hearings.
WacoKelly83
I wonder how this will affect Deja Kelly? This could get really interesting.
Chibears2
Really interesting, indeed....
EasyE
longtimebear said:

EasyE said:

baylor1984 said:

EasyE said:

I apologize EasyE and 1984, Could one of you translate your above conversation. I don't follow too good.

Duncanville has had a long history of producing (or recruiting apparently) high division 1 talent, yet Baylor has not been able to get any of them to sign with them. Texas, on the other hand, has had such a significant connection to the program, that a vast majority of that talent has headed to Austin. Joyner Holmes is one of the more recent examples. When Gusters transferred to Irving Mac Arthur, it really changed the recruiting game for Baylor in regards to recruiting Gusters (Macarthur is Baylor friendly; See Odyssey Sims, Alexis Jones). I'm sure some of you out there who are more deeply involved in the HS girls programs could provide even more details.
WasheFuzzy
Just WOW. This should free up Baylor's recruiting of Duncanville players, although there may be fewer prime recruits now.
WasheFuzzy
EasyE said:

longtimebear said:

EasyE said:

baylor1984 said:

EasyE said:

Duncanville has had a long history of producing (or recruiting apparently) high division 1 talent, yet Baylor has not been able to get any of them to sign with them. Texas, on the other hand, has had such a significant connection to the program, that a vast majority of that talent has headed to Austin. Joyner Holmes is one of the more recent examples. When Gusters transferred to Irving Mac Arthur, it really changed the recruiting game for Baylor in regards to recruiting Gusters (Macarthur is Baylor friendly; See Odyssey Sims, Alexis Jones). I'm sure some of you out there who are more deeply involved in the HS girls programs could provide even more details.
Didn't Holmes go to Cedar Hill?
geewago
The optics (timing of the investigation coupled with the retirement) makes this look bad even if it isn't.
geewago
Joyner Holmes= Cedar Hill

Tiffany Jackson = Duncanville
WacoKelly83
Ariel Atkins - Duncanville

Lots of d-1 talent
GarlandBear84
Doesn't it appear that the Gusters are trying to get back at the coach for blocking Hannah's immediate eligibility at MacArthur after her transfer?
PapaBear6
The way I understand UIL transfer rules, the receiving district coaches vote to block or allow the transfer, so the district with Irving would have been the one to block it and not Duncanville.
longtimebear
EasyE said:

longtimebear said:

EasyE said:

baylor1984 said:

EasyE said:

AAAHHHHH! I get it now. Thanks EasyE
Brian Ethridge
Staff
WacoKelly83 said:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2019/02/13/duncanville-girls-basketball-coach-cathy-self-morgan-resigns-after-eight-state-titles-amid-investigation-possible-recruiting-violations

Sheridane Gusters, the mother of former Duncanville star Hannah Gusters, told The Dallas Morning News that she has evidence that Self-Morgan was recruiting players to Duncanville. She said she has copies of text messages between Self-Morgan and local trainer/AAU coach Earl Rooks that her attorney sent to the District 6-6A executive committee and that were then sent by the DEC to the UIL for her daughter's eligibility hearings.
AAU coach steering kids to schools?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.