9 Player Rotation

3,055 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by slimecap
3rdgenbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Slowly, but surely, DeCosta is making her presence felt.
Moon, Smith, and Queen have established themselves coming off the bench and I think DeCosta may see more action at the 3. If nothing else, it allows Didi to play very aggressive on defense.

Along with double digit scoring (3/4 3pt), a steal or so, and decent rebounding, one of her most impressive contributions yesterday was good defense and zero fouls - a very good sign.
HoustonBear15
I think when it gets to a closer game, CKM will stick with her 6-7 player rotation like she did in the most recent ISU game.
BaylorTaxman
Kim was going to put Caitlin in towards the end of the third, but Caitlin seemed to be having a hard time removing her warm-ups and Kim called her back to the bench (not sure if related to warm-ups or if Kim just changed her mind). She then did not go back in until there were about two minutes left. No sure if Kim was frustrated, or just wanted to give the five that were on the floor more time.
3rdgenbear
Yeah, the delay in putting her in seemed like a message - Be ready when called! .....freshman moment.

Watching shoot-around, Caitlin can definitely shoot. She is going to be good.

I also think the rotation will be tight in close games, but things can happen and it is nice to have options depending on the situations and matchups. My thought is that I think CKM is gaining a little more confidence in DeCosta to use her as needed.

Baylor Dad in Va.
3rdgenbear said:

Slowly, but surely, DeCosta is making her presence felt.
Moon, Smith, and Queen have established themselves coming off the bench and I think DeCosta may see more action at the 3. If nothing else, it allows Didi to play very aggressive on defense.

Along with double digit scoring (3/4 3pt), a steal or so, and decent rebounding, one of her most impressive contributions yesterday was good defense and zero fouls - a very good sign.

As we all know by now, Aquira was injured to begin the season. Kim said the injury has set her back 3 months. It is just now that she is able to play 100% healthy and is rapidly turning into a contributor. She just needs to settle in according to Kim. Aquira is the same size and length as Didi, but is a better three-point perimeter shooter and scorer. All she needs to do now is prove that she can play defense well enough so as to not hurt the team. Kim is not worried about her offensive abilities - she is watching her defense. Yesterday Aquira moved her feet well and kept them out of the paint -- showing a lot of improvement according to Kim. If she continues doing this, and continues to make progress, we can definitely expect to see more and more of her on the floor.

Kim ended her remarks on Aquira by saying that she thought that she had a great game yesterday.
ChapBear
DeCosta has been the first non-guard sub in the last several games. She, Smith and Egbo are going to be great next year.

But I still believe that Didi with an offseason of shooting skills development can be an All Conference Player.

So next year we have:

Juicy at point (rotating with Honesty)
Moon at shooting guard (rotating with Trinity) - freshman in the wings
Didi at the 3 (rotating with Aquira)
Cox at the 4 (rotating with Smith)
Egbo at the 5 (rotating with Cox)

Smaller but more athletic and quick in the inside. Key to our success will be the ability to get consistent offense from Didi at the 3 and consistent defense from Aquira at the 3. Teams will still not be able to play us honestly because of the double teams that Cox will continue to force on opponents.
skilledup
ChapBear said:

DeCosta has been the first non-guard sub in the last several games. She, Smith and Egbo are going to be great next year.

But I still believe that Didi with an offseason of shooting skills development can be an All Conference Player.

So next year we have:

Smaller but more athletic and quick in the inside. Key to our success will be the ability to get consistent offense from Didi at the 3 and consistent defense from Aquira at the 3. Teams will still not be able to play us honestly because of the double teams that Cox will continue to force on opponents.

Don't be surprised to see DeCosta leap frog moon. A healthy Aquira is going to be trouble. Also I won't be surprised if she moved Richards over to the point. She had her run it yesterday and in practice I've seen her do it a lot lately.

Last week the first team beat the second team by 17 points and then Mulkey put Richards at the point for the second team while adding Aquira to the first team. Honesty played the 2 where she is better suited while Richards was at the point, and the second team lost by 1. Queen had a chance to win the game but missed both free throws with one second on the clock.
3rdgenbear
Didi is a lock down defensive player and can defend any 1,2 or 3 in the country, so she is very hard to get off the floor. She has some point skills and can distribute the ball. As we all know, she doesn't have much confidence in her shot and probably rightly so. It's not a very repeatable stroke. Nina's was a bit similar but she made it work and could hit it inside 16 ft consistently. She also could hit everything from almost any body position inside 8...amazing!

Just curious, who did Didi guard in the scrimmage?
LadyChickBear
ChapBear said:

So next year we have:

Interesting she played Didi at point toward the end.... She is active and quite the ball handler?
GrizBear
skilledup said:

ChapBear said:

So next year we have:

Don't be surprised to see DeCosta leap frog moon. A healthy Aquira is going to be trouble. Also I won't be surprised if she moved Richards over to the point. She had her run it yesterday and in practice I've seen her do it a lot lately.

Last week the first team beat the second team by 17 points and then Mulkey put Richards at the point for the second team while adding Aquira to the first team. Honesty played the 2 where she is better suited while Richards was at the point, and the second team lost by 1. Queen had a chance to win the game but missed both free throws with one second on the clock.
Ehhhhhh ... I like your input, skilledup, but I think Moon is a fixture from here on ... Solid. Solid. Solid.

I do agree DeCosta will be a star. This is not an either/or situation.
skilledup
3rdgenbear said:

Didi is a lock down defensive player and can defend any 1,2 or 3 in the country, so she is very hard to get off the floor. She has some point skills and can distribute the ball. As we all know, she doesn't have much confidence in her shot and probably rightly so. It's not a very repeatable stroke. Nina's was a bit similar but she made it work and could hit it inside 16 ft consistently. She also could hit everything from almost any body position inside 8...amazing!

Just curious, who did Didi guard in the scrimmage?

Richards and Jackson were guarding one another. Mulkey screamed at Richards, saying "why don't you shoot those shots when you are playing with the green team Didi"? She scored from all over the mid range area.

Talked to Messer after practice and she told me "people forget Didi scored close to 2500 points in high school while missing almost a full season". I told her I had no idea of that and that's interesting.
skilledup
On another note, Morris was in Waco all weekend wearing Baylor gear.
gone to Tickfaw
Morris.

Hope she's not hanging with the team.

either redeemed and new and helpful, or toxic.

Stringer probably won't return to Rutgers, who lost in the first round.
Eball
I am trying hard not to think about next year....I want to focus on this year and see them finish it...we have lots of time to talk and speculate on next year...I get it though hard to not be excited and curious...it will be different...no 6'7" -6'8" girl in the middle like we have had for the last 8 out of 9 years!

One year between Griner and Brown...Higgins and Sune were our big girls. lost to ND in the elite 8 Sims Sr. year.
slimecap
Eball said:

I am trying hard not to think about next year ...
no 6'7" - 6'8" girl in the middle like we have had for the last 8 out of 9 years!
Possibility of graduate transfer ??
Maybe not quite 6-7, but could be close.

"But no matter what happens over the next few weeks, Chloe Jackson's impact will resonate long after she leaves Waco. After the guard's success this year, Kim Mulkey said she plans to keep one scholarship available each year for a graduate transfer.

"It's not going to bother me if everybody's going to say Baylor's going to be the graduate transfer university now in women's basketball," Mulkey said. "And I think I'd have to give credit to Chloe."

- Ben Baby, Dallas Morning News, 23 March 2019
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.