Will Aston make it thru the season?

9,505 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by WacoKelly83
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do they have sheriffs in Hawaii?

Lone Star
slimecap said:

Do they have sheriffs in Hawaii?

Ouch!
IslandBear
Oh my! Hawaii isn't very good from what I've seen so far. Watched the Rainbow Wahine lose on TV to North Texas (Aston's former employer) on Friday night.

Yes we have sheriffs in Hawaii. The real kind and the Stan Sheriff Center, an exact replica of the Ferrell.
willtalk
I don't know why everyone keeps bringing up Scott Rueck as a potential coach to get. He is not leaving Oregon. If he was going to leave for greener pastures he would have left already. He is a born and raised Oregonian, who went to Oregon St. He is not going to leave his alma mater and the Oregon forests for the wide-open spaces for any amount of money. Unless Mount St Helens has a massive eruption.
blueeyedbear
OMG. We are watching a train wreck of biblical proportions.
Now they are going to get a real coach in there unless she turns this around and wins conference and the tournament and makes a deep run in the NCAA tourney.
Not going to happen - She is toast for sure now. The forks are coming out.
bearbone11
This season is pretty clearly doomed to failure with Aston. They have four losses, and only one of those teams has even close to comparable talent to Texas. Hawaii lost to Texas Southern last week for goodness sake. Assuming they lose to Tennessee next week, I think Aston could get fired if they lose to Ohio the week after that. It is unusual for coaches to get fired mid-season in non-revenue sports, but she is in a contract year and the season could possibly still be salvaged with competent leadership. There is just no excuse for the results they are getting. This could be worse than what happened at Tennessee over the last few seasons.

As much fun as it is to watch Texas suffer, their incompetence could end up hurting Baylor, as it looks unlikely any team will be at all competitive with us in the Big 12.
R11
gone to Tickfaw
no team with Charlie Collier, Holmes, Sutton, Celeste, Higgs should lose to a mid major. It's tragic.
gone to Tickfaw
then again, Indiana beat South Carolina and we didn't...
Eball
But we beat Indiana
SirBearALot
I was going to revise my prediction that Texas would lose 4 or 5 games before they play Lady Bears a few days ago to ten loses. I failed to report my prediction before Hawaii game. But now even more so. TcU will beat them. Maybe Kansas too. Tech is off to a strong start as well.
RSBear
Aston looks like she may be getting closer to the end of her days as deputy sheriff in Texas.
DanaDane
Plenty of time to right the ship for Aston. Besides, I don't get the overjous happiness with their demise since they are the only other Big12 program with even an inkling of respect from the media. The Big 12 is already perceived as an overall weak conference. This serves to only prove it's Cinderella and the 9 dwarves. We lose another game and it will be almost impossible for us to ever get to a #1 seed given such a weak conference.
Malbec
DanaDane said:

Plenty of time to right the ship for Aston. Besides, I don't get the overjous happiness with their demise since they are the only other Big12 program with even an inkling of respect from the media. The Big 12 is already perceived as an overall weak conference. This serves to only prove it's Cinderella and the 9 dwarves. We lose another game and it will be almost impossible for us to ever get to a #1 seed given such a weak conference.
That t-shirt is a little tight on you. Any Baylor Bear would get it.
wbbfantalk
bearbone11 said:

As much fun as it is to watch Texas suffer, their incompetence could end up hurting Baylor, as it looks unlikely any team will be at all competitive with us in the Big 12.
The Big 12 after Baylor was weak last year, but this year looks even worse. It's not inconceivable to think it might be a one-bid conference this year. Texas might not even hit .500 on the season. K-State already lost to UTA and Memphis. TCU is down due to graduation. It's hard to imagine Kansas or Tech being much better than last year, i.e. bad. Oklahoma hardly looks much better either. Probably Iowa State and West Virginia have the best chance of making the NCAA tournament, but none has beaten anyone good yet. ISU lost to Drake and WV lost to Creighton.

This can create a vicious cycle because unless these other teams pick up quality wins in the non-conference, their opportunities for quality wins in the Big 12 will be precious and few. Kinda like what the other teams in the AAC face with UConn.
Lone Star
I have no concerns. If we are able to win out the rest of the way including UConn, like last year, we will be one of the top 4 seeds. We can't control the strength of our conference, we can only control our wins/losses.

I expect pretty much all of the teams in the PAC-12 to have at least 2 losses each in conference play.

blueeyedbear
Lone Star said:

I have no concerns. If we are able to win out the rest of the way including UConn, like last year, we will be one of the top 4 seeds. We can't control the strength of our conference, we can only control our wins/losses.

I expect pretty much all of the teams in the PAC-12 to have at least 2 losses each in conference play.

I would agree on 2 loses at the top - they are going to beat each other up - that's to our advantage - no tears from me
Oregon is not the gorilla in the room all the "experts" were saying they are.
Bone Squad
Coach Aston has made a habit of under-performing with her talent. Remember the year that UT had more McDonalds All-Americans than we had healthy players period? And we still coasted to double digit victories over them?

And yet I am still honestly shocked at how badly this season is going for them.

I don't feel in the least bit bad for the Longhorns or their fans. But, they sure picked a bad year to be awful, since the rest of the conference seems to also be down this year. The only team I hold out hope for getting and staying ranked is West Virginia. I am gonna have to start rooting hard for the 'Eers the rest of the season.
Valkyrie
I have no issues with UT losing all their games. However, I do wish the conference had more strong teams. It makes conference play a lot more entertaining.
Chibears2
I think Tech will be better. True we need stronger conference mates to help our resume. How concerned is Texas with WBB at the moment, considering their FB and MBB struggles? Is there concern or apathy from the higher ups?
WacoKelly83
West Virginia may end up being a tough out. If they can sort out the problems facing some of their players
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.