#17 West Virginia @ #2 Baylor | FS1

10,075 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
Mulder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
7,000 plus in the stands.
Great crowd.
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
Dcheetah
that speaks really well for our bench. They played the entire 4th quarter and 2plus minutes of the 3rd vs.the WVU starters. Juicy came in for just the last 1-2 min of the game for JO. Really good experience for our bench and really proud of this team. We are an outstanding team. Our D is fantastic. And we beat them without LC, Nalyssa, or T'ea having big offensive games. Loved what I saw from Moon tonight. Her D is great and I hope this really gives her the confidence to be a regular offensive weapon in future games.
Mulder
Dcheetah said:

that speaks really well for our bench. They played the entire 4th quarter and 2plus minutes of the 3rd vs.the WVU starters. Juicy came in for just the last 1-2 min of the game for JO. Really good experience for our bench and really proud of this team. We are an outstanding team. Our D is fantastic. And we beat them without LC, Nalyssa, or T'ea having big offensive games. Loved what I saw from Moon tonight. Her D is great and I hope this really gives her the confidence to be a regular offensive weapon in future games.

Our Bench is AWESOME!
jdrs
That performance tonight was just domination! Bet WVa couldn't wait to get out of Waco
Jack Bauer
Anyone know our last home loss off the top of their head... ??
bearbone11
Jack Bauer said:

Anyone know our last home loss off the top of their head... ??
Texas in 2017. West Virginia and UConn in 2014 are the only other home losses this decade.
R11
bowdedg
Anyone know where I can find the post game interviews?
slimecap
bowdedg said:

Anyone know where I can find the post game interviews?
Hi bowdedg,
Here is Baylor.

POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE Baylor

Mulder
Bearprof
Interesting game tonight. Even though we won by 40, I thought they Lady Bears could have played even better. Cox couldn't hit the broad side of a barn tonight but she rebounded so well, I can live with that. She also had two or three tipped balls that created several second chance points. If Moon plays half as well the rest of the season as she played tonight, her and Queen coming off the bench? Impressive. You could tell that Moon was in rhythm tonight. The ball just looked effortless coming off her hand. You can tell that the game has slowed down for her this year. She also played terrific defense.
bowdedg
Thanks Slime! Great seeing you as always!
Do you have the link for Carey's post game?
historian
IIRC, they said Moon had a career high in this game.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
ScottS
fubar said:

Hey Scotty, it's a palindrome! 62-26.

When I saw the palindrome tonight I almost posted that we had one. Think we lead the nation in palindromes?
slimecap
bowdedg said:

Thanks Slime! Great seeing you as always!
Do you have the link for Carey's post game?
Always great to see you, bowdedg! P.S. Thanks for the look at the championship ring replica. The TTT inscription was unique.

Still looking for the Mike Carey video. In the meantime, here are some written quotes:

WEST VIRGINIA HEAD COACH MIKE CAREY
Opening statement
"I really don't have a lot to say. Baylor has a great team and they played five times harder than we did. That's two games in a row people have played harder than us. We have no discipline right now. I was just in the locker room telling them how important discipline is. We have to get discipline back into the program. We have no discipline. That's my fault. I'll get the discipline back. Bad shots, don't reverse the ball and we have people that are trying to do too many one-on-one's. Bad shots lead to layups on the other end. Baylor has a great team."

On the discipline issue being new
"It's just the last two games. I don't know what it is. We played a little bit harder this game than we did against Oklahoma, but we don't have any discipline. I don't blame that on the players. If there are no consequences, they're not going to do it. So there's going to start being some consequences."

On playing against DiDi Richards and the Baylor defense
"She's a great defensive player, but here's an idea: come off a pick. Set up a pick. Give a ball fake and don't try to shoot over her. Get in the lane and if somebody helps, kick the ball out. There's a lot of things you can do. Get an offensive rebound or a steal. There's a lot of stuff, but you have to use picks."
Self Made Bear
I understand his frustration. The Lady Bears can do that to you. But there was not a team in America that could have hung with our ladies last night, discipline or not.
Mulder
The West Virginia Mountaineers = Donald Cerrone.

The Baylor Lady Bears = Conor McGregor.
Eball
What an awesome game and performance by our Lady Bears!
slimecap

"We have no discipline right now," said West Virginia coach Mike Carey, who spent an extended time in the locker room with his team after the game expressing that message.

"Bad shots, don't reverse the ball, don't move it, we've got people who are too much going 1-on-1. Bad shot leads to the layup on the other end."

- Stephen Hawkins, AP, 18 Jan 2020
fubar
ScottS said:

fubar said:

Hey Scotty, it's a palindrome! 62-26.

When I saw the palindrome tonight I almost posted that we had one. Think we lead the nation in palindromes?
I'm pretty sure we at least lead the nation in posting about palindromes.
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
setshot
The coaches from OSU and WVU have consecutively told Mulkey that this is her best team, stronger even than last year's national championship team. I concur with that view. This does not mean that this team will march to another national championship, as we all know. At least twice in the past the Lady Bears have had the best team in the nation, only to lose to a lesser team that was particularly hot from the field and comparably physically, and the national tournament is designed to make the road to the championship a difficult one. It will be interesting to see how this extraordinary group of athletes respond to the pressure that defending champions always face in attempting to duplicate the success of the preceding year.
blueeyedbear
setshot said:

The coaches from OSU and WVU have consecutively told Mulkey that this is her best team, stronger even than last year's national championship team. I concur with that view. This does not mean that this team will march to another national championship, as we all know. At least twice in the past the Lady Bears have had the best team in the nation, only to lose to a lesser team that was particularly hot from the field and comparably physically, and the national tournament is designed to make the road to the championship a difficult one. It will be interesting to see how this extraordinary group of athletes respond to the pressure that defending champions always face in attempting to duplicate the success of the preceding year.
Good valid point - Agreed but this team has that extraordinary team chemistry some folks were worried about earlier in the year and the raw athletic talent on this team is not just a couple of players but the entire team has some real God given talent. We stay healthy - we make final 4 - from there its about which team is on the best roll - I really think it will be BU under the confetti in April
PaulW74
Did anyone see a box score? To me it seemed like West Virginia scored more three point baskets than two pointers. Is that true?
historian
According to Baylor's box score, they had 7 of 10 3 pointers and 17 of 65 field goals. That means they had 10 2 pointers. Close, but still fewer.

https://baylorbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2019-20/west-virginia/boxscore/25334
BaylorTaxman
historian said:

According to Baylor's box score, they had 7 of 10 3 pointers and 17 of 65 field goals. That means they had 10 2 pointers. Close, but still fewer.

https://baylorbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2019-20/west-virginia/boxscore/25334

They hit 7 of 28 three-pointers. Yes, they had ten two-point FGs, several of which came in the fourth quarter.
historian
Obviously, I goofed. 25% is a far cry from 70%.
Lone Star
setshot said:

It will be interesting to see how this extraordinary group of athletes respond to the pressure that defending champions......
I always prefer "reigning" National Champions over "defending" National Champions.

I heard Geno tell his players after they won their last NC: "you are defending nothing. Nobody is going to come in here and steal that trophy from you". Meaning, what is done is done and you now have to look at winning another one not "defending" the last one.
historian
Good point. I think people just naturally use the terms interchangeably without realizing they don't mean the same thing.
uglytobone
Anyone have a link to a free replay? Thanks!
historian
https://big12sports.com/watch/

Click on Replays then use the filters to find the Baylor WBB game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.