*** Game Thread - #2/#1 Lady Bears @ UR/UR TCU ***

27,017 Views | 333 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rileyroo
Wichitabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No denying that!
Eball
Florda_mike said:

Eball said:

Interesting how all the coaches who know better come out to post after a game where...we go on the road against a SR. dominated team that was at the time second in the league, lose our leading scorer as a result of a game time decision play less than our best and yet still come away with a 9 point win pulling away in the 4th quarter.

Our depth and ability to run our starters on average less than 30 minutes a game enabled us to tighten the rotation to 7 and play some girls significant minutes yet still play our best in the last 10 minutes of the game.

I think some of you all think coaching is just about managing a team game by game...at this level it is about managing a team for the whole season.

It was a brutal performance in some respects and I am sure Kim will have some points to coach up...but it was also a win that under the circumstances was pretty darn good and I am sure Kim was happy to get on the bus and get out of there with the win.

Uh, ok so should I now apologize?

I just thought Jordyn might have been a good option last nite but I'll think twice before mentioning next time for sure
no apology needed it is what fans do...most of us get a little perspective though after some time to reflect. For whatever reason our three guards struggled with TO's Didi, Tea and Juicy had 13 of the total 18 TO's that is just bad...some of that may have had to do with TCU's defense and strenghts and they way they were defending. It was probably not a good idea to put Trinity and JO in the game under those circumstances as they have not faced that kind of defense and environment. The game was just too close. You want your younger less experienced players to play but you also want them to build confidence. I do know Kim went with Moon for long stretches so it is not as if she was not trying to find a guard that could run our stuff and not commit TO's
Eball
bearbone11 said:

Someone remind Queen that she can't shoot.
Ok...I am not picking on you specifically bearbone11 but your post and a few others sort of bothered me...I was unable to watch the game until the second half and so I had to keep up by following the ESPN app and clicking on this game thread...as I was driving home listening to the TCU thread they mentioned how well Queen was playing and that she was really the only one for BU having a good game...that TCU had no answer for her inside.

Well of course she fouled out and was plagued by foul trouble all game so I really did not get to watch her that much but her stat line was really good. 14 points and 7 rebounds in 23 minutes played 4 Offensive rebounds. She also shot 7-10...compare to Cox who shot 5-12 and Cooper who shot 5-14...

I know she has areas of her game to work on like blocking out, not picking up silly fouls and Free throw shooting but she is a critical piece of the rotation and a pretty darn good weapon for us right now (and getting better). WE need to all show some patience and realize if she is on the CRT and not in foul trouble we likely win by double figures as TCU had no answer for her inside.
Pale Rider
E knows B. Listen.
Malbec
Eball said:

bearbone11 said:

Someone remind Queen that she can't shoot.
Ok...I am not picking on you specifically bearbone11 but your post and a few others sort of bothered me...I was unable to watch the game until the second half and so I had to keep up by following the ESPN app and clicking on this game thread...as I was driving home listening to the TCU thread they mentioned how well Queen was playing and that she was really the only one for BU having a good game...that TCU had nut o answer for her inside.

Well of course she fouled out and was plagued by foul trouble all game so I really did not get to watch her that much but her stat line was really good. 14 points and 7 rebounds in 23 minutes played 4 Offensive rebounds. She also shot 7-10...compare to Cox who shot 5-12 and Cooper who shot 5-14...

I know she has areas of her game to work on like blocking out, not picking up silly fouls and Free throw shooting but she is a critical piece of the rotation and a pretty darn good weapon for us right now (and getting better). WE need to all show some patience and realize if she is on the CRT and not in foul trouble we likely win by double figures as TCU had no answer for her inside.
I think there are parts of Queen's game that conflict with what you see from her on the court and her stat line and that can sometimes lead to frustration from fans. There are things that don't necessarily translate to a tangible stat line that need improvement. One of the most obvious to me is with her positioning and her handles. There seem to be many occasions where she just is a little out of position to control a pass or a rebound, or she just isn't able to secure the ball. It doesn't end up showing in the stat line as a TO for her. It either becomes a TO for the passer, or simply a ghost TO on a rebound that she should have secured. There are even times where she blocks out or has good body position, but she simply doesn't hang on to the ball, or leaves the ball exposed. It's one of those aspects of the game where a light needs to go off, and once it does, Queen is going to be a real steady force.
Chibears2
I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment, but sometimes what appears to be a post's "fumblitcis" can actually be the guards not entering the ball to them in a way that is most comfortable. Often, when a post is asked why they play so well with so-and-so, you'll hear them answer, "She just knows when and where and how to get me the ball." I think sometimes, our entry passes to Queen are a little slow, because in the past she didn't always post up so strong. Need to trust what they are seeing and get the ball to Queen early, as soon as she gets wide and shows her numbers, rather than waiting until defense is raking at ball.
blackie
Florda_mike said:

baylorbear33 said:

I'm having a hard time understanding why CKM didn't give her bench players an opportunity to spark something for the game. Starters were struggling-why not try something different? Pull in some players that weren't scouted heavily and could actually make some free throws.

Mulkey seemed to have an off game too

Perhaps having nothing to do with anything, but on the post game show Kim hinted that she hadn't been feeling well.
Florda_mike
blackie said:

Florda_mike said:

baylorbear33 said:

I'm having a hard time understanding why CKM didn't give her bench players an opportunity to spark something for the game. Starters were struggling-why not try something different? Pull in some players that weren't scouted heavily and could actually make some free throws.

Mulkey seemed to have an off game too

Perhaps having nothing to do with anything, but on the post game show Kim hinted that she hadn't been feeling well.

Sure makes sense doesn't it?

Thanks
Wichitabear
I think by the time she got up to the line for her free throws and missed, we had seen nobody making their FTs. Hince, part of that comment was probably out of frustration. Everyone was missing their FTs. Just rediculous. Maddening.
blueeyedbear
longtimebear said:

baylorbear33 said:

Kim, God bless her, can be a little hard headed sometimes.
You got that right !!!
bearbone11
Wichitabear said:

I think by the time she got up to the line for her free throws and missed, we had seen nobody making their FTs. Hince, part of that comment was probably out of frustration. Everyone was missing their FTs. Just rediculous. Maddening.
The comment was made right after we had consecutive possessions where Queen missed a relatively long jumper. Given Queen's skill set, a 15 foot jumper is not a good shot. Both of the shots were followed by transition opportunities for TCU which were converted. Queen is enormously gifted athletically, but it is important to understand your limitations as a player and play to your strengths. We have too many weapons to settle for less than optimal shots. Queen was not the only one guilty of this yesterday, that sequence just stuck out to me because it came at a time we could've put the game away, but instead let them right back into it.
R11
Wichitabear
Ah, yes. I get what your saying now.
blueeyedbear
bearbone11 said:

Wichitabear said:

The comment was made right after we had consecutive possessions where Queen missed a relatively long jumper. Given Queen's skill set, a 15 foot jumper is not a good shot. Both of the shots were followed by transition opportunities for TCU which were converted. Queen is enormously gifted athletically, but it is important to understand your limitations as a player and play to your strengths. We have too many weapons to settle for less than optimal shots. Queen was not the only one guilty of this yesterday, that sequence just stuck out to me because it came at a time we could've put the game away, but instead let them right back into it.
Excellent point !! I hope lessons learned from this game was how valuable each possession is in a close game. The ladies showed a lot of heart and pulled this one out against a pretty good team that is one of the few that can match up well against us. So both lessons will help come tournament time. Queen needs to learn her game right now is rebounding and scoring on high lows from Cox and the guards not out on the perimeter. The officials were terrible Moon getting tagged with a blocking foul was a head scratcher and a couple of Juciy's ticketed fouls - if those were fouls why did we not get the same calls ?? I wonder if Kim was sick if some of the ladies had a bit of the bug as well.
Wineguy89
Good point about the ladies maybe feeling puny too. LC sure didn't appear to have her usually level of energy last night.

?
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
Wichitabear
Yep. Sluggish
Chibears2
Queen was the player interview on the radio after the West Virginia game. Maggie asked her what she was working on improving. Queen listed several things, free throws and mid range jumpers amongst them.
whitetrash
The difference in the game:

From the start of the 4th quarter until Te'a hit BU's last bucket (the shotclock-beating 3 with 2:37 to go), BU went 6-7 from the field while TCU went 2-11. After that, we finally went 7-10 from the line to close it out.
historian
In other words, typical Lady Bears domination. I could get used to it.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Eball
I can't even remember which thread this goes on but to those who continue to stress Queen's shooting and shot selection she is shooting through yesterday the highest % on the team 60%...now she is shooting the lowest % on FT's among the top rotation players 51.9% so does she need to work on FT's yes...

I think her defense and blocking out need some work as well but some of you ignore her strong points and what she does right for the team. Or at least it seems that way to me.
rileyroo
We will beat TCU by 20+ in Waco. Ft. Worth was an anomaly. We won't miss that many free throws again and Smith will hopefully be back. We played the worst game of our season and won by 9 on the road to a team in the upper tier of our conference. It happens. As a reminder, UT lost to the frogs at home.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.