Baseball
Sponsored by

We're not just bad

7,335 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by johnnychimpo
parch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are objectively the worst P5 baseball team in the country right now, the only one with only 1 win through the first 8 games.

Four of our starters are batting under .180. We only have three batters who look like they're even D1 talents. Our top weekend starters have ERAs over 6.50 and look overmatched and overwhelmed every time out. We have multiple guys in the bullpen who've appeared in 4 games now with ERAs over 9.00.

Eight games is a big enough sample size to start getting a sense of what we have, and we might actually be worse than we were last year, and last year was the worst season for Baylor baseball since the 1950's. I legitimately do not see the master plan here.
baylorfan1995
Idk if Mitch should come back if this year doesnt show any signs of improvement, this team is lifeless. *** is going on, other private schools have good baseball.
CorsicanaBear
IowaBear
I think there's a decent chance this team doesn't win double digit games. They're just straight putrid
ALLBEAR
Trust the process. As Matt Rhule once said
MrGolfguy
They have suffered 2 key injuries already, not part of the plan. Makes a difference, although not the reason for the suck it does make a difference.
Jorkel
I think we are finding out one of the big reason our best player last year didn't want to stick around.
Stefano DiMera
We lost 22-1....20-3...and 10-2 to Duke last year at beginning...and got run ruled regularly after that..

We may be bad but we're more competitive so far this year.
Stefano DiMera
Three major injuries..and four total done for year.
Daveisabovereproach
Stefano DiMera said:

We lost 22-1....20-3...and 10-2 to Duke last year at beginning...and got run ruled regularly after that..

We may be bad but we're more competitive so far this year.

I'll give you credit for staying positive. The poop I took today is indeed less stinky than the one I took yesterday, so there's that
ScottS
Mack appreciates the discussion
Marlin3030
I bought into the hype of this team will be better than last year. I know it's early and things can change but dang, staying positive is not easy.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Whats coach Smith doing these days?
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Oldbear83
The old Mark 1 Eyeball tells me we have no pitching to speak off, starting or closing, we make a lot of fielding mistakes, and our coach seems to nap a lot, judging by mid-game adjustments that happen several batters too late.

We are a team with some talent and players who try hard, but we lack the talent and the coaching to do more than lose consistently after putting up a few innings that raise false hopes.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Stefano DiMera
It's not about staying positive..

It's being realistic when you've only played 8 games out of 50 or so .

Baseball more than the other 2 sports give you a lot more time to jell and get it
PartyBear
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

That's the strange thing. He basically has done nothing of note post Baylor. I thought he was reputable enough here that he would have a fairly big time post Baylor career when he was let go. It's almost like he has been as black balled as Briles but for reasons if so, I have no idea.
Stefano DiMera
PartyBear said:

That's the strange thing. He basically has done nothing of note post Baylor. I thought he was reputable enough here that he would have a fairly big time post Baylor career when he was let go. It's almost like he has been as black balled as Briles but for reasons if so, I have no idea.

He went to Auburn as pitching coach...then head coach of Tennessee Tech .he's now with Detroit Tigers organization.
PartyBear
I knew he had been at Tenn Tech. I however thought he would be worthy of getting shots at other P4 schools as HC.
jpaschal01
Stefano DiMera said:

PartyBear said:

He went to Auburn as pitching coach...then head coach of Tennessee Tech .he's now with Detroit Tigers organization.
He left the Tigers last year (I think it was in June). I think he is happily retired at this point but who knows...competitors get the itch to compete again.
Art_E_Guinn
Stefano DiMera said:

Baseball more than the other 2 sports give you a lot more time to jell and get it
Can you explain your logic behind this thought? I completely disagree but, to be fair, I'm not a huge baseball guy.

Stefano DiMera
Art_E_Guinn said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Can you explain your logic behind this thought? I completely disagree but, to be fair, I'm not a huge baseball guy.

Because baseball you play 50+.... basketball 35 and football 12 games?
SirBearALot
Now come the Patriots of DBU 10-1'
MrGolfguy
SirBearALot said:

Now come the Patriots of DBU 10-1'
Dallas Baptist vs Waco Baptist.........may the true Baptists win.
Baylorfan1989
Mitch cant expect to win in conference rolling out freshman pitchers, and hitters that are on trac to hit 1 hr every10/15 @bats. There has been lots of talk about players, dont get me wrong those freshman will contribute in time. Lets address the coaching decisions, Mitch is a juco coach who hasn't evolved. DBU up next along with Houston,Tech, and Texas. This will show Mitch in panic mode again.
SoonerFrogs
lolwut?
Jorkel
Baylorfan1989 said:

Mitch cant expect to win in conference rolling out freshman pitchers, and hitters that are on trac to hit 1 hr every10/15 @bats. There has been lots of talk about players, dont get me wrong those freshman will contribute in time. Let's address the coaching decisions, Mitch is a juco coach who hasn't evolved. DBU up next along with Houston,Tech, and Texas. This will show Mitch in panic mode again.

A home run every 10-15 at bats would be pretty good year if every player did on the team. That's like 15 home runs per player the whole year
Johnny Bear
Even with possible improvement over the course of the rest of the season this is obviously going to be another crap year for our baseball program with the injury issues certainly not helping. Hopefully we are "bottoming out" and things will head north thereafter. Thompson clearly needs and deserves more time, but if next year's team isn't at least respectable and consistently competitive, it's time to worry for sure.
BellCountyBear
I bet other teams get excited seeing Baylor next on their schedule!
Baylorfan1989
Half the guys Mitch brought in will leave and he will start over again.
BUGWBBear
These guys are the 1962 Mets.
Robert Wilson
If they don't improve as the season goes on, you've got to start to wonder about Mitch. He's got to either recruit or develop better - probably both.
jpaschal01
Robert Wilson said:

If they don't improve as the season goes on, you've got to start to wonder about Mitch. He's got to either recruit or develop better - probably both.
a ton of talent in the 2024 class. I can't see us blowing this thing up before that class gets to campus. And I've got to believe that Mitch has been given a pretty decent leash to allow him to know that is the case.
Robert Wilson
jpaschal01 said:

Robert Wilson said:

a ton of talent in the 2024 class. I can't see us blowing this thing up before that class gets to campus. And I've got to believe that Mitch has been given a pretty decent leash to allow him to know that is the case.
Agree with that.
baylorfan1995
PartyBear said:

He is an a**hole, thats why
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Sorry if he hurt your fellings. He has won more baseball games than any other Baylor coach. CWS, conference titles., big crowds. Good times...
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.