Trump's Threats of Violence

6,917 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by quash
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice Democracy You've Got Here. Shame If Something Happened to It.
Donald Trump's newest defense strategy is laced with menace.
By David A. Graham

In an interview yesterday, the conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt, a Trump critic turned flatterer, asked whether being criminally indicted would dissuade Trump from running for president in 2024. Trump took the answer in a dark direction.

"I don't think the people of the United States would stand for it," he said. "I think if it happened, I think you'd have problems in this country the likes of which perhaps we've never seen before. I don't think the people of the United States would stand for it."

The implication was clear enough that Hewitt felt the need to throw Trump a preemptive lifeline: "You know that the legacy media will say you're attempting to incite violence with that statement."

"That's not inciting," Trump replied. "I'm just saying what my opinion is. I don't think the people of this country would stand for it."

But there's no need to believe he's merely making an analytical judgment. Anyone else can see as clearly as Hewitt what Trump is doing. As The Atlantic's editor in chief, Jeffrey Goldberg, has noted, Trump commonly uses this mob-boss-derived method: He speaks in fluent innuendo and implication, making his desires clear while leaving himself just enough vagueness to be able to smirkingly deny it.

If there was a time when Trump didn't know how people would respond when he makes these veiled threats, it has passed. He understands now, and does it anyway. His persistence also helps show why his claims that his exhortations on January 6 were not incitement are not to be believed.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/09/trump-threats-violence/671458/
william
... and the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeths ensued.....

- el KKM

{ sipping coffee }

smelling salts for fair young samuel, stat!

D!
Dale?
4th and Inches
You have to know this, You help carry the water for the Dems every time you post these things. The focus should be on the failures of the current administration but by all means lets talk about a has been instead.

The Dems thank you.
Sam Lowry
4th and Inches said:

You have to know this, You help carry the water for the Dems every time you post these things. The focus should be on the failures of the current administration but by all means lets talk about a has been instead.

The Dems thank you.
I don't think there are many Dems reading this board. It's mostly Republicans arguing with each other about the future of the party and the country.
william
>>
effete
adjective
effete e-ft i-
: no longer fertile
a
: having lost character, vitality, or strength
the effete monarchies … of feudal Europe
G. M. Trevelyan
… macrophages that recycle used iron from effete red cells.
Nancy C. Andrews
b
: marked by weakness or decadence
the effete East
c
: soft or delicate from or as if from a pampered existence
peddled … trendy tweeds to effete Easterners
William Helmer
effete tenderfeet
also : characteristic of an effete person
a wool scarf … a bit effete on an outdoorsman
Nelson Bryant
: EFFEMINATE sense 1
a good-humored, effete boy brought up by maiden aunts
Herman Wouk
effetely adverb
effeteness noun

Did you know?
Effete derives from Latin effetus, meaning "no longer fruitful," and for a brief time in English it was used to describe an animal no longer capable of producing offspring. For most of its existence in English, however, the use of "effete" has been entirely figurative. For many years, the usual figurative sense of the word was "exhausted" or "worn out," but today "effete" is more likely to suggest overrefinement, weakness of character, snobbery, and effeminacy. "Effete" first showed signs of acquiring these shades of meaning in the 1920s, but it wasn't until the 1940s that the new "effete" clearly established itself in reputable writing. One example can be found in John Steinbeck's 1945 novel Cannery Row: "now and then some effete customer would order a stinger or an anisette."
<<
Dale?
Married A Horn
Lol. What an idiot.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Golem
Later Trump said, "There needs to be unrest in the streets for as long as there's unrest in our lives, and unfortunately, there's plenty to go around." I'm almost sure Trump said that.

And then he said of his supporters, "They're not gonna stop, and everyone beware, because they're not gonna stop. They're not gonna stop before Election Day in November, and they're not gonna stop after Election Day." He went on to say, "Everyone should take note of that, on both levels, that they're not going to let up and they should not. And we should not."

Trump didn't stop there, though. He took aim at the Biden administration, saying to his Trumpsters "If you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gas station, you get out and create a crowd and you push back on them and you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere." While some thought this was encouraging violence, Trump kept going. "The people are going to turn on them. They're going to protest. They're going to absolutely harass them until they decide that they're going to tell the President, 'No, I can't hang with you."

Not content to end with such overtly violent rhetoric, Trump continued, "I just don't know why there aren't uprisings all over the country. Maybe there will be."

(Just kidding, these were all statements by very prominent democrats. Leftists like Sam didn't make a peep when these nut jobs overtly called for violence)
william
Married A Horn said:

Lol. What an idiot.
not at all.

that's the real tragedy here.

'it's a terrible thing to lose one's mind.' - d. quayle

- el KKM

{ preperando un cafecito }

{ mirando la caja de donuts }

D!
Dale?
Married A Horn
I cant ever translate your posts. I was just referring to the op. Guessing you know that though.

Just making sure.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
william
Married A Horn said:

I cant ever translate your posts. I was just referring to the op. Guessing you know that though.

Just making sure.
I knew who u meant.

The question:

Can SL be saved?

Too far gone???

Discuss amongst yourselves.

- KKM

{ sipping fresh coffee }

{ eating donut }

{ LFS stares out the window sipping coffee wondering if SL can be brought back from the brink of salon-situated 'high brow' madness - and if so the exact steps to effectuate such a rescue - all while staring at a squirrel running around the trunk of a tree chasing his nuts }

Dale?
fubar
Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

The Dems thank you.
I don't think there are many Dems reading this board. It's mostly Republicans arguing with each other about the future of the party and the country.
Yep.
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
Wangchung
Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

The Dems thank you.
Democrats hate defending their positions. They avoid places that don't swallow DNC narrative wholeheartedly and when they do visit it's just to troll and spew venom.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Married A Horn
william said:

The question:

Can SL be saved?

Too far gone???

Discuss amongst yourselves

Matthew 7:6
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

The Dems thank you.
I don't think there are many Dems reading this board.
lol
Mothra
Golem said:

Later Trump said, "There needs to be unrest in the streets for as long as there's unrest in our lives, and unfortunately, there's plenty to go around." I'm almost sure Trump said that.

And then he said of his supporters, "They're not gonna stop, and everyone beware, because they're not gonna stop. They're not gonna stop before Election Day in November, and they're not gonna stop after Election Day." He went on to say, "Everyone should take note of that, on both levels, that they're not going to let up and they should not. And we should not."

Trump didn't stop there, though. He took aim at the Biden administration, saying to his Trumpsters "If you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gas station, you get out and create a crowd and you push back on them and you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere." While some thought this was encouraging violence, Trump kept going. "The people are going to turn on them. They're going to protest. They're going to absolutely harass them until they decide that they're going to tell the President, 'No, I can't hang with you."

Not content to end with such overtly violent rhetoric, Trump continued, "I just don't know why there aren't uprisings all over the country. Maybe there will be."

(Just kidding, these were all statements by very prominent democrats. Leftists like Sam didn't make a peep when these nut jobs overtly called for violence)
Obviously, that's because he knows this board is mostly Republican. And we all know its only bad when Republicans say those things. Outrage and calls for accountability only apply to Republicans.

Touche, by the way.
Mothra
fubar said:

Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

The Dems thank you.
Yep.
Says one of the Dems...

Nah, no lefties on this board.
Married A Horn
They are much more quiet these days. Their party is a bunch of lying corrupt child-grooming Chinese sell-outs and they know a red wave is coming.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Johnny Bear
Mothra said:

fubar said:

Sam Lowry said:

4th and Inches said:

The Dems thank you.
Yep.
Says one of the Dems...

Nah, no lefties on this board.

Don't you know they're all really either "Libertarians" or "life long Republicans" that just happen to be never Trumpers, or "Independents"………,,LOL!!
Sam Lowry
Golem said:

Debunked.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jan/07/facebook-posts/quotes-4-democrats-twisted-make-it-look-they-endor/
Wangchung
Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jan/07/facebook-posts/quotes-4-democrats-twisted-make-it-look-they-endor/

Debunked. We have seen the videos for ourselves. Not one democrat said to go and protest peacefully. That politifact fact check is the perfect example of why no rational adults trust politifact.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Sam Lowry
Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

Not one democrat said to go and protest peacefully.
Also debunked.

https://www.cnn.com/factsfirst/politics/factcheck_44839468-3d38-415c-b0b0-11ceb87d1ced
Wangchung
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

Also debunked.

https://www.cnn.com/factsfirst/politics/factcheck_44839468-3d38-415c-b0b0-11ceb87d1ced

Not a single one of those quotes changed with your CNN link. Try again.
Sam Lowry
Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

Also debunked.

No one takes issue with the existence of the quotes, but only the context in which they're presented.
Wangchung
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

Also debunked.

No one takes issue with the existence of the quotes, but only the context in which they're presented.
Exactly. And the context of each quote was to go out and cause trouble. Not a single one of the democrats who made those statements said anything about doing it peacefully, like Trump said on 1/6.
Sam Lowry
Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

Also debunked.

Exactly. And the context of each quote was to go out and cause trouble. Not a single one of the democrats who made those statements said anything about doing it peacefully, like Trump said on 1/6.
Only the Maxine Waters quote was troubling in context, and other Democrats did object to it as well.

https://reason.com/2018/06/25/maxine-waters-sanders-pelosi-schumer/?amp
Wangchung
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

Also debunked.

Only the Maxine Waters quote was troubling in context, and other Democrats did object to it as well.

No, every single call to violence was troubling, even if you don't care because the threats of violence were made by your side.
Sam Lowry
Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

Also debunked.

No, every single call to violence was troubling, even if you don't care because the threats of violence were made by your side.
I do care when threats come from my side. Which brings us back to the topic. Regardless of what Trump intended on Jan. 6, he now knows that the rioters believed they were acting on his wishes. He can't claim ignorance if it happens again.
whiterock
Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

Debunked. We have seen the videos for ourselves. Not one democrat said to go and protest peacefully. That politifact fact check is the perfect example of why no rational adults trust politifact.
exactly.

If we applied the same "analysis" to Trump's comments, then we must debunk Sam's nonsense. Absolutely nothing in Trump's statements occurred within the context of any ongoing violence, any ongoing demonstrations, etc.....and were clearly nothing but assessment. Nothing like the explicit calls to action we hear from Democrats.

Trump should keep it up. Flushes out the hypocrisy of the left.
Married A Horn
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

Also debunked.

Sam seriously thinks debunked means confirmed.

'Yes we did make these statements, but Trump is mean - therefore DEBUNKED.'
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Wangchung
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

Also debunked.

I do care when threats come from my side.
Debunked
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

exactly.

If we applied the same "analysis" to Trump's comments, then we must debunk Sam's nonsense. Absolutely nothing in Trump's statements occurred within the context of any ongoing violence, any ongoing demonstrations, etc.....and were clearly nothing but assessment. Nothing like the explicit calls to action we hear from Democrats.

Trump should keep it up. Flushes out the hypocrisy of the left.
An FBI office was attacked three days after they searched Mar-a-Lago. Online threats have increased, and more violence will be a concern as long as the case is ongoing. The inappropriateness of Trump's remarks in this context couldn't be more obvious.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

Also debunked.

Ah yes, politifact. The lefty-run website that uses opinion and commentary to "debunk" alleged false facts.

I love this attempt to explain away the quote of Ayana Pressley:

"Pressley did call for "unrest in the streets" with Tiffany Cross on MSNBC's "AM Joy" show."

"There was no indication Pressley necessarily meant anything other than peaceful protest."

Ah, so she wasn't "necessarily" calling for riots, even though riots, death and destruction were occurring throughout the country at the time. LOL.

And then there is this gem regarding Kamala Harris - mind you, the politician that helped bail the rioters out of jail:

"The quote attributed to Harris, that "protesters should not let up," is legitimate...

However, "Speaking remotely to late-show host Stephen Colbert in June 2020, Harris voiced support for the racial justice protests that were going on but she didn't say she wanted riots to continue.

Ah, of course politfact. Although cities were being burned and looted, clearly she didn't specifically say she wanted riots to continue when she said protestors "should not let up." Clearly.

And then of course with respect to Waters:

Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., is quoted as saying: "If you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and create a crowd and you push back on them, and you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere."

But of course, politifact's explanation of this was merely "Waters urging attendees at the event to keep "pushing back" against members of the Trump administration with whom they disagreed."

Ah, so Waters made no call for physical altercations when she said corner them at dept. stores and gas stations, create a crowd and tell them they're not welcome. It was just a policy discussion she was urging. Suuuuuuuure politifact.

But Donald Trump, on the other hand, he was CLEARLY calling for violence with his comments. No question at all, eh politifact? Eh Sam? So what if you have to read through the lines some.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

Also debunked.

LOL. SMH.
Sam Lowry
If Trump wasn't referring to violence, the interviewer gave him a perfect opportunity to clarify. It's telling that he chose not to.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Golem said:

Debunked.

Also debunked.

So, you disagree with your own politifact link that Waters was not calling for violence, but merely urging a policy discussion?

Hmm. You might consider that politifact has a credibility problem before posting future links in an attempt to debunk others.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.