Intelligent Design: Evidence, Proof, Myth or Other?

5,124 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a spin-off from another thread.

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualitieshis eternal power and divine naturehave been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." Romans 1:20

I have zero proof, just as I believe y'all will have zero proof. I do however have evidence and, as has has been my life experience, we do not base our lives on proof but on evidence.

So, here goes:
For spreading seeds, The maple samaras (yea) Dandelions (boo).

For our bodies, The clotting factor

For navigation generations apart, The monarch butterfly
For camouflage, the Great potoo and the zebra

I believe all of these show evidence of design and, there are literally millions more.

Now support it, shoot it it down or offer up your own.
ron.reagan
Instead of a designer making camouflage they could have just not made us all want to murder each other. Kind of a doofus move.
Wrecks Quan Dough
ron.reagan said:

Instead of a designer making camouflage they could have just not made us all want to murder each other. Kind of a doofus move.

Read the Bible. The first several chapters show that is the result of a deal mankind made with the devil, who was a murderer from the beginning.
BusyTarpDuster2017
"When you see a turtle on a fence post, you know it didn't get there by itself." - Bill Clinton
ron.reagan
He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

Read the Bible. The first several chapters show that is the result of a deal mankind made with the devil, who was a murderer from the beginning.
So the Zebra was in on this deal?
ron.reagan
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

"When you see a turtle on a fence post, you know it didn't get there by itself." - Bill Clinton
Apparently Clinton did grasp the concepts of tides or river flooding.

Creationism debunked:
Wrecks Quan Dough
ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

Everything was in on that deal.
ron.reagan
He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

How adults never grow out of this magical nonsense while also being capable of making it to the moon is a mystery to me.
Wrecks Quan Dough
ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

How adults never grow out of this magical nonsense while also being capable of making it to the moon is a mystery to me.
Maybe they are right and you are wrong.
ron.reagan
He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

Maybe. But so far the best evidence has been that turtles can't climb a fence and that God designed a Zebra to have camo even though at the time there was no reason for it.
Wrecks Quan Dough
ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

Maybe. But so far the best evidence has been that turtles can't climb a fence and that God designed a Zebra to have camo even though at the time there was no reason for it.
You don't read much when you are not on college message boards, do you?
ron.reagan
He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

Unfortunately mostly just nonfiction
Wrecks Quan Dough
ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

Sure. Spider Man is real, Ron. Run along now.
BusyTarpDuster2017
ron.reagan said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Creationism debunked:

You must not know what a fence post is to an Arkansas country boy. Or the kind of turtle that would fit on top of one.

Oh, and did you watch the video? Your turtle fell. He didn't make it.
Wrecks Quan Dough
4th and Inches
He Hate Me said:

oh snap!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
ron.reagan
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

ron.reagan said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Creationism debunked:

You must not know what a fence post is to an Arkansas country boy. Or the kind of turtle that would fit on top of one.

Oh, and did you watch the video? Your turtle fell. He didn't make it.
I didn't even watch the video. Anyone with an in ground pool in a turtle neighborhood knows they can climb. But here is one that will convert you to atheism I'm sure:

ron.reagan
He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

Sure. Spider Man is real, Ron. Run along now.
Wasn't Spider Man one of the disciples of Jesus?
LIB,MR BEARS
?auto=webp&quality=90&width=1150&fit=bounds&disable=upscale
LIB,MR BEARS
ron.reagan said:

Why do young married couples discuss how they will discipline their kids long before they even have kids; long before any kid has misbehaved?
Golem
ron.reagan said:

God gave you free will. You're the one who chose to be an a55hole.
LIB,MR BEARS
ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

He Hate Me said:

ron.reagan said:

Convenient mutations?

BusyTarpDuster2017
Since you seem to have difficulty understanding that a fence post is not a chained-link fence to young Bill Clinton, here's more of what he had in mind:

Wrecks Quan Dough
LIB,MR BEARS said:

?auto=webp&quality=90&width=1150&fit=bounds&disable=upscale

That is cinque trying to blend in with the Republicans.
LIB,MR BEARS
How does a bird know to incubate eggs by sitting on them?

How does an alligator know to incubate eggs by covering with decaying vegetation so the heat generated does the work?

How convenient is it that the decay of vegetation and dead animals puts nitrogen and ammonia back into the soil that benefits the systems that just died?

Wrecks Quan Dough
Darwinian evolution totally the reason for a bird being able to sound like R2D2 and a laser gun

Sam Lowry
He Hate Me said:

Darwinian evolution totally the reason for a bird being able to sound like R2D2 and a laser gun
Wait till you hear the tyrannosaurs that sound like baby elephants.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Sam Lowry said:

He Hate Me said:

Wait till you hear the tyrannosaurs that sound like baby elephants.

I would love to see that.
LIB,MR BEARS
ron.reagan said:

You didn't address spreading seeds, the clotting factor or navigation.

So far, your statements are on par with a three year old stomping their feet.

Do you have anything positive you'd like to add to the conversation?
LIB,MR BEARS
"The details differ, but the essential elements and the astronomical and biblical accounts of Genesis are the same; the chain of events leading to man commenced suddenly and sharply at a definite moment in time, in a flash of light and energy." Robert Jastrow

"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries." also Robert Jastrow

MT_Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

How does a bird know to incubate eggs by sitting on them?

How does an alligator know to incubate eggs by covering with decaying vegetation so the heat generated does the work?

Because all the ones that didn't have no living descendants.
MT_Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

ron.reagan said:

You didn't address spreading seeds, the clotting factor or navigation.

So far, your statements are on par with a three year old stomping their feet.

Do you have anything positive you'd like to add to the conversation?
Which clotting factor do you keep referring to? You keep saying "the clotting factor" even though there's many clotting factors.
MT_Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

I believe all of these show evidence of design and, there are literally millions more.

I'm curious as to how you see this as showing evidence of design. It shows evidence that camouflage is highly adaptive, but that fact in and of itself says nothing of the origin (many times over) of camouflage. It can be just as simply explained by mutation + selection as it can by intentional design coming from a god, so why does this provide evidence for one and not the other, in your mind?
LIB,MR BEARS
MT_Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

I'm curious as to how you see this as showing evidence of design. It shows evidence that camouflage is highly adaptive, but that fact in and of itself says nothing of the origin (many times over) of camouflage. It can be just as simply explained by mutation + selection as it can by intentional design coming from a god, so why does this provide evidence for one and not the other, in your mind?
When I see great art, I know there was an artist. When I see great engineering, I know there was an engineer.

The stripes on a single zebra may help repell biting flies but, they actually bring attention to the zebra. The stripes on a heard of zebras cause confusion (dazzle) and therefore provide protection. This hypothesis completely works against the idea of a successful mutation.

BaylorJacket
LIB,MR BEARS said:

This is a spin-off from another thread.

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualitieshis eternal power and divine naturehave been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." Romans 1:20

I have zero proof, just as I believe y'all will have zero proof. I do however have evidence and, as has has been my life experience, we do not base our lives on proof but on evidence.

So, here goes:
For spreading seeds, The maple samaras (yea) Dandelions (boo).

For our bodies, The clotting factor

For navigation generations apart, The monarch butterfly

Now support it, shoot it it down or offer up your own.

Intelligent design, as a concept, lacks key elements like empirical data, testable predictions, and falsifiability that define a scientific theory.

The examples you provided can be better explained through the lens of evolution by natural selection, which is supported by extensive empirical evidence.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.