Biden Admin appears to have given the green light to Iran's "proportionate" attack

1,975 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Sam Lowry
Mothra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has been corroborated by Turkey, Jordan and Iraq. It appears the US gave the greenlight to a "proportionate" attack, ensuring Iran through back channels it wouldn't respond to same. Pretty damning if true.

Biden continues to be completely incompetent on his foreign policy.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/2493301/middle-east

WASHINGTON/BAGHDAD/DUBAI: Turkish, Jordanian and Iraqi officials said on Sunday that Iran gave wide notice days before its drone and missile attack on Israel, but US officials said Tehran did not warn Washington and that it was aiming to cause significant damage.

Iran launched hundreds of drones and missiles on Saturday in a retaliatory strike after a suspected Israeli strike on its embassy compound in Syria.

Most of the drones and missiles were downed before reaching Israeli territory, though a young girl was critically injured and there were widespread concerns of further escalation.

Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian said on Sunday that Iran gave neighboring countries and Israel's ally the United States 72 hours' notice it would launch the strikes.

Turkiye's Foreign Ministry said it had spoken to both Washington and Tehran before the attack, adding it had conveyed messages as an intermediary to be sure reactions were proportionate.

"Iran said the reaction would be a response to Israel's attack on its embassy in Damascus and that it would not go beyond this. We were aware of the possibilities. The developments were not a surprise," said a Turkish diplomatic source.

One senior official in US President Joe Biden's administration denied Amirabdollahian's statement, saying Washington did have contact with Iran through Swiss intermediaries but did not get notice 72 hours in advance.

"That is absolutely not true," the official said. "They did not give a notification, nor did they give any sense of ... 'these will be the targets, so evacuate them.'"

Tehran sent the United States a message only after the strikes began and the intent was to be "highly destructive" said the official, adding that Iran's claim of a widespread warning may be an attempt to compensate for the lack of any major damage from the attack.

"We received a message from the Iranians as this was ongoing, through the Swiss. This was basically suggesting that they were finished after this, but it was still an ongoing attack. So that was (their) message to us," the US official said.

Iraqi, Turkish and Jordanian officials each said Iran had provided early warning of the attack last week, including some details.

The attack with drones, cruise missiles and ballistic missiles risked causing major casualties and escalating the conflict.

US officials said on Friday and Saturday they expected an imminent attack and urged Iran against one, with Biden tersely saying his only message to Tehran was: "Don't."

ESCALATION

Two Iraqi sources, including a government security adviser and a security official, said Iran had used diplomatic channels to inform Baghdad about the attack at least three days before it happened.

The exact timing of the attack was not disclosed at that point, but was passed to Iraqi security and military authorities hours before the strikes, allowing Baghdad to close its airspace and avoid fatal accidents.

"The government clearly understood from the Iranian officials that the US military in Iraq was also aware of the attack in advance," said the Iraqi security official.

A senior Jordanian official said Iran had summoned Arab envoys in Tehran on Wednesday to inform them of their intention to carry out an attack, though it did not specify the timing.

Asked if Iran had also given details about the targets and kind of weapons to be used, the Jordanian source did not respond directly but indicated that that was the case.

An Iranian source briefed on the matter said Iran had informed the US through diplomatic channels that included Qatar, Turkiye and Switzerland about the scheduled day of the attack, saying it would be conducted in a manner to avoid provoking a response.

How far escalation can be avoided remains in question. Biden has told Israel the United States will not join any Israeli retaliation, the US official said.

However, Israel is still weighing its response and will "exact the price from Iran in the fashion and timing that is right for us," Israeli minister Benny Gantz said on Sunday.
Frank Galvin
I read the article as Iran telling the Swiss that they were going to retaliate and be done. Not where, when or how. What do you think we should have done differently?
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Has been corroborated by Turkey, Jordan and Iraq. It appears the US gave the greenlight to a "proportionate" attack, ensuring Iran through back channels it wouldn't respond to same. Pretty damning if true.
I don't see where it says that.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Israel should give Iran 24 hours to abandon (evacuate people) from their oil production and nuclear facilities. Those that don't evacuate die. Plain and simple. Such an action would be applauded by most of the world.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
HuMcK
So Israel kills an Iranian general that planned and executed the 10/7 attack (great news), then Iran gets successfully threatened and cowed into responding only with an impotent, highly telegraphed, "attack" that mostly didn't even reach Israeli soil, in part because of a Western/Arab coalition assembled by the US to shoot it down...

And y'all call that embarrassing? For Iran it is, but not the US. Israel just took a fat dump on Iran and all Iran could manage to do for domestic public consumption was the same old "hold me back" routine, accomplishing exactly zero Iranian goals. Jordan, with a substantial Palestinian population, and Saudi Arabia even pitched in the thwart it. If this is where it stops for now, this isolated event was a 100% win for US (and Israeli) foreign policy and backchannel diplomacy.
Bestweekeverr
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Israel should give Iran 24 hours to abandon (evacuate people) from their oil production and nuclear facilities. Those that don't evacuate die. Plain and simple. Such an action would be applauded by most of the world.
Israel just traded the deaths of several high ranking Iranian military leaders for the shooting down of 99% of 300 missles fired at them that killed no one.

Israel got some revenge for those that planned 10/7, and looked superior defending itself. Somehow, it seems like Iran is cool with this exchange, I think it would be unwise for Israel to escalate forward.
Sam Lowry
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

If that were true they'd have done it a long time ago. It's not like Israel ever needed a reason.
Mothra
Linked the wrong article…

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/iran-informed-turkey-advance-its-operation-against-israel-turkish-source-2024-04-14/#:~:text=The%20Turkish%20source%2C%20speaking%20on,made%20aware%20of%20possible%20developments.

Iran informed us in advance of what would happen. Possible developments also came up during the meeting with Blinken, and they (the U.S.) conveyed to Iran through us that this reaction must be within certain limits," the source said.
Mothra
See the above link in response to Sam.
Mothra
HuMcK said:

So Israel kills an Iranian general that planned and executed the 10/7 attack (great news), then Iran gets successfully threatened and cowed into responding only with an impotent, highly telegraphed, "attack" that mostly didn't even reach Israeli soil, in part because of a Western/Arab coalition assembled by the US to shoot it down...

And y'all call that embarrassing? For Iran it is, but not the US. Israel just took a fat dump on Iran and all Iran could manage to do for domestic public consumption was the same old "hold me back" routine, accomplishing exactly zero Iranian goals. Jordan, with a substantial Palestinian population, and Saudi Arabia even pitched in the thwart it. If this is where it stops for now, this isolated event was a 100% win for US (and Israeli) foreign policy and backchannel diplomacy.

So, that response allegedly cost close to a billion dollars just FYI.

How about let's not give our enemies tacit approval to attack our allies in the ME. I think that was the more appropriate choice, if this report is true.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

If that were true they'd have done it a long time ago. It's not like Israel ever needed a reason.
Israel now has over 1,400 reasons. Sounds like most of the remaining hostages are dead.

Proportionate my ass. Israel's retaliation message needs to be a crushing one.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Frank Galvin
Mothra said:

See the above link in response to Sam.

The questions I have for the second article are: (1) what were the limits or (2) or what?

If we explained to Iran what would cause a direct US response on Iranian soil and Iran respected that decision, I am okay with that.
Wangchung
How is this shocking? Obama waited until after getting re-elected to kill the Missile defense shield that was supposed to go into Poland and allowed Putin to annex Crimea. Biden told Putin that a minor incursion into Ukraine would see a limited response from the US. Both administrations sent BILLIONS to Iran. Only an idiot would think that is all coincidence.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
ron.reagan
I think there is a 0% chance US gave the approval for Iran to launch ballistic missiles into Israel. I don't doubt that a lot of people would have welcomed sending a dozen drones that Israel could shoot down though and the world could move on.

Trump however admitted that Iran told them about launching ballistic missiles on a US airbase ahead of time and seemed to be fine with it.
Wangchung
ron.reagan said:

I think there is a 0% chance US gave the approval for Iran to launch ballistic missiles into Israel. I don't doubt that a lot of people would have welcomed sending a dozen drones that Israel could shoot down though and the world could move on.

Trump however admitted that Iran told them about launching ballistic missiles on a US airbase ahead of time and seemed to be fine with it.
"No way that happened, 0% chance it happened...but orange man bad, on the other hand..."
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
ron.reagan
Wangchung said:

ron.reagan said:

"No way that happened, 0% chance it happened...but orange man bad, on the other hand..."
Do you understand the difference between attacking Iraq and attacking US mainland? jfc
KaiBear
If Iran openly telegraphed their retaliation…….their people will
be furious.

If Iran didn't telegraph their retaliation…..their people will be embarrassed how easily Israel defeated the attack.

Either way Iran's Mullahs are going to be forced to up the ante.

This situation is not remotely over and is only going to escalate.
Wangchung
ron.reagan said:

Wangchung said:

ron.reagan said:

Do you understand the difference between attacking Iraq and attacking US mainland? jfc
"Obama would NEVER do that despite all the evidence to the contrary. Biden would NEVER do that despite all the evidence to the contrary. I bet Orange Man Bad did it despite no supporting evidence!"
ron.reagan
Wangchung said:

ron.reagan said:

Wangchung said:

ron.reagan said:

"Obama would NEVER do that despite all the evidence to the contrary. Biden would NEVER do that despite all the evidence to the contrary. I bet Orange Man Bad did it despite no supporting evidence!"

All of our presidents let US bases get attacked regularly. Is this your first day following middle east?
BearN
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Israel now has over 1,400 reasons. Sounds like most of the remaining hostages are dead.

Proportionate my ass. Israel's retaliation message needs to be a crushing one.
Even if it draws Russia further in to this, as Putin threatened it would, with China following?
BearN
HuMcK said:

^This seems the most likely to me

There is the possibility that Iran didn't give the backdoor signals and Israel (with US and Britain's help) just got extremely lucky they defeated the multiple waves of threats. But there is no way we as average citizens can know for sure.

One thing is for sure: the MIC is going to make money off of this.
BearN
Bestweekeverr said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Israel just traded the deaths of several high ranking Iranian military leaders for the shooting down of 99% of 300 missles fired at them that killed no one.

Israel got some revenge for those that planned 10/7, and looked superior defending itself. Somehow, it seems like Iran is cool with this exchange, I think it would be unwise for Israel to escalate forward.
Agree. Unless Israel has actionable intelligence that allows them to take out Iran's supposed emerging nuclear capabilities, they should not escalate further with Iran directly, redirect on finishing off the dirty business of clearing out Hamas from Gaza, continue to strengthen defenses and gather intel for any future larger attack from Iran. But this just buys them a little more time possibly. It's not if, but when Iran attacks. They've gotten billions of dollars from Biden, and they are itching to spend it on more terror when the time is right.
The_barBEARian
Iran spent $30 Million on their missile attack.

US tax payers spent $1 Billion.
KaiBear
The_barBEARian said:

I

At a minimum.
The_barBEARian
KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

I

At a minimum.

Let Israel fight its own wars.

As w/ with Ukraine, any Christian/gentile Zionists who want to sacrifice themselves for Israel are more than welcome to buy a plane ticket and join the fight on their own dime.

Same goes for these jihadi Islamist sympathizing leftists.
BearN
The_barBEARian said:

replacement cost of the $1Billion in weapons will be $2Billion in 2024 dollars. #winning
BearN
The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

I

At a minimum.

As w/ with Ukraine, any Christian/gentile Zionists who want to sacrifice themselves for Israel are more than welcome to buy a plane ticket and join the fight on their own dime.

Problem with that is that if Israel gets to the point where they are on the verge of losing a conventional war with Iran and their partners, then Israel will level them with nukes. You sure you want to go down that road?
The_barBEARian
BearN said:

The_barBEARian said:

replacement cost of the $1Billion in weapons will be $2Billion in 2024 dollars. #winning

This is why anyone sabre rattling and wanting war right now is my enemy.

Iran said they are done. Israel is once again on top in the body count score.

Lets end it now!
Frank Galvin
BearN said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

I

At a minimum.

Problem with that is that if Israel gets to the point where they are on the verge of losing a conventional war with Iran and their partners, then Israel will level them with nukes. You sure you want to go down that road?
My guess is the reverse of that scenario is the more likely concern.
BearN
The_barBEARian said:

BearN said:

The_barBEARian said:

Lets end it now!
I agree with this 100%
The_barBEARian
BearN said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

I

At a minimum.

We should be energy independent in this country.

If we have taken in too many people, its time to start deporting and taking away citizenship.

This country has been robbed of generational wealth and it makes you wonder who stands to gain from America being dependent on the Middle East for energy?
KaiBear
The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

I

At a minimum.

No argument.

If just a handful of all these Warhawk politicians found themselves on the front lines with a rifle in their hands and a morphine kit strapped to their hip……..US foreign policy might finally exhibit some common sense .
BearN
Frank Galvin said:

BearN said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

I

At a minimum.

Do you mean Iran nuking Israel? Yes, that is certainly a possibility. But why is that more of a concern for you?

I don't think Israel wants open war with Iran, but they aren't going to back down, either.

So in my opinion, if Iran were to attack Israel with nukes, it would not be because Iran was on the brink of losing a conventional war. I don't see a scenario where Israel would be rolling tanks in to Tehran. lol. Israel is not an existential threat to Iran. If Iran were to nuke Israel, it would be because they finally have nukes.
Malbec
The_barBEARian said:

BearN said:

The_barBEARian said:

Lets end it now!
Ending a war is easy. They make white flags that work wonders for that. Anti-Israeli activists and protestors want collateral Palestinian deaths to stop? Carry some banners around that say, "Save Palestinian Lives - Hamas Lay Down Your Arms and Surrender."
Frank Galvin
BearN said:

Frank Galvin said:

BearN said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

I

At a minimum.

Do you mean Iran nuking Israel? Yes, that is certainly a possibility. But why is that more of a concern for you?

I don't think Israel wants open war with Iran, but they aren't going to back down, either.

So in my opinion, if Iran were to attack Israel with nukes, it would not be because Iran was on the brink of losing a conventional war. I don't see a scenario where Israel would be rolling tanks in to Tehran. lol. Israel is not an existential threat to Iran. If Iran were to nuke Israel, it would be because they finally have nukes.
My point was that Israel was not going to be "about to lose a conventional war with Iran." Israel's military is vastly superior. Moderate Arab states are not going to interfere, they would lover to see Iran marginalized. In any full-scale Iran-Israel conflict, Israel would have our full backing. Israel would never need to resort to nukes. Iran would almost certainly have to if it had them.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.