FLBear5630 said:Mothra said:FLBear5630 said:Mothra said:Tempus Edax Rerum said:Mothra said:fubar said:GrowlTowel said:
Funny thing is, 25 years ago it was the wacky liberals that generally opposed big pharmaceutical and vaccines.
$$$$
I'm probably a bit older than you (I'm 64), but I don't remember anybody opposing vaccines 25 years ago. I remember a measles outbreak when I was a junior at BU -- fall of 1982 -- but I don't remember people opposing vaccines.
But even if they did then, why in the world would MAGA "conservatives" oppose a measles vaccine now?
Vaccine schedule - and the incidence of childhood disorders like autism and ADD - were much smaller back then. You and I got around 5 immunizations as children. Last time I checked, today's kids get around 70.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2026/09/260924020405.htm
https://news.yale.edu/2026/05/01/many-genes-have-been-linked-autism-new-study-suggests-it-may-be-their-path-brain-matters
https://www.mountsinai.org/about/newsroom/2026/new-research-reveals-autism-risk-genes-are-shared-across-ancestries
https://www.cnn.com/2026/08/27/health/autism-treatment-new-map-study
I am not sure anyone has ever disputed a genetic component to autism. Indeed, most diseases have genetic components. The question is, what other environmental factors are contributing to the astronomical increase in autism? We know it's not genetics, because that hasn't changed. Some of it can be attributed to better diagnoses, but most studies that have looked at it say that's only a small factor. So the big question is what happened around 1986 to cause the diagnoses to go through the roof...
There is a plausible explanation.
This has been studied extensively. Here is an NIH peer reviewed study. It looks at all the risk factors.
Personally, I think #6 is of interest as it talks of pre-birth stress on mothers during gestation. Women working in the work force and 2 income families have put women in high stress situations the whole preganancy. Can't help but wonder about that impact.
Environmental factors influencing the risk of autism - PMC
Ironically, your link largely supports the point I was making.
First, that is not an "NIH study." It is a 2017 review article that is housed in PubMed Central. More importantly, the authors did not conduct a new population study that somehow identified "all the risk factors." They reviewed previously published literature concerning a variety of reported environmental associations.
And the central premise of the article is that autism is multifactorial, involving both genetic susceptibility and environmental influences. In other words, that is essentially the question I was raising: if genetics alone cannot explain changes occurring over a relatively short period of time, what environmental factors, possibly interacting with genetic susceptibility, might be involved?
The studies definitively alleging that there is no link between vaccines and autism don't really exist, or they are extremely flawed, as anyone who's done a deep dive on this issue can attest.
Geez, it was a resource. I pointed out one of the conclusions that seemed interesting. That is all. NIH, PubMed, are usually reliable sources. Nothing more.
You alleged it had been studied extensively, and then posted a study that didn't support your position (and in fact, supported mine). I am not sure what you expected in response.
It hasn't been studied extensively. You're just making stuff up because that's the standard line from your ilk. You don't actually do the research, and haven't been personally affected by a vaccine injury. You just rely on general knowledge because that's what you want to believe. Be honest about it.